Spencer White

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Spencer White

I wanted Ashby- he will be a good player in the same vein as Darren Milburn as a ball winning rebound defender/ midfielder. Ollie Wines and Jack Viney grew up playing together and both got drafted in the 2012 draft and Ashby and White did too. Pretty coincidental.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:I don't agree that he was picked on his "unique physical attributes" alone.
If White didn't have a big frame, giant hands and a freakish leap, I doubt he gets drafted at all. Kicking 36 goals in 16 games at TAC level is hardly remarkable. He wasn't a big possession winner either. If we were looking for footballers, there were better ones on the board at 25.

If Ben Mc Evoy was a midget he wouldn't get a game.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Dave McNamara wrote: Thanks for that detailed assessment APS. :)
You're welcome and I don't want to pump him up too much, as there is a LOT of water to go under the bridge before he even steps out in an AFL game, but he does have a lot of the tools to be genuinely outstanding at the level. I just wanted to give an indication of his attributes and what sort of role he is likely to play at AFL level and the style of footy he plays. He does have some close similarities to both Buddy and G, but his huge leap (only 2cm off Natanui's record in the running jump) and strong overhead marking also makes him different again.

I'm also encouraged by reading about his private training with Ashby and it has also been reported that he did a lot of one on one training at the Jets this year, to work on the stuff that he needed to work on and that that also played a big part in him turning his season around, on top of what they found out about his asthma.

From what I've read he was simply trying to do too much early in the year in games and they did a lot of work on him just doing more of the simple things and not trying to do the "impossible" every time he got the footy. Apparently he had to complete those sessions before he was allowed to join the rest of the group for training, so it is very encouraging that he is willing and able to work on the things he needs to work on. By all reports he is of good character, too (which seems to be a prerequisite for everyone we draft now), which also comes across in that video interview I posted above.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I just like that we are favouring X factor players instead of dour, solid, trudging money ball types. Seany d has been liberated from the shackles of depressing negative footy and goes AA. We get guys like Saad and Milera who look like party trick maestros with a ball in their hand and go after guys like Lee who took control in GFs and kicked goals. I'm going to get excited even if he amounts to nothing. we didn't even need Tommy Walsh to be any good to nearly explode. This guy can actually play and we are trying to tone it all down.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:If White didn't have a big frame, giant hands and a freakish leap, I doubt he gets drafted at all.
No s.hit Sherlock :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

It's certainly looking like we're going to have one hell of an exciting and fast forward line in years to come!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I just like that we are favouring X factor players instead of dour, solid, trudging money ball types. Seany d has been liberated from the shackles of depressing negative footy and goes AA. We get guys like Saad and Milera who look like party trick maestros with a ball in their hand and go after guys like Lee who took control in GFs and kicked goals. I'm going to get excited even if he amounts to nothing. we didn't even need Tommy Walsh to be any good to nearly explode. This guy can actually play and we are trying to tone it all down.

Good points there gringo.

People are asking where our next Reiwoldt "superstar" is coming from.

Well we dont get No1 DP's at the moment so it wont be from there. So we need to take a chance and look at Spencer White types and canny recruiting.

Not putting too much expectation on White, but this is what is required to get our top shelf type players

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Exactly. High risk high reward. We aren't going to get back up the ladder without bottoming out unless we're prepared to take a couple of gambles.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Don't know too much about White as a player but I don't like too much about what I've heard of his off field efforts.

I think it's fair to say that the story about change of medication is "creative" at best.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Don't know too much about White as a player but I don't like too much about what I've heard of his off field efforts.

I think it's fair to say that the story about change of medication is "creative" at best.
Well hi there...

Wish you were popping in with some good news though. :?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:Don't know too much about White as a player but I don't like too much about what I've heard of his off field efforts.
Since he got to the club, or prior to?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I was very close to a Saints player and there was rumours that this certain player smoke the wacky weed. I couldnt have been much closer and never saw any signs of it. I reckon any rumours like this should be taken as that and are just rumours. I dont anyone on here would have first hand knowledge of any of this and as such are probably second or third hand rumours and not worth worrying about.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I was very close to a Saints player and there was rumours that this certain player smoke the wacky weed. I couldnt have been much closer and never saw any signs of it. I reckon any rumours like this should be taken as that and are just rumours. I dont anyone on here would have first hand knowledge of any of this and as such are probably second or third hand rumours and not worth worrying about.
+1

slider
Club Player

Yes you know nothing about White the player or person except for some unsubstantiated dribble about him when he was younger.

Never made a mistake? i did when i was young, cost me alot more than a crack at footy.

Kretiuk gave him a huge boot up the arse and got him firing season 2012, he has been hard at it since very early in the 2012 season taking on extra workload, then proved himself in the second half of the season that his hard work and dedication has paid off, he killed it at the combine as well.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:

Yes you know nothing about White the player or person except for some unsubstantiated dribble about him when he was younger.

Never made a mistake? i did when i was young, cost me alot more than a crack at footy.

Kretiuk gave him a huge boot up the arse and got him firing season 2012, he has been hard at it since very early in the 2012 season taking on extra workload, then proved himself in the second half of the season that his hard work and dedication has paid off, he killed it at the combine as well.
Good then we should see his endurance improve markedly then

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:

Certainly not saying that I'm best mates with the guy, especially because he's a few years younger, but we have been involved in the same circles.

The only issue that I'm taking off second/third hand stories are those about his lack of work rate.

There are other issues which I've been concerned about while in his presence (at the time I wasn't aware he was likely to be AFL quality), the positive thing from me is that apparently he seems to have taken his opportunity and realises the sacrifices that need to be made.

He is a player that needs to be kept on top of, as I said I don't know too much about him as a player so I wouldn't have a clue if he'll make it or not, I just found it odd that every club passed on Garlett for off field issues, yet there were several players drafted who had at least comparable track records.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Well, the club apparently interviewed him at least 3-4 times, so I imagine they are satisfied that he is of good character (which seems to be very much a prerequisite for anyone we draft now) and I've been told as much myself and he comes across well in the video interview on the Saints website, so hopefully any major issues are behind him, particularly if he had anything significant that perhaps triggered them, for instance.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:... so hopefully any major issues are behind him, particularly if he had anything significant that perhaps triggered them, for instance.
Something like this could 'trigger' most 13/14 year olds... :(
In contrast with the excitement surrounding his football potential, White's story is also one of sadness.

His father Kerry Crouch - a good local footballer who also represented Victoria in hockey - died suddenly just four years ago.

"Dad had a real impact on my life and my football," he said. "It would be great to [get drafted] for him. It's not my only motivation, but it's a big driving factor."

An only child, the then 14-year-old White and his mother Debra moved from Melbourne's northern-eastern suburbs to Williamstown in the west for a fresh start.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticl ... fault.aspx

...then throw into that mix the kid (unknowingly) trying to run around on only 60% lung capacity.

Whatever he may or may not have done wrong, for mine the guy has earnt the right to be cut a bit of slack. And it's actually looking like Spence has worked /is working really hard to get his act back together. That only bodes well for his future in the AFL, or real estate, or both... :idea:

Go Spence!!! :)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:... so hopefully any major issues are behind him, particularly if he had anything significant that perhaps triggered them, for instance.
In contrast with the excitement surrounding his football potential, White's story is also one of sadness.

His father Kerry Crouch - a good local footballer who also represented Victoria in hockey - died suddenly just four years ago.

"Dad had a real impact on my life and my football," he said. "It would be great to [get drafted] for him. It's not my only motivation, but it's a big driving factor."

An only child, the then 14-year-old White and his mother Debra moved from Melbourne's northern-eastern suburbs to Williamstown in the west for a fresh start.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticl ... fault.aspx

...then throw into that mix the kid (unknowingly) trying to run around on only 60% lung capacity.

Whatever he may or may not have done wrong, for mine the guy has earnt the right to be cut a bit of slack. And it's actually looking like Spence has worked /is working really hard to get his act back together. That only bodes well for his future in the AFL, or real estate, or both... :idea:

Go Spence!!! :)

credit where credit is due....damn good post dave....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Dave McNamara wrote:
Indeed. I wasn't sure that that was public knowledge, but yes, that is what I was basically referring to.

Richter
SS Life Member

Sounds like the lad has had a number of challenges to face in his meagre 18 years and shown a fair bit of resolve in facing up to them. Impressive.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Sounds like the lad has had a number of challenges to face in his meagre 18 years and shown a fair bit of resolve in facing up to them. Impressive.

i agree and besmirching him and his character with veiled innuendo is very poor form..imhfo....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

just watched the you tube vid
i like what i saw at the end of it
some big marks and has a very relaxed action on the left when kicking for goal

gee, hopefully he turns into something special for us in the next two or so years 8-)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Get in support the kid!
Im stoked we have him!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:just watched the you tube vid
i like what i saw at the end of it
some big marks and has a very relaxed action on the left when kicking for goal

gee, hopefully he turns into something special for us in the next two or so years 8-)
Yeah, apparently that video doesn't really do justice to his high marking capabilities. That big one in the goalsquare near the end is apparently one of several like that he took this year. It seems he is more renowned by those who have seen him play full games for his strong and at times spectacular overhead marking, rather than his Buddy-style runs, which are more prevalent in the video. The fact he can do both, as well as get good separation on the lead, augurs very well for his prospects, though.

As for his run-up when kicking for goal, it is one of the most relaxed and rhythmical that I've seen, so that will hopefully hold him in good stead going forward.

I'm loving that most of those we've gotten for our forward line in the past couple of years seem to be so accurate when shooting for goal. :D
White, Lee, Siposs, Saad, TDL in particular all look to be exceptionally accurate, generally. Milera and Wilkes also look to be above average at least in that area.