Cousins to announce preferred club tomorrow

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

What did Kerr say / do ??

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:What did Kerr say / do ??
On ABC news, when asked on whether he felt Cousins should stay an Eagle, he pretty much gave a straight "No" for an answer.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Well the talk in Perth is that The Eagles might re-draft Cousins. Kerr did say he'd like to see him back at the club. Was on the news

matrix
Saintsational Legend

wont happen...
cousins to vic.

saintm
Club Player

Moccha wrote:Well the talk in Perth is that The Eagles might re-draft Cousins. Kerr did say he'd like to see him back at the club. Was on the news
Worsfold and Sumich also said they would agree if it was what the playing group wanted and would take the matter up with the Board. Saintbrat posted a link to an article regarding this earlier in this thread. Seemed to think it would not get passed the WCE Board, though.

As a separate matter, yesterday's interview on Channel 7 apparently earned Ben $30,000 according to the papers today. Would be interesting to know if the "nominating a Club yesterday" was hype to get people to watch or whether it was pulled at the last minute, as Ricky Nixon said, for fear of prejudicing the draft.

I'm not sure that Channel 7 got too many exclusives for their money (if the figure quoted in the press is correct) as an interview Ben did with Garry Lyon at a Grand Final luncheon on Friday was widely publicised in yesterday's press.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

I think he'll be in the black and white next year. Sad.

RoseInOz
Club Player

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

RoseInOz wrote:http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 60,00.html

Wonder what Ben thinks about this.
well hopefully collingwood do our dirty work, they get the p.i etc, conduct interviews...

hopefully cousins turns out clean and well on the way to becoming a better person

then...

he wants to and gets to the saints

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I hope so! Would be great to see him in Red White & Black.

However, after a heated debate with a non-St Kilda supporter and primarily NRL supprter, a few interesting arguments were put forward:

a) Do you really want your children wearing his number on their back and have them looking up to him as a role model?

b) Should he even be allowed to play considering that his actions have been well documented and could have a profound impact on the younger generation who are the ones that are more inclined to experiment with drugs? Was his punishment significant enough to convince them that there are dire consequences to taking drugs? Or will they look up to him and think 'if Ben Cousins can do it, so can I!"

c) Are we excusing him of his indiscretions and believe that the above is OK and surmountable because we so desperately want his talent at our club? In other words, are we willing to compromise our standards for such a player in the belief that he will win us a flag? Especially considering he is a player that comes with a lot of risk and no guarantees......

These were only a couple of arguments that were put forward to me and I was interested to hear what other Saints supporters think?

I believe he deserves a second chance and it would be a wonderful football story to see him back clean and successful....however, I am not sure whether or not my motives are pure.....

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

two years out of the game is surely a massive penalty in cousins mind...nothing to do with what we (or anyone for that matter) think an appropriate ban is however what is done is done

we should look at what we have infront of us...an amazingly talented footballer who (hopefully) wants play afl with st kilda

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:two years out of the game is surely a massive penalty in cousins mind...nothing to do with what we (or anyone for that matter) think an appropriate ban is however what is done is done

we should look at what we have infront of us...an amazingly talented footballer who (hopefully) wants play afl with st kilda
You didn't answer all the points in question. Do you want your son or daughter wearing his number on their back and looking up to him as a hero? I know I struggled with that point when it was put to me.

Put his talent and ability aside for a moment and ask yourself the questions.

As I mentioned in my earlier post. I want him at St Kilda and I think from seeing various interviews in the last few months that he has changed and is trying to get piece his life back together. However, I did struggle with the question about my children looking up to this man as a hero.

Batnoe

saint75 wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:two years out of the game is surely a massive penalty in cousins mind...nothing to do with what we (or anyone for that matter) think an appropriate ban is however what is done is done

You didn't answer all the points in question. Do you want your son or daughter wearing his number on their back and looking up to him as a hero? I know I struggled with that point when it was put to me.

As I mentioned in my earlier post. I want him at St Kilda and I think from seeing various interviews in the last few months that he has changed and is trying to get piece his life back together. However, I did struggle with the question about my children looking up to this man as a hero.

Depends on how old my son/daughter were!

If they were 6-7 well then they wouldnt understand what was going on

If they were 12-13 they wouldnt know what the fuss was about

if they were 15-16 they've probably tried it

I think he is a good footballer, i want him on the park and want him to play for us

Batnoe

Wendall Sailior has made a successful comeback and hasn't been near the drugs

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

The NRL is a WHOLE other topic entirely. They reward their players (depending on their status of course) for taking Drugs. Just ask Johns! After he came out about his drug indiscretions on the Sydney footy show (pathetic interview by the way which was swayed in Johns favour to make the damage as minimal as possible), he was awarded player of the year! Didn't see reporters chasing him to the ends of the earth ala Ben Cousins and the infamous footage of him arriving in the US!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:The NRL is a WHOLE other topic entirely. They reward their players (depending on their status of course) for taking Drugs. Just ask Johns! After he came out about his drug indiscretions on the Sydney footy show (pathetic interview by the way which was swayed in Johns favour to make the damage as minimal as possible), he was awarded player of the year! Didn't see reporters chasing him to the ends of the earth ala Ben Cousins and the infamous footage of him arriving in the US!
Player of the year. Had he not already retired through injury when he did the interview?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
saint75 wrote:The NRL is a WHOLE other topic entirely. They reward their players (depending on their status of course) for taking Drugs. Just ask Johns! After he came out about his drug indiscretions on the Sydney footy show (pathetic interview by the way which was swayed in Johns favour to make the damage as minimal as possible), he was awarded player of the year! Didn't see reporters chasing him to the ends of the earth ala Ben Cousins and the infamous footage of him arriving in the US!
Player of the year. Had he not already retired through injury when he did the interview?
Yes, he had retired but it was well known amongst those in the know before he went public. Regardless of that, why should he be rewarded? But I digress, the NRL is of no concern to me (except for the Grand Final this coming weekend! :D)

Anyway, back to BC. If we should be the successful club that signs Cousins, how many people will stand by that decision if:
a) He relapses or
b) He pulls his hamstring again and spends a fair amount of time on the sidelines

Are you ready to back the club in this decision regardless of which way the cards fall? Will there be no outcries and moaning on the forums if (heaven forbid) the worst should happen?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:

good role model for adolescents???

i think in this situation of signing him or not we are going to be criticized regardelss, on this forum people are going to vent about cousins being part of us too

damned if we do damned if we don't

foremost we should be in the business of winning flags...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Back to the OP and whether or not the Wet Toast E Girls would re-draft him. Woosher & Suma have said they would think about it but the Board would not. My mail is that if they were to re-draft Benny Boy they would be looking for a whole new set of sponsors as the current crop would walk away !!

SaintWal
Club Player

In his very measured responses both myself and others were of the opinion that Collingwood would be off the list. That is definitely not to say that the Saints are on it, however if MG is proof, no off field problems and hardly a headline in 2 years, you would think he would have to be impressed. Gardiner may actually hold the key (hopefully not to his car) :D

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i heard a whisper from a WC staff member who is close to Ben that he was set to name his prefered team in the inteveiw but at the last moment due to some information that came to hand decided to not name a team i pushed hard to find out what the info was but got nothing ...

my thoughts (note my opinion not that of the WC staff member):

a) Ben got info that WC were a slight possibility so he didnt nominates a new team as going back to WC would be his dream choice ?!?!?!?

b) Ben got wind the AFL would be very unimpressed with th whole Draft tampering stuff so decided to not nomnate a team

c) Ben found out that the team he was going to nominate for has been spying on him and suddenly wen cold on them because of this .....

personally i dont think Ben will be in our colours next year

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
VietNam_Saint
Club Player

If Benny plays again , I think it will be with Collingwood.

And you know what , I am starting to think he will get back some of the respect he lost.

Have a dip Ben.

What will be next from this club ?