LYON RECEPTION THIS FRIDAY NIGHT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: LYON RECEPTION THIS FRIDAY NIGHT

clarky449 wrote:Going to be a tough game. Fremantle have got themselves into the best position for the next 5 years. They will become a very good team with a briliant coach. Still hate that he is gone. Because i know the quality we had.

something seriously deranged about u clarky449.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

deleted
Last edited by stinger on Wed 18 Apr 2012 1:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Turbo wrote:Wouldn't waste my breath. Something I would like to see is; leave Stanley, on his own, at full forward to be picked up by Dawson.
now that is something i woulld like to see,,,the former coach is just that ...yesterday's man...not worth the effort to spend another minute talking about him either....no morals, no principles..just self interested....prick actually..

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
stinger wrote:
Turbo wrote:Wouldn't waste my breath. Something I would like to see is; leave Stanley, on his own, at full forward to be picked up by Dawson.
now that is something i woulld like to see,,,the former coach is just that ...yesterday's man...not worth the effort to spend another minute talking about him either....no morals, no principles..just self interested....prick actually..
If you lose much of your net worth through failed investments and are offered a higher-paying position that also (in your eyes alone) is best for your career would you not take it?

Unfortunately you are beating the drum of the cranky supporter however I know I would have jumped if given the same set of circumstances both privately and professionally.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Unfortunately you are beating the drum of the cranky supporter however I know I would have jumped if given the same set of circumstances both privately and professionally.
I know that this has been done to death but I think what most people are annoyed at is the way he went about it.
If you believe the stories he informed his own and St Kilda's management at lunchtime to tell to go ahead and organise the press conference for the next day as he had agreed to the terms of the offered contract...Only to turn around hours later and be on a flight to Perth to sign the deal with Fremantle.
If Ross was still considering offers then he should have had the professional courtesy to be up front with all suitors about his situation.
St Kilda should have known that he was looking at other opportunities (they may have suspected that Melbourne was one of them)...But I bet they didn't see Fremantle coming (pretty sure Mark Harvey didn't either).
Integrity, like manners, is free and goes a long way.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I hope we don't use up any of our precious energy booing Ross or Zac. They're gone and they have to live with their choices. We look to be OK, so if they don't want to be a part of it that's perfectly fine with me.
I reckon we'd be better off using that potential booing energy to give those in red white and black our support and encouragement, to help them show Ross and Zac what they're missing out on. I'm not sure booing would help with any of that.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:Unfortunately you are beating the drum of the cranky supporter however I know I would have jumped if given the same set of circumstances both privately and professionally.
I know that this has been done to death but I think what most people are annoyed at is the way he went about it.
If you believe the stories he informed his own and St Kilda's management at lunchtime to tell to go ahead and organise the press conference for the next day as he had agreed to the terms of the offered contract...Only to turn around hours later and be on a flight to Perth to sign the deal with Fremantle.
If Ross was still considering offers then he should have had the professional courtesy to be up front with all suitors about his situation.
St Kilda should have known that he was looking at other opportunities (they may have suspected that Melbourne was one of them)...But I bet they didn't see Fremantle coming (pretty sure Mark Harvey didn't either).
Integrity, like manners, is free and goes a long way.
Wow.

He should be shot for that... he reportedly texted yes after being screwed around and was then offered and accepted a much better deal in order to secure the future of his family.

Texting 'yes' should trump any consideration for the future security of your family.

Also he didn't flog the kids who now seem to be flourishing (apart from that irish backpacker, how many games has he played for sydney?) or give luke ball another few minutes in the geelong gf (which made him cry and leave, for both less and more money, apparently).

We now look like we're in pretty good shape, and bar for the bounce of the f*kn ball in two gf's we could've been back to back premiers... which in both years is as close as we've been, apart from '66.

I'll never forgive him.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

In 50 years of watching the Saints, I can't remember ever booing an opposition player or coach, but I might have done when I was twelve.

I can remember a match at Moorabbin in 1965 when we were playing North and Alan Killigrew was coaching them. He had coached us in 1956-58. In 1965, there was no quarter time address by the coaches, players just changed ends and got on with it. But there was a three quarter time huddle. After the huddles broke, and the players were going back to their positions, and the coaches were leaving the ground, Alan Killigrew was walking towards the boundary. As one, the fans in the Saints stand rose and gave him a standing ovation. Most knew that he had laid the groundwork for the Allan Jeans era.

If the chance arises, at around the same time, we should do the same for Ross. His win/loss ratio at the Saints is the highest ever for the Saints, and one of the highest ever in VFL/AFL history. No-one expected that in 2007. Alas, it was the jinx that has haunted us since Sunday 25th September 1966 that robbed us of one and possibly two flags. He did everything anyone could have done to overcome it. A round of applause would be an appropriate response.

KingSaint
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:In 50 years of watching the Saints, I can't remember ever booing an opposition player or coach, but I might have done when I was twelve.

I can remember a match at Moorabbin in 1965 when we were playing North and Alan Killigrew was coaching them. He had coached us in 1956-58. In 1965, there was no quarter time address by the coaches, players just changed ends and got on with it. But there was a three quarter time huddle. After the huddles broke, and the players were going back to their positions, and the coaches were leaving the ground, Alan Killigrew was walking towards the boundary. As one, the fans in the Saints stand rose and gave him a standing ovation. Most knew that he had laid the groundwork for the Allan Jeans era.

If the chance arises, at around the same time, we should do the same for Ross. His win/loss ratio at the Saints is the highest ever for the Saints, and one of the highest ever in VFL/AFL history. No-one expected that in 2007. Alas, it was the jinx that has haunted us since Sunday 25th September 1966 that robbed us of one and possibly two flags. He did everything anyone could have done to overcome it. A round of applause would be an appropriate response.
Well said. I don't have a problem with Ross leaving...although he clearly could have handled the situation better.

However, IMO this does not diminish what he was able to achieve at St Kilda and I think he deserves some respect for that.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Wow.

He should be shot for that... he reportedly texted yes after being screwed around and was then offered and accepted a much better deal in order to secure the future of his family.

Texting 'yes' should trump any consideration for the future security of your family.
My point is that he should have been up front with both his management and his employers. Don't accept an offer you're not going to take. It benefits nobody. Escpecially when an announcement would have gone out to the media telling them of a press conference at Seaford the next day. He made his former employer look foolish...and that is something any professional should never do.
I am not sure how he was screwed around as he (through his management) asked for contract negotiations to be put on around a third of the way into the season.

Anyway, he left for the right reasons for him and his family but went about it in a manner that lacked integrity (IMHO).

markp
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
markp wrote:Wow.

My point is that he should have been up front with both his management and his employers. Don't accept an offer you're not going to take. It benefits nobody. Escpecially when an announcement would have gone out to the media telling them of a press conference at Seaford the next day. He made his former employer look foolish...and that is something any professional should never do.
I am not sure how he was screwed around as he (through his management) asked for contract negotiations to be put on around a third of the way into the season.

Anyway, he left for the right reasons for him and his family but went about it in a manner that lacked integrity (IMHO).
See the post above yours.

Ideally it wouldn't have been as messy, but it was obviously all a last minute deal and certain parties (ie his management and their useless coach) complicated matters.

Big woop.

No one here really has enough of the details to fairly cast aspersions on his integrity in these dealings, and it probably says more about them if they think they do based merely on rumour, guesswork and assumption.

But I'll bet many of those very same folk would've been cheering for joy if we'd gotten Malthouse as coach, a proven barefaced liar, slanderer and certifiable a-hole.

paulski
Club Player

I'll be booing Lyon. Actually, I can't wait for Friday night!

He knows how passionate our supporters are. He'll be expecting it.

What's wrong with having a little fun at the footy and booing once in a while?
Saints supporters have lacked a bit of passion since we moved from Moorabbin.
Think it will be nice seeing some passion at the footy for once, as long as no one
goes overboard.

Liked him as our coach, but lost respect in how he handled his exit.
Basically, he dumped us! Would you praise an ex if they dumped you?

Also can't wait for Dawson's stuff ups. He's been painful for us over the years.

CARNA SAINTS!!!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Seems like the only people who have let go of this are the St.Kilda board (did so the day after Lyon left) and Lyon himself.

Both parties have moved and seems like there is no bad blood (may be between individuals, but not on the whole).

I certainly have moved on. I am more interested in the present coach in Scotty Watters and the new young players coming through in Stanley, Sipposs, Newnes, Cripps, Simpkin, the old stayers in Rooey, and Joey, bj, Fish and Dal (all in pretty good form) and the new exciting game plan.

Look forward not back.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Seems like the only people who have let go of this are the St.Kilda board (did so the day after Lyon left) and Lyon himself.

Both parties have moved and seems like there is no bad blood (may be between individuals, but not on the whole).

I certainly have moved on. I am more interested in the present coach in Scotty Watters and the new young players coming through in Stanley, Sipposs, Newnes, Cripps, Simpkin, the old stayers in Rooey, and Joey, bj, Fish and Dal (all in pretty good form) and the new exciting game plan.

Look forward not back.
Agree joffa.

I've got no desire to boo the bloke.

Having said that, I can't guarantee a little boo won't sneak out at some stage. And if it does you can blame the overwhelming passion that aborbs you at an AFL game.

But more to the point, if that little boo does come out, you can probably blame CUB. :P

markp
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:But more to the point, if that little boo does come out, you can probably blame CUB. :P
Or boourbon and coke.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I still want to know what boo is. Do people actually go booooooooooooo, booooooooooooooo?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I still want to know what boo is. Do people actually go booooooooooooo, booooooooooooooo?
CUB?

Bourbon & Coke?

Surely the plural is booze :lol:

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

I "invest" we win by five goals.

Seriously,... boo, yell, scream, fart....hell, even quote Shakespeare if you want.
All part of the fun.

ho ho ho

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I still want to know what boo is. Do people actually go booooooooooooo, booooooooooooooo?
I think it is the sound of what the supporters gave Gary Ablett for some strange reason.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Just yell "Demetriou" at any afl game. You'll receive a detailed tutorial free of charge.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Just heard Ross talking about the sants players as an opposition coach. It spun me out! It was so wierd when he said
Do we double team reiwoldt? Do we tag Dal Santo? How do we stop Fisher? Just seemed strange hearing him say it!
Makes me miss him as coach in some bizzaro world sort of way!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The real debate should be;

ROSS LYON the COACH v ROSS LYON the MAN

We shouldn't let his coaching ability cover up what what are some very large cracks in his character !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:The real debate should be;

We shouldn't let his coaching ability cover up what what are some very large cracks in his character !!

Very true, Eastern. But let's not forget that our real business this friday is with RL the coach, not RL the arsehole! :P

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Eastern wrote:The real debate should be;

Very true, Eastern. But let's not forget that our real business this friday is with RL the coach, not RL the arsehole! :P
Articulated brilliantly !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Like most on here, I am over it, I don't intend too boo either RL or Zac.
However, that doesn't mean I will not still enjoy beating the crap out of their new club and instead of grimacing when Zac makes a mistake, but applauding his error that gave us another goal.
I'm interested in winning, and a win on Friday night will be just a little bit more satisfying than the last two weeks, but not as satisfying as beating Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast, Carlscum and of course at number one the filth.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.