Milne and OBrien investigation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milne and OBrien investigation

markp wrote: And Harry O was going out with that Fuzzy chick for a long time, so while context may be relevant I don't think it comes into play here.
"Fuzzy" sounds a bit derogatory there markp.

Unless of course you try to tell me that's her name :shock: :wink: :P

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Nothing will come of it

I hope you are right on this one Plugger.

Nothing would surprise me coming from the very PC league and its fat emperor.

me either...the club fined him ffs..... :roll:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... 23x50.html

"STEPHEN Milne was last night fined $3000 by St Kilda after an AFL investigation concluded he had made homophobic comments on-field for the second time in his career."

and plugga wrong again?????....noooooo :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Nothing will come of it but i have no idea why Milney would even say it. He has said it twice now to pies players. Surely he is smart enough to come up with something better than that. That is 10 year old sledging.
Not cool, but the world changed after Milney started playing, and I guess he got left behind, along with most players I'd imagine and also plenty of us by reading this thread. Not really that upset about it, but if we are serious about stamping out discrimination, then I guess that sort of thing has to go.

If Harry didn't complain, then I've no idea why it's even an issue, but it's no surprise why it's found it's way to a Herald Sun headline story. Christ I hate that paper and the power that Collingwood has. But we just have to be smarter by making sure they can't hurt us, and that includes not giving them stories.

yep....gotta agree with that...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
gringo wrote: The problem is that Chris Lilley is the representation of the true Australia. If you hear people speak in the real world it's more Chris Lilley than Adrian Anderson. The problem with going too far with the PC stuff is when people go "hang on this is stupid" and you actually get people thinking this is all pretending and I'm not a bad person. They are getting a backlash now and undoing a lot of the good things they have done. The AFL publicised the issue as a way of looking like they are being proactive and inclusive but have probably done more damage than good.

I'm a big lefty and have a strong belief in allowing human rights for all but sometimes the idiots in power don't get it. It show not reality and as such they have probably burnt heaps. People are sympathetic in general to minorities in Australia but like when some Imam comes out demanding Sharia law in Australia, some thing just make the masses recoil. Poorly thought out grandstanding.
+1 gringo.

I usually recoil at the kneejerk "political correctness gone mad" retort that automatically comes from a bigots mouth when someone like Andrew Bolt discriminates on the basis of skin colour

"Things Bogans Like" nailed it

http://thingsboganslike.com/2009/12/03/ ... -gone-mad/

However like you gringo, I think this issue is way too far and way too controlling. As you say it undoes much of the good that has been achieved.

I like the fact that Milne is being sent to a re-education camp - oops I mean course, so he can become a non thinking conformist sanatised automaton.

The politburo at Soviet AFL orthodoxy will be well pleased with their new apparatchik.

All hail dear leader Demetriou :shock:

Love things bogans like. But does that make me a bogan now? I need some energy drinks and back reels of the Andrew Bolt report.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

villasaint wrote:I would have preferred for him to just keep his mouth shut last weekend. His ill discipline cost us 2 50m penalties. I'm more concerned how they affected us on the day than what happens to him now.

and a goal...or two....unfortunately...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I know he is no angel, but is Milney a scapegoat or what?

I reckon the players would be thinking this is total joke. What next? A 10K fine for calling Will Minson a dumb arsed moron? He is.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Were lucky it wasn't Bakes that made the off the cuff remark, he would of been shot by firing squad.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

George Orwell only got the year wrong, the "thought police" are very much in control in the AFL.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Seriously, we all love Milney but we've all also heard him speak.

Therefore the biggest mystery is how anyone can unequivocally say that they know what he said.

Sufferin' succotash :roll:

PJ
SS Life Member

I'd like the umpires to come out and say that they apply this consistently whenever they hear any inappropriate comments. Surely they need to do this given that players are now saying that this happens all the time.

If the public is going to take this stance seriously it needs to be reinforced as a non negotiable or risk appearing reactionary to any media hiccup that makes them look less PC.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
villasaint wrote:I would have preferred for him to just keep his mouth shut last weekend. His ill discipline cost us 2 50m penalties. I'm more concerned how they affected us on the day than what happens to him now.

I understand why he probably got himself so emotionally up prior to the match, probably felt he had a point to prove v the Pies..

Not saying he needs to change the way he goes about it, but probably fair to say if he hears the umpires warning him, that he has to try a bit harder to settle.

Else he'll find himself in a similar situation to BJ a few weeks ago, where players know they can get under his skin.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
stinger wrote:

I understand why he probably got himself so emotionally up prior to the match, probably felt he had a point to prove v the Pies..

Not saying he needs to change the way he goes about it, but probably fair to say if he hears the umpires warning him, that he has to try a bit harder to settle.

Else he'll find himself in a similar situation to BJ a few weeks ago, where players know they can get under his skin.
Players know a bit more about both Milne & O’Brien after all of this, however we’ll be the ones worse off, eg

Get under Milney's skin - puts Milne off his game, Milne calls you a name and Milne gets hammered by the AFL

Get under Harry's skin - puts Harry off his game, Harry tells the ump you called him a name and you get hammered by the AFL.

In other words players would also know how to get under Harry's skin but will be most reluctant to try anything.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't want to be a cynic but last week they had Pocock from the Wallabies on Q and A on the ABC he is like a more knowledgable and more ethical version of a politician with strong views on a range of human rights issues. He was eloquent and lived the way he talked. He isn't marrying his girlfriend until his gay friends can legally marry. The AFL was represented by Micky O and while he came across as a good bloke he just said I agree with him mostly.

My feeling is the AFL watched that show and thought Rugby is getting ahead of us in the good guy stakes lets have a little show that can get us looking like we are on he front foot with the issue. Send out our flying monkeys and bring us a the first person that vilifies a homosexual and we will chastise them and every one will see we still have the moral high ground over the other codes.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I don't want to be a cynic but last week they had Pocock from the Wallabies on Q and A on the ABC he is like a more knowledgable and more ethical version of a politician with strong views on a range of human rights issues. He was eloquent and lived the way he talked. He isn't marrying his girlfriend until his gay friends can legally marry. The AFL was represented by Micky O and while he came across as a good bloke he just said I agree with him mostly.

My feeling is the AFL watched that show and thought Rugby is getting ahead of us in the good guy stakes lets have a little show that can get us looking like we are on he front foot with the issue. Send out our flying monkeys and bring us a the first person that vilifies a homosexual and we will chastise them and every one will see we still have the moral high ground over the other codes.
All well and good except that as far as I can tell no homosexual was villified :(

SainterJ

Margetts must have spent the whole of Sunday trying to work out how he could justify his appalling decision making and deflect attention away from himself!

Is Milney the new Stevie Baker? How much has he been fined now for calling someone an old man and another person an effing homo? The AFL is a disgrace. They fail to protect him and then persecute him for sins way less IMO than have been carried out against him. What action have the AFL or opposition Cubs taken against opposition supporters who taunt Milney? NONE. Who else in the history of the game has been fined for calling people names that did not include racism? In fact I am pretty sure the AFL has not found any offence in other words used in racist taunts.

Has the precedent now been set? Will this be the new money making machine of the AFL, $millions in fines because people take offence.

My message to the AFL is SHAME SHAME SHAME. St Kilda Football Club can acknowledge that the word used is not nice, but its time they stood up for their own and fought back.

SainterJ

Dr Spaceman wrote:
gringo wrote:I don't want to be a cynic but last week they had Pocock from the Wallabies on Q and A on the ABC he is like a more knowledgable and more ethical version of a politician with strong views on a range of human rights issues. He was eloquent and lived the way he talked. He isn't marrying his girlfriend until his gay friends can legally marry. The AFL was represented by Micky O and while he came across as a good bloke he just said I agree with him mostly.

All well and good except that as far as I can tell no homosexual was villified :(

Exactly!

St Kilda need to raise all of the issues from this game OFFICIALLY. Enough is enought.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterJ wrote: My message to the AFL is SHAME SHAME SHAME. St Kilda Football Club can acknowledge that the word used is not nice, but its time they stood up for their own and fought back.
As I’ve already said a couple of times:

Dr Spaceman wrote: As harmless as it probably was, and as unfazed as O'Brien seems to be, a St Kilda attack on the AFL would simply be portrayed by the media as "Saints fight for the right to use homophobic taunts".

No matter how untrue that is, it would nonetheless be a public relations disaster in these times of struggling sponsorship and membership.

markp
Saintsational Legend

This almost reeks of the afl laying in wait... a non-homosexual 'vilified' so they can deal with it before needing to 'out' a gay player who may be vilified in the future.

And if it's a St Kilda serial pest they're making an example of, then all the better.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Dane Swan suspended for 2 weeks for being smashed of his face.... Laughable umpiring cost us a chance of winning the game in the final term.... 8-0 last quarter free kicks. Milne is penalised with 50m for abusive language to another player... which isn't even in the 50m rule guidelines anyway(look it up) so the umpire was wrong again, and yet by the end of the week the media isn't talking about Dane Swan at all or the disgraceful level of umpiring on Saturday night and St.Kilda has successfully been made to look rough around the edges and Milney has been dragged through the mud and publicly flogged.

Disgraceful... Especially when you think of the things that were yelled out at Milne on Saturday night... and every single weekend I go to the footy for that matter. Utterly disgraceful.

Maklom
Club Player

What is more worrying about this is the outcome by the club. Does our club seriously have little to no balls or brains right now?

So many things to hark up about like:

Why did they fine him?
Couldn't they let the AFL do that?
Why shoot one of their own?
How was he proven guilty?
Why has this gone so far considering it was not part of a player mediation?

Did they at least ask some questions about the validity of the investigation and persecution before they slammed it all on Milney?

I don't care if we lost but please someone tell me we put up a fight this time!!!

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I'd say the AFL made it known that if the club didn't take action then it would do it on the club's behalf. More than likely any AFL sanction would have been much more severe than a club sanction so the club did what it did to appease the AFL.
While it's all well and good to say we should have fought it to stick it up the AFL, if we've learnt one thing over the years it's that if you take on the AFL you can't win.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Maklom
Club Player

When have we taken on the AFL...ever?

We are their bitch, one of a few actually. It is a shame.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Maklom wrote:When have we taken on the AFL...ever?

Pretty sure we did with Foschini & Morwood (VFL back then of course).

We got the players in the end but I don't know that it endeared us to them all that much.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

and the red hot poker gets shoved another inch.......

swan peaking of his face
nothing

player gets called a homo
isnt offended in the slightest

but the umpire is??????????
milney gets f***ed over

do me a favor

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Maklom wrote:When have we taken on the AFL...ever?

We've bent over and taken it again, like a **** homo

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!