Saints Sign Roberton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

defacto
Club Player

Re: Saints Sign Roberton

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think Nick Winmar might be playing for the Tigers next year ....

Claremont Tigers that is
his gf lives in sydney. doubt he'll be coming back to perth

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think Nick Winmar might be playing for the Tigers next year ....
Claremont Tigers that is
from what i hear Claremont are keen to get him to come back to play for them especially now they are losing all of their WCE and Freo players to East Perth and Peel .... another rumour i have heard a whisper about is that Raph Clarke is being talked about possibly joining a WAFL club (i think his sister may live in Perth??? )

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

elvis lives wrote:Whoever picks up garlett will be laughing for years to come. In 2020 after his second brownlow, people will be looking back to November 2012 wondering what drugs the collective football world were on (maybe Gary Pert knows) that led them to thinking 18 year old kid could not turn his so called behavior issues around.
Looks like "Whoever" = "No one" :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

No Garlett - wow.
Im not sure how I feel about that. Someone should have rookied the kid.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:No Garlett - wow.
Im not sure how I feel about that. Someone should have rookied the kid.
Con, like I said on the PSD thread:
Dr Spaceman wrote:I’ll take a punt and say that none of us on here know Dayle Garlett.

I’ll also say that few, if any, know the inner workings of a modern AFL club.

However:

Two WA based clubs couldn’t find a place for Garlett, even on their Rookie List. Even though they wouldn’t have faced significant homesickness issues and even though some suggested the whole “bad boy” image was designed in the West to scare off the other clubs.

And Essendon, despite it’s rich history with Indigenous players, and despite having the kid train with them in the lead up to today’s announcements, passed on him even though they could have rookied him for virtually no cost.

Sometimes actions, or non actions, really do speak louder than words 8-)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I know you are probably right DS. But Im still allowed to be sad about it. I dont think its cool to see a kid in this situation.
Doesnt gladden my heart.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
All I'm saying is they are cutting the list hard which makes them feel less secure and surely guys that have developed along side him and considered mates are in that group. It has been reported in the media and on forums.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6419406041

And from demons forum

There have been rumours circulating today that Frawley has asked for a trade and already sat with St Kilda officers. I hope this is only a rumour as Frawley would be an enormous loss.
There were very strong whispers flying around in early October that were having a big crack at Frawley and this was spoken about extensively on the Saints board on BF, apart from anywhere else. It would surprise me if it wasn't spoken about plenty on here. The HS even apparently stated in their "trade rumours" page, a week or two later, that Melbourne has said that they wouldn't trade him, so it was definitely being spoken about.

I have it on very good authority that we did indeed have a crack at him. As far as I'm aware he was "Plan A" and once it became clear that Melbourne wouldn't trade him (at least for something we were prepared to give up for him) then we moved on to "plan B", who was Mitch Brown.

Apparently Frawley had had a big row with Mark Neeld (which I hear he might have had with a few on their list) and was very willing to come to us and we offered them Farren Ray and Sam Gilbert for him (and probably a pick or two), I was told (this was before trade week had even started and before we had gotten Tom Lee), but in the end Melbourne wouldn't agree to trade him (probably largely because Rivers made it clear he was going by then- I think they might have been open to it prior to that- and because he apparently made up with Neeld) and after that we moved our attentions to Mitch Brown.

Frawley's still contracted for two more years though, so I doubt we'll get him next year, either and if he is eligible for free agency in two years time, we'll hopefully have someone else in place by then, so I think that door is now closed.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
defacto
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
defacto wrote: lol oh dear

your east perth love or i suspect your east freo love for a past player in micale is so strong your now trying to convince yourself that ross left because he was scared of the pelch's list management

hitler could be in an east perth/east freo jumper and you'd think he should be a saint!!!
i am a strong East Freo supporter ill admit that but i also see quallity in people and Tony Michale is quallity .. ask Dean Cox who he credits for his ability to become not just an AFL footballer but the best AFL footballer he could be .. but this has nothing to do with Michale considering he has been in the job only a matter of weeks and his role is as a midfeild coach/development coach not a recruiter or recruiter advisor the signing of Roberton would have had zero conection to Tony ..
its widely know Ross lyon left for money opportunity and also a sore ego after Pelchen was apointed as his superior.. Pelchen with the likes of Hutchy, Baines, Elshaug, Beveridge, Collins and Liberatore would have made the decision on signing Roberton Michale would have only been maybe asked his opinion on him .. but hey you keep on making your little stories about the big bad Tony Michale
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6557331147

Respected WA football figure Tony Micale was instrumental in getting Roberton to St Kilda after he coached him at East Perth, before moving to the Saints as a development coach.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I don't envy anyone who becomes a father at 21. I had a good few good years ahead of me still at that point. He'll have to wait until he's in his 40s to have any freedom again.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
I don't envy anyone who becomes a father at 21. I had a good few good years ahead of me still at that point. He'll have to wait until he's in his 40s to have any freedom again.
True, but when he's forty he can take his son to the strippers!

Let's hope that the baby is a good sleeper. Otherwise Mr Roberton will need to find an S very quickly. S for sleep!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would rather a stable guy getting no sleep from crying kids than a night out drinking with mates. I have a good feeling about both Roberton and TDL. I think both will play a fair bit of footy. My freo supporter mates thought Roberton was going to be a pretty special player a couple of years ago. Both are pretty good judges so here's hoping. TDL is fast but fell behind Jetta at the Swans, he should surprise a few with his abilities. He kind of reminded me a bit of Milera the way he was playing a couple of years ago- clean and pacy.

defacto
Club Player

gringo wrote:I would rather a stable guy getting no sleep from crying kids than a night out drinking with mates. I have a good feeling about both Roberton and TDL. I think both will play a fair bit of footy. My freo supporter mates thought Roberton was going to be a pretty special player a couple of years ago. Both are pretty good judges so here's hoping. TDL is fast but fell behind Jetta at the Swans, he should surprise a few with his abilities. He kind of reminded me a bit of Milera the way he was playing a couple of years ago- clean and pacy.
Roberton by all account is a good kid.

I agree with you on TDL. He's very under rated ATM by saints fans. He's a gun!!!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

TDL is 25 this year with 19 AFL games... I don't think you could seriously call him a 'gun' yet surely?

defacto
Club Player

dragit wrote:TDL is 25 this year with 19 AFL games... I don't think you could seriously call him a 'gun' yet surely?
he really wasnt given a decent go by sydney. should have played alot more games

gringo
Saintsational Legend

the sandwich will slice up the comp next year.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Did anyone notice that the Saint's site has his height at 194cm--Roberton, that is? He seems to be taller than we thought.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
dragit wrote:TDL is 25 this year with 19 AFL games... I don't think you could seriously call him a 'gun' yet surely?
Where do you think he'll play for the Saints? We've got a lot of small forwards.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:the sandwich will slice up the comp next year.
I wonder what number he will wear for Sandringham?

I will be surprised if he makes 50 AFL games.

defacto
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
defacto wrote:
Where do you think he'll play for the Saints? We've got a lot of small forwards.
i honestly believe that hyphen will be the eventual replacement for milne. one of milnes great strengths is his lead up marking. something we cannot expect to see from saad. hyphen can address this, whilst still serviceable on the ground. hyphens defensive work in the fwd 50 is also very good. the acquisition of hyphen will allow a milera to push up the ground in a lewis jetta style role or potentially allow for dunell/markworth (on his return) to push up the ground. it will also allow someone like siposs to remain down back, where he can use his great kicking to set up plays (think beej).

theres something to be said for having a fwd with a great defensive attitude. morton kick 2 goals that swang the game back in sydneys favor, just from continually applying pressure. he then setup a 3rd that just wasnt there. by applying pressure to 2 hawthorn defenders and giving his team mates a shot.

hyphen will help take some of the pressure off the taller fwds and give us another marking options, whilst still maintaining fwd 50 pressure.

so to answer your question fwd pocket/fwd flank.

next year i think we'll see something like this:
HF schneider reiwoldt hyphen
F milne wilkes saad

my gutfeel is stanley will play down back on the resting ruck. siposs will slot into the HBF. milera will push up onto the wing where he can use his pace and agility. schneider will push further up the ground where he can use his inside skills and decision making through traffic.

lee may come in for a wilkes and potentially hyphen.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6557331147
MEET baby Boston - the reason Dylan Roberton walked out on Fremantle at the end of last season to return home to Melbourne.

Roberton, who played 37 games for the Dockers in three seasons, decided he and partner Amy Capp needed to return to Melbourne to be near the support of family after she fell pregnant last year.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Aren't some of the comments in this thread priceless??? :P

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Where's st_Trav? Haven't seem him around here for a while.

FQF
SS Life Member

TDL, Siposs, Saad, Milera... the great saviours we had waiting in the wings.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
defacto wrote:
Claremont Tigers that is
from what i hear Claremont are keen to get him to come back to play for them especially now they are losing all of their WCE and Freo players to East Perth and Peel .... another rumour i have heard a whisper about is that Raph Clarke is being talked about possibly joining a WAFL club (i think his sister may live in Perth??? )

Funny that Nicks ex girlfriend gets mention. If anyone is interested she is on SBS news. A very good looking girl.