Off Season Targets

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Off Season Targets

Latest from Caro and co is we are into Taranto
Don’t know how that gets done....but he’s inked!

“Yeah….nah””
bigred
Saintsational Legend

The bigfooty rumour is saying that GWS have offered Caldwell something like three million over five years.

Rather large deal for a 20yo that has played eleven games.

Would be irresponsible to go near that.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
older saint
SS Life Member

If they keep Cameron, each over payment of a young kid opens up the opportunity for another more established player to leave.

The issue GWS have is no/few foot soldiers, which means few on average or just below average money. DeBoer is one , but lack players like Kent, Lonie , Geary, Webster, Savage etc. as they have had so many first and second round picks.

Something has to fall off the tree just need to hope it is what we need and we are there to catch it.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

diddley wrote: Wed 30 Sep 2020 8:58pm
SaintPelican66 wrote: Wed 30 Sep 2020 5:12pm
diddley wrote: Wed 30 Sep 2020 12:15pm
fugazi wrote: Wed 30 Sep 2020 8:28am Bugger.
I was hoping the Caldwell situation would be relatively easy while they fight to retain their established stars.
I feel that this is a posturing move to get more leverage, and demand more than the second round pick people are quoting.
Throw them our first round pick (hopefully it is pick 19) and let’s get it done without any fuss.
We were never going to get him for a second round pick. They would already be spewing about Steele so I don't think they would be as accomodating this time around unfortunately. In my opinion, they will not accept anything over pick 20.

That's why I posted this in a seperate thread.........

Picks in hand 14, 58, 73, 86 Total points 1,340

Adelaide get pick 14 (1161 points)
St Kilda get pick 20 (912 points) & pick 44 (362 points) Total points 1,274

St Kilda profit by 113 points
Picks in hand 20, 40, 58, 73, 86
Port Adelaide get pick 20 (912 points) & pick 58 (170 points) & 73 (9 points) Total points 1,091
St kilda get pick 26 (729 points) & pick 50 (273 points) & pick 55 (207 points) Total points 1,209

St Kilda profit by 118 points
Picks in hand 26, 40, 50 , 55, 86

Original hand 14, 58, 73, 86 Total points 1,340
New hand 26, 40, 50 , 55, 86 Total points 1,638

If we were able to do all this then the next step would be to package up 40, 50 and 55 (909 points) and trade with a team that needs lower picks for their academy or Father Son players. eg Brisbane pick 19 (948 points)

Original hand 14, 58, 73, 86 Total points 1,340
Final hand 19, 26, 86 Total points 1,677

pick 19 for Caldwell
Pick 26 plus next year's FRDP for Taranto.
I read your other post, and decided to let it go, as I think it is delusional. But as you have dragged it into a second post, I will address it.
Trades need to have a positive for both sides. Even the trade we did with Hawthorn a couple of years ago had something that Hawthorn wanted. The end goal was to get O’Meara. They got him with the picks we traded to them.
In all 3 trades you have proposed, the other team has lost out. The only time this happens, is when a team has someone specific in mind to grab at that pick, normally a draft choice. This can now happen on trade night, so doing a chain of pick-bundling will not happen to create a player trade, which is what your finishing suggestion, and your ultimate goal.

Secondly, they would not have thought about losing Steele for the past few years. He played 17 games for them, and now almost 80 for us over 4 seasons. They have traded out other star studded midfielders like Treloar, Adams and Shiel, and they have profited highly because of it, all while keeping many other A grade players. And they took them to a Grand Final just last year. It is part of their blueprint for the past 5+ years. They have managed to turn the trades into other great players, and some that were not so great.

Lastly, pick 26 + 2021 frdp (potentially pick 12-18) is not enough to pry a former number 2 pick that is 22 years old and their reigning b&f. Even if he requested it.
Also, I find it ironic that you have suggested multiple chains of trades, to land Caldwell with pick 19, which was a correction to my suggestion to land him with pick 19.
It might be wishful thinking but it is certainly not delusional. The carrot for Adelaide is that they improve their pick 20 to pick 14 but sacrifice pick 44. And the carrot for Port is they improve their pick 26 to pick 20 but downgrade two of their lower picks. They might be tempted if they want certain players and want to boos their chances of getting them. You just never know.

Can you see where I am coming from now diddley? If you still think I'm being delusional that's ok.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Posted by a Geelong person on the Saints BF site -

Just wanted to pass on some information to you guys. Forget discussing trades for any of the GWS mids. I’ve been told by an extremely reliable source at Collingwood that you guys literally have a handshake agreement with Collingwood for a trade for Trealor. They’re desperate to clear up salary cap space to target a tall forward. Also, you guys are also going hard at De Goey. And have made an offer he’s weighing up which is a hell of a lot more than what Collingwood have offered. North and Essendon have also made offers but he wants to play finals.

Will keep you updated when I hear anything else.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sat 03 Oct 2020 11:30am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 02 Oct 2020 4:46pm Posted by a Geeong person on the Saints BF site -

Just wanted to pass on some information to you guys. Forget discussing trades for any of the GWS mids. I’ve been told by an extremely reliable source at Collingwood that you guys literally have a handshake agreement with Collingwood for a trade for Trealor. They’re desperate to clear up salary cap space to target a tall forward. Also, you guys are also going hard at De Goey. And have made an offer he’s weighing up which is a hell of a lot more than what Collingwood have offered. North and Essendon have also made offers but he wants to play finals.

Will keep you updated when I hear anything else.
Have heard the De Goey rumour in the past but the guy is facing serious sexual assault charges so thanks but no thanks.

Treloar would be ok but not gettable imho.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if Collingwood are the smokey in chasing Jeremy Cameron. It would make the need to off load Treloar for salary cap relief more plausible.