What should St Kilda's philosophy be on Trading this year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rosco
Club Player

Re: What should St Kilda's philosophy be on Trading this yea

plugger66 wrote:I hope we get Cameron but why would he come to us? Surely there are better clubs who could offer similar money. I hope we get him but logic suggests we have little chance. The good thing is we can give GWS more than any other club bar Melbourne but he needs to want to come to us still. Cant see it but happy to say I was wrong.
I hope you're wrong.

If the BIG deal isn't him, who else is it? If GWS, surely not Patton. Maybe Boyd. Hopefully not 4 + JO'R and Jacksh. Can't be Melbourne's picks. No one else with young guns. Danger? Sloane + Lyons? Complete guesswork, as usual.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

dragit wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:I am not quoting all of the above however Harbrow ended up getting a shitload of the ball in that Dogs Saints low-scorer due to our pressure and positioning inside 60. Therefore the Dogs chipped it around and then botched it causing a turn-over.

36 possessions in that game especially does not mean too much.
Bingo.

Anyone that suggests a player is "tearing us a new one" when his losing side can only manage 6 goals for the match, is struggling with the basics of the game.

Harbrow also played well In the 2009 prelim and the less-fancied Bulldogs were on top everywhere but on the scoreboard. Riewoldt came to our rescue with 4 goals.

Our F50 pressure was excellent in 2009, during the year that is - but I think in the GF, the Geelong halfbacks had a major influence on the result, with plenty of rebound.
Remember we dominated the inside 50's - Geelong only had 42 inside 50's to our 58 - yet the ball was cleared with ease by Enright and Milburn and co.
It wasn't a "Riewoldt-like" effort that won the game for Geelong in the GF - but their halfbacks and backline were able to clear our inside 50's and played a key role in their win.

But what happened in 2010 and 2011?
We had games where we had zero to a handful of F50 defensive tackles.

Who do we blame for this?
Last edited by samoht on Thu 02 Oct 2014 9:52am, edited 2 times in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
dragit wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:I am not quoting all of the above however Harbrow ended up getting a shitload of the ball in that Dogs Saints low-scorer due to our pressure and positioning inside 60. Therefore the Dogs chipped it around and then botched it causing a turn-over.

36 possessions in that game especially does not mean too much.
Bingo.

Anyone that suggests a player is "tearing us a new one" when his losing side can only manage 6 goals for the match, is struggling with the basics of the game.

The less-fancied Bulldogs still dominated the inside 50's - and were on top everywhere but on the scoreboard. Riewoldt came to our rescue with 4 goals.

Our F50 pressure was excellent in 2009, during the year that is - but I think in the GF, the Geelong halfbacks had a major influence on the result, with plenty of rebound.
Remember we dominated the inside 50's - Geelong only had 42 inside 50's to our 58 - yet the ball was cleared with ease by Enright and Milburn and co.

But what happened in 2010 and 2011?
We had games where we had zero to a handful of F50 defensive tackles.

Who do we blame for this?
As usual we relied on epic heroism from our top echelon stars to save our bacon. Hardly a reliable strategy to win a flag and alas we couldnt win one.

We had 16 more inside 50s in 09 GF yet we still couldnt win. What does that tell you? Our 'trademark fwd pressure was rubbish. Kosi, Milne, Roo, Schneider and Eddy were not hard at all to clear through.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
We had 16 more inside 50s in 09 GF yet we still couldnt win. What does that tell you? Our 'trademark fwd pressure was rubbish. Kosi, Milne, Roo, Schneider and Eddy were not hard at all to clear through.
Our forward pressure was pretty good overall during the 2009 home and away games, when the stakes were low and we won 19 in a row - but when the stakes were raised in the prelim and the GF - that was a different story altogether.

In 2010 and 2011 - it just went into the too-hard-to-fix bin - our F50 defensive pressure was almost non-existent - hence Harbrow's career-high 36 possession game against us in 2010, as a HB.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Our forward pressure was pretty good overall during the 2009 home and away games, when the stakes were low and we won 19 in a row - but when the stakes were raised in the prelim and the GF - that was a different story altogether.

In 2010 and 2011 - it just went into the too-hard-to-fix bin - our F50 defensive pressure was almost non-existent - hence Harbrow's career-high 36 possession game against us in 2010, as a HB.

Issues. Both of you.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Now, now, plugger.

Both you and dragit mentioned how good our F50 defensive pressure was in 2009 - and I agreed with you, in my above post, in regard to the 2009 Home and Away season at least (when the stakes were low).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Now, now, plugger.

Both you and dragit mentioned how good our F50 defensive pressure was in 2009 - and I agreed with you, in my above post, in regard to the 2009 Home and Away season at least (when the stakes were low).

The issues are the RL lovers as we seem to be call, which is crap by the way, stopped about a week ago but the RL haters just cant let it go. To me that is issues. By the way you never did answer Kosi when he showed you a post where you said we overachieved under RL in his time. Don't bother answering it because im sick of it but its noted.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
samoht wrote:Now, now, plugger.

The issues are the RL lovers as we seem to be call, which is crap by the way, stopped about a week ago but the RL haters just cant let it go. To me that is issues. By the way you never did answer Kosi when he showed you a post where you said we overachieved under RL in his time. Don't bother answering it because im sick of it but its noted.
Agree 100% go back to the Ross Lyon thread and stop jacking this one with your hatred and idiocies

You are garbage - Enough said