Jake Carlisle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jake Carlisle

cwrcyn wrote:I know it stinks, but our priority was a quality key defender. We got back pick 14, so it's not a disaster. We got Goddard, Mckenzie, Dunstan, and Acres at around pick 20 remember. I know we won't get the cream of the picks, but a midfielder at 14 versus a midfielder at 5 can often mean very little in the long run.
agreed

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Ffs no one coluded to screw us.
We are saying saints list mangers were stupid enough to get screwed

Lol

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The way I see it, we're still 2 genuinely good midfielders away from having a premiership list.

You could argue that with Carlisle (the good version from 2011) and Goddard, our defence has the foundations already. Our ruck stocks are covered. With McCartin and Bruce, Lonie and Billings up forward you could argue that the stumps are in place up there too.

The midfield is the clear weakness. Armo and Steven are solid, but clearly need another 2 A-Graders for it to be fair dinkum.

So the more I think about it, it probably was the safer option to get Carlisle whilst we could to lock in that area of the ground for the future. Tightening up the defence is also a good way to help the midfield as it develops.

If Rice and Feeeman come good, then you'd clearly look back on this period as a good one.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Johnny Member wrote:
If Rice and Freeman come good, then you'd clearly look back on this period as a good one.
Re: Freeman - I wonder how many players who have consistently missed games (or seasons in Freeman's case) due to chronic soft-tissue injuries, have nevertheless managed to resurrect/finally kick-off their careers at other clubs who were prepared to take a gamble with them?

spert
Saintsational Legend

I wonder where Delaney will fit in the backline puzzle?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Was thinking this the other day spert when it looked like the Carlisle deal was done in principal
Have no idea.

st.rick
Club Player

spert wrote:I wonder where Delaney will fit in the backline puzzle?
traded to fremantle for weller ;)

I think we've done ok in this trade given the circumstances.

WELCOME to the SAINTS Jake!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
saynta wrote:
robbie muir wrote:Carlisle should be a good pick up , no doubt about it.
However with all our grandstanding over the last week and a bit , all we have managed to do is get Carlisle for the equivalent of pick 8.
To me that is way above what we should have paid.
Essendon & Sydney got the better deal. Why did we cave in on 44 at the last minute?
Bains didn't do as well as we thought he would.
Did Essendon and Sydney collude to screw us over at the 11th hour? Appears so.
How did we get screwed over??? We got our trade target and stayed in the first round of the draft, so in terms of points, we picked up Carlisle for a points differential of -1502 which equates to a pick between 8 and 9 which is maybe slightly overs but certainly not reamed.
I think Sydney got reamed big time on this deal, they effectively traded Bird for an increase of 16 points which equates to a draft pick between 72 and 73, I'm not sure why they even got involved in the deal.
I was only referring to pick 44

saynta
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Ffs no one coluded to screw us.

Lol
All the reports said we had pick 44 and the swans had picks 23 and 24. Then in the wash up the dons held on to pick 23 and gave the swans pick 24 and 44.

Something happened, and there is a story there. I am interested to find out what it is. Looks like we got stiffed over pick 44.

I'm betting that the picks gave the swans the required no of points so they didn't much care. The cheaters got to hold on to their second rounder and we get stiffed.

The list managers were probably left with no choices. Don't put words in my mouth.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Was thinking this the other day spert when it looked like the Carlisle deal was done in principal
Have no idea.
He might be one of the two or three players still to be delisted.

It has to be out of Farren, Delaney , Lee, Curren or saunders.

kp83
Club Player

spert wrote:I wonder where Delaney will fit in the backline puzzle?
As a depth player used as cover for injuries/suspensions (hopefully not WADA imposed ones!), which I think is about his level.
Don't see him as a week-in week-out FB for the next 5 years.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Report in today's hun says that a rival club boss said that Carlton under SOS had joined Essendon as footy's most difficult negotiators.

Not much of a surprise there.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

saynta wrote:

Lol
All the reports said we had pick 44 and the swans had picks 23 and 24. Then in the wash up the dons held on to pick 23 and gave the swans pick 24 and 44.

Something happened, and there is a story there. I am interested to find out what it is. Looks like we got stiffed over pick 44.

I'm betting that the picks gave the swans the required no of points so they didn't much care. The cheaters got to hold on to their second rounder and we get stiffed.

The list managers were probably left with no choices. Don't put words in my mouth.
Why does it have to be a conspiracy, why can't it just be a mistake in reporting? Surely the Swans weren't stupid enough to give up a decent player and their first round pick for just pick 23?? If they didn't get pick 44 they would have come out of it a player short and a points deficit of nearly 800 points.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Report in today's hun says that a rival club boss said that Carlton under SOS had joined Essendon as footy's most difficult negotiators.

Not much of a surprise there.

It's difficult though.

Bains would be slammed by us if he paid overs. But he's slammed by the media and other clubs for not 'just getting the deal done'.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

When Jake Carlisle takes a match saving mark or is swung forward late in a game and kicks three goals to win a tight match, I wont be thinking about #44 or next years 2nd or whatever.

Would prefer to win football matches than trades in the off season.

You are garbage - Enough said
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Johnny Member wrote:The way I see it, we're still 2 genuinely good midfielders away from having a premiership list.

You could argue that with Carlisle (the good version from 2011) and Goddard, our defence has the foundations already. Our ruck stocks are covered. With McCartin and Bruce, Lonie and Billings up forward you could argue that the stumps are in place up there too.

The midfield is the clear weakness. Armo and Steven are solid, but clearly need another 2 A-Graders for it to be fair dinkum.

So the more I think about it, it probably was the safer option to get Carlisle whilst we could to lock in that area of the ground for the future. Tightening up the defence is also a good way to help the midfield as it develops.

If Rice and Feeeman come good, then you'd clearly look back on this period as a good one.
Spine is

Carlisle
Goddard
Bruce
McCartin

Freeman could be that elite mid if he stays well

Full bore on a FA elite mid next season or a JOM type

You are garbage - Enough said
st.rick
Club Player

Don't know why people are worried we lost pick 44? where we going to get the next fyfe with it.

ripplug66
Club Player

st.rick wrote:Don't know why people are worried we lost pick 44? where we going to get the next fyfe with it.

Milne or Weller.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
saynta wrote:

Lol

Why does it have to be a conspiracy, why can't it just be a mistake in reporting? Surely the Swans weren't stupid enough to give up a decent player and their first round pick for just pick 23?? If they didn't get pick 44 they would have come out of it a player short and a points deficit of nearly 800 points.
You seem to have missed the point that as originally reported the cheaters were giving the Swans two 2nd round picks 23 and 24.

The only winners out of the revised final deal were the cheaters.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:When Jake Carlisle takes a match saving mark or is swung forward late in a game and kicks three goals to win a tight match, I wont be thinking about #44 or next years 2nd or whatever.
Then there'll be complaints that we'd have been better off losing and he's cost us another good pick.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Very happy to finally get a monster key defender after years of being undersized.

Extra happy to retain a first round pick.

Couldn't give a continental about pick 44. If the Injectors think they screwed us, good luck to them. I'll just keep watching the video of their key defender announcing to the world "this club is f*$%ed".

Always loyal
darylcowie
Club Player

samoht wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
If Rice and Freeman come good, then you'd clearly look back on this period as a good one.
Re: Freeman - I wonder how many players who have consistently missed games (or seasons in Freeman's case) due to chronic soft-tissue injuries, have nevertheless managed to resurrect/finally kick-off their careers at other clubs who were prepared to take a gamble with them?
Ironically, Bailey Rice's dad was in a similar situation (albeit not an untried player) after we let him go thinking his knee was completely stuffed and he ended up being a premiership player with the Blues.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Very happy to finally get a monster key defender after years of being undersized.

Extra happy to retain a first round pick.

Couldn't give a continental about pick 44. If the Injectors think they screwed us, good luck to them. I'll just keep watching the video of their key defender announcing to the world "this club is f*$%ed".

:D Not a good look though is it, as james Bracey said last night

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

spert wrote:Richo is clearly building a spine, and whatever other goodies we can get in trading will just be icing on the cake
obviously code for clearly cutting a line & trading ice?
:wink: 8-) :?
we will have to call you spertadarmus from now one

Seeya
markp
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Goose is king wrote:Carlisle should put his arm in a sling and post it on social media. That should help our position.
Trade/draft tampering?
Or just tweet "I ❤ meth."
:oops: