St Kilda swap pick 20 for pick 25, Saad & Milera

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:I think I speak for everyone when I say "wow!"............been pretty much waiting to see what the damage was in this draft period....didn't expect to get two high rated smalls for virtually nothing

Is this a case of here's the good news........now get ready for the bad news..?
or is that just my traditional StKilda pessimism ?

So far so good, well done Pelchen.
It's looking like Pelchen in/Lyon out = win/win for the Saints.

jays
Club Player

very happy about this trade

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:didn't expect to get two high rated smalls for virtually nothing
high-rated? milera's so high-rated that he played sanfl reserves all last year. it's a long way from there to afl level so i won't be expecting much from him in the short term.

i'm more excited about saad. people who know footy seem to like him. i haven't seen him play but at 176cm he's the same height as milne and schneider. i imagine he's still got some work to do to get an afl-size body.

i like their ages though. saad slots in between mcevoy and steven; milera is between armo and gamble. that's a spot on the list where we really needed bodies.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page ... ask=DETAIL

"Has young Milera taken the mark of the century?

THE reaction was one of disbelief.

"He's just taken the mark of the century," gasped those around me at the Port Adelaide v Norwood reserves match at Alberton Park on Sunday.

Terry Milera launched himself so high over an opponent he took the ball out in front of his chest, hauling in one of the best marks you will see...."

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
high-rated? milera's so high-rated that he played sanfl reserves all last year. it's a long way from there to afl level so i won't be expecting much from him in the short term.

i'm more excited about saad. people who know footy seem to like him. i haven't seen him play but at 176cm he's the same height as milne and schneider. i imagine he's still got some work to do to get an afl-size body.

i like their ages though. saad slots in between mcevoy and steven; milera is between armo and gamble. that's a spot on the list where we really needed bodies.
By last year do you mean last season (ie, 2011)? According to the HS article, he won the reserves Magarey Medal last year (2010) before kicking 18 goals in 16 senior games this season.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
savatage
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Played basically the full year in the seniors this year...
Needs to hit the weights - but don't underestimate this guy..is highly rated...

savatage
SS Life Member

Oh & Saad's body is AFL ready. He's ready to go.

shmic_s
Club Player

bergholt wrote:i imagine he's still got some work to do to get an afl-size body.
From all the photos i've seen, Saad has looked ready to go.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
bergholt wrote:milera's so high-rated that he played sanfl reserves all last year.
By last year do you mean last season (ie, 2011)? According to the HS article, he won the reserves Magarey Medal last year (2010) before kicking 18 goals in 16 senior games this season.
by last year i mean last year - 2010. as you said, he won the reserves medal at the age of 22 and then this year (thanks savatage) pushed into the sanfl senior side.

he may turn out to be great, but i reckon it makes sense to keep expectations realistic for a while.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I've got to say, I'm a bit surprised at the whole "Pelchen is God" thing going on today.

There are reasons these 2 guys are 22 and 23, and haven't been picked up by AFL sides already.

They are no doubt handy additions to our list, and may one day turn into quality AFL players, but if anyone thinks these guys were the difference between an Elimination Final and a flag in 2012, they're deluded.

savatage
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:I've got to say, I'm a bit surprised at the whole "Pelchen is God" thing going on today.

There are reasons these 2 guys are 22 and 23, and haven't been picked up by AFL sides already.

They are no doubt handy additions to our list, and may one day turn into quality AFL players, but if anyone thinks these guys were the difference between an Elimination Final and a flag in 2012, they're deluded.
I think Saad will surprise you and a lot of others next year!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
bergholt wrote:milera's so high-rated that he played sanfl reserves all last year.
by last year i mean last year - 2010. as you said, he won the reserves medal at the age of 22 and then this year (thanks savatage) pushed into the sanfl senior side.
Lets not forget Isaak Smith was playing local footy in Ballarat in early 2010 and then pushed up to play some VFL games late in the year and by 12 months later was having 12 possie quarters in AFL finals. It matters far more where they're at right now and where they're going than where they've been, or how they got here.
No matter how Milera's gotten here he can still be highly rated right now. That still doesn't guarantee that he'll have any success for us though.
Here's hoping he turns out to be a ripper, though.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Lets not forget Isaak Smith was playing local footy in Ballarat in early 2010 and then pushed up to play some VFL games late in the year and by 12 months later was having 12 possie quarters in AFL finals. It matters far more where they're at right now and where they're going than where they've been, or how they got here.

No matter how Milera's gotten here he can still be highly rated right now. That still doesn't guarantee that he'll have any success for us though.
Here's hoping he turns out to be a ripper, though.
Well said APS :)

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:
You don't think the fact Saad has only been playing the game for 5 years may have something to do with it?
Unlike say a Tommy Walsh, he may have only considered playing elite-level sport in the last couple of years and may only have been taking it seriously for a short time.
The fact he has progressed so much in the last two years is a great sign. If that upward trajectory continues and with the benefits of an AFL pre-season, he could give us a really good option next year and beyond.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Thu 13 Oct 2011 4:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Oh & Saad's body is AFL ready. He's ready to go.

Yep

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere in this long thread .. but provides some of Milera's raw match stats.

http://www.portmagpies.com.au/player_pr ... p?pid=2194

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

"Saad started with the Bullants in 2009 and played most of year in the reserves under Martin Pike. Saad played a fair chunk of that season in defence but made his name in 2010 as a quick small forward.

The bigger grounds at AFL level should suit his style" (VFL website).

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to publicly put on the record the following:-

Brilliant move
Shocking move

so that I too can be a 'hindsight Harry' in the future and be able to state categorically that :-
'I posted this' when the trade works/doesn't work.

:)
And SainterK, when the Sponsorship Program gets released (in about 4 weeks) I can see no reason why we couldn't select either/both of these players depending on how the Club categorizes them.
Other than Tommy Walsh over the past 2 seasons we normally switch sponsored players from year to year.

shmic_s
Club Player

Article from the Port Magpies website congratulating Milera.

http://www.portmagpies.com.au/news.php?news_id=772
Last edited by shmic_s on Thu 13 Oct 2011 4:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:.Lets not forget Isaak Smith was playing local footy in Ballarat in early 2010.
played for Redan in the ballarat football league for about half the season in 2010 (after playing in the resevers for about half the previous season) then started playing for North Ballarat (VFL side) and was then taken at number 19 in the draft by hawthorn, and played 20+ posi games in all their finals all at the age of 21/22.

So in two years he went from playing resi's for a ok club in a ok league to playing for hawthorn in their finals campaign.

goodie
Club Player

So let's get this straight:

Collingwood pay a 47 pick downgrade (from 25 to 67) for Marty Clarke and Jamie Elliott
St Kilda pay a 5 pick downgrade (from 20 to 25) for Terry Milera & Ahmed Saad

I don't care how much the Pies love and miss Clarke, they got reamed.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I've got to say, I'm a bit surprised at the whole "Pelchen is God" thing going on today.

Look before you crack the Saad's over this, where is our little annoying running shyte like Betts, Gartlett or Neon Leon?

Maybe Saad is that person for us that don't have at the moment.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:So let's get this straight:

Collingwood pay a 47 pick downgrade (from 25 to 67) for Marty Clarke and Jamie Elliott
St Kilda pay a 5 pick downgrade (from 20 to 25) for Terry Milera & Ahmed Saad

I don't care how much the Pies love and miss Clarke, they got reamed.
And as much as they may love Clarke, and as much as they may rate Clarke, it's gotta hurt when you have to give up something to get something you previously had.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We still have to do some moving on to counter the salary cap situation, so we have'nt finished in Trade week yet.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:We still have to do some moving on to counter the salary cap situation, so we have'nt finished in Trade week yet.
I hope you are right.

Already 7 pages on this trade!

Gives us a lot to pontificate about.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.