Eight years of pain coming ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ljpoyz
Club Player

Re: Eight years of pain coming ...

Probably not required, a lot of people agree with what he/she wrote.
SaintPav wrote:
citywest wrote:I just thought it would be interesting to bump my post below. I copped a lot of flak over it but what does everyone think now. Not to far off the mark hey??
citywest wrote:To a certain extent, I agree with Wallet. If you include 2012 it will be 8 years before we play finals again. This is not doom and gloom, it is reality. If you include 2003 and 2012, we had 10 years as a top team. That's 10 years. :shock: We may not have won a flag but can you tell me how many other teams have been good for that long? And don't include Geelong and Sydney. At least the Father son pick has been fixed now and hopefully the 10% cost of living allowance may soon be scrapped.

In my opinion, we haven't bottomed out yet. 2014 will be the year we 'Win' wooden spoon number 27. I hope that's the only one we win because worst case scenario, we may get 3 in a row (2104, 2015 and 2016). I doubt it though. The earliest we could be back playing finals would be 2018. Before Joffa and everyone else calls me a TROLL, the above scenario is just a repeat of 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002. 2003 is when we were the up and coming glamour team. I'm predicting that this time around it will be 2019 with us playing Grand Finals again no earlier 2022.

Maybe with Free Agency we could be back earlier but I would rather stay away from that and just keep picking the best available young talent through the National Draft. FFS, do not trade away early picks anymore. We had 2 high picks last year and we traded both for Lee and Hickey. They may turn out to be champs but I would have rather they picked the best 2 youngsters and go from there. Oh well.
By the way, give us all a break and

f*ck

off

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I agree with what St.Pav said.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Kernal75
Club Player

The Road to 2018

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

8 Years is an idiotic statement. Who can see 8 years ahead?

Its plain stupid. I reckon you cant look more than 3 years ahead.

OK we are going to be bottom 6 for the next 3 years (2014, 15, 16) But after that anything could happen.
What we need to do is recruit and develop smart in the next 3 years. No dumb decisions.

Looking out beyond that is plain silly.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:8 Years is an idiotic statement. Who can see 8 years ahead?

OK we are going to be bottom 6 for the next 3 years (2014, 15, 16) But after that anything could happen.
What we need to do is recruit and develop smart in the next 3 years. No dumb decisions.

Con, sometimes you go early but this time you're spot on. One of our banned ones would be proud of you :wink:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:8 Years is an idiotic statement. Who can see 8 years ahead?

I'd settle for bottom 6 in the next 3 years - but I think it's going to be more like bottom 3. I think next year is when we bottom out.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
sainter27
Club Player

I must say, all these predictions about years so far down the track until we are in a position
to challenge baffle me. We ha already seen the expected (Hawthorn), and the unexpected
(Essendon) We have looked good and awful, but the predictions of sustained doom until
2017-18-20 is very overstated. I acknowledge that will will lose an elite player and skipper
and 3-4 v-good footballers in the next 2 years, but the buy-in with a structure and the
building of talent can occur much quicker than I think many supporters may think. I get a
touch annoyed that media types and some fans think it will take 8 years (Terry Wallace).
I am more realistically demanding than that, and I think we all should be, we are an AFL club.
We need to be understanding, but also demanding about the non-negotiables' that should
be demanded throughout the predicted 'ordinary years' coming up. We cannot turn into
Melbourne, excepting mediocrity for excuses or draft picks. That is the road to utter
irrelevance. We clearly are re-building so during this period especially we cannot at
any point be complacent or accepting.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

CityWest bumps one of his posts from a thread which is almost a year old that still has no validity whatsoever. But hey, as long the mods reckon he's a worthy contributor to the forum, I won't be arguing.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:CityWest bumps one of his posts from a thread which is almost a year old that still has no validity whatsoever. But hey, as long the mods reckon he's a worthy contributor to the forum, I won't be arguing.
We will win our 27th wooden spoon but of course that's not baiting.

Hilarious.

Morons.

Oops. warning?

Dunno.

Could go either way.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I actually thought the thread title was the penalty that Essendon was about to receive for their drug cheating program. I guess I was hoping that ASADA had actually done something.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I actually thought the thread title was the penalty that Essendon was about to receive for their drug cheating program. I guess I was hoping that ASADA had actually done something.
Now THAT would be a thread worth bumping.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
citywest

magnifisaint wrote:
citywest wrote:I just thought it would be interesting to bump my post below. I copped a lot of flak over it but what does everyone think now. Not to far off the mark hey??
citywest wrote:To a certain extent, I agree with Wallet. If you include 2012 it will be 8 years before we play finals again. This is not doom and gloom, it is reality. If you include 2003 and 2012, we had 10 years as a top team. That's 10 years. :shock: We may not have won a flag but can you tell me how many other teams have been good for that long? And don't include Geelong and Sydney. At least the Father son pick has been fixed now and hopefully the 10% cost of living allowance may soon be scrapped.

In my opinion, we haven't bottomed out yet. 2014 will be the year we 'Win' wooden spoon number 27. I hope that's the only one we win because worst case scenario, we may get 3 in a row (2104, 2015 and 2016). I doubt it though. The earliest we could be back playing finals would be 2018. Before Joffa and everyone else calls me a TROLL, the above scenario is just a repeat of 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002. 2003 is when we were the up and coming glamour team. I'm predicting that this time around it will be 2019 with us playing Grand Finals again no earlier 2022.

Maybe with Free Agency we could be back earlier but I would rather stay away from that and just keep picking the best available young talent through the National Draft. FFS, do not trade away early picks anymore. We had 2 high picks last year and we traded both for Lee and Hickey. They may turn out to be champs but I would have rather they picked the best 2 youngsters and go from there. Oh well.
I'll take that if it means we win a couple of premierships!
Do you think we can win a couple of premierships?
We've been waiting 50 years since our last win, another 8 isn't going to matter as long as we start a dynasty.
I want your opinion.
I see no reason why we can't win a couple of flags in the 2020's. The next 4 years at the draft and the trade table will decide it though IMHO. Personally I like what Pelchen has started, although losses like last weekend do shake your belief systems a little. At the end of this season I would hope that we again trade an aging player with currency (Montagna) for a pick in the top 20, or even for pick 25 at worst. Assuming we finish 16th, that would give us picks (roughly), 3, 21, 25, 39. With these picks though we need to use them on the best available kids in the draft.

I think and hope our timing will be just right as to when we will be challenging again. I feel sorry for the teams that will be challenging from 2016 and onwards. They will be up against 2 super forces the league has never seen before...ie GCS and GWS. Thankfully by the time the Saints challenge again the Suns and the Giants may not be as dominant as they were. I reckon they will still be top teams still capable of winning flags but after both of them dominating the comp from 2016 until 2022 they may not have the hunger anymore. Time will tell. :(

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:CityWest bumps one of his posts from a thread which is almost a year old that still has no validity whatsoever. But hey, as long the mods reckon he's a worthy contributor to the forum, I won't be arguing.
BFUSA has been posting readerhsip and login stats recently so maybe we will be able to have a look at what the stats say (in the not too distant future) about the new direction SS is being taken.

It's a shame we've never been given stats from the past to compare to the ones BFUSA has been posting recently, it really would be a much more objective look at what the state of play is.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I actually thought the thread title was the penalty that Essendon was about to receive for their drug cheating program. I guess I was hoping that ASADA had actually done something.
(I know I go earlier than John Kerr) but I thought the thread heading was someone announcing their wedding :shock:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
BFUSA has been posting readerhsip and login stats recently so maybe we will be able to have a look at what the stats say (in the not too distant future) about the new direction SS is being taken.

It's a shame we've never been given stats from the past to compare to the ones BFUSA has been posting recently, it really would be a much more objective look at what the state of play is.
A 145 point loss is the main reason posting is high at the moment. Probably got little to do with anything else.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
We will win our 27th wooden spoon but of course that's not baiting.

Hilarious.

Morons.

Oops. warning?

Dunno.

Could go either way.
well said (am I allowed to agree with a thread that's aaying negative things about a poster? *confused*)

PJ
SS Life Member

Just bomb for 2 years on the bottom of the ladder and hey presto 2 number 1 draft picks. That's how we did it last time.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I agree with what St.Pav said.
So do I.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!