Any Ideas for Captain 2013?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Any Ideas for Captain 2013?

MCG-Unit wrote:NICK Riewoldt has been appointed St Kilda captain for an eighth season.
The Saints confirmed Riewoldt would continue in the role for a seventh consecutive year, making him the longest-serving current AFL captain.

He will once again be joined in the Saints’ leadership group by Leigh Montagna, Nick Dal Santo, Ben McEvoy and James Gwilt as well as new additions Sean Dempster, Jarryn Geary and David Armitage.

The Saints have also implemented a leadership development program that will see Lenny Hayes, Stephen Milne, Justin Koschitzke, Sam Fisher and Jason Blake supporting the leadership group.
The program will also mentor players who are part of the Emerging Leaders Group.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-01-3 ... ed-captain

Is there anyone without a leadership or mentor role?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:NICK Riewoldt has been appointed St Kilda captain for an eighth season.
The Saints confirmed Riewoldt would continue in the role for a seventh consecutive year, making him the longest-serving current AFL captain.

He will once again be joined in the Saints’ leadership group by Leigh Montagna, Nick Dal Santo, Ben McEvoy and James Gwilt as well as new additions Sean Dempster, Jarryn Geary and David Armitage.

The Saints have also implemented a leadership development program that will see Lenny Hayes, Stephen Milne, Justin Koschitzke, Sam Fisher and Jason Blake supporting the leadership group.
The program will also mentor players who are part of the Emerging Leaders Group.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-01-3 ... ed-captain
Is there anyone without a leadership or mentor role?
Edit: Apparently only the 4 Rookies (Curren is in the 'Emerging Leaders' group) and the 5 young draftees.....
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Sat 02 Feb 2013 4:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I haven't read all the pages, but whoever said Rooey was right on the money. Cheers

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:At this point I'd say Riewoldt is guaranteed to keep it.
Since you ask, looks like I was first.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Re: Many Ideas for Captain/Leadership 2013

Full article:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6567732524

ST KILDA pioneered co-captaincy in the 1990s and introduced captaincy rotation a decade ago, but under Scott Watters' coaching the Saints are employing a leadership model inspired by the all-conquering Hockeyroos.

St Kilda's structure involves 19 players spread across three leadership tiers: Leaders, Emerging Leaders and Mentors.
"I always watched with interest and admired what Ric Charlesworth was doing as coach of the Australian women's hockey team in the early 1990s," Watters said..........

..........Watters implemented the structure last season and believes it is starting to pay off.
The Saints have a group of six mentors with 1305 games experience between them, one of whom attends meetings of the Leadership group (twice a week) and Emerging Leaders (weekly).

"Every player on the list has a responsibility to lead.
"It's not just about the captain or even the leadership group, it's far broader than that. I'm not even concerned who tosses the coin on match day. In many ways it's one of the great traditions of the game, but it's not something that drives the group and their program," Watters said.
"It's the leadership throughout the week, throughout the game, after a win, after a loss, during training. They're the things that are critical."

The Saints are looking to fast-track the development of their younger players.
"We now have 26 players aged under 23 on our list, and 21 of those have really come in over the past 12 months. So it's a list that has some outstanding experienced leaders, but it also has some players who are pretty new to the system.
"So the more we get interaction between those two groups I think it helps bridge that gap," Watters said.

LEADERSHIP GROUP (8)
Nick Riewoldt (capt), Leigh Montagna, Nick Dal Santo, Ben McEvoy, James Gwilt, Jarryn Geary, David Armitage, Sean Dempster

EMERGING LEADERS (5)
Sam Dunnell, Jack Newnes, Arryn Siposs, Tom Curren, Seb Ross.

MENTORS (6)
Lenny Hayes, Sam Fisher, Justin Koschitzke, Jason Blake, Stephen Milne, Adam Schneider.

Steven must be between the Emerging Leaders & the Leadership Group.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:"We now have 26 players aged under 23 on our list, and 21 of those have really come in over the past 12 months"
"It's a great little car, practically unused, it was owned by a little old lady and she only drove it around the corner to church on sundays…"
He talks good.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:"We now have 26 players aged under 23 on our list, and 21 of those have really come in over the past 12 months"
"It's a great little car, practically unused, it was owned by a little old lady and she only drove it around the corner to church on sundays…"
He talks good.
Sounds like a good salesman, marketer.

Have they really had 21 new players (U23) come on board in the last year? I just quickly counted about 20, wouldn't have thought there were that many.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

When Ben was Cox age he had much better stats than Cox. I would guess he had much better than Sandilands as well. Now instead of lying prove me wrong with some sort of fact.

My point is ben was as good as them and I still say better at thir age and look how good those 2 have been since. If you were following their side you would have wanted another ruckman to replace both of them before they reached their full potential. And Kosi I said a person would be on drugs if they thought Ben was better than Cox and sandilands now.
You actually said Ben had much better stats, at least I think so but you mangled that sentence so much who knows? But you can never be wrong if you keep claiming you didn't say stuff even when you did.

Have no idea why you have it in for me but I happy to admit when I am wrong. I have no idea about the stats part. May have said it. I know I said I thought Ben was better than Cox and sandilands at his age. I stick by it. Its only an opinion anyway. I never said Ben was better than Cox and sandilands now and said a person who thinks that must be on drugs.

Im sorry for sticking up for a player who I think has done a great job for someone so young. I mean it really is illogical thinking Hickey will be first ruckman at the end of the year based on about 98% of ruckmen over the last 20 years. Cant remember to many ruckmen being first ruck after their 3rd year.[/quote]

Looks like Hickey might be our No#1 ruckmen now.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Geary captain
Rhys to step up to be the #1 ruckman.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Still happy with my choice, never thought Ben.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Still happy with my choice, never thought Ben.

Well done. When was Geary made Captain?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Are you trying to be provoking?

This is an opinion site isn't it?

Never said he was, would be, it's just my opinion

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Are you trying to be provoking?

This is an opinion site isn't it?

Never said he was, would be, it's just my opinion

Never said you couldnt have an opinion. Just asked if he was captain now seen as you wanted to tell us you never thought of Ben.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Good grief plugs...I was making the point that lots of people today lamented we lost someone lauded to be next captain, that was what made it so shocking.

I don't get the shock, I don't get how he was touted as one...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Good grief plugs...I was making the point that lots of people today lamented we lost someone lauded to be next captain, that was what made it so shocking.

I don't get the shock, I don't get how he was touted as one...

Probably because he has been in the leadership group for the last 2 years and was the youngest in it 2 years ago. Does that make sense to you? The club obviously thought he was a chance to be captain and by the way hardly anyone has said that losing him is shocking because he may have been our next captain. i reckon 3 at the most said it.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Do you go on twitter?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Do you go on twitter?

No not really. I dont follow any saints players except Lenny and chips. And i hardly ever look at it.