Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Geary

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 15 Sep 2020 6:48pm
sunsaint wrote: Tue 15 Sep 2020 6:25pm I have sat back read this thread with interest without comment because as clearly pointed out unless you have played this game at the highest level you have no right to comment or have an opinion
that said - here is an observation from the stands in regards to the geary/darling marking contest
There had just been an interchange and it was pointed out at the time that geary was taking his time getting back into defence almost caught game watching the ball in our forwardline.

So yes from a tv stand point he was not going to make the contest & yes he was a step short and would have been a solid front on collision. But it did mean that we were caught out with the wrong match ups

Regardless of a few contests the club clearly favours Geary in the side (atm).
Conversely, Carlisle is most definitely on the outer being shopped last year and selection omissions this year.
I appreciate what you are saying sunsaint, whilst many would have you believe that not playing at the highest level means your opinion is wrong or not as valid, is a flog. It would be the end of forums, the end of journalism, the end of presidency's.

An opinion is just that, an opinion, true, fair or wrong. A lot of the time made without all the information. That said, we must believe Ratts, Lethers, etc has all the information so we get to critique.

Gears, a player I dreamed could be our Maxwell. Sadly he does not have the cattle to be that, add to that his abilities at his age and he's a liability. Time to let the club & players progress. Thank you for your service Gears.
Well said GL.

I have to admit that I have never been overwhelmed with Geary's appointment as captain because it has always been my belief that it is fundamental for a team's captain to be able to lead by example, to set the standard, and in my book, as much as he has given long and loyal service, Geary has never possessed the playing skills to provide that sort of leadership.

This is especially crucial for a team with a young list.

Look at any team in the comp and you will find that they are all led by a player with elite skills.

I have no argument with Geary being a good clubman but find it really disappointing that when he is clearly not in the team's "best 22", the selectors refuse to leave him out in lieu of a much better player.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 9:05am
sunsaint wrote: Tue 15 Sep 2020 6:25pm I have sat back read this thread with interest without comment because as clearly pointed out unless you have played this game at the highest level you have no right to comment or have an opinion
that said - here is an observation from the stands in regards to the geary/darling marking contest
There had just been an interchange and it was pointed out at the time that geary was taking his time getting back into defence almost caught game watching the ball in our forwardline.

So yes from a tv stand point he was not going to make the contest & yes he was a step short and would have been a solid front on collision. But it did mean that we were caught out with the wrong match ups

Conversely, Carlisle is most definitely on the outer being shopped last year and selection omissions this year.
I appreciate what you are saying sunsaint, whilst many would have you believe that not playing at the highest level means your opinion is wrong or not as valid, is a flog. It would be the end of forums, the end of journalism, the end of presidency's.

An opinion is just that, an opinion, true, fair or wrong. A lot of the time made without all the information. That said, we must believe Ratts, Lethers, etc has all the information so we get to critique.

Gears, a player I dreamed could be our Maxwell. Sadly he does not have the cattle to be that, add to that his abilities at his age and he's a liability. Time to let the club & players progress. Thank you for your service Gears.
Well said GL.

I have to admit that I have never been overwhelmed with Geary's appointment as captain because it has always been my belief that it is fundamental for a team's captain to be able to lead by example, to set the standard, and in my book, as much as he has given long and loyal service, Geary has never possessed the playing skills to provide that sort of leadership.

Look at any team in the comp and you will find that they are all led by a player with elite skills.

I have no argument with Geary being a good clubman but find it really disappointing that when he is clearly not in the team's "best 22", the selectors refuse to leave him out in lieu of a much better player.
Ports Captain? Hawthorn's Captain? Adelaides ?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

After watching Joffa talk about the club in the 80's, I begin to understand all the heraldry about Geary, ok I get it. Joffa might not have retired either but at some point the penny has to drop.
This Friday, if we win, he can announce his retirement and we can win a final for Gears, but this recycling of fringe players through selection to avoid the obvious has become incredibly frustrating.
If we lose and he doesn't retire, he will be dropped round 1 next year.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 9:16am

Well said GL.

Ahhh what?

Tom Jonas is a terrific defender and comfortably sits in Port's best 6 players. Stratton was in Hawthorn's best 6 players last year (hugely underrated) and like his team - fell off a cliff this year and is retiring.

I'd rather have Rory Sloane's left knacker in our team before Gears in his present deteriorating state. That Sloane missed 2.5 months with a thumb isn't his fault and he still possesses the requisite skill and to be in position in Adelaide's top 6 players. No great surprise that Adelaide have improved markedly since his recent return.

Stop making things up and concentrate on umpiring matters instead

Go you red, black & white warriors
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 12:44pm

Well said GL.

Ahhh what?

Tom Jonas is a terrific defender and comfortably sits in Port's best 6 players. Stratton was in Hawthorn's best 6 players last year (hugely underrated) and like his team - fell off a cliff this year and is retiring.

I'd rather have Rory Sloane's left knacker in our team before Gears in his present deteriorating state. That Sloane missed 2.5 months with a thumb isn't his fault and he still possesses the requisite skill and to be in position in Adelaide's top 6 players. No great surprise that Adelaide have improved markedly since his recent return.

Wasn't mentioning ability the poster said all the other AFL captains had elite skills those three while all good in other areas they do not have elite skills.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 12:49pm

Well said GL.

Ahhh what?

Wasn't mentioning ability the poster said all the other AFL captains had elite skills those three while all good in other areas they do not have elite skills.
Strongly agree to disagree Curly. Jonas is a beast of a defender and rarely gets beaten one-on-one. In some ways - it's his continued development that meant Port's trading of Howard hasn't come back to bite them so hard. He's absolutely elite.

My Ex is a Dawks supporter and I've had to endure watching a lot of them over the duration and I can tell you Stratton was very much elite for tackling and intercept marking. Before Siciliy came along - Stratton bridged the gap between Brian Lake-era and Siciliy. He's been a very good player in a very good team. He's a lot like Geary in that he's been able to play on talls and smalls. But his decision-making and kicking off half back was absolutely elite. Hard to see it if you're not looking in an era littered with other Dawks guns

As for Sloane - my God we need his skill set now. He's always been in the upper echelon of inside midfielders and also, he was AA in 2016.

Go you red, black & white warriors
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He should do the right thing by the club and retire at the end of the year.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 1:38pm
CURLY wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 12:49pm

Well said GL.

Ahhh what?

Strongly agree to disagree Curly. Jonas is a beast of a defender and rarely gets beaten one-on-one. In some ways - it's his continued development that meant Port's trading of Howard hasn't come back to bite them so hard. He's absolutely elite.

My Ex is a Dawks supporter and I've had to endure watching a lot of them over the duration and I can tell you Stratton was very much elite for tackling and intercept marking. Before Siciliy came along - Stratton bridged the gap between Brian Lake-era and Siciliy. He's been a very good player in a very good team. He's a lot like Geary in that he's been able to play on talls and smalls. But his decision-making and kicking off half back was absolutely elite. Hard to see it if you're not looking in an era littered with other Dawks guns

As for Sloane - my God we need his skill set now. He's always been in the upper echelon of inside midfielders and also, he was AA in 2016.
That's all true no doubt but if we are going down that path you'd say Geary has elite endurance and defensive skills also. Leadership skills can't be judged either from us in the distance.

One of the funnier things is a outsider commenting on a players leadership skills,

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Love that the number 1 thing you went with to justify Geary's selection is 'endurance' :lol:

This isn't the running team, this is football! Give me someone who has elite footy skills and can pick his team up and drag them across the line, like Roo or Lenny or Harves or Hamill etc etc

Maybe call him up on the phone and let him know that it's probably a better idea to leave before you get pushed!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 2:52pm Love that the number 1 thing you went with to justify Geary's selection is 'endurance' :lol:

This isn't the running team, this is football! Give me someone who has elite footy skills and can pick his team up and drag them across the line, like Roo or Lenny or Harves or Hamill etc etc

Maybe call him up on the phone and let him know that it's probably a better idea to leave before you get pushed!

Notice you chose to ignore defensive skills. But then again your the type of clown who gives votes after he checks stats.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 2:56pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 2:52pm Love that the number 1 thing you went with to justify Geary's selection is 'endurance' :lol:

Notice you chose to ignore defensive skills. But then again your the type of clown who gives votes after he checks stats.
Yep, he doesn’t know footy like a 400 game legend of the sport 👍

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 3:01pm

Again with the legend line. Are you the Duds parrot?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 16 Sep 2020 3:02pm

Nobodies parrot, and disagree with Dud as much as I agree with him.

Personally I find it amusing that you regularly write to others that "they haven't played the game" or they "don't know footy" and refer to yourself as a 400 game player to validate your opinion whilst constantly contradicting yourself & writing the dumbest and most uneducated posts I have read on this or any other forum for that matter.

Keep in mind I am an uneducated, lowbrow, senseless Bogan, so suggesting your posts are the dumbest I've read is a long stretch, but I'm confident in the accuracy of my assessment from your body of work.

The reason I write you are taking the piss from others, is I don't believe that anyone could write what you write on here and be actually serious, particularly from a 400 games legend of the sport.

Now if my opinion on your posts coincides with dud, so be it, but no, not a dud parrot.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Maybe read the first sentence again... :lol:

And someone with 'elite defensive skill' wouldn't have panicked and given away a free kick in the goal square in a simple one-on-one contest at a crucial time in the game...

The game has passed him by, he is holding back the team, time to move on.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 2:52pm

And someone with 'elite defensive skill' wouldn't have panicked and given away a free kick in the goal square in a simple one-on-one contest at a crucial time in the game...

Your 100% right again no elite defenders have ever conceded a free kick. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

certainly none that ever wore the red white black
hey curly?

Seeya
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 2:58pm

Your 100% right again no elite defenders have ever conceded a free kick. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
To be fair, he was up against that superstar Oscar Allen... :shock:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Certainly not if they were St.Kilda defenders. If they had a free kick paid against them it would have been blatant cheating.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 5:13pm

To be fair, he was up against that superstar Oscar Allen... :shock:
Yep and if that was a free they have to be cheating not to pay ONE the whole game to King Marshall Battle or Membrey.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 5:27pm

Certainly not if they were St.Kilda defenders. If they had a free kick paid against them it would have been blatant cheating.
See Oscar Allens free and watch every marking contest involving a StKilda forward. They did not receive one free and if the Geary contact was a free they chose to ignore contact the way.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 2:40pm

Personally I find it amusing that you regularly write to others that "they haven't played the game" or they "don't know footy" and refer to yourself as a 400 game player to validate your opinion whilst constantly contradicting yourself & writing the dumbest and most uneducated posts I have read on this or any other forum for that matter.

Keep in mind I am an uneducated, lowbrow, senseless Bogan, so suggesting your posts are the dumbest I've read is a long stretch, but I'm confident in the accuracy of my assessment from your body of work.

The reason I write you are taking the piss from others, is I don't believe that anyone could write what you write on here and be actually serious, particularly from a 400 games legend of the sport.

Now if my opinion on your posts coincides with dud, so be it, but no, not a dud parrot.
The big question is, in how many of those “400 games” was Curly happy with umpiring??

:D

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 7:20pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 2:40pm

The big question is, in how many of those “400 games” was Curly happy with umpiring??

:D

Like I’ve said umpires chose to umpire differently. When Winmar played with us the umpires wanted to be part of it and were our best friends.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 5:57pm
st.byron wrote: Thu 17 Sep 2020 5:27pm

See Oscar Allens free and watch every marking contest involving a StKilda forward. They did not receive one free and if the Geary contact was a free they chose to ignore contact the way.
It’s like a dog with a bone. Absolute tunnel vision.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Think it's time for Gears. Hoist the Cup and have that as the lasting memory of a solid career.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I’d rather Geary keep his spot on the list than Ross and Lonie, but he will need to relinquish the captaincy