Grant Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Grant Thomas

As I said

Stars loved him

I know a player that hated him!!!

Of course it was a youngish player (in his reign)

Actually said, he didn’t give him the time of day… unless it was to berate him.

Called him an arsehole

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

A lot of the people we talk about are absolutely power houses in their business/entrepreneurial lives. I don't know anyone here personally, and I am relatively new, but I do imagine that there are many business types here. Regardless of whether you make a million bucks or not, the fact that anyone has the gumption to go out on their own, or even with partners, and creates a business blows my little over-educated mind. And I wonder how you business types view somebody of the ilk of GT in the light of his success in business.

For all the mocking and criticism, all the laughing at the jargon GT used, or his oddnesses and eccentricities, we also recognize that he must be an absolute power hitter in business. How is it possible? The self-belief must be through the roof. These guys (and gals) are over-achievers. They are not immune from mistakes or any number of unscrupulous things that the rest of the population partake it - or are they? Isn't it funny how they are so roasted here. Even the players. I say Seb Ross is going through the motions, but if I found out he owns the building, I'll take it back quick sticks!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 01 Sep 2021 12:36am As I said

Stars loved him

I know a player that hated him!!!

Of course it was a youngish player (in his reign)

Actually said, he didn’t give him the time of day… unless it was to berate him.

Called him an arsehole
There were a few others with the same thoughts. He never let the young uns even train with the seniors.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 11:37pm
saynta wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 12:25pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 31 Aug 2021 12:35am
saynta wrote: Mon 30 Aug 2021 12:50pm From the heraldsun.com.au The tackle

Not all players coached by the tosser loved him, or so it would appear.

"Ed Langdon gave Ross Lyon a little clip on Saturday night with his comments on post-match radio.

Langdon said it was a nice change at Melbourne under a “cool, calm and collected” Simon Goodwin, compared to being at Fremantle where Ross Lyon yelled at players if they didn’t look at him in the eye in meetings."
Ed apologised next day and said he was taken out of context
Worse than the ABC....you left that bit out.
No. That came later. Ed came crawling back the NEXT day as you pointed out.

Not a man prepared to stick by his words it would seem.
So now Ed’s a scumbag as well as Lyon??
:lol:
If he does not wear the RW&B Jumper - of course he is - they all are

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Mark Harvey on Front Bar a week or so ago. Those panel guys are irreverent as, but during a wide ranging chat no opinion from Mark on Ross Lyon, although he made a face like he had tasted something bitter when a panelist mentioned Ross.

The panel tip toed around the subject of Rossy. I guessed Mark thought he was back stabbed by Lyon ( my words) and everyone appreciated he should not be put in a position to have to comment on Ross' ethics.

R. Lyon has a lot that not only don't like him they don't respect him. He may not get the Carlton job because of that lack of personal respect and the harassment settlement might just be the excuse.

Ross seems more and more defensive of his coaching and contractual record and I almost think Nick protests too much when he goes out of his way to sing Lyon's praises On the Couch. Obviously Nick would have been a fav. and maybe was oblivious to how others were treated.

Maybe Ross is a genius, just unlucky and misunderstood by many. Maybe he is just a piece of work that squandered golden ops.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 01 Sep 2021 2:52pm Mark Harvey on Front Bar a week or so ago. Those panel guys are irreverent as, but during a wide ranging chat no opinion from Mark on Ross Lyon, although he made a face like he had tasted something bitter when a panelist mentioned Ross.

The panel tip toed around the subject of Rossy. I guessed Mark thought he was back stabbed by Lyon ( my words) and everyone appreciated he should not be put in a position to have to comment on Ross' ethics.

R. Lyon has a lot that not only don't like him they don't respect him. He may not get the Carlton job because of that lack of personal respect and the harassment settlement might just be the excuse.

Ross seems more and more defensive of his coaching and contractual record and I almost think Nick protests too much when he goes out of his way to sing Lyon's praises On the Couch. Obviously Nick would have been a fav. and maybe was oblivious to how others were treated.

Maybe Ross is a genius, just unlucky and misunderstood by many. Maybe he is just a piece of work that squandered golden ops.
Ross isn't liked of course. That's the stereotype he presents...and those are real exemplars we live and die by. They are not trivial.

He's tolerated like one might appreciate a dry technocrat in the military, transport or treasury. Respected like a tough kid in the schoolyard who wasn't great in class or had many friends but would slug it out and win a atreet fight.

He is charmless and whiney ...and the town doesn't like him.

Meanwhile, Clarko can lie his ass off, smile and play his guitar, and we all cheer, 'onya Clarko".what a champ!"

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 01 Sep 2021 2:52pm Mark Harvey on Front Bar a week or so ago. Those panel guys are irreverent as, but during a wide ranging chat no opinion from Mark on Ross Lyon, although he made a face like he had tasted something bitter when a panelist mentioned Ross.

Your last line hit thenail on the head.

The tosser flossed actually stolen Harvey's job, if you can actually do that.

Thomas used to come on this forum and chat with us. Can you imagine that duck waddling Lyin doing that?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 01 Sep 2021 3:10pm

Ross isn't liked of course. That's the stereotype he presents...and those are real exemplars we live and die by. They are not trivial.

He's tolerated like one might appreciate a dry technocrat in the military, transport or treasury. Respected like a tough kid in the schoolyard who wasn't great in class or had many friends but would slug it out and win a atreet fight.

Meanwhile, Clarko can lie his ass off, smile and play his guitar, and we all cheer, 'onya Clarko".what a champ!"
More than a bit of truth in that.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 01 Sep 2021 3:10pm

I too want to make out with Clarko...wait, we were talking about him being our coach right?

If so, he's a sexy bastard that can do no wrong, if he shuns us he's back down the "AFL players I'd kiss if they coach us to a GF win" list to #3,673 below Mark Jacko Jackson.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Lyin just talks nonsense

I have no idea what to make of the rubbish that comes out of his mouth.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 3424bfRoss Lyon has revealed he has reached out to Carlton’s president seeking clarity about how the club intends to select its new senior coach.

Lyon has been the favourite to secure the role since the Blues sacked David Teague a week ago but it no longer appears a one-horse race.

On Wednesday, Carlton announced its sub-committee to find Teague’s replacement as the club sought to make an appointment in the next 30 to 45 days, according to president Luke Sayers.

Asked on Footy Classified if the goal posts had changed, Lyon said: “I was watching the news and what was being released so I reached out to Luke today and we connected and said ‘just want some clarity’.

“Luke was terrific, he said ‘we’re finalising it, putting some finishing touches on it’, which they’ve clearly done with the panel,” the former Fremantle and St Kilda coach said.

“The other part is clearly what the process looks like because it’s just a word.

“Everyone’s got a process but what sits within that, the mechanics, what needs to be delivered.

“When that’s put to me and hopefully that comes tomorrow, then you’ll sit down ... but you’ve got to make sure I fit that process.”

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Has Ross the Boss shot himself in the foot now?

Pressing the system to reveal its contradictions or expose it hypocrisy not a popular move.

We all know they swing between 'boat race' and 'system' at their whim. Calling them out aint a good idea.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

He is sounding a little nervous, perhaps desperate. Is he channelling his inner Terry Wallet?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 2:16pm He is sounding a little nervous, perhaps desperate. Is he channelling his inner Terry Wallet?
He's pulled out...officially.

That helps his reputation IMO....he 'looks redeemed' a bit.

but doesn't help him in pursuing his stated ambition.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Dumb move by Carlton as he was well-suited to that job.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Lazy

Just didn’t want to go through the process of presenting and being interviewed

He just wanted them to give him the job because of who he is

Ego

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 3:59pm Lazy

Ego
Just was speaking to a Shepparton based cousin who has known the Teague family for a very long time. Apparently Lyon has blood on his hands, working overtime with Carlton to knife David Teague. Having done that and thinking he was a walk up start, spat the dummy at the process. I think the Blues may have dodged a bullet, but does not help the deposed coach.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 9:31pm

Ego
Just was speaking to a Shepparton based cousin who has known the Teague family for a very long time. Apparently Lyon has blood on his hands, working overtime with Carlton to knife David Teague. Having done that and thinking he was a walk up start, spat the dummy at the process. I think the Blues may have dodged a bullet, but does not help the deposed coach.
Yikes

Super disturbing if true

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Ego
Nor does it help Carlton if that was their impetus. Seems Teague was a dead man walking and Carlton have wavered according to the tea leaves.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 9:38pm

Ego
Yikes

Super disturbing if true
Ya know...if he was lobbying Carlton behind Teague's back, well, I can understand it. He wasn't about to call Teague and ask, 'may I try to promote myself at your expense and politely, may I request you do not go to the press or tell your best mates (so they'll leak it)'

What were his choices?

He doesn't have charm of the kind that makes him a walk up starter like Clarko. (Guaranteed if Clarko just called the 'process' would be over in a flash)

Lyon has to play that way.

Like Nixon and JFK.. JFK could bonk his secretaries all day and people would chuckle...Nixon? Forget it. He makes one gesture and he will be framed and slaughtered.

In my job, I am not aware of someone trying to backstab me out of a job right now (touch wood) but it is not uncommon for outsiders to lobby my superiors in any number of canny and covert ways.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ego
f*** me. Wouldn't be surprised if that proves to be true.

History repeating itself. He knifed Harvey in the back to get the Freo job whilst at the same time lying to the Saints.

Not someone you would want standing behind you,

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saynta wrote: Fri 03 Sep 2021 12:46pm

Ego

History repeating itself. He knifed Harvey in the back to get the Freo job whilst at the same time lying to the Saints.

True true true

My memory of the Lyin turd going to Freo,
was that him and Mark Harvey had the same manager (Craig Kelly? Not the pollie, haha but former Pies CHB)
So...kept Kelly n Harvey out of the loop, stealth mode, went direct to Freo and presented himself in secret.

Kelly washed his hands of him after.
Lyin did what was right for him n his family (lost huge $$ due to poor investment advice) and he n his wife+4 kids were apparently living in a cottage in the back of his parent's property.
I imagine there's a breach of contract or something, when you do something behind your manager's back...morally, the act seems distasteful, mercenary, brutal, etc

At the risk of being accused of libel, all the above is my recollection and I can retract all of it if mods get worried :shock:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 03 Sep 2021 12:57pm
saynta wrote: Fri 03 Sep 2021 12:46pm

Ego

True true true

My memory of the Lyin turd going to Freo,
was that him and Mark Harvey had the same manager (Craig Kelly? Not the pollie, haha but former Pies CHB)
So...kept Kelly n Harvey out of the loop, stealth mode, went direct to Freo and presented himself in secret.

Kelly washed his hands of him after.
Lyin did what was right for him n his family (lost huge $$ due to poor investment advice) and he n his wife+4 kids were apparently living in a cottage in the back of his parent's property.
I imagine there's a breach of contract or something, when you do something behind your manager's back...morally, the act seems distasteful, mercenary, brutal, etc

At the risk of being accused of libel, all the above is my recollection and I can retract all of it if mods get worried :shock:
You could rely on the defence of "truth" or "public interest" or both,depending in which state you get sued in.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Seems like all the 'favourites' the powerbrokers at Carlton were sure they could get have reneged and they got rid of Teague for nobody.

GT should apply

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Fri 03 Sep 2021 2:03pm Seems like all the 'favourites' the powerbrokers at Carlton were sure they could get have reneged and they got rid of Teague for nobody.

GT should apply
:wink: