Robert Harvey walks out!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Has there been any sort of comment from Harvs?.... Until there is, every media story/article is pure conjecture..................

.......and BTW... Robert Harvey has the right to do whatever the F##K he likes in relation to his football career......

...and whatever he does choose to do is fine with me(as if that matters :roll: ).......He is and always will be a legend of this club.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:True or otherwise.

He shouldn't of come back so soon.

Helped the club out of a pickle in 2011, as Ross couldn't get anyone into his box in the end.

(As I've said, except for 2 players, a mate, and a Port guy)
Of course he should have come back. He had 2 years somewhere else and there was a job vacant at our club. How long should you be away? What we shouldnt have done is appoint him interim coach. We didnt need one for a start so why do that and maybe get his hopes up. It was stupid IMO. By the way we may have interviewed 20 coaches for our vacancies. How would any of us know.
After one year as a senior assistant elsewhere?

We differ in opinions then in how long someone should be out there learning their craft.

westy
Club Player

Hey Satchmo, I love your avatar. It needs to be put on Facebok for all the world to appreciate and see that Eddie really is a dikwad.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

westy wrote:Hey Satchmo, I love your avatar. It needs to be put on Facebok for all the world to appreciate and see that Eddie really is a dikwad.
Enjoy!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Francis Leach on SEN said he had lunch with Harves today and that he was still undecided what to do. Said he hadn't cracked the sads, but had realised through the selection process that he really wanted to be a senior coach and it was a priority for him now.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:Francis Leach on SEN said he had lunch with Harves today and that he was still undecided what to do. Said he hadn't cracked the sads, but had realised through the selection process that he really wanted to be a senior coach and it was a priority for him now.
So he realised it through the selection process and not before it? :shock:

Megsie
Club Player

why is this the saints fault ?
seems more like someone with an inflated ego.
absolutely sick to death of ex players champions or otherwise
defecting to other clubs when "contracted" to saints because something didn't go their way.
why did carlton decide harvey wasn't for them ????
go to the filth Harves....you'll have 2 buddies there who are still
sooking.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
GeorgeYoung27 wrote:Francis Leach on SEN said he had lunch with Harves today and that he was still undecided what to do. Said he hadn't cracked the sads, but had realised through the selection process that he really wanted to be a senior coach and it was a priority for him now.
no- the process confirmed in his mind that coaching is what he wants to do in some form.......

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
no- the process confirmed in his mind that coaching is what he wants to do in some form.......
I know what you're saying bratty but I would think at this level you should be 100% committed to that career path before you throw your hat into the ring.

That comment suggests otherwise with Rob though it may simply be the way he puts things.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintbrat wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
I know what you're saying bratty but I would think at this level you should be 100% committed to that career path before you throw your hat into the ring.

That comment suggests otherwise with Rob though it may simply be the way he puts things.
Which is probably why he didn't get to the second round.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

I think that's great. Terrific he has the drive and the ambition. Maybe he had previously thought he could add something in coaching by who he was and his personal playing experience. You clearly need more now, so he is seeking out more experience and more knowledge.

He didn't get it out of Ross Lyon, that's safe to say. I always wondered what RL was saying over his shoulder in the box when something went wrong. He had that whiney look on his face. Looked to me like he was blaming other people. Not a great environment to learn about coaching.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:
I think that's great. Terrific he has the drive and the ambition. Maybe he had previously thought he could add something in coaching by who he was and his personal playing experience. You clearly need more now, so he is seeking out more experience and more knowledge.

He didn't get it out of Ross Lyon, that's safe to say. I always wondered what RL was saying over his shoulder in the box when something went wrong. He had that whiney look on his face. Looked to me like he was blaming other people. Not a great environment to learn about coaching.
Sentiment doesn't always work out in footy. I loved Harves as a player but I have to admit I was nervous at the thought of him as a senior coach at the saints. He played with some of the list he would be coaching, he had limited external and internal experience and he doesn't seem to be a natural communicator. He can't really coach by example. Good luck to him, if he lands at Collingwood he will get great access to the best of everything. When he is a master coach he can come back and take us to the promised land- after Scotty has his 6.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ppl say it's not a great idea to coach VFL because it takes you out of the AFL system. Whilst that train of thought has merit, IMO Harvey would really benefit from a 2 year stint at Sandy... then ear mark him for either a assistant role hear, or he gets the chance to apply somewhere else for a better position.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Helped the club out of a pickle in 2011, as Ross couldn't get anyone into his box in the end.

Of course he should have come back. He had 2 years somewhere else and there was a job vacant at our club. How long should you be away? What we shouldnt have done is appoint him interim coach. We didnt need one for a start so why do that and maybe get his hopes up. It was stupid IMO. By the way we may have interviewed 20 coaches for our vacancies. How would any of us know.

We differ in opinions then in how long someone should be out there learning their craft.
He was at Carlton 2 years in 2 different roles. What about other assistant coaches who come directly from playing. Even Nathan Buckley has only been assistant 2 or 3 years and he is the main coach now. 2 years is plenty of time to leave your club and then come back. Obviously you wouldnt want Max back to help next year.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Saints chief executive Michael Nettlefold said last night that Harvey would depart with his and the club's blessing after unsuccessfully applying for the senior coaching role, which went to Scott Watters.

''We won't stand in his way,'' Nettlefold said.

''Obviously we would love him to stay at the club, but we understand that Rob is very keen to work towards becoming a senior coach and we support him in that.''
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... z1bGIxZ6Cu

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

would collingwood really be the best option to gain experience? given the coaching panel will be almost completely new- and the Senior coach has only been coaching as an assistant and not a 2IC, for 2 years
yes the administration is solid and consistent but there are very few of the ' experienced' coaching staff left at the Pies.

which team does have the most experienced and stable group?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
markp
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Saints chief executive Michael Nettlefold said last night that Harvey would depart with his and the club's blessing after unsuccessfully applying for the senior coaching role, which went to Scott Watters.

''Obviously we would love him to stay at the club, but we understand that Rob is very keen to work towards becoming a senior coach and we support him in that.''
Well, if Harvs is yet to make up his mind (which I don't believe), looks like Netters has made it up for him.

As with Lyon's departure, another odd and obviously incomplete picture being presented, and just more spin, indicating something seriously rotten.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Robert Harvey is the greatest champion this club has ever seen, and probably none will surpass him.

If he has gone to collingwood i bear no grudges no matter how painful it is.

Painful...painfull...painful...

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Yup.

This has obviously been handled appallingly.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

ralphsmith wrote:Robert Harvey is the greatest champion this club has ever seen, and probably none will surpass him.

If he has gone to collingwood i bear no grudges no matter how painful it is.

Painful...painfull...painful...
+1

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

stkildathunda wrote:

That article has been weasel worded by Caro. She has put words in Nettlefolds' mouth to the effect that Harvey has already decided to leave, but the rest of the article gives the lie.

ST KILDA will not force Robert Harvey to remain at the club should the Saints legend, as expected, request to be released from his contract to join Collingwood.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Megsie
Club Player

the club is ALWAYS bigger than the individual.......always.

Rosco
Club Player

if he goes - goodbye, good luck (personally, not for the opposition team he helps), and hope to see him back at the club some time in the future

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He was at Carlton 2 years in 2 different roles. What about other assistant coaches who come directly from playing. Even Nathan Buckley has only been assistant 2 or 3 years and he is the main coach now. 2 years is plenty of time to leave your club and then come back. Obviously you wouldnt want Max back to help next year.
Not sure if Nathan, or Vossy...even Hird can coach. Will they be any good?

Dunno.

Most of the senior coaches appointed now have done a good apprenticeship, if he has aspirations to be a senior coach, he should continue his.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not sure if Nathan, or Vossy...even Hird can coach. Will they be any good?

Dunno.

Most of the senior coaches appointed now have done a good apprenticeship, if he has aspirations to be a senior coach, he should continue his.
And I never said anything different. I was commenting on the fact that you said it was to early to come back after only 2 years being an assistant.