Saints V swans

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints V swans

BigMart wrote:Why does he need more bulk?? Is he going to be a KPD??

What did he lack?? Something is a vague term..... Polish, hardness, awareness, disposal, defensive pressure, clean hands, composure????

It Wasn't finding it... He was a leading possession winner?!
Polish
Clean hands
Clean disposal
Composure

All lacking for mine.
Looked like a short Blake.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote:Also 201 kicks to 99 handballs - has Scotty told them to kick more and handball less??
yeah I saw that, I cant say I noticed a kick at all costs game plan
and kick totals between us and the swans were not that dissimilar
I think the swans JUST hand ball more
where did you get the inside 50's from?

Seeya
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was at the game and where I was i didn't realise wright got so much of it. He did a couple of plays that looked outstanding but i thought he only got about 7 possessions. Joey came into the game late but was only just doing enough early. Fisher really is one of the most underrated guys in the afl. He just controls the play for us from there. Armo is looking amazing he has that rugby style side stepping and tackling that makes your eyes water. I always thought he might be a better version of Luke Ball and he now looks like he could.

Roberton looks slow but is very good at positioning and knows when he needs to leave his man. TDL, Milera and Saad are hard to tell apart at times and are all pretty capable. Hickey is going to be good. Rhys is so freakin fast- he closed in on one of the Sydney forwards and caused the turn over when it looked like he was too far away.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Also 201 kicks to 99 handballs - has Scotty told them to kick more and handball less??
yeah I saw that, I cant say I noticed a kick at all costs game plan
and kick totals between us and the swans were not that dissimilar
I think the swans JUST hand ball more
where did you get the inside 50's from?
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/nab- ... /stk-v-syd

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SunburySaint wrote:

What did he lack?? Something is a vague term..... Polish, hardness, awareness, disposal, defensive pressure, clean hands, composure????

Well if he is being groomed as a KPD he needs more bulk..if he is being groomed as a HBF he needs more ticker... He does lack the polish aswell.... For me it comes down to what he is being groomed as..

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

On Wright's form, don't be surprised if he plays at least a dozen games in his first year. We've really got one here. He's tough, beautifully balanced and he reads the game like a seasoned player. No need to worry about a replacement for Jason Gram.

Maister is such a hard worker and it's pleasing to see the amount of hard running he does. He's much fitter than hen he first arrived at the club. He's also strong in the contest and has fine second efforts. Pencil him in for the season.

Newnes is tough for his age. Still coming to grips with the tempo of AFL, but he does enough to give you confidence in his future. He'll make it, and once he does, he'll be one of those solid, dependable types.

Ross looked all at sea for the first three quarters, but seemed to come into it a bit late in the game. It's hard to see where he'll go from here, as he has shown nothing remarkable in his very few performances. A long way to go if today's performance is any indication. Please prove me wrong.

Ledger can find the football, and he reads the ball very well at the centre bounces. He's energetic and busy. However, he's shown that his decision making is hesitant. If he can improve in that area, he might just be a handy player

Roberton was sloppy early, but actually played a pretty good game. A taller version of Farren Ray, although not quite as quick.

Hickey will be an outstanding tap ruckman. The most natural ruckman we have picked up in a very long time. A lot to get excited about with this guy.

felix
Club Player

Saad's offensive and defensive skills are outstanding along with his accuracy and party tricks he is on target to be the most exciting forward in the game, when he gets the ball something usually good happens .

matrix
Saintsational Legend

is it worth me starting from page one?

how many times has numpty posted in here?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

Polish
Clean hands
Clean disposal
Composure

All lacking for mine.
Looked like a short Blake.
Except hes 3 or 4 cm taller than Blake. He was shaky and a bit lost early for sure but toward the end I dare say he was almost running rampage and was hitting targets.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
BigMart wrote:Man, the radio has seen different to a lot of posters in this game!

Wright, Roberton, Ross, Newnes.... All got complimented on their games. But it was said Maister was beaten by Richards?!

Wright had 15 touches halfway through the last! Roberton nearly 20.

Armitage, doing what I have always thought he could do.... Play good footy. In all the games thus far this season, I have rated him about th best.... It seems to be the case again. Mac seems to hav played well
My obs was Wright and Roberton were quite good. Ross poor first half but worked himself into it. Newnes a couple of brave moments early but faded. Maister provided a contest. Not many touches but rarely outmarked. Actually brought ball to ground when two on him a number of times. He was crucial to the successful games from Saad and TDL. Mac/Hickey combo looked good. Armo probably only bettered by Joey's game.

I didn't hear much of the game but i thought i heard that ross came on in the 3rd quarter a a sub?

not true?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Ross played the whole game. Blake, Fisher and Ledger were our three subs.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

The Linton Street Flash wrote:Saints almost at full strength says Russell - where is Steven hayes, roo, schneids, kosi, fish, dal, blake, simpkin, milne? are any of these playing?
This irked me too, if you are going to be a commentator then do your research! As much as Bruce McAvaney can be annoying atleast he gets the facts right!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Ross played the whole game. Blake, Fisher and Ledger were our three subs.

who did they replace?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Ross played the whole game. Blake, Fisher and Ledger were our three subs.

who did they replace?
Dempster, Stanley and not sure....maybe Dunnel going by the TOG?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Where did you pickup the time on ground K?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Where did you pickup the time on ground K?
The AFL gives full stats on the NAB cup matches Baz.

Here...

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/nab- ... /stk-v-syd

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Reasonably promising game overall - we didn't have a lot of kids out there, but it was pretty much the St Kilda B-team. Had 8 certain starters out and a few others who could push for round one selection.

Armitage really looks like he could step up and become a 25 possession midfielder this year. He has trimmed down and built his endurance while retaining plenty of strength and aggression. Also looks very composed with the footy and uses it well.

Beaumaister has probably gone ahead of Kosi. His pack marking and goalkicking isn't as good, but he did brilliantly to bring the ball to ground all day for the crumbers when outnumbered and receiving poor delivery. His first, second and third efforts are fantastic and he provides some genuine defensive pressure. 15+ games this year for sure.

TDL has some skills and I'd have him ahead of Milera at this stage. He's much stronger, more reliable kicking for goal and better overhead. He needs to work on getting a bit more of the footy around the ground but he will at least keep the pressure on the small forwards to perform.

Ferguson performed ok in defence but isn't at AFL level yet. If he learns the defensive game a bit better over the year in the VFL and provides a bit more offensive drive then he could be in line for a promotion for 2014.

Wright showed some signs but won't have more than a cameo role this year. Runs and contests well, but needs to work on his disposal. Could get a few games as sub.

Hickey does some very impressive things, though I'd imagine he'd still be beaten comfortably by most AFL ruckmen. I'm confident that he will be a dominant player in a few years time, but for now he's a useful second option. Could work on his second efforts and disposal around the ground.

Saad is looking very fit and should have a huge year.

Gilbert did some good things but is still a terrible user of the ball. He needs to get his tackling back to where it used to be to justify selection.

Roberton hasn't done much to impress me. Fumbles a bit too much and gets beaten one on one. He could fill in, but needs serious improvement to challenge for a regular spot.

Newnes has been ok but I don't see the reason for all the hype. He does everything ok, but still lacks a few kgs and doesn't have any outstanding attributes right now. He looks like he'll be on track to become a solid half back who can rotate through the midfield, but not an A-grader as so many on here seem certain of.

Ledger again didn't get much of a go and seemed rushed when he did come on. I'd really like to see him given full games rather than quick cameo appearances at the end of matches where he desperately tries to make a quick impression.

Dunell was ok but didn't have the same polish he showed last year. It should come back with match practice.

Jones was Jones. Got a bit of the ball and wasted it. Should not play a senior game unless we have crippling injuries to the midfield.

Siposs was damaging every time he got the ball but drifted in and out of the game. He'll need to learn to cope with more attention this year.

Stanley looked ok in his brief stint before getting injured. I don't think our planning can include Rhys; if he plays it is a bonus. I don't think he is strong enough at the moment to support his massive frame.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think Roberton is trying too hard, which I'm actually OK with as a quality...just needs to keep up the intensity, but relax a little and play his game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Reasonably promising game overall - we didn't have a lot of kids out there, but it was pretty much the St Kilda B-team. Had 8 certain starters out and a few others who could push for round one selection.

Armitage really looks like he could step up and become a 25 possession midfielder this year. He has trimmed down and built his endurance while retaining plenty of strength and aggression. Also looks very composed with the footy and uses it well.

Beaumaister has probably gone ahead of Kosi. His pack marking and goalkicking isn't as good, but he did brilliantly to bring the ball to ground all day for the crumbers when outnumbered and receiving poor delivery. His first, second and third efforts are fantastic and he provides some genuine defensive pressure. 15+ games this year for sure.

TDL has some skills and I'd have him ahead of Milera at this stage. He's much stronger, more reliable kicking for goal and better overhead. He needs to work on getting a bit more of the footy around the ground but he will at least keep the pressure on the small forwards to perform.

Ferguson performed ok in defence but isn't at AFL level yet. If he learns the defensive game a bit better over the year in the VFL and provides a bit more offensive drive then he could be in line for a promotion for 2014.

Wright showed some signs but won't have more than a cameo role this year. Runs and contests well, but needs to work on his disposal. Could get a few games as sub.

Hickey does some very impressive things, though I'd imagine he'd still be beaten comfortably by most AFL ruckmen. I'm confident that he will be a dominant player in a few years time, but for now he's a useful second option. Could work on his second efforts and disposal around the ground.

Gilbert did some good things but is still a terrible user of the ball. He needs to get his tackling back to where it used to be to justify selection.

Roberton hasn't done much to impress me. Fumbles a bit too much and gets beaten one on one. He could fill in, but needs serious improvement to challenge for a regular spot.

Newnes has been ok but I don't see the reason for all the hype. He does everything ok, but still lacks a few kgs and doesn't have any outstanding attributes right now. He looks like he'll be on track to become a solid half back who can rotate through the midfield, but not an A-grader as so many on here seem certain of.

Ledger again didn't get much of a go and seemed rushed when he did come on. I'd really like to see him given full games rather than quick cameo appearances at the end of matches where he desperately tries to make a quick impression.

Dunell was ok but didn't have the same polish he showed last year. It should come back with match practice.

Jones was Jones. Got a bit of the ball and wasted it. Should not play a senior game unless we have crippling injuries to the midfield.

Siposs was damaging every time he got the ball but drifted in and out of the game. He'll need to learn to cope with more attention this year.

Stanley looked ok in his brief stint before getting injured. I don't think our planning can include Rhys; if he plays it is a bonus. I don't think he is strong enough at the moment to support his massive frame.

Being at the game you get to see how hard CJ works- I'd forgotten how much he just works every contest. He follows the ball from the backline through the midfield and into the forward line. He just keeps dishing or paddling the ball. Coaches would love him to be cleaner but jesus the guy works hard. If we could put CJs work ethic into Dals skills he would be the perfect footballer. He will probably keep getting games and looking messy because of that.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Being at the game you get to see how hard CJ works- I'd forgotten how much he just works every contest. He follows the ball from the backline through the midfield and into the forward line. He just keeps dishing or paddling the ball. Coaches would love him to be cleaner but jesus the guy works hard. If we could put CJs work ethic into Dals skills he would be the perfect footballer. He will probably keep getting games and looking messy because of that.
I really don't care how hard he works when he can't get the ball to a team mate. If we put Mark McGough's work ethic and ball winning ability with Sam Crocker's skills then you'd have a superstar. But that's not the case, they were two severely flawed players not up to AFL football and neither is Jones. He got by under Lyon when it was no issue for him to stop and chip the ball backwards 10m to one of our many loose players behind the ball, but that just doesn't work with the new game style. Also consider how ineffective his tagging now is and I see no reason for him to be in the side.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:So has anyone get anything constructive to say about the game as a whole. Haven't been able to watch it but can't seem to get much of an idea due to bickering and slanging on the game thread
your brother was bog for mine.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:Reasonably promising game overall - we didn't have a lot of kids out there, but it was pretty much the St Kilda B-team. Had 8 certain starters out and a few others who could push for round one selection.

Sooty but have to disagree with you, Newnes is a jet and will play every game this year unless injured. Wright had 17 disposal at 76% efficiency, he doesn't fumble and his work off the ball showed real footy smarts. Not sure what you expect from a 19yo kid

lefty
Club Player

Will Tommy Curren get a run this week?
Was sort of disappointed with his stats against Adelaide, but I didn't watch/see the game, was hoping to see what he's got.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Sooty but have to disagree with you, Newnes is a jet and will play every game this year unless injured. Wright had 17 disposal at 76% efficiency, he doesn't fumble and his work off the ball showed real footy smarts. Not sure what you expect from a 19yo kid
Wright was solid but not AFL standard yet. There's nothing wrong with that but people are getting a bit carried away, stating he's a readymade regular.

Newnes also was ok, but is a fair way off actually influencing the contest. He hasn't done anything a player like Leigh Fisher couldn't do

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:The only thing i'd question with Hickey is his kicking.......

His shot on goal looked awkward
Watche him on TV against Collingwood in the rain at the G last year. He was a one man forward line. He plays in the wet very well.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.