Jaxons come on down

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jaxons come on down

dragit wrote:Jax can you please tell the team to abort the Stevens idea… it's a stinker.
Perhaps think along the Moneyball lines.

Koby I assume will cost us little pick-wise. $ wise I understand he does not have an offer from the Dogs and so that will be reasonable as well.

Don't get me wrong, I would love more cream too. But remember that we are building a team, and we certainly did not bat deep enough in the midfield this year. Koby might well be a "value", rather than "valuable" piece of the puzzle.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 11 Oct 2016 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
jaxons wrote:
dragit wrote:Jax can you please tell the team to abort the Stevens idea… it's a stinker.
In your opinion.
That's what we're here for… I hope the rumoured 450K is miles off the mark in any case, he's obviously not a bad player but he's certainly not elite.

Hopefully we take another mid with 10 and start getting games into Freeman & Steele which would make someone like Stevens a waste of our huge cash surplus (IMO) > meanwhile Prestia, Mitchell & O'meara are finding new homes at other clubs.
Surely 250 would be more accurate?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

He's capable and has played some really good games. I'm sure we aren't selling the farm for him, he'll almost come for free or a throw away pick. Our midfield is very shallow, he'll be a nice extra.

Bring back the Lockett era
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:He's capable and has played some really good games. I'm sure we aren't selling the farm for him, he'll almost come for free or a throw away pick. Our midfield is very shallow, he'll be a nice extra.
It's worthwhile looking at how the Dog's built their premiership side, Jonesy, e.g.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... fb1bbbf594

Then, a coupla weeks later;

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/te ... a91e029231

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
st.rick
Club Player

aren't most 25yo's on around 350-450k nowdays its not like he's a polo etc..

The Recruit
Club Player

jaxons wrote:Can tell you we are getting close to getting Koby Stevens.

This makes me think maybe i should have something to do with the recruiting...what a stinker....Kobey Stevens is a dud
Has played good games against a hapless saints in 2015 and a terrible Carlton side.... :roll:
Last edited by The Recruit on Tue 11 Oct 2016 9:51pm, edited 2 times in total.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

st.rick wrote:aren't most 25yo's on around 350-450k nowdays its not like he's a polo etc..
I believe the average salary across the whole lot is circa $320K+ p.a., rick.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The Recruit
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Man I am pleased with Jack Steele. And we still have pick 10 up our sleeve.

Imagine a midfield with Ross, Steven, Acres and Steele running around out there bullying opposition sides. If Freeman ever comes on then goodness me.
+1 great midfield to watch for the next 5-6 years

Thesaint127
Club Player

Jaxons bruddah please please can u tell me if the saints are making a play for Gardiner and ahern,?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If the rumour is true that the Dogs have not offered Koby a contract, does that mean we will be able to get him as a DFA? And if the Dogs play nice swapped for a very late pick so that he can start training with us earlier?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 11 Oct 2016 9:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Perhaps think along the Moneyball lines.

Koby I assume will cost us little pick-wise. $ wise I understand he does not have an offer from the Dogs and so that will be reasonable as well.

Don't get me wrong, I would love more cream too. But remember that we are building a team, and we certainly did not bat deep enough in the midfield this year. Koby might well be a "value", rather than "valuable" piece of the puzzle.
While our midfield IS shallow and doesn't bat deep it didn't help that Richo only rotated 4 guys in there virtually all year (Steven, Ross, Armitage & Dunstan). If we're ever going to go somewhere then the likes of Acres, Billings, Newnes, Sinclair, Gresham, etc, had to spend more time in there than just a cameo appearance every now and then. It's about building a team and giving the newer players more midfield time and experience instead of trying to rely on 4 blokes.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Without being certain, I think you'll find Stevens got injured in '16 at the wrong time, spent a while out, and couldn't break back into the premiers late on.

What I am certain about is he had an excellent turnaround from an ex-Kanga inside-outside mid, to about the best clamp down inside mid in '15. Hard, very hard, and did many a job on almost all, including our very own Jack (not the plural), but also got it going the other way.

I wouldn't count it out, and if the price is right, and don't forget the Doggies will have cap pressure looming (e.g. Boyd's contract, which does have performance bonuses), then he might just be a useful addition. The same recruitment mob at our joint did have interest before he went to the Dogs - and I don't rate Ameet et al as twits at their caper.

In the wash up, I would like to see blokes who are hard in the middle, and can cover ground, provide a bit of protection for the likes of Jack - he needs some help, and those who sacrifice for the greater good.

Happy to leave it to wise men, me (well, wiser than me, anyway).
According to the Dogs website he was excellent in 2015 up to round 15 before a stress fracture in the foot ended his season. Responding to both you and Con,
I can see the value if what you're saying is true. If he is a hard inside mid who can also play outside and spread, then there's something to like there. Also 189cm so has height for a mid as well. I wasn't aware he was of interest to us before going to the Dogs. Maybe he's a versatile player who will add depth and run.
Looks like I'm just displaying ignorance I guess or I've fallen for the "dream of picking up cream" rather than understanding the nuts and bolts of building a list with depth and versatility.
Looking at his stats for 2016, they're not much different to his reportedly excellent 2015.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... fopt2=2015

So like you TOT, I leave it to wiser heads whose actual job it is to recruit players to judge whether or not he's worth chasing.
Perhaps similar to Steele as in a good player who can't get a regular spot in an A grade mid-field.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Im not sold on Stevens
at best I think the club is buying depth and more importantly IP intelligence from the dogs
but he doesnt come to close to what collingwod bought in Luke Ball

Seeya
The Recruit
Club Player

Cant see who Koby replaces in the best 22....the ONLY reason he would be drafted would be for depth and if the dogs have not offered him a contract then he is worth having in the twos....averaged

Disposals
17 - 2014
20 - 2015
22 - 2016

but hasnt played heaps of games in the last two years....better than Curren so goes in front of him
For me though, adding Koby Stevens to the list says more about the Saints change of mindset in 2017 on where 'the window' is at...cleary it is slowly opening in their opinion :wink:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
jaxons wrote:
In your opinion.
That's what we're here for… I hope the rumoured 450K is miles off the mark in any case, he's obviously not a bad player but he's certainly not elite.

Hopefully we take another mid with 10 and start getting games into Freeman & Steele which would make someone like Stevens a waste of our huge cash surplus (IMO) > meanwhile Prestia, Mitchell & O'meara are finding new homes at other clubs.
Surely 250 would be more accurate?

250 is no where near the mark. He would stay at the WB in that case.

Kobe is very similar to a lot of our mids already but the thing is he was in very fine form at one stage early this year and showed in the BL. Shows he has the ability to be in the best handful on the ground - that's a start! Not bad for a fringe

ace
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:Cant see who Koby replaces in the best 22....the ONLY reason he would be drafted would be for depth and if the dogs have not offered him a contract then he is worth having in the twos....averaged

Disposals
17 - 2014
20 - 2015
22 - 2016

but hasnt played heaps of games in the last two years....better than Curren so goes in front of him
For me though, adding Koby Stevens to the list says more about the Saints change of mindset in 2017 on where 'the window' is at...cleary it is slowly opening in their opinion :wink:
But we have already delisted Curren so that means in front of Curren means in front of nothing.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
jaxons
Club Player

Thesaint127 wrote:Jaxons bruddah please please can u tell me if the saints are making a play for Gardiner and ahern,?
These two haven't been spoken about by us.

The Recruit
Club Player

If this is true it is brilliant!!

get Mitchell or not...at least we have stuck it up 'the all conquering' hawks...will force them to trade their pick 14 as a well as a future second round to match us...

well-done saints. One big f*** you to the brown and gold...love it....

st.rick
Club Player

not many on here thought much of bruce, membrey, dempster, roberton even hickey
before they where signed by us.
As TOT said the recruiters would probably know more about him than we do.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
Thesaint127 wrote:Jaxons bruddah please please can u tell me if the saints are making a play for Gardiner and ahern,?
I thought Darcy Gardiner would be high on the want list?

st.rick
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:
jaxons wrote:

This from the Afl site
Ahern, 2014's No.7 draft pick, is contracted for 2017 but is unlikely to play next year after last month rupturing his right anterior cruciate ligament for the second time this year.

I don't think we need more injured players sitting out a year

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

All these names getting bandied about is just confusing. If their first name isn't Jack then I don't want to know about them unless they change their name by deed poll (whatever that is). :D

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

As pointed out previously K. Stevens has had some exceptional games with the Bulldogs in the last few years (6 Brownlow votes this year) and some quieter ones as well - he has also been hampered by a few freak injuries recently as well (Broken ribs/Lung, Abdominal and a Foot injury )

Sure he is a no frills player but at 189cm/ 87 kg he is a super size to play inside mid and has shown continual improvement of the course of his career - he is only 25 so surely has his best years ahead

He might not be your no 1 go to mid and he might not necessarily be in our picked 22 every week but we add depth and mature grunt on the inside which we desperately need - we probably wont lose anything if he comes in to replace some one like Dunstan if he gets injured

He went pick 44 to Bulldogs from West Coast so if we can get him for a 3rd or 4th rounder we have done ok - whilst no superstar he will add even more hardness to the squad as well

Probably better than a speculative no 50 pick on an 18 year old which is unlikely to make it and if they do wont impact for another 5 years anyway - and yes this guy form shows up a lot better than Polo, Birss, McGough, Callaghan or any other shitty top ups we've traded for

The Dogs were very happy with his form earlier this season when they were flying - why he struggled to force his way back into their side after injury and why they are letting him go? ...... I don't know

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:

CarlTaughtMeEnglish
Club Player

Just spit balling trying to tie things together...

Saints are into Stevens from Dogs
Freo are into Hamling from Dogs
We have the family connection suggestion for Weller from Freo

Saints have picks 10, 49, 67 ...
Freo have 7, 34, 42, 60 ....
Dogs have 18, 39, 62 ...

Trying to do the math
Stevens is worth a pick 45 - 55
Hamling is worth a pick 35 - 45 (kept Buddy quiet in the grand final but WA go home factor)
Weller is worth a pick 10 - 25

Throwing some saints names around
Billy Longer - 35 - 45
Tom Lee 45 - 55
Mystery Player 35 - 45 (top 25ish on list)

This is where the spit balling comes in...

Freo loose Weller and gain Tom, Hamley and future round 2 pick (~39) (Both big bodied WA boys boys)

Dogs loose Stevens and Hamley and gain Billy and Saints mystery player (Billy would be an upgrade on Minson not sure who else they might need but it has to be someone for this to work)

Saints loose Billy, Tom, future round 2 pick and Mystery Player but gain Weller and Stevens