Nick and his other Nick’s turns over a new leaf.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick and his other Nick’s turns over a new leaf.

mostly , as in now , not wearing any

it’s already between my toes
... like a face pack

earthing out , ‘n all that jizzmo

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
happy feet
Club Player

Where’s B.M, has he disappeared again?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

to summarise so far
We all cant wait fo the saints to be successful over a long sustained period maybe throw in a GF or two
We will never be a big club cuz BM is sterilising all stkilda males
We can however increase membership and financial base if we play overseas according to the club an the AFL
Saynta doesnt want a bar of it

Nick sensing autumn fast approaching is sorting through his extensive leaf collection
and ASIU waxes lyrical about seasons lost and seeds that are sown

Im just happy to have a bit of a giggle

Seeya
asiu
Saintsational Legend

:D :D

there’s grass growing from between my toes
... must be that good compost i’ve been standing in

good seeds equals good grass

i’m sure someone has said that
somewhere sometime

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 8:14am
samuraisaint wrote: Mon 20 Jan 2020 10:57pm
Loving the debate on here. This is what Saintsational is meant to be for. I hope our CEO and President are reading.

Back to the discussion at hand; I am not suggesting that we are some sleeping juggernaut of the AFL, just that we have over 300,000 supporters and we are located in a very important location for the AFL strategically.

Richmond in the 90s struggled to get supporters - they nearly folded - remember SOS - Save Our Skins?

Hawthorn nearly merged due to lack of supporters in 1996 - they nearly merged with Melbourne who were the stronger partner in the merger - they were going to wear Melbourne jumpers! Don Scott rallied some influential bean counters to save them. That wasn't 60 years ago - just over 20.

'Dogs nearly merged with the 'Roys, with Fitzroy being the dominant club in that merger proposal at the time.

Geelong was in dire straits financially until Frank Costa came along and ressurected the club in the early 2000s.

We had to rattle the tins in the mid-90s too - and then two years later nearly won a Flag!

All of these examples are ways in which meaningful change has occurred at football clubs, bucking trends at the time.
My point is, that these clubs didn't grow their supporter base at all.

The bases of all clubs was built decades ago. In some cases 100 years ago.

It doesn't change much.

Hawthorn didn't 'find' 100000 new supporters to get them out of the merger era.

They have a large supporter base that was grown decades ago based on religious ties (I think they were a Protestant club?) and is a genuine bandwagon supporter base.

According the Morgan poll, their supporter base dropped 30% last year! The AFL have sacked them from 'big fixtures' already too.

Geelong obviously have an entire city as their supporter base. They have always been a huge club in this regard. The new ground paid for my the government to give the people down there something to do with their lives is how they've turned the huge supporter base into financial results.

And they, along with other 'single city' teams can actually grow their supporter base as the population of that city grows. However the reason these clubs are 'single city' is because no one really gives a f*** about the footy there. Hence Sydney having a huge supporter base - but tiny crowds.

Geelong, WA and Adelaide obviously don't fit that criteria.

We didn't start as a religious club that built a large supporter base off the back of it, we didn't start as a club in a densely populated inner city suburb where life sucked and footy was the only outlet.

And for Victorian clubs it's never really changed since.

But the biggest factor, is that Saints fans have better s*** to do. There's more important things in life.

That doesn't apply to Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton and Essendin fans. Those fuckers live and breathe the s***. They're tragic.

The facts are, they show up in bigger numbers when they're at the bottom of the ladder, than Saints fans do when we're on top.

And when they're on top, the numbers are insane.

The AFL know this.

They know that a big Richmond = big $$. Whereas a big St Kilda = meh.

A big Essendon and a big Richmond = massive f****** $$$! So massive that it allows them to use the money to keep small clubs alive and makes the league a juggernaut. They know that this would not be the case if they were reliant on St Kilda's fans to generate the same crowds and interest.
They also know that they need the small clubs alive in order to give the big clubs someone to play against and the TV channels 9 games to show each weekend.

So I really don't think the AFL give a stuff where, when or who we play. As long as it doesn't detract from the big clubs drawing huge numbers in 'Blockbusters' - and as long as the 200-300k fans don't turn off the TV and start following another sport then I don't think the AFL cares.

China, NZ, Tassie, Ballarat, Darwin - who gives a f***.
Well, to be fair, China is a far different proposition to the others in that list now.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

We should really play in L.A. once a year.

For a once a year circus, the Yanks would love it.

Somehow tying into the G'day USA thing would be great. That whole event is one big sales pitch - playing an AFL game over there during it (although the scheduling is an issue) is the go.

The go over old ground again - we should be trying to become a 'TV team'. A team that just seems be always in watchable games. We can never achieve by getting Blockbusters or primetime fixtures. The AFL has reserved that for the big clubs.

So we need to find a way to develop a TV brand.

Lime Sydney did with the Sunday arvo live games back in the late 80s.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 9:03am We should really play in L.A. once a year.

Somehow tying into the G'day USA thing would be great. That whole event is one big sales pitch - playing an AFL game over there during it (although the scheduling is an issue) is the go.

The go over old ground again - we should be trying to become a 'TV team'. A team that just seems be always in watchable games. We can never achieve by getting Blockbusters or primetime fixtures. The AFL has reserved that for the big clubs.

TV won't be around in the future so why would we jump on that vehicle. It's going to be Google and Amazon and Alibaba and you will click to interact and consume.

Ironically China will own our club if Alibaba have a media rights contract.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 9:25am
BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 9:03am We should really play in L.A. once a year.

TV won't be around in the future so why would we jump on that vehicle. It's going to be Google and Amazon and Alibaba and you will click to interact and consume.

I don't mean TV as in Ch10 and Foxtel FFS.

I mean 'TV' as in consuming the product electronically rather than being at the game.

The electronic medium used to consume it isn't the point.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Geez, there are some rubbish posts. I grew up in Hawthorn territory in the 50's and 60's. Hardy anyone was a hawks supporter back then. They picked up their 100,00 supporters by winning flags. Lots of them.

My best mate was a fanatical tigers supporter and a champion under age footballer. Both the Tigers and the Saints wanted to sign him but the hawks wouldn't let go of their hold. But no way was he going to play for them so he turned to the VFA where he had a very successful career

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 9:49am

I mean 'TV' as in consuming the product electronically rather than being at the game.

Is that an apology. I take it you have come full circle with your latest learning and now accept Google could own the media rights.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 10:42am

Is that an apology. I take it you have come full circle with your latest learning and now accept Google could own the media rights.
?

You can already consume the product via devices other than TVs.

I'd be staggered if 1) Google bought the rights, and 2) if the AFL sold them sole rights.

That would make zero sense to me.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 10:52am
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 10:42am

?

You can already consume the product via devices other than TVs.

I'd be staggered if 1) Google bought the rights, and 2) if the AFL sold them sole rights.

Appology already accepted.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 9:52am Geez, there are some rubbish posts. I grew up in Hawthorn territory in the 50's and 60's. Hardy anyone was a hawks supporter back then. They picked up their 100,00 supporters by winning flags. Lots of them.

My best mate was a fanatical tigers supporter and a champion under age footballer. Both the Tigers and the Saints wanted to sign him but the hawks wouldn't let go of their hold. But no way was he going to play for them so he turned to the VFA where he had a very successful career
Yeah, I remember playing Hawthorn at Princes Park in the 80s and early 90s and their support was very sparse.

Same at VFL Park too.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 10:56am
My opinion hasn't changed one bit.

Not sure what you want an apology for?

BarryGrogan
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 11:25am
saynta wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 9:52am Geez, there are some rubbish posts. I grew up in Hawthorn territory in the 50's and 60's. Hardy anyone was a hawks supporter back then. They picked up their 100,00 supporters by winning flags. Lots of them.

Yeah, I remember playing Hawthorn at Princes Park in the 80s and early 90s and their support was very sparse.

Same at VFL Park too.
They still don't pull crowds.

The AFL bounced them because of it.

Even at their on-field peak - they were only averaging 41k which had them well behind the 'big clubs'. Last year they're down to 35k which has only a few thousand above Melbourne and the Bulldogs.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 11:54am

As Trump would say, read the transcript :D

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Play in LA?!

Google or Amazon no chance of being involved in next TV rights?!

#winning

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 12:34pm

Play in LA?!

Google or Amazon no chance of being involved in next TV rights?!

#winning
I don't think I ever said they wouldn't be involved.

What I've said was:
BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 9:03am Why would Google buy it if no one watches it?

On a side topic, I don't know why TF Google would buy rights to sport though anyway?

Sorry man, but barely a word of that contains any logic.
Do some homework on how Google makes it money then re-engage in the discussion.

Why would Google buy the rights to the AFL?? Do you know how they make their dough?
They spy on us - and sell the juicy details to organisations like the TV channels and like the AFL.
Why would they bother buying it??? It doesn't make sense to me. And the articles you posted make it less clear.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 12:19pm

?

Ok, here's the transcript...
BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 11:54am Why would Google buy it if no one watches it?

On a side topic, I don't know why TF Google would buy rights to sport though anyway?

Why would Google buy the rights to the AFL?? Do you know how they make their dough?
They spy on us - and sell the juicy details to organisations like the TV channels and like the AFL.
Why would they bother buying it??? It doesn't make sense to me. And the articles you posted make it less clear.
BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 11:54am You can already consume the product via devices other than TVs.

Not sure how you deduce that I've changed my mind, or need to apologise for anything?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 12:57pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 12:19pm

?

Ok, here's the transcript...
BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 11:54am Why would Google buy it if no one watches it?

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 11:54am You can already consume the product via devices other than TVs.

Not sure how you deduce that I've changed my mind, or need to apologise for anything?
It's getting embarrassing now. I've already moved on, you should too.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 1:06pm
Are you a bot?

Your responses and posting is all over the place!

One minute we're shutting down the MCG, next thing there will be no TVs, you're then quoting Trump and asking for apologies, you're 'accusing' of people of changing their minds when it's in black and white that they haven't - now you're embarrassed and moving on?

Fairly erratic stuff.

Serious question - are you a chatbot?

If you don't have anything to add to a discussion - just don't post.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 1:16pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 1:06pm
Are you a bot?

Your responses and posting is all over the place!

One minute we're shutting down the MCG, next thing there will be no TVs, you're then quoting Trump and asking for apologies, you're 'accusing' of people of changing their minds when it's in black and white that they haven't - now you're embarrassed and moving on?

Fairly erratic stuff.

Serious question - are you a chatbot?

If you don't have anything to add to a discussion - just don't post.
Are you drunk?

BarryGrogan
Club Player

asiu wrote: Mon 27 Jan 2020 6:59pm we

as in
we are standing in it
See that little Facebook widget at the bottom of each post?

That means that Facebook is watching you. Even of you aren't logged on to Facebook - even if you don't even have a Facebook account - they're tracking your online movements.

Unless you restrict it - every time you see that widget on a page, Facebook has dropped the Facebook.fr onto your PC or phone. The Facebook.fr cookie feeds your info back to Facebook, even you're not a member.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 11:55am
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 01 Feb 2020 11:25am

Same at VFL Park too.
They still don't pull crowds.

The AFL bounced them because of it.

Even at their on-field peak - they were only averaging 41k which had them well behind the 'big clubs'. Last year they're down to 35k which has only a few thousand above Melbourne and the Bulldogs.
Many of the people attending at the G are MCC members, AFL members and corporates so this further skews their attendances. When they played GWS there last year they barely pulled 14,000. Only 11,000 saw them play Port Adelaide in Launceston. They had similar numbers attend several other of their matches against interstate sides as well.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It was close enough Barry.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.