BJ offered $1.9m over three years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: BJ offered $1.9m over three years

It looks like he will end up going to Essendon on way more money than he's worth. I really don't see him suddenly having a change of heart and deciding that club loyalty means more than 100k per year to him. Geelong won't offer anything near what he wants and I can't think of any competitive Melbourne club who would/could throw that kind of money at him. Collingwood won't give him big money, Carlton and Hawthorn couldn't be far from their cap limit and Richmond would end up losing some of their young guns once they matured and wanted more money if BJ is taking up 800k in four years time.

I don't see St Kilda significantly changing their position. Maybe they could up the offer 10k per year, or possibly consider a four year deal on less money; neither of which would be particularly enticing to Goddard when he could just take a much bigger Essendon offer.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Spinner wrote:BJ is worth the money. Won't be paying anyone else anytime soon,..,
I don't think I understand the logic. Are you proposing that we might as well throw a disproportinate amount of money at one player because there aren't any other players on the list to invest the money into?
I would prefer to be a mill under the salary cap to spend in future years on a gun than pay overs to keep one player. The extra funds could entice a gun or future gun. Not liking the, I've got got money there might as well spend it on BJ mentality. Club is bigger than the individual
[/quote]

To St Ick, Cairnsman & Moods;

All clubs have to pay a certain percentage of the salary cap. That percentage being in the 90's.

So if the money doesn't go to Goddard (who is worth more than 450k on today's money - seriously what are you thinking....) the money will go to grossly overpaying players that probably won't be anywhere near good enough.

Thanks.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Spinner wrote:
All clubs have to pay a certain percentage of the salary cap. That percentage being in the 90's.
So if the money doesn't go to Goddard (who is worth more than 450k on today's money - seriously what are you thinking....) the money will go to grossly overpaying players that probably won't be anywhere near good enough.

Thanks.
Well said Spinner. I think the mandatory miminmum now is 95%, used to be 92% I think.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:Running players that kick long and dispose of the ball accurately are gold compared with what you may get in 2 or 3 years time with a dratf pick.
Essendon and Freo seem to see the value in a player like Goddard.
From what I have heard Scott Waters really wants to keep him -maybe it's the football management that's playing hard to get.
And I see a player like Siposs capable of learning and playing that role for a long time. Goddard might just over value his worth.
Wouldn't we be a much better side with both of these guys. Does Siposs really need that type of pressure on him. He's the new Goddard.

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
Gershwin wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:Running players that kick long and dispose of the ball accurately are gold compared with what you may get in 2 or 3 years time with a dratf pick.
Essendon and Freo seem to see the value in a player like Goddard.
From what I have heard Scott Waters really wants to keep him -maybe it's the football management that's playing hard to get.
And I see a player like Siposs capable of learning and playing that role for a long time. Goddard might just over value his worth.
Wouldn't we be a much better side with both of these guys. Does Siposs really need that type of pressure on him. He's the new Goddard.
wed be better off with hodge as well. but we can only afford what we can afford.
siposs is the new siposs playing a utility role. no extra pressure on him really. and he seems like a bloke who thrives on the responsibility anyways.

People keeo talking about goddard as its a choice of wanting him to stay or not.
this is not the question we should be discussing. I mean it goes without saying wed all prefer him to stay. and the fact is he has a solid contractual offer sitting on the table right now. so the club has said it want him to stay with this contractual offer. this is not in dispute.

the real question people need to ask is - how much are you willing to bid him (above the contract offer already made) to keep him?

im saying if he accepts our offer - thats awesome - but im not willing to chase and chase up and up and up.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 21 Sep 2012 8:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:

Thanks.
Yes I agree, happens a lot with the lower-end clubs, paying 95% min spread over a list where many may not deserve it.

Supposedly Riewoldt was on $1M per year over the last 3 years - if this is true.
So if Goddard was prepared to take less $$ (than FA offers) and wants that 4th year - I would give it for sure, really needs to be more of two-way giving. Still we don't even know if the $$ figures being reported are made up.....

Hold your ground :shock:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:It looks like he will end up going to Essendon on way more money than he's worth. I really don't see him suddenly having a change of heart and deciding that club loyalty means more than 100k per year to him. Geelong won't offer anything near what he wants and I can't think of any competitive Melbourne club who would/could throw that kind of money at him. Collingwood won't give him big money, Carlton and Hawthorn couldn't be far from their cap limit and Richmond would end up losing some of their young guns once they matured and wanted more money if BJ is taking up 800k in four years time.

I don't see St Kilda significantly changing their position. Maybe they could up the offer 10k per year, or possibly consider a four year deal on less money; neither of which would be particularly enticing to Goddard when he could just take a much bigger Essendon offer.
Still think it's the 4th year that made him try the market...

Maintain a stand off was just a foolish strategy.

Nothing wrong with making a player feel wanted and looking like a club that values 200 game players, this whole 'here is our one offer and it's all we've got, but you'll stay if you love the club' isn't doing it for mine.

I mean, how many times have Cloke and the Pies camps met?

Fight for him for goodness sake, and that just doesn't have to mean money or years, it's just the opposite of crossing your arms and refusing to budge.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Who says they haven't met a few times? 1.9m over 3 years is a bloody good offer. I'd imagine he would be in the top 25 paid players in the league.