HARLEY BENNELL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: HARLEY BENNELL

How about Bennell and O"Meara. Would be a sensational get.--

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:How about Bennell and O"Meara. Would be a sensational get.--
Would be nice to get one of them.
We need a big fish. Limping along on draft picks alone isn't going to get us up the ladder.

evo
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
We need a big fish. Limping along on draft picks alone isn't going to get us up the ladder.

In a weak draft this year it makes sense to use our first two dp's on trades for some top end players. If we are to lure any FA's in 2017 we need to be seen as a team on the way up, not floundering around accumulating dp's.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Can't vouch for this at all dragit but I think someone in Bennell family took him in, some issue when an infant with one of his parents. Whether he just took on their name or was adopted I'm not certain. I have a vague recollection it was something like this. Anyway he had the influences to a truly amazing grandma, whether she was a blood relilie or not. Wonderful woman.
cheers loris

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Boring if he goes to the Hawks at the end of their golden run.
It's becoming ridiculous all these gun players leaving bottom sides and going to Hawthorn for less than their market value so they can experience "success", what a shallow sense of success that is.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Boring if he goes to the Hawks at the end of their golden run.
It's becoming ridiculous all these gun players leaving bottom sides and going to Hawthorn for less than their market value so they can experience "success", what a shallow sense of success that is.

They did lose the second best player in the AFL and who are all these guns leaving and going to the Hawks anyway? And I doubt its shallow success They couldn't give a stuff how long they are at the club if they win the flag. They would be celebrating as hard as anyone.

I just see great recruiting from a club that is very successful and if we are smart enough we will do the same if we get to the top of the ladder.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

They did lose the second best player in the AFL and who are all these guns leaving and going to the Hawks anyway? And I doubt its shallow success They couldn't give a stuff how long they are at the club if they win the flag. They would be celebrating as hard as anyone.

I just see great recruiting from a club that is very successful and if we are smart enough we will do the same if we get to the top of the ladder.
Both Lake & Frawley took less money to play at Hawthorn… there would be no competition if lots of players decided to just join the best team for less money.

Brian Lake barely raised a sweat at the dogs when they dropped out of contention even though he was on mega-bucks, then at first opportunity he bailed, took a massive pay cut, actually get himself fit and become a premiership hero… the guy should be ashamed.

If Bennell, Dangerfield & Carlisle all joined Hawthorn next year on below market rates the comp would be stuffed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

Both Lake & Frawley took less money to play at Hawthorn… there would be no competition if lots of players decided to just join the best team for less money.

Brian Lake barely raised a sweat at the dogs when they dropped out of contention even though he was on mega-bucks, then at first opportunity he bailed, took a massive pay cut, actually get himself fit and become a premiership hero… the guy should be ashamed.

If Bennell, Dangerfield & Carlisle all joined Hawthorn next year on below market rates the comp would be stuffed.

Frawley got much more money at the Hawks. maybe 200 to 300k more. Lake did get less but it was hardly a lot less. I have no idea why lake should be ashamed. Surely it the Dogs fault if he was getting away with being not fit. As for those other guys going to the Hawks well I would say the chances of one going is doubtful let alone 3. Just because some person here says silly things like that it doesn't make it fact. Its like we starting a thread about Steven and Armo going to the Hawks and people discuss it as if it could happen.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Going to the best club to "chase success" - I ain't got time for that.

Freebird
Club Player

Surely they're receiving payments away from the club or under the desk.

It's like talk of Cloke being traded by Collingwood....Cloke would earn more than what his Collingwood salary shows. Cloke can't leave and Collingwood can't trade him.

Success means something but money means more

elvis lives
Club Player

It's a bit of a catch22. If HB has his head on straight now and 100% committed to footy it's highly unlikely the Suns will let him go. If however they are shopping him with a deal we'd be willing to contemplate, I think you could assume he's still got unresolved issues.

I am marching in the Saints army
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I just see great recruiting from a club that is very successful and if we are smart enough we will do the same if we get to the top of the ladder.

Perhaps. But a key plank of Free Agency was meant to be that it would assist lower ranked teams in securing quality players. It has actually done the reverse.

As a trend very good teams are being able to fix deficiencies with quality players. Poor teams are not.

Yess Buddy left the Hawks. But he did not depart for Big $$ to a weak team, he went to the Swans. And while Buddy left the Hawks have still been able to stock up with a number of quality players.

Yes Ablett went to the Suns. But that also required HUGE extra $$$$ : "off the books" marketing $$$$ to him that no other club can also do to attract players.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I just see great recruiting from a club that is very successful and if we are smart enough we will do the same if we get to the top of the ladder.

Perhaps. But a key plank of Free Agency was meant to be that it would assist lower ranked teams in securing quality players. It has actually done the reverse.

As a trend very good teams are being able to fix deficiencies with quality players. Poor teams are not.

Yess Buddy left the Hawks. But he did not depart for Big $$ to a weak team, he went to the Swans. And while Buddy left the Hawks have still been able to stock up with a number of quality players.

Yes Ablett went to the Suns. But that also required HUGE extra $$$$ : "off the books" marketing $$$$ to him that no other club can also do to attract players.

No the key plank of FA was so players could move. The players don't give a stuff who improves or who doesn't. They just don't want to be at clubs when they may not want to be there.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Not ready for FA yet. Last 6 games have been our perspective resetter. Average losses against the good sides in these
last six matches has been a massive 55 points. Take the draw against Geelong out of the equation and it's a whopping average losing margin of 66 points. That's where we're at guys. Need to keep drafting youth for the next two years, and when Roo, Joey, Dempster and Fisher retire, then get active on the FA front. Two more years of development, with another year of building towards finals after that and it's 2019 until we play finals again.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

In a weak draft this year it makes sense to use our first two dp's on trades for some top end players. If we are to lure any FA's in 2017 we need to be seen as a team on the way up, not floundering around accumulating dp's.
No, we are not ready for that yet. The next two drafts have to be about picking the best available youth.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
evo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

No, we are not ready for that yet. The next two drafts have to be about picking the best available youth.
Evo is saying top end players. If they re young enough its never to early to get them. Its o early for FA though.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
evo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Evo is saying top end players. If they re young enough its never to early to get them. Its o early for FA though.
Why is it too early for FA?
Look at the doggies, who would have thought they were top 4 nearly this year.
The Hawks, Swans and Dockers are about to fall off their perch, we get a top 5 draft pick this year and a FA this year and next we are in the finals in 17.
We need two A/B mids are we are fine.
FA and a DP/trade will get that.
Treloar/Bennell and a FA gets us to finals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
evo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

The Hawks, Swans and Dockers are about to fall off their perch, we get a top 5 draft pick this year and a FA this year and next we are in the finals in 17.

Because we are no where near a top 8 side. It will be 4 years before we are IMO. That makes a FA 31. And the club is also saying its to early. They know a hell of a lot more than me.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
evo wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Because we are no where near a top 8 side. It will be 4 years before we are IMO. That makes a FA 31. And the club is also saying its to early. They know a hell of a lot more than me.
Your opinion 4 years, not mine.
As I said, where did you see the bulldogs at the start of the year?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

About 12th.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:

About 12th.
Me too, probably 10 - 14, we can make finals next year if we get two ready made A/B mids this year.
I agree we probably won't but that's up to us.
I reckon we could be bolder…..we have been up to now, we have cap to use, if you are right and we use FA and don't make finals to 19/20 other than cap room what have we lost?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

We definitely need a full back, another big marking forward and a couple of elite mids. We're at least 4 really good players off finals which is at least 3 drafts

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:We definitely need a full back, another big marking forward and a couple of elite mids. We're at least 4 really good players off finals which is at least 3 drafts

Havent we got Bruce and McCartin up forward?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What happens when one is injured and the other is having a crap night? Bruce was really ordinary last night. Need to be more unpredictable. Eagles had Darling,Kennedy, La Cras, Hill all waiting for the pill

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
The Recruit
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:We definitely need a full back, another big marking forward and a couple of elite mids. We're at least 4 really good players off finals which is at least 3 drafts
Forwards are ok...need a good back (FA) but some class in the mids is key. Billings is one but need at least two more.....Kelly or Bennell would be a perfect start but something like that... just concerned pick 8-9 isn't going to cut it......