Saints homeward bound!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Re: Saints homeward bound!!

Heidelberg_Saint took a tour of the Ian Johnson Oval this afternoon and it's much closer to where the facilities would be than the map from The Age indicated. Very impressed.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Good work HS!

Now Seaford apolologist will say oh it doesnt matter where they train etc etc - but this is one (of many) of the reason why I am pro junction. People say players dont care - but im sure they do. We have no hope of pulling a bloke like Jake Carlisle - but if we were at the Junction - players would see us as very desirable. These guys are regular blokes (not robots) - youve got rocks in your head if you think they dont care where their daily workplace is and dont take it into account.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/j ... 7054459825

Saint wagga
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Good work HS!

Now Seaford apolologist will say oh it doesnt matter where they train etc etc - but this is one (of many) of the reason why I am pro junction. People say players dont care - but im sure they do. We have no hope of pulling a bloke like Jake Carlisle - but if we were at the Junction - players would see us as very desirable. These guys are regular blokes (not robots) - youve got rocks in your head if you think they dont care where their daily workplace is and dont take it into account.

Agree with you Con with regards to players caring where they have to go to train - Unfortunately all the players that have transitioned from Moorabin to Seaford and they're aren't that many left on the list all seem to say that Seaford is fine but they say it with a wry smile...all those behind the scenes clips, lunch with lenny, the challenge etc...thats where it gets sort of Joked around, the players dislike the travel to Seaford and that it's in the middle of knowhere. BJ was the most vocal critic but it was very much an in joke that came across. Unfortunately they've probably infected all the younger players with an anti Seaford mentality, and made them dislike it even though they never trained at Moorabin. I think its common sense though that players will much prefer being able to train somewhere close to town and therefore live closer to town with a better commute.

SideshowMilne
Club Player

Just a thought. I would imagine a footbridge is in order across lakeside drive to the oval. Great space for a rather large 'St Kilda' suburb/team wording sign that everyone drives under as they enter Bayside.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:

Agree with you Con with regards to players caring where they have to go to train - Unfortunately all the players that have transitioned from Moorabin to Seaford and they're aren't that many left on the list all seem to say that Seaford is fine but they say it with a wry smile...all those behind the scenes clips, lunch with lenny, the challenge etc...thats where it gets sort of Joked around, the players dislike the travel to Seaford and that it's in the middle of knowhere. BJ was the most vocal critic but it was very much an in joke that came across. Unfortunately they've probably infected all the younger players with an anti Seaford mentality, and made them dislike it even though they never trained at Moorabin. I think its common sense though that players will much prefer being able to train somewhere close to town and therefore live closer to town with a better commute.

Also it's the profile you get when you see the players up close. There is a primary school next door, all those kids see the players and get a sense of home team back. I see the Tigers players walking across Punt road and you can't help enjoying spotting elite players on the street. Same goes for Collingwood at Ghosh's paddock. Just a great way to involve people in the atmosphere of the club. Moorabin is even off the main road and Junction is just a very high profile spot with the Junction tram terminal, St Kilda Road and Fitzroy street St Kilda all in the area. You get all the GP perks and could potentially earn revenue leasing the facilities to corporates or just run it as a bar during that time for extra coin.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The Junction Oval area is a vibrant place- lots going on and top corporate exposure. Moorabbin around where we used to be based, is very quiet and off the radar a bit. The Seaford HQ area is like a ghost town around where we are currently based- I drove past last week when I was in Seaford and barely saw any signs of life apart from traffic on the freeway opposite.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting reading on the St.Kilda Park Primary facebook page.
It's worth a read in entirety, but here's a few selections.

" I was speaking with the AFL today and they have not passed on this information to Caroline Wilson, she has obtained a draft map from other sources and thus hasn’t acquired all the facts quite right.

And from the schools perspective;
"There would be a down side – restricted oval access for 10 – 15 hours a week when St Kilda were training. At all other times the oval would be ours under the usual conditions. Recess and lunchtimes would have our usual supervised access and during class time teachers would be taking students out for lessons. I currently put in a usage request to Parks Victoria for the likes of our sports days, Celebration of the Arts, School Fete, Fathers Footy training sessions etc… (this is so we don’t clash with the other park users). Many sports clubs, visiting international clubs and private personal trainers use our oval on a regular basis, both on the weekend and during the week. We even have Interschool Sports including girls and boys cricket and lacrosse during the year, where our oval is closed for the day and we use the back park. This would all continue as usual. "

" I know our children, many who barrack for St Kilda, will relish to opportunity to have their idols training on ‘their’ oval. Our dads may benefit from a training run with a skills coach. "

https://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Kilda ... 7629586166

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

HitTheBoundary wrote:And from the schools perspective;
"There would be a down side – restricted oval access for 10 – 15 hours a week when St Kilda were training. At all other times the oval would be ours under the usual conditions. Recess and lunchtimes would have our usual supervised access and during class time teachers would be taking students out for lessons. I currently put in a usage request to Parks Victoria for the likes of our sports days, Celebration of the Arts, School Fete, Fathers Footy training sessions etc… (this is so we don’t clash with the other park users). Many sports clubs, visiting international clubs and private personal trainers use our oval on a regular basis, both on the weekend and during the week. We even have Interschool Sports including girls and boys cricket and lacrosse during the year, where our oval is closed for the day and we use the back park. This would all continue as usual. "

" I know our children, many who barrack for St Kilda, will relish to opportunity to have their idols training on ‘their’ oval. Our dads may benefit from a training run with a skills coach. "

https://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Kilda ... 7629586166
Do the right thing by a range of local St Kilda institutions, and we will be embraced even more warmly than we already are.

Training: Surely it wouldn't be too hard to timetable training sessions for minimal inconvenience to the primary school?
And hey, why couldn't we go a step further... incorporate activities into some training sessions that can also involve/include the local kids and their parents? Don't forget RecLink and the might Hearts footy team either!

(And afterwards, they can get their picture taken in front of the grand stand with Pluggsy. 8-) )

Feel a part of the club. Train with the club... who do you think the kids and their families might support? Who's memberships might they take out, who merchandise might they buy and wear, whose social club might they patronise...?

And does anyone think that incorporating such activities might make it easier to get increased and positive media coverage...? :idea:

Do the right thing by a range of local St Kilda institutions... shouldn't be too hard...
a little give by our club..., for a huge receive. Big time WIN/WIN. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Do the right thing by a range of local St Kilda institutions, and we will be embraced even more warmly than we already are.

Training: Surely it wouldn't be too hard to timetable training sessions for minimal inconvenience to the primary school?
And hey, why couldn't we go a step further... incorporate activities into some training sessions that can also involve/include the local kids and their parents? Don't forget RecLink and the might Hearts footy team either!

(And afterwards, they can get their picture taken in front of the grand stand with Pluggsy. 8-) )

Feel a part of the club. Train with the club... who do you think the kids and their families might support? Who's memberships might they take out, who merchandise might they buy and wear, whose social club might they patronise...?

And does anyone think that incorporating such activities might make it easier to get increased and positive media coverage...? :idea:

Do the right thing by a range of local St Kilda institutions... shouldn't be too hard...
a little give by our club..., for a huge receive. Big time WIN/WIN. :D
hahahaha

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Does anyone actually know how many hours the players spend out on the ground training every week?

Is it every day, for several hours in a single session, or broken up into separate sessions etc?

I'm just wondering how it would work if we are sharing with a school that uses it during school hours, and an amateur footy club, and if it's being used for "Celebration of the Arts, School Fete, Fathers Footy training sessions etc…", and the "Many sports clubs, visiting international clubs and private personal trainers use our oval" etc.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Players couldnt give a stuff if they are going to get 800k instead of 400k. To think otherwise is plain silly. Seaford apologist? last week i wanted to get back to Moorabbin. At least remember what you are bagging me about. We will never lose a player because of where we train. Unless you have a little proof this you are just making it up. We have probably traded more players than any other club in the last 2 years. Obviously Seaford is having a huge effect. By the way if Carlisle does care where we train we arent getting him because if this ever happens it is at least 3 years a way. So obviously Con you think we will get no big names in the next 3 years. My betting is you are completely wrong. We will as soon as we want thme because we will have big money in the cap.

Austinnn
Club Player

spert wrote:Moorabbin around where we used to be based, is very quiet and off the radar a bit.
True. My first time there, it took me a while to find Linton St, it certainly didn't get much passing-through traffic. Don't recall any big signs on the main roads, and before I had a car, I never got near the place.

Compared to Punt Rd which I drove down almost daily and Princes Park which was the park I used to pass from various sides again almost daily. Both places had loads of traffic, plus Carlton was an actual park that people hung out in.

It doesn't matter where players train. But I think it probably matters where players hang out when they are not training, and how much of a hassle it is to get from one to the other. If it's temporary, you would just get your head down and get on with it, but most people would want more from their daily existence than working in a vacuum, no matter how good the job is. Especially since its hard work, you need to feel you can relax in a favourable environment. Maybe some wouldn't care, but it's not attractive from an outside perspective.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
spert wrote:Moorabbin around where we used to be based, is very quiet and off the radar a bit.
True. My first time there, it took me a while to find Linton St, it certainly didn't get much passing-through traffic. Don't recall any big signs on the main roads, and before I had a car, I never got near the place.

Compared to Punt Rd which I drove down almost daily and Princes Park which was the park I used to pass from various sides again almost daily. Both places had loads of traffic, plus Carlton was an actual park that people hung out in.

It doesn't matter where players train. But I think it probably matters where players hang out when they are not training, and how much of a hassle it is to get from one to the other. If it's temporary, you would just get your head down and get on with it, but most people would want more from their daily existence than working in a vacuum, no matter how good the job is. Especially since its hard work, you need to feel you can relax in a favourable environment. Maybe some wouldn't care, but it's not attractive from an outside perspective.

Plenty of places to hang out near Moorabbin. Brighton was just up the road for a start and thats better than any place near Carlton IMO for young guys. Overated anyway based on what I have heard. They dont hang out as such anymore because they are always training. And is there any proof those sides were better because of where they trained because lats face it thats all that matters.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Plenty of places to hang out near Moorabbin. Brighton was just up the road for a start and thats better than any place near Carlton IMO for young guys.
Serious? You know there's about 10k young female uni students in Parkville every day, right?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Plenty of places to hang out near Moorabbin. Brighton was just up the road for a start and thats better than any place near Carlton IMO for young guys.
Serious? You know there's about 10k young female uni students in Parkville every day, right?

Yes I do. Im backing Brighton over uni students for AFL footballers. Actually im backing that they only care whats happening in their area at nigh and on weekends and only in summer.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Yes I do. Im backing Brighton over uni students for AFL footballers. Actually im backing that they only care whats happening in their area at nigh and on weekends and only in summer.

Pluggsy doesn't mind a long commute... more time to text with us here on Saintsational.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Pluggsy doesn't mind a long commute... more time to text with us here on Saintsational.

Try humour Dave. it will eventually work.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Brighton is rubbish for blokes in their 20s. Good for teenagers and families. What are you on about plugger? Hanging around in Church st Going to the Dendy? :D
Moorabbin isnt all that close to Brighton anyway.

Dont Chips etc live in Port Melbourne/Sth Melbourne? 90% of players would choose the Junction over Moorabbin any day of the week - especially those from interstate with no family in Melbourne. Brighton is like a ghetto for outsiders . Carlton is choc a block with 20 somethings but anyways.

Downside is its probably a hell of a lot easier to get yourself in trouble around St Kilda on the weekends. Especially in summer.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Can't walk around Brighton without tripping over AFL footballers and other cashed-up sport types. Pt Melb is for the yobs

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Brighton is rubbish for blokes in their 20s. Good for teenagers and families. What are you on about plugger? Hanging around in Church st Going to the Dendy? :D

Dont Chips etc live in Port Melbourne/Sth Melbourne? 90% of players would choose the Junction over Moorabbin any day of the week - especially those from interstate with no family in Melbourne. Brighton is like a ghetto for outsiders . Carlton is choc a block with 20 somethings but anyways.

Downside is its probably a hell of a lot easier to get yourself in trouble around St Kilda on the weekends. Especially in summer.

Well if Chips lives in Port its solved than. Lenny and Rooy live in Brighton not that means anything at all. Have no idea why Brighton is rubbish for guys in their 20's. Never worried my daughter but she is only 19. Once she turns 20 she may hate the place. By the way Moorabbin would be 5k from brighton. Its all a rubbish conversation anyway because a player will come to us where ever we train as long as they are paid well. Tell us about those figures to Con. They sound factual.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Brighton is rubbish for blokes in their 20s. Good for teenagers and families. What are you on about plugger? Hanging around in Church st Going to the Dendy? :D

Good point, Con. Players better get the riot act read to them. Might be better to head up the road to South Melbourne or Albert Park for a latte.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Good point, Con. Players better get the riot act read to them. Might be better to head up the road to South Melbourne or Albert Park for a latte.
Ok lads! No Dalton Bar ever :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Be real honest with me.

Does anyone honestly - look me in the eye - does anyone honestly think we will EVER pull a big fish while we are based at Seaford?

Now its about time we stopped kidding ourselves and telling ourselves lies lies and lies and self comforting GARBAGE.

NO big fish from another club WILL EVER come to us at Seaford.

Get a friggin grip. Lets move on from this self delusion.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Be real honest with me.

Does anyone honestly - look me in the eye - does anyone honestly think we will EVER pull a big fish while we are based at Seaford?

Now its about time we stopped kidding ourselves and telling ourselves lies lies and lies and self comforting GARBAGE.

NO big fish from another club WILL EVER come to us at Seaford.

Get a friggin grip. Lets move on from this self delusion.
Do you honestly think that player would turn down say $750k a year (just a hypothetical number) because he's got to go to Seaford for training a few times a week?
If I had spent my whole life in Victoria I'd rather do that than go to Perth or Western Sydney.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
Do you honestly think that player would turn down say $750k a year (just a hypothetical number) because he's got to go to Seaford for training a few times a week?
If I had spent my whole life in Victoria I'd rather do that than go to Perth or Western Sydney.
Yes I do because there are another 12 or whatever clubs who can also offer that same 750k. It is a very competitive market we are in.