Where is Nick Riewoldt?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where is Nick Riewoldt?

This thread gets.....

'Where is Riewoldt, where is Riewoldt. Where is he, where is he'

in my head :)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Won't be reading any of your weekend posts then Plunger.

i think the're the good ones.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

someone should do a kids book
wheres rooey - like wheres wally

ranked purely on effort - hes probably still number 1 at the club. its just the old body doesnt do what the mind tells it to all the time these days.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: AS for Roo - Cairnsman, I never said you questioned his courage. The truly ignorant only ever do that, and I don't put you in that catagory. What many blokes I know don't like about Roo, and I'm getting the impression you're one of them, is his, lets call it, metro sexual traits.... I wouldn't imagine he's been in too many punch ons in his life for instance. I certainly don't hold that against him, in fact I respect him him for that. He's not one to crash through packs lilke a Carey or G. Ablett Snr. Why would he? He doesn't have that physique, but that doesn't stop ppl labelling him as a fairy. It's the Johnno Browns of this world that many blokes like to associate themselves with.
Just to clear something up, I don't have one issue with Roo regarding who he is as a person. Life is way to short to judge people on those terms. I judge Roo based on entertainment terms only.
Moods wrote: Not sure why we would drop a player b/c he's not playing as well as he did 3 years ago. You yourself said forget about past form - it's now that counts. Last year he was no where near getting dropped. He finished 8th in our B&F. That's 8th out of 42 players on our list. Not a great return for a bloke on $900k, but certainly not worth dropping him either. As P66 said, if he does get another contract and he's playing at this level, he just gets a much smaller one. I'm sure he will cope.
In a way I am more critical of how an AFL club runs itself as a business. I mean how did we get ourselves into this terrible mess. How did we end up with a team that is fighting to stay under the salary cap and yet it is a team that is not in a position to challenge for a flag anytime soon. So I look at Roo as an individual team member in those terms and I get frustrated. Not only are we not in a postion to challenge for a flag any time soon, we are also not in a postion to quickly assemble a list of players capable of challenging. It's nothing personal when I talk about Roo and where he is at. I'm detached from the personalities of the game. It's about the club and looking at it like it's a business and right at the moment it is interesting watching.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Rooey is still worth far more to the club than just what he does for 100 minutes each week.

He IS the biggest public face our club has known since plugger, but being captain makes him at a much higher level.

It may well be Roo's last year as captain, but we can't just dis value quite yet.

Yep, on field he's prob not worth his salary, but the overal package he is.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Yep, on field he's prob not worth his salary, but the overal package he is.
...just like israel folau.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I honestly didn't think Rooey was that bad on Saturday. He seemed under instruction to push further up the ground which provided opportunities for the guys playing deeper.

Watters seems pretty awake-up to the whole "kick-it-to-Roo" scenario so it will be interesting to see how Riewoldt's role evolves this season.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: In a way I am more critical of how an AFL club runs itself as a business. I mean how did we get ourselves into this terrible mess. How did we end up with a team that is fighting to stay under the salary cap and yet it is a team that is not in a position to challenge for a flag anytime soon. So I look at Roo as an individual team member in those terms and I get frustrated. Not only are we not in a postion to challenge for a flag any time soon, we are also not in a postion to quickly assemble a list of players capable of challenging. It's nothing personal when I talk about Roo and where he is at. I'm detached from the personalities of the game. It's about the club and looking at it like it's a business and right at the moment it is interesting watching.

Fair enough. I can understand that. I agree it is frustrating. It was only 2 years ago where we were up to our eyeballs in the premiership stakes though. If we want to hold onto the decent players, we need to offer them something to make it worth their while to sign on. Doesn't have to be market value, but everyone is looking for security in their job. I'm not as critical with the club about this. Like I said earlier, when Roo signed his 5 year contract for about $900k a year, everyone was celebrating, few were critical. In hindsight it appears obvious that a champion CHF would eventually succumb to some pretty serious injuries. He had been so durable though, not sure many predicted it would happen. I agree that his salary now is excessive - but based on how he was playing at that time, it was about right I reckon.

All this talk (not necessarily by you) of off loading our best players makes no sense to me. I can hardly think of a premiership team that won without a good mix of older and younger players. I firmly believe that if we trade the Roos, the BJ'S etc our young blokes coming through will be on a rudderless ship.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Leo.J wrote:Rooey's knee or knees are gone, and so are we as a result.

I was hopeful, well still hoping this is not the case.

But after sunday I think his time has come.

You're an idiot!

Oh hang on...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:

You're an idiot!

Oh hang on...

Like your honesty. I wish a few others would do the same. Its actually funny reading. Having a thread like this after one game and most people seeing that one game on TV and saying he is slow, cant move, gawn and so on. 2 weeks later and he is back, a star, moving well and so on.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sun 15 Apr 2012 12:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:

You're an idiot!

Oh hang on...

:D

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:

You're an idiot!

Oh hang on...

Like your honesty. I wish a few others would do the same. Its actually funny reading. Having a thread like this after one game and most people seeing that one game on TV and saying he is slow, cant move, gawn and so on. 2 weeks later and he is back, a star, moving well and so on.
I did jump the gun a bit...

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I actually thought he played pretty well rd1.

It was how every time he went to ground he winced in pain while getting up.

Thats what concerned me.

2 weeks later he's moving pretty well.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:I actually thought he played pretty well rd1.

Thats what concerned me.

If you were to look back over the posts for the last couple of weeks I'm sure you'd find you weren't the lone gun jumper Leo :wink:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I'm just happy to see him enjoying his footy again. Once that returns in someone anything can happen.
Got crucified in the marking contests last night though. It seemed like every time the ball was kicked long to a pack that he was in he went flying sideways out of it, with the ball still 5m or so away from the pack. Happened time and again. It seems someone from them was pretty much bumping him out of them, with no attempt to go for the ball themselves and they were continually allowed to get a way with it. Those packs were pretty crowded, so it was hard to see who was doing what, but the one constant was that Nick was coming out of them sideways.

BTW, he's on Eddie McGuire Tonight, at 8.30pm, for those with Foxtel.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Leo.J wrote:I actually thought he played pretty well rd1.

Thats what concerned me.

If you were to look back over the posts for the last couple of weeks I'm sure you'd find you weren't the lone gun jumper Leo :wink:
Thanks Doc.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Got crucified in the marking contests last night though. It seemed like every time the ball was kicked long to a pack that he was in he went flying sideways out of it, with the ball still 5m or so away from the pack. Happened time and again.
nah, i just watched the replay. he missed one obvious free and one semi-obvious one, and apart from that it was all pretty accurate.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:

You're an idiot!
Oh hang on...
There's at least one other that's been on Riewoldt (and Goddard's) back for 2 years - doubt you will see him visit this thread again though....
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 14 May 2013 4:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It was great, he didn't seem so fumbly with his handballs and field work, very clean hands last night.

Always seems to take a couple of games to fine tune, is about due to own a game and vs Freo would be handy. :)

Must be comforting to know that approx 10 other guys are going to help with the scoreboard.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Got crucified in the marking contests last night though. It seemed like every time the ball was kicked long to a pack that he was in he went flying sideways out of it, with the ball still 5m or so away from the pack. Happened time and again.
nah, i just watched the replay. he missed one obvious free and one semi-obvious one, and apart from that it was all pretty accurate.
Well I saw the game with my own eyes from a fantastic vantage point low on level three on the wing and I saw him going out sideways from big packs time after time. I'm not talking about one on one contests, but genuine packs of 4-6. Somehow he was getting bumped out of them just before the ball arrived and it happened numerous times. I'd be very surprised if they were all legal.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Probably in the same place Joey was in last week... :wink:

Griggsy
SS Life Member

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Well I saw the game with my own eyes from a fantastic vantage point low on level three on the wing and I saw him going out sideways from big packs time after time. I'm not talking about one on one contests, but genuine packs of 4-6. Somehow he was getting bumped out of them just before the ball arrived and it happened numerous times. I'd be very surprised if they were all legal.
I'm with you on that, even the fox footy commentary team said he was unlucky to not get "2 or 3 more freekicks" And this was only at HALF time!

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Doesnt clunk the marks as he used to anymore. Which is a shame, because he was a great mark.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely fantastic to see Roo having a crack. Great game and have always loved watching him when he plays well. Let's hope he is on an upward trajectory for the rest of the season.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Doesnt clunk the marks as he used to anymore. Which is a shame, because he was a great mark.
You still haven't got around to teaching him how to kick for goal like you promised…