GWS to get pick 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: GWS to get pick 1

borderbarry wrote:Gwilt is still a Saint until his contract expires, which I believe is after the trade period. He and Clint were not delisted. They were told they would not be getting another contract.
They were delisted!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Wow!

We have some very very generous Saintsationalists!

If any of you guys/gals ever have a house, or share portfolio, or anything of immense value up for sale... please let me know.

I want to make you an offer. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Clint represented the Saints today in the GF sprint, hardly the thing a delisted player would do.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:Clint represented the Saints today in the GF sprint, hardly the thing a delisted player would do.
He is a delisted free agent!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Saints chasing Daniel Hannebury apparently. BF and Twitter.

Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:Clint represented the Saints today in the GF sprint, hardly the thing a delisted player would do.
He is a delisted free agent!
Now or when his contract expires ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
matrix wrote:he wants out

look either way we are in the best spot arent we
cant wait for trade week and the draft
Yep, wants out, and back to civilization. The Junction will do him just fine.

Pluggs and others, whilst I really really really want Petracca, my bottom line is that since we hold all the cards, we should not accept any deal that is not a win for us.

Any deal must be an improvement on holding the number one pick in a draft where one player (in the eyes of many clubs, which ultimately is all that matters, ie; perception is everything) is a very clear standout. After pick one it becomes quite even.

So we have what others want. We don't have to trade. They want to...

So any trade must see us improve our current position.
No swaps.
No sideways trades.
No like-for-like.

We come out better. They pay overs.

It's a sellers market, and we hold the key to the hot property that everyone wants.

But we don't have to budge. :idea:

Cameron will go into the 2016 PSD and we'll be in poll position to liberate him.
And hypothetically, if he stays, they can't keep/fit in all of Cameron, Patton, Boyd... nor a host of other very desirable young talents... :twisted:

Patience Saintsationalists. We are building a dynasty. It will be very worth it. 8-)

All I can say if im glad you aren't involved at the Saints. Cut off your nose to spite your face. How do you anything you said. Its emotive rubbish.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think unless something amazing happens - we will end up with the Pet for pick 1.
Complex trades rarely happen.

Either way pick 1 wont be a saviour. We need to find 10 new good players in the next 3 years.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Either way pick 1 wont be a saviour. We need to find 10 new good players in the next 3 years.
which is why I think they'll trade it.

Pelican knows its a numbers game - if he gets more in at higher end picks he speeds up the rebuild rather than going all out for 'the one' superstar pick who may/may not be the next Judd.

I think finally the model may be changing at St Kilda.....aka the days of the team sprinkled with 6-8 great players with 2-3 elite and then a sharp descent into mediocrity list wise may be over. I think Pelican wants multiple numbers of qulaity and later to go $$$ hunting for a star or 2 when we are near......

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Pelican knows its a numbers game - if he gets more in at higher end picks he speeds up the rebuild rather than going all out for 'the one' superstar pick who may/may not be the next Judd.

I think finally the model may be changing at St Kilda.....aka the days of the team sprinkled with 6-8 great players with 2-3 elite and then a sharp descent into mediocrity list wise may be over. I think Pelican wants multiple numbers of qulaity and later to go $$$ hunting for a star or 2 when we are near......

I hope he is right but I think its a flawed system. Champions and good depth win flags. A lot of good players gets you into the 7 but doesn't win flags. North are an example of that.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
St Ick wrote:Do we have to get a pick in return? It's massively in our favour but what about Shiel and Cameron for pick one and Armo. Essentially it's saying Armo for Shiel, Cameron for pick one. To even it out I'd even consider chucking in pick 20.

It means we trade out of this years top end, but we are no guarantee to pick up to certified guns with any of our draft picks, even Petracca who is the top talent but I'm not convinced of his 'elite' qualities.

Thoughts?
Never going to happen for a number of reasons. Cameron is worth pick 1 plus some, Shiel a top 5 pick and Armo a late 1st/early second rounder.
Fair call, if Shiel was worth a top five pick though, would GWS really offer 4 & Shiel for pick 1?

I don't want to trade Armo, but I feel with Curren, Dunstan, Ross, Murdoch, etc there are plenty of insiders - if, and a big if we got Shiel - then Armo would be yet another one. Anyway, I'm sure that's been discussed in depth.

Part of me really hopes that GWS are so desperate for Petracca, they will be prepared to sell the farm for him.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I don't think GWS would trade Shiel and 4 for 1 but that would be our asking price. We could settle on 1 and 24 for Shiel, 4 and 41.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

Pluggs and others, whilst I really really really want Petracca, my bottom line is that since we hold all the cards, we should not accept any deal that is not a win for us.

Any deal must be an improvement on holding the number one pick in a draft where one player (in the eyes of many clubs, which ultimately is all that matters, ie; perception is everything) is a very clear standout. After pick one it becomes quite even.

No swaps.
No sideways trades.
No like-for-like.

It's a sellers market, and we hold the key to the hot property that everyone wants.

Cameron will go into the 2016 PSD and we'll be in poll position to liberate him.
And hypothetically, if he stays, they can't keep/fit in all of Cameron, Patton, Boyd... nor a host of other very desirable young talents... :twisted:

Patience Saintsationalists. We are building a dynasty. It will be very worth it. 8-)

All I can say if im glad you aren't involved at the Saints. Cut off your nose to spite your face. How do you anything you said. Its emotive rubbish.
lol
you cant even put a sentence together ya peanut

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

No swaps.
No sideways trades.
No like-for-like.

lol
you cant even put a sentence together ya peanut

Good stuff Matrix. Having a go at others when your favourite saying is FFS and sounding angry. By the way BJ wont leave. You can guarantee it. Saying things often enough doesn't make it true or make you sound knowledgeable. Anyway people say I have no opinion on things. Lets see if you have an opinion. If and its a huge if, Cameron wanted to leave and GWS wanted pick one for Petracca would you do the deal this season or wait until next year when both maybe unlikely? Im mean Dave says Cameron will go in the PSD. There has not been one bit of evidence to suggest that firstly, and secondly when was the last star to go in the PSD. It doesn't happen anymore and im not sure it really ever happened. And wow I left out the word know in the last statement you had a go at me about. maybe others can realise what word was left out. Well ones who can put 2 and 2 together and get 4.

Gurgman
Club Player

On Petracca first let me say I haven't seen him play live , only highlights but I really don't see him as a standout , yep he has a big body but I haven't seen him burning the grass when he runs and as for his kicking I think it leaves a bit to be desired . From my point I see him as a mature colt in horse racing terms that wins all the two year old races but doesn't go on a s three year old and there has been plenty of them , He looks good now because of his bigger body but will he continue to improve , maybe and maybe not , if GWS want him they can have him and we will take Whitfield as this kid will be a star , quick , good overhead and kicks goals . that's my take anyway .

And i thought this was a forum
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote: A lot of good players gets you into the 7...
That's an interesting outside-the-box piece of thinking Pluggs... the key to September success is to avoid having to play the sixth placed team... :idea: :wink:
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Sun 28 Sep 2014 1:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

No swaps.
No sideways trades.
No like-for-like.

Sorry, can't agree with the nose-spite-face stuff.

My whole underlying tenet is that others badly want what we have... the rights to the perceived standout in an otherwise even draft.

So we have the position of power. :twisted:

Therefore, if anyone wants our Number One draft pick... they must pay a juicy premium. I don't see why anyone would us to do a fair-deal-like-for-like-swap. Any deal must see us come out substantially in front... coz the other clubs want to deal, we don't have to deal. QED.

Cameron (+/-/&/or some others from that entity) will be out of contract for 2015's (and 2016's)trading period. Surely GWoganS know that. But we certainly know that. So they face loosing blokes for nuthin'... or... they do a deal to salvage something. More QED.

We hold all the cards. :twisted:

PS: You're first sentence (above) is accurate though, Pluggs. :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

No swaps.
No sideways trades.
No like-for-like.

Sorry, can't agree with the nose-spite-face stuff.

My whole underlying tenet is that others badly want what we have... the rights to the perceived standout in an otherwise even draft.

So we have the position of power. :twisted:

Therefore, if anyone wants our Number One draft pick... they must pay a juicy premium. I don't see why anyone would us to do a fair-deal-like-for-like-swap. Any deal must see us come out substantially in front... coz the other clubs want to deal, we don't have to deal. QED.

Cameron (+/-/&/or some others from that entity) will be out of contract for 2015's (and 2016's)trading period. Surely GWoganS know that. But we certainly know that. So they face loosing blokes for nuthin'... or... they do a deal to salvage something. More QED.

We hold all the cards. :twisted:

PS: You're first sentence (above) is accurate though, Pluggs. :wink:
Lose him for nothing? When does that happen? Your fantasy is just that. Lets deal in at least slight, or even very slight facts. The rumour is GWS want pick one this year. A slight rumour is Cameron wants out. That is this season, not next which neither maybe true or even slightly factual. And Petracca isn't a standout, well certainly by those who really know the draft, not the guy living in fantasyland. You don't wait for great deals if there is a chance for a great deal to be done this season.

Kernal75
Club Player

Hate to burst anyone's bubble but there's a small story in the H/S today stating Saints are into Luke Parker in an exchange for Pick 1. Lots of rumours this time of year but maybe there's something in its reported in the Hun!

defacto
Club Player

if you were sydney would you trade anyone of you star young midfielders in hannebery, parker or mitchell for pick 1? given all three have no desire to leave and you are right smack bang in the middle of your window with tippett and buddy in the later half of their 20s. theres no point going down a rebuilding path move, trading out a young player approaching their best football for one thats going to take another 2-3 years to get right

it'd be like us wanting to trade one of ball, lenny or dal santo at the end of 2004

its mad speculation and uninformed

swans are better of trading out some of the fringe for a KPP that is depth at another club

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote: A lot of good players gets you into the 7
Have you heard something about a new finals system or do you not think it is worth coming 8th? :D

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Andreous
Club Player

Hodge wins 2nd Norm Smith. I think that is telling given we are talking about draft picks.

Hodge got to Hawthorn via a trade of Pick 1 for Croad and Pick 10 to Freo if I recall correctly. Croad ended up back at the Hawks a few years later and Pick 10 went on a good player but someone without the impact of a Hodge.

Who won out of that deal.... Hawks picked up an elite player that certainly made the difference in 2008. How would free have gone last year with Hodge instead of McFarlane in the team??????

Keep pick 1 if Pec is that good.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I hope he is right but I think its a flawed system. Champions and good depth win flags. A lot of good players gets you into the 7 but doesn't win flags. North are an example of that.
Nth made a prelim and have many young players with little finals experience - as Scott said and hes a flog but hes right, it takes a series or 2 before your kids understand. Nth will be ok but Harvey will drop sooner or later and I don't rate Wells when the chips are down and I think they shoulda kept Delany.

That aside their base is good to build from - they have quality but probably need to grab another gun defender. I think we might be base building first is my point as opposed to star shopping hence pelican wanting multiple picks not just 1. That said, hate to get picks 9 and 15 and see no 1 we pass up turn out to be Judd.........big risks either way.

“Yeah….nah””
matrix
Saintsational Legend

hold the phone

HOLD THE PHONE!!!!

john BUTCHER (of the footy) is on the market

this changes EVERYTHING

rhys and a pick to port for butcher and oshea

OH MY!

:roll: 8-)

defacto
Club Player

matrix wrote:hold the phone

HOLD THE PHONE!!!!

john BUTCHER (of the footy) is on the market

this changes EVERYTHING

rhys and a pick to port for butcher and oshea

OH MY!

:roll: 8-)

if port end up with ryder, i dont think they'll want rhys.

adelaide might though