Saints Sign Roberton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Sign Roberton

Back onto Roberton. I saw him play a quite few times for Freo, and I liked what I saw. Seems that kind of rangey, loose-bodied type, who can read the play fairly well. Kind of like a taller version of Farren Ray. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he plays quite a bit of football in the seniors with us next year.

I think it's a good pick-up, and what I've seen of him, he's not a gumby.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Can I ask why you and others seem to always mention Frawley?

I mention Frawley because under free agency he might be available. there were rumours that he wanted to be moved on but the Dees didn't let him and if he's available the Saints will throw big money at him. he also has a family history where his uncle was FB and captain. There is still some romance in footy even if the romance returns quicker when you are offered overs on your pay check. why wouldn't they look at him or any other KPBs.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I mention Frawley because under free agency he might be available. there were rumours that he wanted to be moved on but the Dees didn't let him and if he's available the Saints will throw big money at him. he also has a family history where his uncle was FB and captain. There is still some romance in footy even if the romance returns quicker when you are offered overs on your pay check. why wouldn't they look at him or any other KPBs.
romance didnt work out well with the last nepthew of a player though

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sorry but I havent seen any rumours at all. Do you have links to them. As for his uncle I reckon that gives us exactly no extra chance of getting him. And yes i would look at him and try and get him but I would also try to get Ablett and Buddy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sorry but I havent seen any rumours at all. Do you have links to them. As for his uncle I reckon that gives us exactly no extra chance of getting him. And yes i would look at him and try and get him but I would also try to get Ablett and Buddy.

Wow you rate him if he's in buddy and Ablett's company. Those two are untouchable, Frawley is like Brian Lake important but not a marquee player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Wow you rate him if he's in buddy and Ablett's company. Those two are untouchable, Frawley is like Brian Lake important but not a marquee player.

Frawley is nothing like Lake as of this year. Thyere is about 4 years age difference. I still have no idea why he would come to us.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Simmo2 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:good get by the club the kid can play .... as for all the sooking about not getting a fullback i would rather we go without a fullback this season and use a patched up defensive structure and get a top notch one next season rather than pick a below average fullback just for the sake of getting one ... its a bit like GT not wanting to waste $ on a dud ruckman for the sake of getting a ruckman
Bizarre............ with a decent ruckman we would have won two flags with that team/
yes with a DECENT ruckman we would have gone close to getting a flag but the problem was all the DECENT ruckmen were at other clubs and only dud ruckmen or fill-in ruckmen or over the hill ruckmen were around for us to consider so we went without and made do with what we had.. once RL came on board he went out and got us Gardi (who for the first year looked like a compleate waste of a pick) we also tried Doc Clarke until we were able to get King and Gardi to be out strong ruck combo - same situation exists now there ate no decent full backs available only duds, fill ins and also rans so we will make do with what we got and wait for a decent full back to become available ...building a team takes time we wont fill all the holes in one trade/draft period

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Frawley is nothing like Lake as of this year. Thyere is about 4 years age difference. I still have no idea why he would come to us.
not saying he would come to us but i would imagine a big pay packet over a long contract would maybe get him over the line ..

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Frawley has met with the saints and I would think that he would have been a bit tempted. Melbourne have sacked all his mates, have a losing culture, are about to be slapped by the AFL, have a crap coach, s*** board and can't even cheat properly. I can't see why he'd stay.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Frawley is nothing like Lake as of this year. Thyere is about 4 years age difference. I still have no idea why he would come to us.
not saying he would come to us but i would imagine a big pay packet over a long contract would maybe get him over the line ..

It may but surely we need to see how we go this year. If we win 10 games or less it is hardly worth wasting money on a player when we are not in GF mode. I would then wait until we are on the up again.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Frawley has met with the saints and I would think that he would have been a bit tempted. Melbourne have sacked all his mates, have a losing culture, are about to be slapped by the AFL, have a crap coach, s*** board and can't even cheat properly. I can't see why he'd stay.

Where is there any proof of them meeting Frawley? And can you tell me his mates at the club?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:He's a 21 year old kid who has played 37 AFL games. That means he has ability.
Andrew McQualter and Robert Eddy both had 30+ games at the age of 21.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

It may but surely we need to see how we go this year. If we win 10 games or less it is hardly worth wasting money on a player when we are not in GF mode. I would then wait until we are on the up again.
Frawley isnt exactly old so even if we are not in the window for a flag in the next two years with some good list managment we could very well be up there again well before its time for him to hang up the boots ... also the problem of being on the up again and trying to grab a big fish via trade is you have to be able to fit them in the cap as well as trying to keep your current players away from the rival clubs ... if we were to get Frawley he would have to be convinced that our down turn and rebuild will be quicker and go further than Melbournes rebuild...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
damienc wrote:He's a 21 year old kid who has played 37 AFL games. That means he has ability.
Roberton is better then both ... its ok

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Roberton is better then both ... its ok
Great! I don't remember ever seeing the kid play, but I hope you're well and truly right.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Why do people make up stats like that? It's totally untrue.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Can I ask why you and others seem to always mention Frawley?
Can I ask why it bothers you so?

We need a FB. Frawley's a good one. His team is terrible. They've just lost senior players. They may lose draft picks. Frawley may want out. He'd probably want to go to a club that needs a FB. We need a FB.

It makes sense. That doesn't mean it will happen. There's nothing wrong with speculating about it.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Frawley has met with the saints and I would think that he would have been a bit tempted. Melbourne have sacked all his mates, have a losing culture, are about to be slapped by the AFL, have a crap coach, s*** board and can't even cheat properly. I can't see why he'd stay.

Where is there any proof of them meeting Frawley? And can you tell me his mates at the club?
All I'm saying is they are cutting the list hard which makes them feel less secure and surely guys that have developed along side him and considered mates are in that group. It has been reported in the media and on forums.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6419406041

And from demons forum

There have been rumours circulating today that Frawley has asked for a trade and already sat with St Kilda officers. I hope this is only a rumour as Frawley would be an enormous loss.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

All I'm saying is they are cutting the list hard which makes them feel less secure and surely guys that have developed along side him and considered mates are in that group. It has been reported in the media and on forums.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6419406041

And from demons forum

There have been rumours circulating today that Frawley has asked for a trade and already sat with St Kilda officers. I hope this is only a rumour as Frawley would be an enormous loss.

So from that you are saying he met with our club. i heard we also met Buddy Franklin and Tom Murphy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
So from that you are saying he met with our club. i heard we also met Buddy Franklin and Tom Murphy.
Did you show me the article.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Did you show me the article.

You werent home when I came around.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Let's be truthful, we would love Robertson to come here and become a very good player at the expense of someone who now resides near Fremantle.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Let's be truthful, we would love Robertson to come here and become a very good player at the expense of someone who now resides near Fremantle.

Cripps? Sierakoski? Kim Beasley?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
bergholt wrote:Andrew McQualter and Robert Eddy both had 30+ games at the age of 21.
Why do people make up stats like that? It's totally untrue.
Are you serious?

As of March 2008 McQualter was 21 and a half and had played 23 games. He then played 12 games in the next four months, which took him to 35 games before he turned 22.

I guess you're right about Eddy though. At the start of 2010 he was just turned 22 and had 23 games, and he then played ten so I guess he was 22 when he hit 30 games. I didn't look closely at that originally but that's pretty close.

Do you disagree with my basic point?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

The OP'ers are correct. We'd have to deal..., but that's cool, as the Dreamon's pick 18 and $500K for four years for Dawes... shows they still have no idea. :lol:

Chip signed a four year deal in May 2010. The article doesn't use the term 'extension', so I assume that would mean he's contracted for seasons 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 5866479923

Bet he's regretting that brain-fade now... :oops:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: