McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SMS
Club Player

Re: McCartin

Where would hawks be without Roughead?
Roughead is the MVP player of the AFL.
This decision to get McCartin is whats best for us. StKilda. We need a Roughead, not another billings/Dunstan combo. Granted Petracca looks fantastic and will no doubt be a gun. BUT McCartin loves footy more than anyone.

Small Forwards: Billings and Templeton. Great pick ups last year. Already know these two will be guns for the decade
Tall Forwards? Spencer White? Tom Lee? Mssive question marks. Membrey is a medium Tall.

Imagine we have a Roughead clone in 5 years?? cause that's what McCartin looks likely to be.
Next year we should use pick 1 again for a tall. Im on board now. Can you see it? GO SAINTS!

I was worried about his diebeties affecting him but as I understand, its better managed these days and he is of an amazing character.

Picks 21 and 22 we should be able to get great talented MIDS in. Hopefully D McKenzie and Miller or another speedster.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Where would hawks be without Roughead?
Roughead is the MVP player of the AFL.
This decision to get McCartin is whats best for us. StKilda. We need a Roughead, not another billings/Dunstan combo. Granted Petracca looks fantastic and will no doubt be a gun. BUT McCartin loves footy more than anyone.

Small Forwards: Billings and Templeton. Great pick ups last year. Already know these two will be guns for the decade
Tall Forwards? Spencer White? Tom Lee? Mssive question marks. Membrey is a medium Tall.

Imagine we have a Roughead clone in 5 years?? cause that's what McCartin looks likely to be.
Next year we should use pick 1 again for a tall. Im on board now. Can you see it? GO SAINTS!

I was worried about his diebeties affecting him but as I understand, its better managed these days and he is of an amazing character.

Picks 21 and 22 we should be able to get great talented MIDS in. Hopefully D McKenzie and Miller or another speedster.

This is your post 2 days ago.

No.
What testing? this is BS.

Petracca is an elite athlete. He marks, handballs better than any and has GOAL SENSE!

IF we choose Paddy, A DIEBETIC, whos highlights were just a lead up forward ILL GO BANANAS!

Reece McKenzie is every bit as good bar endurance.
We can get him at 22.

Seriously what the hell? We will be the laughing stock of the AFL.

Talk about emotive crap but I do remember a few of your posts last year when we were getting smashed by another side.

amusingname
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
takeaway wrote:Would be happy with either Petracca or McCartin. Line Ball. McCartin has probably spent more time as touted No.1 than Petracca - injuries slowed McCartin this year. He is streets ahead of any other potential KPF in this draft - a standout, as is Petracca, with Brayshaw just behind them.

On balance, bearing in mind the next couple of drafts are strong on mids, and they are easier to draft than a good KPF, I favour McCartin. We have inside mids in Dunstan, Armitage, Ross, will be around the bottom anyway next year, so develop a few mids this year, Newnes, Webster, Billings. Acres, load further mids in the next couple of drafts, & let Roo show McCartin the ropes. Makes sense to me.
Put Petracca in the forward 50 and he kicks more goals than McCartin. In the TAC Cup Petracca kicked 41 goals last year playing as a medium tall in the same forward line as Tom Boyd. In one game last year (a final) he took 9 contested marks and kicked 5 goals. Then this year as a midfielder kicked 20 goals from 9 games. In one game had 32 touches and kicked 5 goals playing through the middle. The days of stay at home full forwards are gone.
Totally agree I just cant see how Petracca is not a better option than a stay at home forward who is a slower version of Jason Heatley.
Slower version of Heatley? That is a ridiculous call!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

McCartin is actually very quick off the mark. He runs a sub 3sec 20m.

spert
Saintsational Legend

It's all hit and miss- no saying any of the highest picks will do any good at senior AFL level. Pick 22 could be a bigger match winner than pick 1. A bit if luck goes a long way, and it's more about team than a couple of players.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:McCartin is actually very quick off the mark. He runs a sub 3sec 20m.
He didnt participate at the combine where do you get that from? All his supposed highlights he doesnt look quick at all, just reads the play better...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
Old Mate wrote:McCartin is actually very quick off the mark. He runs a sub 3sec 20m.
He didnt participate at the combine where do you get that from? All his supposed highlights he doesnt look quick at all, just reads the play better...
AIS.

He ran a 2.58 over 20m.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:

Sounds good then.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I think we would all feel a lot better about McCartin if there was some footage of him actually dominating a game? I said it before and got criticised but to me he looks identical to Heatley in that lead up (only) style full forward.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
falka
Club Player

He is yet to run under 3 secs. 2.58 would be an afl record by .2 of second.

Old Mate wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:
AIS.

He ran a 2.58 over 20m.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:I think we would all feel a lot better about McCartin if there was some footage of him actually dominating a game? I said it before and got criticised but to me he looks identical to Heatley in that lead up (only) style full forward.

So you think every single recruiter and scout in the AFL has got him wrong?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:He is yet to run under 3 secs. 2.58 would be an afl record by .2 of second.

Old Mate wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:
AIS.

He ran a 2.58 over 20m.

Sorry 2.98. And he has ran a sub 3s at AIS testing

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Mccartin just spoke on 3AW. Looks like he's no. 1.

He said his tank is his biggest weakness, atm - his competitiveness his strength.
His diabetes, he said, was 2nd nature to him now - it is a bit of a hurdle, but feels it's not holding him back.

He speaks very well - sounds like a good pick. Mature and responsible.

We've gone for a stand-out leader rather than the stand-out player, Petracca, according to Gerard Healey.

Our CEO just spoke too - and the only thing he said was that the decision has been made, but didn't say who we're going for - but it sounds very much like it's McCartin.

Go Saints.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 25 Nov 2014 6:38pm, edited 3 times in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:I think we would all feel a lot better about McCartin if there was some footage of him actually dominating a game? I said it before and got criticised but to me he looks identical to Heatley in that lead up (only) style full forward.
i know that this is a big call...but his lesding reminds me of plugger actually....not heaters...anyway...heaters was a better kick than this boy..

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Yes, it does sound like McCartin. Very strange that we've backflipped.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Bugger!
Spooked by the Tom Boyd deal....we'll regret it. Paul Roos spotted buying a tattslotto ticket!

Nee!
citywest

LTN16 wrote:
FQF wrote:Looks like we're taking him. Very surprised.
Is that you citywest? :lol:
No it's not me. I originally was going to stay away from this site for a few months however I had to come back a few days ago and stated that my impression is that we are going to take Paddy. Now I come home today and see all this.

Razor
Club Player

Mccartin will be a bust. His highlights are laughable. All he does is run 20m leads in straight lines. There is nothing impressive about him at all.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I reckon afl.com.au is trying to get unail 3 of ourlick on their website/create interest/get more hits on thurs.
I reckon its all BS.

Richo said we were taking McCartin. It has to be true, Con.
Can you provide link or direct quote?

Big news if true.

ive said throughout this whole process im backing elshaugh and that we need to nail at least 2 of our 4 picks so im not hung up on pick 1. But a key fwd is always high risk/high reward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Razor wrote:Mccartin will be a bust. His highlights are laughable. All he does is run 20m leads in straight lines. There is nothing impressive about him at all.

Again I will say it. It seems you and some others know more than every recruiter and talent spotter in the AFL. Have you actually seen him play live?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Yes, it does sound like McCartin. Very strange that we've backflipped.
When did we say we were taking Petracca, or McCartin for that matter?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Forget the tractor.

Here comes the horse & cartin :D
Last edited by Dr Spaceman on Wed 26 Nov 2014 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.

crippsy
Club Player

If this was the 2000 draft would we still be saying mids, mids and more mids??

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Does McCartin have any more growing to do??

He is currently listed as being 193/194cm - is it possible that he may grow another 3 cm??

Listed below are some forwards currently playing (with Height)

Kurt Tippet - 203cm
Joe Daniher - 201cm
Tom Lynch - 199cm (GC)
Justin Westhoff - 199cm
Tom Hawkins - 197cm
Drew Petrie - 197cm
Buddy Franklin - 196cm
Travis Cloke - 196cm
Josh Kennedy - 196cm
Jack Riewoldt - 195cm
Jesse Hogan - 195cm
Taylor Walker - 194cm
Jarred Waite - 194cm
Nick Riewoldt - 193cm
Jay Schulz - 193cm
Jarryd Roughead - 193cm
Jack Gunston - 193cm
Matthew Pavlich - 192cm
Jack Darling - 191cm

and now a list of legendary retired forwards

Larry Donahue - 196cm
Jonathan Brown - 195cm
Fraser Gehrig - 195cm
Simon Beasley - 195cm
Barry Hall - 194cm
Stewie Loewe - 194cm
John Longmire - 194cm
Scott Cummings - 194cm
Bernie Quinlan - 193cm
Michael Roach - 193cm
David Nietz - 193cm
Wayne Carey - 192cm
Matthew Lloyd - 192cm
Mark "Jacko" Jackson - 192cm
Tony Lockett - 191cm
Brendan Fevola - 191cm
Brian Taylor - 191cm
Kelvin Templeton - 191cm
Peter McKenna - 191cm
Peter Husdon - 189cm
Tony Modra - 188cm
Jason Dunstall - 188cm
Doug Wade - 188cm
Gary Ablett Snr - 185cm (Freak)

As you can see McCartin would sit somewhere in the middle in terms of height - so he is already an impressive size (a beast) for an 18 year old

In TAC Cup 2013 (as an underager)

- he kicked 21.14 from 8 games (incl. a bag of 7 goals)
- he took 68 marks (avg - 8.5 per game) of which 19 were contested (avg - 2.4 per game)

In 2014

- he kicked 20.14 from 5 games (incl. a bag of 6)
- he took 40 marks (avg - 8 per game) of which 15 were contested (avg - 3 per game)

With the right development and few a cms this kid could be .............. I will let you decide :wink: :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
crippsy
Club Player

Who is going to "kick it to mccartin"? Who is petracca going to kick it to? Same einstein logic applies