Jake Carlisle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Re: Jake Carlisle

Still that is exactly the sort of deal we will be flat out trying to negotiate. As for the earlier question of his value, my point is that we sent a signal to Essendon as to what he was worth to us and they asked for it. If you examine the mooted Hawks/ Nth / Ess deal using the new points system, as others have pointed out, it values Carlisle around pick 6 or 7. Maybe not what Haw will pay him but what the clubs jointly will have paid for him. We set that value.

ace
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote:could see something along these lines being worked on:

3 team trade - Saints, Suns, Power

Saints get: pick 10 (port) and pick 29 (port)
Gold Coast get: Pick 5 (saints) and Pick 42 (saints)
Power get: Charlie Dixon and pick 35(suns)

Saints then trade pick 10 and next years 2nd round to Essendon for Jake Carlisle

Trade pick 24 to Collingwood for Freeman

Use pick 29 on Bailey rice.
If we finish in the same place on ladder next year our 2nd round is pick 23 assuming no mid and end of first round free agency compensations.
Pick 10 = 1,395 points
2016 pick 23 = 815 points
Total for Carlisle = 2,210 points - that is half way between pick 3 and 4.
Pick 5 is only 1,878 points.

The pertinent points are
Hawthorn has effectively offered Essendon value somewhere between pick 6 & 7 for Carlisle.
Carlisle is believed to have failed to say NO to Clarkson, so Hawthorn could proceed.
St Kilda has to provide Essendon with value at least pick 6 if it wants Carlisle, pay him an excessive salary and risk a WADA suspension.

The only way we get Carlisle, the excessive salary and the risk of the WADA suspension is by giving up pick 5 or next years first round pick.
Let Hawthorn do what they will do.
Move on Saints, Carlisle is not for us.
Last edited by ace on Fri 16 Oct 2015 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
amusingname
Club Player

Should have stated from the outset, I am not really too fussed about getting carlisle and am leaning towards wanting to keep pick 5, just trying to think of a scenario that if our brains trust are really hell bent on Carlisle but just don't want to give up 5 on principle now.

ace
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote:Should have stated from the outset, I am not really too fussed about getting carlisle and am leaning towards wanting to keep pick 5, just trying to think of a scenario that if our brains trust are really hell bent on Carlisle but just don't want to give up 5 on principle now.
It is give up pick 5 or move on.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Hi all,
Quick question, has any club during the trade period gone to the AFL and said “If we trade for a player listed in WADA’s Charge Sheet against Essendon’s 20112 program, will the AFL compensate/insure us with an equivalent player/draft pick, in the event that we trade, and the player is suspended by WADA?”

Surely St Kilda or another club, is asking the AFL this question (discreetly) when dealing on "Essendon 34" players.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
bozza1980
Club Player

IanRush wrote:Hi all,
Quick question, has any club during the trade period gone to the AFL and said “If we trade for a player listed in WADA’s Charge Sheet against Essendon’s 20112 program, will the AFL compensate/insure us with an equivalent player/draft pick, in the event that we trade, and the player is suspended by WADA?”

Surely St Kilda or another club, is asking the AFL this question (discreetly) when dealing on "Essendon 34" players.
There is no way the AFL will insure clubs against this.

It is not as if the clubs don't know the possible sanctions hanging over the heads of these players, it has to be a case of "buyer beware".

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

bozza1980 wrote:

It is not as if the clubs don't know the possible sanctions hanging over the heads of these players, it has to be a case of "buyer beware".
So why is the AFL letting player trades happen for these 34 players then?

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
longtimesaint
Club Player

IanRush wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:

Clubs that are trading with Essendon know there is a risk with the players subject to the WADA investigation.

One year will be our year
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

So how about we call Essendon's bluff back, and see what sort of ego they really have....

Offer up 5 and 24, for Carlisle and Essendon's 2016 1st round pick.

Bombers probably expect they'll finish top 4 next year, thinking they're getting a great deal.

It's a risk, but i think i'd be pretty happy with that.

Thoughts??

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

longtimesaint wrote:
IanRush wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:

Clubs that are trading with Essendon know there is a risk with the players subject to the WADA investigation.
Totally agree, the angle I’m coming from is whether the AFL has issued a memo to all clubs on this issue.

From an outsider’s eye, I support St Kilda’s stance in not offering Pick 5 for Carlisle, it’s good negotiating, and common sense.

As someone said above, Adrian Dodoro was a co-investor in the dodgy Armstrong Creek property deal involving Mark Casey (Ess Coterie Club), Bomber Thomspon and Justin Madden (who signed off on the suspect land re-zoning for Armstrong Creek in 2010).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lets just move on IMO. Top kid, Freeman, Rice.

If the Hawks put 15 and 18 on the table - its game over.

But boy do we have to make pick 5 count. Cannot stuff it up. Stringer and Do Goey are the last two pick 5s.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

IanRush wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
IanRush wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:

Totally agree, the angle I’m coming from is whether the AFL has issued a memo to all clubs on this issue.

From an outsider’s eye, I support St Kilda’s stance in not offering Pick 5 for Carlisle, it’s good negotiating, and common sense.

As someone said above, Adrian Dodoro was a co-investor in the dodgy Armstrong Creek property deal involving Mark Casey (Ess Coterie Club), Bomber Thomspon and Justin Madden (who signed off on the suspect land re-zoning for Armstrong Creek in 2010).
Yeah but if we wanted Carlisle - like we said we did - we needed to get a suitable pick. Something between 10-14 - but we werent able to do a that for whatever reason. Now the horse has bolted.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
IanRush wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
IanRush wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:

Yeah but if we wanted Carlisle - like we said we did - we needed to get a suitable pick. Something between 10-14 - but we werent able to do a that for whatever reason. Now the horse has bolted.
Has Carlisle been traded to Hawthorn?
If not then how has 'the horse bolted'
Surely we're still in negotiations until we either state we're no longer interested or Essendon trade him somewhere else.
Until either of those scenarios eventuate then AFAIK we are still his preferred destination and therefore still able to secure him (somehow).

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Lets just move on IMO. Top kid, Freeman, Rice.

If the Hawks put 15 and 18 on the table - its game over.

But boy do we have to make pick 5 count. Cannot stuff it up. Stringer and Do Goey are the last two pick 5s.
I agree and with the news that Brisbane are looking at Curnow as their pick, we may have a pick or Parish, Francis, Mathesion or a couple of others.

Really we should just let Carlisle go and concentrate on others.

We still have four days with a massive SC war chest, still have to land Freeman and can still get a backman or even another mid.

We aren't challenging next year so plenty of time to get a big backman. Just make sure they are not from theses Essendon crim scumbags

You are garbage - Enough said
longtimesaint
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
IanRush wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
IanRush wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:

Carlisle has indicated that he wants to go the Saints and will consider Hawthorn rather than going into the draft.
That should mean we have until next Thursday to continue negotiations before the threat of going into the draft is a reality.

Surely we're still in negotiations until we either state we're no longer interested or Essendon trade him somewhere else.
Until either of those scenarios eventuate then AFAIK we are still his preferred destination and therefore still able to secure him (somehow).

One year will be our year
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
IanRush wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
IanRush wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:

Carlisle has indicated that he wants to go the Saints and will consider Hawthorn rather than going into the draft.
That should mean we have until next Thursday to continue negotiations before the threat of going into the draft is a reality.

What are we still negotiating? We either have a suitable trade or we dont. Apparently we dont. We had weeks to sort it out and come up with a fair deal.
We needed to get to a pick 10-14 but we failed to do so. There is nothing left to negotiate.

saintjake
Club Player

Shut up you grumpy old galoot^

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
IanRush wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
IanRush wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:

What are we still negotiating? We either have a suitable trade or we dont. Apparently we dont. We had weeks to sort it out and come up with a fair deal.
We needed to get to a pick 10-14 but we failed to do so. There is nothing left to negotiate.

Does the trade period end today?

You are garbage - Enough said
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Perhaps St.Kilda is waiting on another trade before they make a decision on what to give for Jake, like Dixon from Gold Coast to Port Adelaide. Perhaps we're trading pick 5 to the Suns for 2 picks. Just an idea.

Grrrrr
Club Player

Saints have made an offer...

However it is confidential at this stage.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-10-1 ... to-bombers

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Grrrrr wrote:Saints have made an offer...

The plot thickens.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Grrrrr wrote:Saints have made an offer...

Must involve a player to be confidential.

Anyone care to guess who the player might be? Ross + 24 seems plausible. Bombers need to replace Watson and Stanton.

I'd be a bit sad as I like the kid and think hes going to make it. But it might be the only way. If we get Matho/Milera/Oliver with pick 5 it will be a good consolation.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:Perhaps St.Kilda is waiting on another trade before they make a decision on what to give for Jake, like Dixon from Gold Coast to Port Adelaide. Perhaps we're trading pick 5 to the Suns for 2 picks. Just an idea.
How long can we wait? Trade period is almost over and we have already had weeks to work it out.

saintjake
Club Player

Bombers rejected the offer.
The way I read the release.. It's very much one of those "read between the lines things"
The offer we gave would not have been pick 5 and not something Essendon would like. But we've now offered something, that both the club and Carlisle believe is fair.. Paving a way for Carlisle to leave for nothing.

He said he didn't want to leave the club with nothing. But if they keep rejecting our offer, he has every right to leave.

saintjake
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Perhaps St.Kilda is waiting on another trade before they make a decision on what to give for Jake, like Dixon from Gold Coast to Port Adelaide. Perhaps we're trading pick 5 to the Suns for 2 picks. Just an idea.
How long can we wait? Trade period is almost over and we have already had weeks to work it out.

Another whole week. Why are you so desperate to get it done ASAP.