Saints V Dogs Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Saints V Dogs Thread

bigred wrote:Daniels went at 38 or so didn't he?

If he was still there I reckon they would have taken him.
Daniels went later than Lonie. Notting against Lonie, who's one of our
better youngsters, but we should have taken Daniels somehow -- we
were definitely close to doing so.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Dogs list and the general quality / excitement reminds me of saints 2004

I don't get the sense that we have the same quality. We have one billings - that's it.

Money balling early picks has cost us I reckon
You used the plural there. The only early pick we have traded of late is the one for Carlisle.

We have just not made enough good picks and trades that we have had with the picks that we have had combined with getting no 1 in a weak draft year at the top.

We keep choosing the wrong players too often.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
The Fireman wrote:could we win the spoon ?
We will be bottom 4. Wont win the spoon though. Essendon and Carlton will be hard to beat for that.

Freo are also Spoon bound. Probably not this year but next year. Lyon has been FOUND OUT AS A FRAUD.
Lyon is a great coach and we could very well win the spoon.
There is a groundswell building that says he is not great.

Great coaches re-invent new successful game plans and great coaches help to build great teams and mould great playing lists that have great finals series. Lyon has failed on all fronts.

Lyon inherited the players on both lists at Freo and Saints and basically picked up squads with champion players, choc full of midfield stars, Coleman medalists and even brownlow medalists. I'm guessing that when his career is over he will be judged differently from all the current sycophants. I reckon the odds are better for Freo sacking him before his contract is up, rather than Ross getting them any silverware anytime soon.

Problem with Lyon is that he is too conservative and simply a follower - not an innovator. That's one of the reasons he isn't great. His team selection and his coaching philosophy was the main reason why we struggled in the pre-lim in 2009 and failed at the last hurdle, in my opinion, when we were the most dominant team in the h&a season. The only other team I've seen be that dominant as Saints were in '09 in the last 30 years was Essendon in 2000 and they took home the silverware in that year.

He blamed his players for us losing in '09. He was wrong and as a young coach learning on the job I thought he was way too arrogant to believe that he hadn't made just as significant mistakes as his players.

Lyon failed to embrace the flair and speed of our youth during his reign as Saints coach. Our youth was neglected in favour of recycled rejects. The youth wasn't utilised and wasn't given opportunities that would have been positive for the short and long term benefit of our whole playing list and our clubs future. It cost us a flag and it's costing us still now.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 03 Apr 2016 12:03am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Tom_Sainter wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:McCartin instead of Petracca.

Lonie instead of Caleb Daniels.

Acres instead of Hartung.

Not looking great for our recruiters tonight.
Not too worried about these picks, the trading of pick 5 for Carlisle and 14 doesn't look great at the moment. Watched Parish today and he looks like he is going to be a gun
You do realise that Parish was not taken with the StKilda pick....that went on Aaron Francis

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We traded
Picks
16, 12, 12, 5

Since 2009

Pick 17
2001, 2005

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Doggies have nailed most of their picks in recent years. Boyd is an odd one out, but that mainly cost them too much is $$$ rather than in picks. (Pick 6 plus Griffen, but Griffen would not have been part of their future anyway).

The Bont at 4 and Stringer at 5 have been out-performs for them.Macrae a pretty good choice too.

As mentioned earlier they have also been blessed with two really good father sons (which is something that has not been our fortune to date).

However credit to the Doggies as in recent years they have done most things right drafting wise. They have built a very good young list with some real cream to it as well. And not just from earlu picks either. ie Jason Johannisen from being a rookie.

The Recruit
Club Player

Seriously the Parish for Carlise thing is ridiculous......we got Carlisle instead of these players

Aaron Francis
Jacob Hopper
Callum Ah Chee
Sam Weiderman
Harry Mackay
Wayne Milera
Charlie Curnow
Matthew Kennedy
Eric Hipwood
Daniel Rioli
Harrison Himmelberg
Tom Doedee

NOT DARCY PARISH! We had 0% chance of getting him
Get it the f*** right...!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Glad I missed that and was asleep due to a different Timezone!

I see the crowd was only 37K

Maddie's match and Roo's 300th, Saturday night against a Vic team.

If we can't crack 40K God help us draw 20K mid year

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Slowest side in the comp, smallest side in the comp, worst kicking side in the comp. lucky we apply good pressure otherwise we'd be last.

Time to end the Seb Ross myth, he is a plodder and has no part going forward. Bring acres back and leave him in.

Hopefully we don't recruit another tiny forward pocket type at the end of the year, we might have enough....
At some point we might want to address the fact that all our defenders are purile by foot and you are going nowhere fast until this is addressed, purile by foot all over the ground realistically . Negative post, but realistic. We apply great pressure, not much else going for us.

Bring back the Lockett era
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Dogs list and the general quality / excitement reminds me of saints 2004

I don't get the sense that we have the same quality. We have one billings - that's it.

You used the plural there. The only early pick we have traded of late is the one for Carlisle.

We have just not made enough good picks and trades that we have had with the picks that we have had combined with getting no 1 in a weak draft year at the top.

No demo money balled pick 12 and our Goddard compo pick in the one draft effectively 12 & 13

#1 Ryder fan
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Firstly, credit to the doggies. They look gooooooood. They set up across the ground so well and they really work hard and play for each other. I lost count of how many times they had more numbers at the footy even if it was moved quickly from one part of the ground to another... They still got the numbers there first. I was often left wondering "Where is everyone? They're all lost in no man's land".

What terrified me about St Kilda last night was that at times they reminded me of the many shite Richmond sides from 10 years ago. Clumsy, not running hard enough, atrocious kicking. Something else that worried me was that our best player on the ground was playing in his 300th match!

I was pretty grumpy last night when I left Etihad. I've slept it off now. It wasn't just a big night for Nick but it was a big night for the club. There seemed to be a lot of Saints followers there last night to salute St. Nick that hadn't been to many games over the last few years. And the players served up that kind of showing.... Yes, they tried but watching footy played like that is like pulling your toe nails out. Apart from the rusted on week in, week out followers like myself. What's going to get them coming back again? Is anyone going to bother to come to next week's 50th anniversary celebration match?

They way they played last night was like being slapped in the face with a limp piece of lettuce. Dogs could have easily won by 85.

realdeal
Club Player

Was it also abit of a concern that the a Melb and decimated Ess team got a crowd of about 50 thousand whilst our 1st home game of the year, featuring Roo's 300th, attracted about 37 thousand?

Huge game for us next week, let's hope all supporters get down to the 'G' for a winnable game on a big occasion for the club.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

No demo money balled pick 12 and our Goddard compo pick in the one draft effectively 12 & 13
Ok I understand your terminology now, though I dont regard those picks as early. But again strategy was ok IF we had of chosen the right players as players available with the original picks was not that flash.

Unfortunately our recruiters seem to be too cute wanting to pick players with flaws that other clubs have passed over and unfortunately so far seems to NOT be working more often than not. Lonie looks to be one of the few such picks that are an "out-perform" for where they were taken.

In an era where footskills are so important our recruiters have on average continued to ignore this vital skill.