on the couch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Who really cares what Roos says and what Ross did or didn't do? We all know Ross has been lying to us since he first walked through the door.
Hopefully the new coach will have more interest in the club as a whole.
you just don't get it do you... :?: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Regarding Ball - when so many say "he's a much better player now..." why does no one hold Ross Lyon accountable for not being able to get this from him?
good point....

.....i also think..no make that believe...that judas ran ball into the ground when he was injured....and he did the same thing to kossi and roo...and bj this year.... :evil:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Teflon wrote:Regarding Ball - when so many say "he's a much better player now..." why does no one hold Ross Lyon accountable for not being able to get this from him?
good point....

.....i also think..no make that believe...that judas ran ball into the ground when he was injured....and he did the same thing to kossi and roo...and bj this year.... :evil:
Yep we dont have doctors at our club. How do some people think these clubs are run. We arent a local footy club. Same as blaming GT for 2 of those players. By the way when was BJ injured? Sounds like made up stuff but as RL has left lets blame him for everything as we did with GT.

markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He left for mainly one reason and that was because he thought his time was up at the saints. Lets face it when you hardly play in the second half of a GF when you had a good first half then the writing is on the wall. The money would not have hurt but the difference in money was no where near the main reason for leaving. .
How do you reconcile your belief that he thought his time was up at the Saints with him being offered a $1million 3 year contract?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He left for mainly one reason and that was because he thought his time was up at the saints. Lets face it when you hardly play in the second half of a GF when you had a good first half then the writing is on the wall. The money would not have hurt but the difference in money was no where near the main reason for leaving. .
How do you reconcile your belief that he thought his time was up at the Saints with him being offered a $1million 3 year contract?
Wasnt that earlier in the year? Maybe like others he wanted to hold out for more money and by that time he was being dropped from our side. All I know is he wasnt happy with the amount of game time he was getting during the season and him and RL were struggling to agree on his role. I stick with money had very little to do with him leaving.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Moods wrote:
markp wrote:Hmmmm... $7.5 million and a fresh start, or $2.6 million from a bunch of turkeys who balked (and nearly choked) at the very same suggestion 6 months earlier, and who wanted get out clauses and to tell me how to coach...?... Hmmmmm.....

Loyalty may be a quaint and almost outdated notion in football, but it's also a two-way street.... show some of it along with some faith midyear when he made his offer, and he stays.

It should never have gotten to the stage of freo making their way too good to refuse offer, and the he said she said 'accounts' of the last days are irrelevant... the deal was blown 6 months prior.
Precisely
Agreed.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Mr Magic wrote: It's also really interesting watching the reaction from our players to Lyon's departure as against their reaction to Ball's departure.
There seems to be zero angst from the players towards Lyon
Yet there were many 'barbs' (both veiled and direct) abouut Ball's defection to Collingwood.

I reckon that says an awful lot about what went on in both cases.
I reckon it's that don't really care that Lyon left, and they really did care that Ball left.

The players made a pact to stay together. They had unfinished business - and for whatever the reason, Ball broke that pact.

Playing with a mate, bleeding with them on-field, is very different to being coached by a guy for a few years.

It's different if the coach drafted you, and 'raised' you in a football sense, but if a coach comes along when you're already a gun player in a good team, then leaves after 4 years then I understand that they probably don't care that much.

A guy like Dal has probably 3-4 coaches anyway.
that's also my view

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Ok, so we're going from 'someone said' to it's a FACT?
Under the letter of contract law if there was offer and acceptance (and a text acceptance is corroborating evidence in a case like this), it is a FACT that it could be construed in a court of law as acceptance.
markp wrote:If it's a fact and in any way a legally binding one, we should sue.
Just like we should have made him see out his three months? pfft, haven't we had enough of off field, off season drama.

You really want to drag the whole club through a court case, while they are trying to get a new coach and get it up and going again, while all the time getting wonderful negative publicity?

Anyway what damages are you after? To make him honour the accepted contract?
markp wrote:And as far as integrity goes everyone is entitled to their views, I think it indicates he possibly had reason to feel justified in flipping the bird... and I'd like to hear what you think about the integrity of Mick Malthouse, and how you'd respond if he became our coach?! :wink:
You are entitled to that view.

As for Malthouse, I would think the way I feel about him now. He is a see you next tuesday, but would be a see you next tuesday in red, white and black.

I dont want the coach to be my friend, I never liked GT, was rude to my daughters when they asked for an autograph, never like Ross lyon, seemed like a joyless pr!ck, and wouldn't like Malthouse.

Really it doesn't bother me. I dont hate any of the above. Hate is a wasted emotion especially on people you dont know or situations you cant control.

cheers :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

We can also thank these surrender monkeys for not taking Cousins which probably ended up costing us the premiership in 2009!
no we can blame judas for not taking cousins..and jack.. and riolli ..and darling....and for pissing ball off ..recruiting lovett.....and not developing the kids...and .. not playing tommy walsh ...or frightening the young guns shitless ..oh f***...the list is endless...good riddance to bad rubbish i say.....he and his game plan both stink..afaic.....broke my heart seeing the pathetic effort from our coach to get roo some real consistant support up forward

stinger
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
fingers wrote:Sorry Barks - I am not sure what you are asking me specifically?

You questioned Ross Lyon's integrity!
he has none imhfo...

kaos theory
Club Player

eppo67 wrote:Roos is right something did happen. His mate lost over a 7 figure sum in the GFC and needed more cash fast. He also needed to find a club stupid enough to give him 1.5 m up front. Hello Freo.
What a piss weak thing for Roos do hiding behind his 'I can't tell you but it's really bad' innuendo. Lost me too.
Bingo.

Someone prints the basic truth of the matter.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:There you go Mr Lyon..... hope the door doesnt...... oh well, never mind. A bit of Deep Heat on that spot will help.
did you see the vison of how much deep heat was being rubbed into Jolly last week- no wodner he couldn't walk afterwards.
were they rubbing it on his twat.???..after all he is a big girl... :wink: :wink: :twisted: :twisted: 8-)

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

We can also thank these surrender monkeys for not taking Cousins which probably ended up costing us the premiership in 2009!
stinger wrote: no we can blame judas for not taking cousins..and jack.. and riolli ..and darling....and for pissing ball off ..recruiting lovett.....and not developing the kids...and .. not playing tommy walsh ...or frightening the young guns shitless ..oh f***...the list is endless...good riddance to bad rubbish i say.....he and his game plan both stink..afaic.....broke my heart seeing the pathetic effort from our coach to get roo some real consistant support up forward

Very funny stuff stinger!

I recall a few weeks ago you wrote that you LOVE ROSS LYON!

Love was the exact word you used!

Hilarious!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
barks4eva wrote:

stinger wrote: no we can blame judas for not taking cousins..and jack.. and riolli ..and darling....and for pissing ball off ..recruiting lovett.....and not developing the kids...and .. not playing tommy walsh ...or frightening the young guns shitless ..oh f***...the list is endless...good riddance to bad rubbish i say.....he and his game plan both stink..afaic.....broke my heart seeing the pathetic effort from our coach to get roo some real consistant support up forward

Very funny stuff stinger!

I recall a few weeks ago you wrote that you LOVE ROSS LYON!

Love was the exact word you used!

Hilarious!
you can't help the change in heart, he pissed out of here! we are just doing thesame thing to him, in the only we can!

gotto blame somoneone, might as well blame Lyin

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The fans with a negative outlook like their messiah Ross Lyon, would have you believe that young players coming into the team cannot improve the side.

Why wouldn't you bring young players into the side when they have some of the best rolemodels to learn from. That's why the youth at Collingwood and Carlton and Hawthorn and at the Cats have excelled. If Ross wasn't happy with the personnel or his playing list or execution of his instructions, or the mids were carved up - then he needed to do something about it and admit that he got it wrong instead of shifting blame. His selection of role players is and was a mistake.

Why would'nt we be able to have another finals campaign deep into September when we still have a lot of the core group at the club. Ross would have you believe that Lenny will never play good football again; that Rooy is finished, that Kozzi is finished, that Dal and Joey and Chips and BJ can't maintain their output.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the guy is a bad judge of character. If you are Ross you'd be negative about the Saints chances in 2012 and beyond and that's what his followers also believe. The problem with Rossy is that the bloke was never a true leader that could inspire the team to greatness. A black cloud has left our footy club and hopefully this era still has a final chapter to be played out.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Why would'nt we be able to have another finals campaign deep into September when we still have a lot of the core group at the club. Ross would have you believe that Lenny will never play good football again; that Rooy is finished, that Kozzi is finished, that Dal and Joey and Chips and BJ can't maintain their output.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the guy is a bad judge of character. If you are Ross you'd be negative about the Saints chances in 2012 and beyond and that's what his followers also believe. The problem with Rossy is that the bloke was never a true leader that could inspire the team to greatness. A black cloud has left our footy club and hopefully this era still has a final chapter to be played out.
I must have missed it?
Please point me in the direction of where I can find Ross Lyon stating, intimating, alluding or anything else similar to what you state he believes categorically about our players and their futures.

AFAIK Lyon jilted us because he received (at the last minute) a substantially better offer than what we offered him.

How that can be translated by some as a 'factual' denigration of our team/players/abilities is quite puzzling to me?

But if you can provide me with the link where these are in fact Lyon's words/musings/wishes then I of course will unreservedly withdraw my critical post and jump onto the bandwagon of 'positive outlookers' as distinct to being a 'negative outlooker'.

As for Lyon 'never having been a true leader' then I must have missed 2009/2010.
Unless of course you are one of those who believe the players led themselves in that period?
Personally I don't believe that for one instant.

The players did/do what the coach instructs them to do.
If they don't they get dropped. or suffer some other consequences.
I also don't recall any player 'revolts' within Lyon's tenure so they ,ust have 'bought in' to his style of leadership.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Scollop wrote:Why would'nt we be able to have another finals campaign deep into September when we still have a lot of the core group at the club. Ross would have you believe that Lenny will never play good football again; that Rooy is finished, that Kozzi is finished, that Dal and Joey and Chips and BJ can't maintain their output.

I must have missed it?
Please point me in the direction of where I can find Ross Lyon stating, intimating, alluding or anything else similar to what you state he believes categorically about our players and their futures.

AFAIK Lyon jilted us because he received (at the last minute) a substantially better offer than what we offered him.

How that can be translated by some as a 'factual' denigration of our team/players/abilities is quite puzzling to me?

But if you can provide me with the link where these are in fact Lyon's words/musings/wishes then I of course will unreservedly withdraw my critical post and jump onto the bandwagon of 'positive outlookers' as distinct to being a 'negative outlooker'.

As for Lyon 'never having been a true leader' then I must have missed 2009/2010.
Unless of course you are one of those who believe the players led themselves in that period?
Personally I don't believe that for one instant.

The players did/do what the coach instructs them to do.
If they don't they get dropped. or suffer some other consequences.
I also don't recall any player 'revolts' within Lyon's tenure so they ,ust have 'bought in' to his style of leadership.
Quite correct Mr Magic. What a puzzling post by scollop. Why do the knockers of Lyon refuse to acknowledge that the man could coach? It's as if we play off for a flag every year in our history, and 09/10 was a dark period led by an inept leader.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I agree with Scollop.
RL had plenty of flaws and he was negative on a lot of things.

What was his "end of an era comment about then" ? - it doesn't sound positive to me. It sounds like he's given up on our core players.

All year he could not get our F50 pressure up to scratch especially against the teams that mean business - did everyone see how the Hawks pressured chased and harassed Thomas, Shaw, O'Brien. Maxwell - that's what I'm talking about !!
All we see is a clean pair of heels and easy rebounds from the Pie backline.

The Pies laid 38 F50 tackles to our measly 11 F50 tackles in GF2 - and Mr RL did not prioritise this huge flaw (lack of chasing pressure) in his game plan over 2011.
He had 20 plus weeks to get it right .. but no he failed big time once more
Some coach !!

For every recycled player he recruited we could have potentially had a young kid with some pace and skill. Potentially 10 more kids... and perhaps 5 more good ones. No wonder we're being leapfrogged by teams that go about it the right way, with a youth policy !

I think his use by date was well and truly up !! .. and I'm glad Freo in their infinite wisdom decided to poach him.
Last edited by samoht on Thu 29 Sep 2011 8:46am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:I agree with Scollop.
RL had plenty of flaws and he was negative on a lot of things.

What was his "end of an era comment about then" ? - it doesn't sound positive to me. It sounds like he's given up on our core players.

All year he could not get our F50 pressure up to scratch especially against the teams that mean business - did everyone see how the Hawks pressured chased and harassed Thomas, Shaw, O'Brien. Maxwell - that's what I'm talking about !!
All we see is a clean pair of heels and easy rebounds from the Pie backline.

The Pies laid 38 F50 tackles to our measly 11 F50 tackles in GF2 - and Mr RL did not prioritise this huge flaw in his game plan over 2011.
He had 20 plus weeks to get it right .. but no he failed big time once more.

For every recycled player he recruited we could have potentially had a young kid with some pace and skill. Potentially 10 more kids... and perhaps 5 more good ones.

I think his use by date was well and truly up !! .. and I'm glad Freo in their infinite wisdom decided to poach him.
I admit that we have recruited probably a couple to many recycled players but apart from pick 14 we lost to Lovett do you honestly think the other picks we used to trade would have made any difference. Stats suggest we may have fluked a average player but we also got 3 regulars in Schneider, Dempster and Ray. Very doubtful the picks used for them would have got better and probably would have been worse. The problem isnt the picks we have given away, its our drafting and also having high picks due to being a good side for 8 years. Cant blame RL for drafting. If anything he probably sees how poor it has been so he probably thinks why not trade those picks.

Another thing is I was talking to a player the other day and he hoped they would get a coach that has a similar style of play to RL. Seems the players trusted that type of play.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

plugger,,
What about his "end of an era" comment ? .. doesn't that sound negative to you ?

What about our lack of forward 50 chase and pressure ?

Do we need a negative coach with an "end of an era" mindset who has given up ?
Sounds to me like we need a new and much more positive coach that sees the "start of a new chapter".

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:plugger,,
What about his "end of an era" comment ? .. doesn't that sound negative to you ?

Lack of forward pressure and chase was due to the players we have. Kosi cant do it. Roo was injured and Milney and Schneider also struggle. That is why Armo was tried there. It is quite simple, our good players are getting old and we have little depth because of ordinary recruiting. As for the end of an era comment that was relating to 4 GF players leaving the club. Even in the paper today they are saying it is the end of an era for Geelong and they may win the flag. Not because they will be no good next year but a few premiership players are retiring.

I have no doubt RL coached for the type of players we had. Yes we had 6 or so superstars but we had little under that. And more importantly our stars had no burning pace. I also have no doubt Freo will play differently to us because they have pace and better skills.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Lack of forward pressure and chase was due to the players we have. Kosi cant do it. Roo was injured and Milney and Schneider also struggle. That is why Armo was tried there. It is quite simple, our good players are getting old and we have little depth because of ordinary recruiting. As for the end of an era comment that was relating to 4 GF players leaving the club. Even in the paper today they are saying it is the end of an era for Geelong and they may win the flag. Not because they will be no good next year but a few premiership players are retiring.

I have no doubt RL coached for the type of players we had. Yes we had 6 or so superstars but we had little under that. And more importantly our stars had no burning pace. I also have no doubt Freo will play differently to us because they have pace and better skills.
Who are these great GF players that are retiring that will bring about an "end of an era" or justify RL's weighty comment ?

We have faster KP players in Stanley or Walsh that could play too and provide chase. up forward.

RL was a hands on coach and did a lot of the recruiting so he could have chosen to recruit faster (and younger) players to provide forward chase .. is Gamble fast ? .. couldn't he have recruited someone quicker ?

No excuses !
There are solutions out there for better coaches... it may have been beyond RL's capabilities

RL did not recruit well and he did not always recruit (as in youth over recycled players) for the future and we've been leapfrogged by teams that did !

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Who are these great GF players that are retiring that will bring about an "end of an era" or justify RL's weighty comment ?

We have faster KP players in Stanley or Walsh that could play too and provide chase. up forward.

RL was a hands on coach and did a lot of the recruiting so he could have chosen to recruit faster (and younger) players to provide forward chase .. is Gamble fast ? .. couldn't he have recruited someone quicker ?

No excuses !
There are solutions out there for better coaches... it may have been beyond RL's capabilities

RL did not recruit well and he did not always recruit (as in youth over recycled players) for the future and we've been leapfrogged by teams that did !
Who said great. I said 4 GF players left the club at the end of the year. That is enough to say it is the end of an era. Geelong are going to lose about that many this year and the papers are saying that. By the way what is recruit. RL doesnt recruit the youngsters. Can you tell us all these great numbered picks we lost by getting recycled players apart from the Lovett pick?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Quote: Mr Magic "How that can be translated by some as a 'factual' denigration of our team/players/abilities is quite puzzling to me?

But if you can provide me with the link where these are in fact Lyon's words/musings/wishes then I of course will unreservedly withdraw my critical post and jump onto the bandwagon of 'positive outlookers' as distinct to being a 'negative outlooker'."

Remembers Rossy's words when we lost to Essendon in April. Your hero was writing us off a long time before he ratted on us. The thing is - I'm glad he's gone.

Here's the link you requested:
http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default ... sid=111293

With Lenny and Jim back in the team, why shouldn't we be able to challenge again. Lethal thinks we can. Lyon has done us a favour without knowing it and of coarse my use of the word 'ratted' refers more to the way he played us off and wheeled and dealed knowing fell well that he was knifing a colleague and existing contracted coach. I also never felt like the guy could inspire the team to greatness unless they motivated themselves.
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 29 Sep 2011 9:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I am just throwing this out - an idea from left field.

Imagine Ross rang Roos and said "I'm done. I basically have no idea how to get this group to play any better; the game style we've got is the best one I can come up with, and now it doesn't work. Should I stay or go?"

And Roos said "If you've lost all faith in your team, it's untenable to stay."

And Ross says "Freo have got a bunch of new kids, I betya I could do well there."

And Roos says "Maybe."

But there's been six months of talks with Freo, that Roos might not have known all the details of... and he says, "Yeah, Ross' position was untenable."

With "untenable" meaning impossible to continue - but not because of a conflict with the board, just a complete lack of fresh ideas and energy on Ross' part.

Think about it... other than (finally, when all seemed lost) playing a few kids, and handpassing more, how many radical changes did Ross make this year? That's untenable.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.