Pick 14

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 14

What evidence is there that Milera is 'flashy'? Or is just that all indigenous players are supposedly 'flashy'? There is no way that Parish or Matho could kick 5 goals in a senior SANFL game
I have no problem getting Matho if we want an another clearance player as we are very weak in clearances.
But a midfield of Matho, Armo, Dunstan, Ross, Acres looks treacle slow. Steven cant do it all by himself and at this stage Freeman hasnt yet played a single game.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Con Gorozidis wrote: I have no problem getting Matho if we want an another clearance player as we are very weak in clearances.
You ignored my above post? How dare you (just kidding)! :D

Con, the stats actually show that our midfielders are quite adept at clearing the ball.
In 2015, we averaged 35.1 clearances/game vs the top team, which was Freo with 41.8 clearances - but Freo averaged 19.3 more hitouts/game than us.
So despite averaging 19.3 more hitouts (58.5 vs 39.2), Freo only averaged 6.7 more clearances/game.

You could therefore even argue our midfield is more efficient than theirs at clearing the ball?

SMS
Club Player

Gresham.

Gun. Fast skillful and a true midfielder.

Gresham and freeman is awesome.

Gresham would almost be top 5 if he was 6cm taller. 6cm?? So what! He will be a gun. Im happy we are getting him.

Gresham
Matho
Oliver
Clarke

One of those 4 we should be happy with.
All midfielders and Vic boys.

1 of them should be there at our pick.

Imo gresham is better than darcy parish he will be a much better player
Love his hardness and quickness. We are building a team of head over the ball players its great.

SMS
Club Player

Collins is slow and not argletic. A beast YES who has been massarcing kids. Big deal. Carlisle is a gun. I know it may seem bad now but he will be our chb premiership player.

And whats this BS about gresham being slow?? Wtf?? He is fast as!!!

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

SMS wrote:Collins is slow and not argletic. A beast YES who has been massarcing kids. Big deal. Carlisle is a gun. I know it may seem bad now but he will be our chb premiership player.

And whats this BS about gresham being slow?? Wtf?? He is fast as!!!
Gresham is anything but slow. Not lightning but quicker tha most of the mooted #14 prospects.

A bit meh on Collins. Could be OK.

You are garbage - Enough said
ripplug66
Club Player

gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I still dont follow the Mathieson logic. Why do people think they are 'in the know' on this? Are our recruiters really telling people who they are going to pick before the draft? I find this hard to believe.
If we go Matho, does it mean we dont rate Dunstan, Acres or Ross as clearance players?

Totally agree. Those in the know mention so many things which to me suggests they are very good at guessing. As if a club would even slightly mention who we are after and as if thos in the know really work for the club. I find it quite funny.
It has been leaked by the club for weeks. It is a ploy so they can say, "we got Matho at 14 when we were going to pick him at 5" therefore Carlisle only cost us a second rounder".

As for ITK's they have got it right more than wrong. Dont like what they say put them on ignore. Really guys FFS its only football
Yeah, I reckon especially Moorabin Ghost is probably sanctioned by the media department. Seems to know way too much and sounds as if just off the inner circle of the recruiting department. If he was inside the club and leaking it would be shut down pretty quickly. He disappeared when the Carlisle s*** hit the fan then when they needed to do a bit of management all of a sudden started taking again. The whole we would have given 5 for matho thing seems like a carefully stage managed operation. They hardly tell us anything very likely to damage our position. Most other clubs probably rate Matho at around 12 to 20.

Forgetting those apparently ITK as I have grave doubts about most of the stuff but has the club come out and said we want Matheson. I would be shocked if they have. And he certainly was never a top 5 pick whatever spin people try to put on him. As you say he is rated about where you said which is exactly what windows Turner said today on SEN.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And that's why plugger, you've been proved incorrect before about drafting...

Every club that ever has a frdp just goes best player available

No one would be dumb enough to draft a type ... They are only interested in talent investment.

RavsterII
Club Player

As of now we really only need a midfielder and not a variational mid eg. DEF-MID or HFW-MID as we have so many.
if we could land:
Oliver
Mathieson
Gresham
Clarke
Partington

one of those and get rice it would be a successful draft
Rank those players i that order excluding those who are unlikely to be near 14.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So if we had pick 1

Who would you draft?

RavsterII
Club Player

BigMart wrote:So if we had pick 1

Who would you draft?
Well I really see a draft working like this:
1-12 Draft the best available
13-25 draft the best available and consider needs
25-40 consider needs
40+ draft best available
May vary at times but at pick 14 we should target the best available and draft our needs.TBH though the best available is likely going to be a mid as I see Balic, Mathieson and gresham as possibilities at those picks.

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:And that's why plugger, you've been proved incorrect before about drafting...

Every club that ever has a frdp just goes best player available

No one would be dumb enough to draft a type ... They are only interested in talent investment.

Apart from you just saying completely untrue words can you tell me when I have been proven incorrect about drafting previously? I expect no answer or just more words just like your next line that every club that has a FRDP just goes for the best player. That is just made up. We have no clue if that is true. Of course some teams draft a type or are you telling me Hawthorn at pick 18 don't but Carlton at pick 19 do because its a second rounder. What rot. Just to prove how silly your statement is what if Melbourne had 2 ruckmen the calibre of Sandilands and Goldstein and at pick 3 and 4 this year the best players are ruckman. Do you honestly think they would be silly enough to draft both?

Now I look forward to you showing me proof why I'm incorrect about drafting previously. Should be good.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I have a feeling we might go for Ryan Burton...

Was a considered #1 before he broke leg, tall forward hopefully mid type... Sounds like a stringer type. Pick 14 might be high enough to take the punt....!

Just a feeling.

silverhalo
Club Player

Spinner wrote:I have a feeling we might go for Ryan Burton...

Was a considered #1 before he broke leg, tall forward hopefully mid type... Sounds like a stringer type. Pick 14 might be high enough to take the punt....!

Just a feeling.
He's an SA boy so the go home factor will always be a worry and he had a shocking broken leg which he's still working his way back from but I would definitely still take him if he was there at our pick - he look's great!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Who would you draft?
Thats a very difficult question. The answer would have been best available - Weitering - but after all the trouble we went to for Carlisle and McCartin it would be a real tough one. I do like the look of Burton, Milera, Oliver, Keays and Mills though.

Some good articles here:

Smokies article
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 7603317358

Clayton Oliver article
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/trading-an ... ktljo.html

Parish & Mathieson article
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/trading-an ... ktufu.html

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Who would you draft?
Mathieson

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:

Who would you draft?
Mathieson

lol.

As for picking best available

Richmond chose Tambling over Franklin. Most explicit example of selecting a player because of other reason not just best available.

You are garbage - Enough said
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

so according to ITK (new buzz word) we will pick up Mathieson. Let's see!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bought and read emma Quayles book (all the saints sections) and every meeting Richo was in he asked about speed, demanded speed, said we had enough inside, likes how inside is developing and wanted speed some more.

I think Ameet is even quoted as saying our rankings for last year were weighted towards mids with speed.

What's changed? McKenzie and Freeman?

Btw trout absolutely fell in love with Mckenzie. Just to paint a picture of how happy he would have been to be able to call his name out.

Great read

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote:Bought and read emma Quayles book (all the saints sections) and every meeting Richo was in he asked about speed, demanded speed, said we had enough inside, likes how inside is developing and wanted speed some more.

I think Ameet is even quoted as saying our rankings for last year were weighted towards mids with speed.

What's changed? McKenzie and Freeman?

Btw trout absolutely fell in love with Mckenzie. Just to paint a picture of how happy he would have been to be able to call his name out.

Great read
What book is this? Sound interesting.

silverhalo
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:so according to ITK (new buzz word) we will pick up Mathieson. Let's see!
Hope not, doesn't suit our needs.....we need outside run.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the logic is if we can win more clearances we can get the ball in the hands of Webster, Savage, McKenzie and Freeman more regularly and also free up Jack Steven a bit more so that we can then be more damaging?

But on the surface a midfield of Ross, Acres, Armo, Matho, Dunstan, Sinclair looks a bit crab like for my liking. Lots of sideways movement there. A bit same same. Too many similar types to be damaging.

If the ITK rumour is true, the idea of getting emotionally attached to a particular player (Matho) before the end of the season and well before the draft is also a bit of a worry for mine. Especially when guys like Oliver and Milera finished the season off so strongly. It would be unprofessional if we had already fallen in love with Matho in July/August with the season still running.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:
So if we had pick 1

Who would you draft?
If there were no Academy selections?

Jacob Hopper - best available IMO - and just about the best mid.

Hold your ground :shock:
joeyjohnw
Club Player

I don't know if this is notable to anybody.. But Matho is a confirmed Saints supporter along with Eric Hipwood and Darcy Tucker. Not a huge deal I guess but it might be why apparently like him so much; he'll be dedicated from day 1, already loves the club. Hipwood Tucker Matho are rated 14-15-16 in the draft by Callum Twomey

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

joeyjohnw wrote:I don't know if this is notable to anybody.. But Matho is a confirmed Saints supporter along with Eric Hipwood and Darcy Tucker. Not a huge deal I guess but it might be why apparently like him so much; he'll be dedicated from day 1, already loves the club. Hipwood Tucker Matho are rated 14-15-16 in the draft by Callum Twomey
Let them all go to Collingwood and we can have them in two years.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"