Saints V swans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints V swans

Verdun66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I will go real early and hope I am wrong. Roberton lacks a fair bit.
I thought Roberton played well.
Agreed. Looks to be the direct replacement for Gram. Not as offensive minded but still had his fair share of rebounds from our defence. Also very flexible who he can play on similar to Dempster. Saw him line up on Jesse Smith and not much difference in height. Hes taller than you would think.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Thank you. I appreciate it

Your brother was great in the second half. Its amzing how the big bodies control once everyone is tired.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

DWOODROW wrote:So has anyone get anything constructive to say about the game as a whole. Haven't been able to watch it but can't seem to get much of an idea due to bickering and slanging on the game thread
yeah saw Armo do a really nice baulk between two swannies (i think in the third)
he played really well, he looks fit and ready for a big year, and should start to make Montagna and Lenny to be a bit worried for spots... :shock:
just tell him to lower the frees against penalty count
good effort all round, not sure we unearthed many rising stars - maybe Roberton and does this new guy Maister qualify?

Seeya
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:So has anyone get anything constructive to say about the game as a whole. Haven't been able to watch it but can't seem to get much of an idea due to bickering and slanging on the game thread

Ok my summary

Terrific game. Both sides were hard at it. Lacked polish and skills were down but endeavour and pace up on both sides.

Saints beaten early but finished full of run and looked like they could have run away with it if it kept going.

Quick player summary starting with your bro and moving on to the new players:

D Armo - absolute gun. Hard tough and such clean hands and doesnt fumble ever. Could win a b&f this year.

TDL - all players step up against their old old club - but sheesh he has some good qualities. Can play the game.

Hickey - sheesh a lot to like about him. Can also go fwd. Him and Ben look like a serious double act. Hickey maybe even ahead of Ben.

Roberton - looks a bit unco but also looks like one of those unco guys who ends up a gun. Too early to judge.

N Wright - Sheesh. IM pretty excited about this kid.

Seb Ross - Took his time to get into the pace of the game (it was pretty quick) but seemed to catch up to the pace and looked good in the last qtr.

Ferg - got a touch up and a marking lesson from Reid - but nothing to be ashamed of. Reid is a super overhead grab . So Ferg worth persisting with IMHO.

Ledger - Same old story. Doesnt get much of a go but when he comes on he is always lively and involved.

Newnes- Tough as . Future captain of the club. Amazing 2nd and 3rd efforts. Looks like a hybrid of armo
and Joey.

Negative
Cant knock their endeavour and efforts but CJ and Dunny lack polish and sometimes turn a regulation play into a complicated mash up job.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 03 Mar 2013 8:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Man, the radio has seen different to a lot of posters in this game!

Wright, Roberton, Ross, Newnes.... All got complimented on their games. But it was said Maister was beaten by Richards?!

Wright had 15 touches halfway through the last! Roberton nearly 20.

Armitage, doing what I have always thought he could do.... Play good footy. In all the games thus far this season, I have rated him about th best.... It seems to be the case again. Mac seems to hav played well

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
yeah saw Armo do a really nice baulk between two swannies (i think in the third)
he played really well, he looks fit and ready for a big year, and should start to make Montagna and Lenny to be a bit worried for spots... :shock:
just tell him to lower the frees against penalty count
good effort all round, not sure we unearthed many rising stars - maybe Roberton and does this new guy Maister qualify?
Disagree with your last comment, I thought Wrights game was the best first game I've seen from a young saint in a long while

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Agree Old Mate thought Ross and Wright got better as the game went on.
Thought we struggled in the middle of the ground initially - but fair enough considering who we were playing and who we had out.
Thought there was a little bit to like in Roberton as the game went on too. TDL could turn out very handy.
I'm a bit sold on what Hickey could give us now. Liked what I saw. And think the combo of him and Ben could be really impressive.
Reckon Newness and Siposs will come of age this year.
Nice to get the win though hey!
Armo is a force. Love it.

Roos is an old hanging boob of a disgrace.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Man, the radio has seen different to a lot of posters in this game!

Wright, Roberton, Ross, Newnes.... All got complimented on their games. But it was said Maister was beaten by Richards?!

Armitage, doing what I have always thought he could do.... Play good footy. In all the games thus far this season, I have rated him about th best.... It seems to be the case again. Mac seems to hav played well

Maister was very good but so was richards IMO. Ross and Newnes were OK but we got took control when Fisher came on and Joey and Armo took over the middle. Wright looks good and Roberton had -plenty but I reckon he just lacks a bit. They cant all play down back and Gilbert was really good today.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Man, the radio has seen different to a lot of posters in this game!

My obs was Wright and Roberton were quite good. Ross poor first half but worked himself into it. Newnes a couple of brave moments early but faded. Maister provided a contest. Not many touches but rarely outmarked. Actually brought ball to ground when two on him a number of times. He was crucial to the successful games from Saad and TDL. Mac/Hickey combo looked good. Armo probably only bettered by Joey's game.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Richards killed Maister early but Maister made a good come back in the 2nd half.
Richards is masterful at pushing players under the ball in the marking contest and not giving away the free.
At least Maister always presents.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 03 Mar 2013 8:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Armo looks very fit and while still early, it looks like he has put himself in a good position to take the next step. ie A grader.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The only thing i'd question with Hickey is his kicking.......

His shot on goal looked awkward

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Armo looks very fit and while still early, it looks like he has put himself in a good position to take the next step. ie A grader.
Showed leadership today, ie playing well when the game was up for grabs. 8-)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Maister was ok as the No1 Banana up forward today.

His role this year will be to be the No2/3 Banana and his showing that he should be most handy at it.

As a big forward he does many things well and will be a good complement to Roo. If they double team Roo, Maister is good enough to make the opposition pay. Upside to this is Roo will often be one on one this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SunburySaint
Club Player

I was at the game and from what I saw I would have to agree with p66.... Roberton was ok but lacked something... needs some more bulk

Now lives in Geelong...
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Maister was ok as the No1 Banana up forward today.

His role this year will be to be the No2/3 Banana and his showing that he should be most handy at it.

As a big forward he does many things well and will be a good complement to Roo. If they double team Roo, Maister is good enough to make the opposition pay. Upside to this is Roo will often be one on one this year.
For mine, the question mark will be if the guys will continue to look for him when Roo makes an appearance.

That has been the issue in the past, that they are very Roo concious.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Disagree with your last comment, I thought Wrights game was the best first game I've seen from a young saint in a long while
Wright was super and im really impressed and excited with him but technically its not his first game.
He had the howler v port :D :D
(And i really only regard games as actual games - not nab cup)

So imo he is still 'yet to debut' but shows some talent for sure!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SunburySaint wrote:I was at the game and from what I saw I would have to agree with p66.... Roberton was ok but lacked something... needs some more bulk
Seeing we got him for free we cant expect a ready made gun.

But Ill take Roberton for free any day of the week. Developing player who shows enough to keep persisting with.

SunburySaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SunburySaint wrote:I was at the game and from what I saw I would have to agree with p66.... Roberton was ok but lacked something... needs some more bulk
Seeing we got him for free we cant expect a ready made gun.

But Ill take Roberton for free any day of the week. Developing player who shows enough to keep persisting with.
You are right he does show a bit... But if we think he is a ready made replacement we are wrong! Needs a couple of years to build up a bit of bulk... As we got him for nothing it's a risk worth taking

Now lives in Geelong...
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why does he need more bulk?? Is he going to be a KPD??

What did he lack?? Something is a vague term..... Polish, hardness, awareness, disposal, defensive pressure, clean hands, composure????

It Wasn't finding it... He was a leading possession winner?!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:The only thing i'd question with Hickey is his kicking.......

ruckmen and shots on goal have been an awkward mix since moses was a boy so not sure i can bag him on that front. :D

SunburySaint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Why does he need more bulk?? Is he going to be a KPD??

What did he lack?? Something is a vague term..... Polish, hardness, awareness, disposal, defensive pressure, clean hands, composure????

It Wasn't finding it... He was a leading possession winner?!
Well if he is being groomed as a KPD he needs more bulk..if he is being groomed as a HBF he needs more ticker... He does lack the polish aswell.... For me it comes down to what he is being groomed as..

Now lives in Geelong...
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

51 inside 50's for 9 marks

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Also 201 kicks to 99 handballs - has Scotty told them to kick more and handball less??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bobmurray wrote:The only thing i'd question with Hickey is his kicking.......

ruckmen and shots on goal have been an awkward mix since moses was a boy so not sure i can bag him on that front. :D
I like McEvoy lining up for goal

Seeya