New Answers fromFootyFirst/Board Challenge Updates

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

I must also for purely selfish reasons admit feelinga bit let down that there are no really high profile people involved....ones of the calibre that would have supplied immediate extra grunt.
That is irrelevant SR.

IF Fox was on the ticket, i would run a hundred miles away from it. What is more important is:
- that they have the credentials & capabilties,
- how committed & focused they are,
- how well they understand the real issues & problems,
- what they will actually bring & do about it

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
I must also for purely selfish reasons admit feelinga bit let down that there are no really high profile people involved....ones of the calibre that would have supplied immediate extra grunt.
That is irrelevant SR.

IF Fox was on the ticket, i would run a hundred miles away from it. What is more important is:
exactly, and now they have broken cover, it is up to them to lay out their policies and solutions

CLEARLY AND IN DETAIL

I dont want to be treated with contempt and like a musheroom.

You have put up an alternate ticket, now show us your strategic plan (for at least 5 years) and your solutions.

All I have heard so far is that you are going to spend. Without increased revenue we will end up with a begging bowl like Melbourne, the Dogs, and Roos.

Anyone want that to occur?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
kaos theory
Club Player

JB -

I don't think its in their interest to show in detail what they will do to address this. That will come out later. The reason for this is that the current board can just copy them and say, 'oh yes, we have the same plan, or have that already covered'

Also, they are not going to have developed in fine detail HOW they will do things. From the outside as a challenger, they need to identify specifically WHAT they indend to do to address things.

Also, the onus is just as much on the current board to show a clear vision forward, but all I see is they are floundering...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
I do want to be treated like a musheroom.
Well, if someone can keep you in the dark I'll supply the other 1/2 of the equation :wink: !!

kaos theory
Club Player

Aslo, JB, when the current board came to power, they didn't really have a highly detailed plan forward....they worked it out as they went through the job. What they had was a broad vision....

So far, this challenger has a much stronger vision & focus than the current board did before it was elected...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:Aslo, JB, when the current board came to power, they didn't really have a highly detailed plan forward....they worked it out as they went through the job. What they had was a broad vision....

So far, this challenger has a much stronger vision & focus than the current board did before it was elected...
Different situation.

The changeover was seemless, there was no challenge, as well they did have a plan, and Waldron put it in place when he became CEO.

As for the alternate ticket no putting their policies forward. If they treat the membership with contempt they will not get voted in. If they are scared of metooism, they haven't the courage or ticker to be a board.

Also the incumbant has the luxury of its past record. It will point to $mill profits and retirement of debt (and the spectre of a STKFC in financial trouble with the new ticket). Profits dont wash with me, but they do with the masses.

No kaos, cant agree. The people after the spill need to spell out their strategic plan clearly and concisely.

I dont want to hear motherhood statements and no practical solutions.

I want to hear solutions to their "concerns". And from both parties, not just the alternate ticket.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:Aslo, JB, when the current board came to power, they didn't really have a highly detailed plan forward....they worked it out as they went through the job. What they had was a broad vision....

They also have a Club that is DEBT FREE unlike the current Board faced on arrival.

I'm curious why everyone seems to forget that 1 of the key platforms this Board ran against the Plympton Board on was to repay debt, and put the Club on a sound financial footing.

It now seems that the fact they have had years of sustained financial stability which they have used to retire debt (exactly what they were elected to do) is now being used to undermine their credibility?

IIRC this is the first year that the Club is Debt Free and therefore until now they have been unable to 'spend money' if they remained true to their election platform?

By all means be critical of them and turf them out if credible alternatives appear (and 'Footy First' may well fit that bill), but do it for rational reasons.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

The uncertainty and cloak and dagger stuff (for running a footy club FFS) is annoying but to be expected given the context and circumstances.

I too want to see the details in a longer term strategic plan, I am happy with the gist of the new group's beliefs but I do not want to sacrifice the many good things both Thomas and Butterss brought to the club. I want - soon - to see exactly how they will make the club more successful and it's future more secure.

Thomas, through engendering a culture change among our club and the team in particular, and Butterss, through managing much of our business in a sound and enterprising manner, have done a lot of good for the club. Sadly, their public actions last 12-18 months have left me cool towards both. Nevertheless, I believe both did things that made the club better.

And as for the exchange below...
Eastern wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
I do want to be treated like a musheroom.
Well, if someone can keep you in the dark I'll supply the other 1/2 of the equation :wink: !!
At least that will confirm that he's a fun guy.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

They also have a Club that is DEBT FREE unlike the current Board faced on arrival.

I'm curious why everyone seems to forget that 1 of the key platforms this Board ran against the Plympton Board on was to repay debt, and put the Club on a sound financial footing.

It now seems that the fact they have had years of sustained financial stability which they have used to retire debt (exactly what they were elected to do) is now being used to undermine their credibility?

IIRC this is the first year that the Club is Debt Free and therefore until now they have been unable to 'spend money' if they remained true to their election platform?

By all means be critical of them and turf them out if credible alternatives appear (and 'Footy First' may well fit that bill), but do it for rational reasons.
Bingo MM. STKFC suffering from the Howard syndrome it would seem. Economically strong, and due to this strength other issues have risen to challenge his position.

Lance or James??

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
That is irrelevant SR.

Perhaps to you...but not me.

Also I was not talking about FOX...

However "that they have the credentials & capabilties" is my point...as they are lacking the big end of town. Don't need heaps..but one or two would have been most worthwhile.

I don't mean Fox...as he basically just does what he pleases....but rather people who are key planks of the corporate world who are llinked in with other key corporates.

You other points are obviously ones I agree with as I have posted similar.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Brewer
Club Player

It isn't about rewarding past success.

So Butterss / Howard cleared our debt and put us back in the black. Thanks guys, have a life membership.

Now, where do we want to go? Who is going to do it best?

If that means it's 'time gentlemen please' for Rod or John so be it.

I also fail to see how a group of people who currently manage billions of dollars worth of business are going to drive the club into debt again, a very weak argument if you ask me.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
This is all well and good....

I look forward to the link being put up to:

GET THE SOLUTIONS
SR - Its not in their interest to show in detail what they will do to address this. That will come out later.

The reason for this is that the current board can just copy them and say, 'oh yes, we have the same plan, or have that already covered'

The onus is just as much on the current board to show a clear vision forward, but all I see is they are floundering...
Yes I understand that they may not today...but they need to do it well prior toa vote.

Until I see their solutions I cannot see how they are good all bad.

All you can say is that their make up looks ok.....not outstanding but ok.....but much can be said for the current Board.

Spending more $$$ on the football Department is not new as NOW that the debt has been retired it was already the current Boards intention to spend more on the football and medical departments.

ie
*the the new AIS crew.
*the expanded group of assistant and development coaches & the Football manger (even if some say they are unhappy with KS...it is still more resources having been deployed).
*more resources for recuitment

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Brewer wrote:

Now, where do we want to go? Who is going to do it best?

If that means it's 'time gentlemen please' for Rod or John so be it.

True....

....but we need to see what tey plan to do in more detail than just good intentions...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

At least there is no sign of Bedwell :)
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 11 Sep 2007 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaos theory
Club Player

MM, that is only ONE of the criteria for sucess. We need to win flags in a highly competative envronment... For the last 2 to 3 years we have thrown away the advanatges we gained from the early draft picks through 00,01,02 by not building the appropriate management & support structures in the Footy dept. A big part of the problem was also the RB & GT relationship...this in the end has cost us alot.

Also, you do not have to be completely depbt free for a stable and successful organization. Also, what about our reveune stream? It is pathetic for a club of our size & opportunity.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Either Board should now be able to ramp up football spend.....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So does anyone know more about the "alternate President" ???
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 11 Sep 2007 3:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:

MM, that is only ONE of the criteria for sucess. We need to win flags in a highly competative envronment... For the last 2 to 3 years we have thrown away the advanatges we gained from the early draft picks through 00,01,02 by not building the appropriate management & support structures in the Footy dept. A big part of the problem was also the RB & GT relationship...this in the end has cost us alot.

Also, you do not have to be completely depbt free for a stable and successful organization. Also, what about our reveune stream? It is pathetic for a club of our size & opportunity.
Kaos, I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying.

What I was concerned about, and it seems that JoffaBoy pickedup on it, was that many posters were calling for change because the Board succeeded in doing what they were elected to do - get rid of the debt that was crippling the Club , and securing our financial stability whilst at the same time improve our on-field performance so that we could win premierships.

Now that we are finally free of the crippling debt and in a position to look at spending some (not all) of our excess funds, the Board is being criticised for not spending enough? How much is enough? It would seem that if we don't have ultimate success (winning a premiership) then we can always be accused of not spending enough as it would appear that many are equating spending on football dept with winning premierships.
If that were the case then Collingwood, since Eddie came to power, would have won many premierships, and yet they have won as many as we have in the same period.

And having suffered through the times of rattling tins and seeing our Club have to enter a 'scheme of arrangement' I would be 100% against any administration that budgeted us to spend more than we had. I never again wnat to see us in a position of being in debt. You think we kowtow to the AFL now, just wait till we have to go begging, cap in hand, to them.

kaos theory
Club Player

SR & MM -
My concern is that the current board has shown little vision in this area. The challenges have already identified a structure at a board/management level of how they will take that forward.

Also, Compared man to man (& woman), the credentials of the challenging ticket gives me more confidence....starting with a CV comparision between the two candidate presidents and their styles...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes the alternate Board looks ok...not outstanding but ok.

Little is known about Westaway though???

I would like to hear more about him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
My concern is that the current board has shown little vision in this area. The challenges have already identified a structure at a board/management level of how they will take that forward.

Yes and no.....they did just 12 months ago completely restructure the football department (a move whch I support...but some do not).

But yes our Elite Sposrts Centre has been a deep concern.

With the alternates apart Solutions we also need to see what their ideas are on how they will increase revenue.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
SR & MM -

Also, Compared man to man (& woman), the credentials of the challenging ticket gives me more confidence....starting with a CV comparision between the two candidate presidents and their styles...
Kaos, that's fine.
I will wait to see what the plans are from this new group before I make my mind up. Other than spending some of the money the previous Board is going to leave them what else do we know?

I find it curious that Gdanski is listed as going to be the person negotiating the Moorabbin issue. Wasn't that his area of responsiblity with the current Board? If so, isn't it partly his resposibility that we find ourselves in the position we are in regarding that issue?

I am going to assume that amongst the Footy First Board candidates they will have 'lined up' some sponsors including quite possibly the companies they run/represent?

As for the relative business experience of both AT and NB, I'm yet to be convinced that either of them is there for any reason other than their football knowledge (not meant as a criticism).

ON the Staff turnover issue raised in a numper of posts, I would suggest that none of us really know the true situation in these and we can all hypothesise as much as we like to further our own particular point of view.

I do know tha Friend was 'poached' by us from Hawthorn and subsequently 'poached from us by Waldron to Melbourne Storm.
Waldron was sensational for us and I too wish he was still with us (he still barracks for us!) but I believe there was no option in him leaving.

Many other of the staff turnover could quite rightly be put down to normal staff movements, many going to better paid/better conditions positions elsewhere. I note that none have gone to other football clubs?

As for Archie Frasaer, I have had no personal dealings with him so cannot comment on his performance. I do know one of our medium size sponsors who also has sponsorships at 3 other AFL CLubs and he claims AF, categorically is the most professional CEO of the 4 and the best to deal with.

Should RB go. Yes if there is someone better to run my Club. B

BUT
I will be forever grateful to him and his Board for turning my Club around from its parlous position.
I will also be forever grateful to GT for giving me initially hope, and then pride in the way my Club played on the field.

And I have no doubt, whoever is running my Club, the team under RL will again make me proud to be a loyal Sainst supporter.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

well said magic

BradWA
Club Player

New Board

I would like to some how find out
1. Are they all members of the SKFC and for how long as this is very important
2. Where were they when RB and Board took over from A Plympton when we were 6 Mil + in Debt .
3. Its alright to get on a ship thats not drowning in DEBT and then reap some glory.
Show us all these answers and we will look at your challange.

The Moderator Nazi,s strike again, Oh forgot, shyt im not in the purple circle.
Saints43
Club Player

Re: New Board

BradWA wrote:2. Where were they when RB and Board took over from A Plympton when we were 6 Mil + in Debt.
Are you sure about that?