Ryder to Saints (two year deal)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ryder to Saints (two year deal)

We lack hard body strength in the forward and back half, and Ryder would provide that. He would be a handy pickup if he comes cheap in a deal.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 2:54am
The Barometer wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 11:59pm what would we even pay for Ryder? Could well be a token pick 70 for all anyone knows. Given we have Marshall and the ex bballer to ruck now Pierce and Longer have gone might not that dumb to have another ruckman that can actually play.

Too much sense in this post.
Exactly. It's going to be a late pick - all we have to do is pay a salary. It's literally Port getting his contract off their books and us getting some cover for Marshall. We literally have no other ruckman on our list. Ryder on one leg and with a bad ankle is still a significant upgrade on both Longer and Pierce.

I can't see what all the fuss is about

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 10:04am
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 01 Sep 2019 3:29am I see the logic there. We take a guy who may be as good, or better, than Grundie in the ruck and instead try and turn into being a CHF a role that I doubt he will be as good in. (Did you not see his contested ball work in the ruck contests this year?)

And we make do with for our No 1 Ruck a guy past his best who will only keep fading. 2021 he will be worse.

The irony there of course is that Port are squeezing out Ryder as they want to give the 21 year old Ladham's his head. And you want the Saints do the opposite and insert Ryder as our No 1 ruck :(

Meanwhile our perfectly capable Bruce who at 27 is now in his peak years as a CHF we give the heave ho....

With a strategy like that a wooden spoon or two beckons.

This is one of the most hysterical posts yet.

Who said Marshall is getting pushed out of his ruck position?

Why are you getting so flustered about a player who is a past AA that will probably cost a third round pick?

Marshall is playing ruck. At the worst Ryder plays seconds and coaches / provides back up. At best he forces into best 22 which would be based on form.

What a weird and hysterical take on the whole thing.

If you have read my posts on this is you will know that my position is that the acquisition of Ryder ONLY makes sense if:
1/ He joins us for a minimal pick
2/ Is content to join us a as a back up ruck who will mainly play at Sandy
3/ That he is not played as a key forward who relieves Marshall in the ruck

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 11:40am
Spinner wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 10:04am
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 01 Sep 2019 3:29am I see the logic there. We take a guy who may be as good, or better, than Grundie in the ruck and instead try and turn into being a CHF a role that I doubt he will be as good in. (Did you not see his contested ball work in the ruck contests this year?)

And we make do with for our No 1 Ruck a guy past his best who will only keep fading. 2021 he will be worse.

The irony there of course is that Port are squeezing out Ryder as they want to give the 21 year old Ladham's his head. And you want the Saints do the opposite and insert Ryder as our No 1 ruck :(

Meanwhile our perfectly capable Bruce who at 27 is now in his peak years as a CHF we give the heave ho....

With a strategy like that a wooden spoon or two beckons.

This is one of the most hysterical posts yet.

Who said Marshall is getting pushed out of his ruck position?

Why are you getting so flustered about a player who is a past AA that will probably cost a third round pick?

Marshall is playing ruck. At the worst Ryder plays seconds and coaches / provides back up. At best he forces into best 22 which would be based on form.

What a weird and hysterical take on the whole thing.

If you have read my posts on this is you will know that my position is that the acquisition of Ryder ONLY makes sense if:
That makes no sense to me, except for getting him for bugger all which is a given. Why get a player into the club and put limitations #2 & #3 on him?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Gee he will be an old fucker next year - 32 years old and I’m amazed he’s only 197cm!

But we need a few oldies in a team overrun with kids

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 12:13pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 11:50am

That makes no sense to me, except for getting him for bugger all which is a given.

Well that is why I am not a believer in getting him.

Other's will disagree and will see him as:

1/ Playing as a key forward with Bruce traded
2/ Playing No 1 Ruck and Marshall as a forward/ruck
or 3/Reliving Marshall in the ruck with low TOG and a lot of pine time (ie we play one midfielder less.

I am not a believer in any of these. I think all 3 will make us a poorer team.
Moreseo as at 32 Ryder is only going to get worse and is a stop gap.

Wind back the clock and if we were getting a 28 year old Ryder then I would be happier. But he is not.

Hopefully trading Bruce gains us another player as good as Hill so that we can overcome the deficiency of a 22 with Ryder in it.
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 11:50am Why get a player into the club and put limitations #2 & #3 on him?
1/ Because Marshall is our future. Marshall should play No 1 and be allowed to thrive.
2/ Ryder is not a good or even reasonable key forward. In addition Ryder will impair the defensive pressure that our forward line needs to apply. So for mine Ryder makes our forward line worse offensively and defensively.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

or 3/Reliving Marshall in the ruck with low TOG and a lot of pine time (ie we play one midfielder less.

4/ Rotating between forward, ruck and bench.

Whilst forward, Marshall can drift back whilst rucking. Whilst rucking, Marshall can drift forward.

Marshall may not have the individual impact he's had - but he will develop better and have a prolonged career.

Our team will be far more damaging.

It's an excellent combination. It's ideal.

barneyboyz
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:37pm

4/ Rotating between forward, ruck and bench.

Whilst forward, Marshall can drift back whilst rucking. Whilst rucking, Marshall can drift forward.

Marshall may not have the individual impact he's had - but he will develop better and have a prolonged career.

Our team will be far more damaging.

It's an excellent combination. It's ideal.
Lots of 'glass half empty' people about. What if it works? and he comes for not much?

If Marshall goes down next year (knock on wood), we're going to look pretty slim (grim) with Bruce and BlAcres doing all the ruck work, especially if we have already moved Bruce on :roll:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:43pm

Lots of 'glass half empty' people about. What if it works? and he comes for not much?

No my PINT glass of full strength brew is a full one. Bruce at CHF and Marshall at No1 Ruck rather than the half full 7oz of mid strength that Ryder offers. ;)

I think Bruce may be a done deal though. Hopefully my full glass of having pick 5 and 12 then lands us another class mid in addition to Hill.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Cannot understand why we would be considering trading out 27 y.o Josh Bruce (197 cm) for 31 y.o Patrick Ryder (197 cm)? I wouldn't consider it an upgrade.

barneyboyz
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:49pm
barneyboyz wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:43pm

No my PINT glass of full strength brew is a full one. Bruce at CHF and Marshall at No1 Ruck rather than the half full 7oz of mid strength that Ryder offers. ;)

I think Bruce may be a done deal though. Hopefully my full glass of having pick 5 and 12 then lands us another class mid in addition to Hill.
It has to be more to do with only having one ruck atm, moreso than swapping him for Bruce. In my book Bruce stays, and it is here that Ryder could work

barneyboyz
Club Player

Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:50pm Cannot understand why we would be considering trading out 27 y.o Josh Bruce (197 cm) for 31 y.o Patrick Ryder (197 cm)? I wouldn't consider it an upgrade.
Surely they would only bring Ryder as a backup ruck? not a swap for Bruce? That would be silly

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:57pm moreso than swapping him for Bruce.

to be clear I am not saying that they are swapping him for Bruce. They are not.

Bruce it seems is being swapped to gain pick 12. What pick 12 is then use on one can only guess. Hill (ie keeps 5 in play)? Another player?

barneyboyz
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 2:06pm
barneyboyz wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:57pm moreso than swapping him for Bruce.

to be clear I am not saying that they are swapping him for Bruce. They are not.

Bruce it seems is being swapped to gain pick 12. What pick 12 is then use on one can only guess. Hill (ie keeps 5 in play)? Another player?
Hope they are far smarter than they seem then. It is a lot of trust bestowed to them.

There's got to be some young bloke that we could get, even with a bit of maturity in age that can grow along side Rowan. This bloke doesn't have to be a star, more a 'foil'

BarryGrogan
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:49pm Hopefully my full glass of having pick 5 and 12 then lands us another class mid in addition to Hill.
I couldn't justify Bruce leaving unless it results in a quality mid coming in.

damienc
Club Player

Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:50pm Cannot understand why we would be considering trading out 27 y.o Josh Bruce (197 cm) for 31 y.o Patrick Ryder (197 cm)? I wouldn't consider it an upgrade.

Can you please show me a credible source, apart from your good self, who said this?

It is my understanding that you are talking about two very much mutually exclusive possible deals, that bear absolutely no relationship to one another.

But happy to be corrected.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Ch9 in Adelaide reported tonight that Ryder more likely to nominate Bombers than Saints.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 10:07pm Ch9 in Adelaide reported tonight that Ryder more likely to nominate Bombers than Saints.

I think that I may be in the minority, but I do not want Ryder.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 10:51pm
Zed wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 10:07pm Ch9 in Adelaide reported tonight that Ryder more likely to nominate Bombers than Saints.

I’m kind of with you...
Just don’t see the point in getting a player on a downhill trajectory because he can play a role we can’t otherwise cover but he can’t play it that well.

This idea is somewhere between playing a Dempster as a defensive forward in the 09 GF because he’s best suited to that role ahead of better players or the old days where retiring hacks were traded to St.Kilda to get a final, easy cheque before they properly hung them up after not giving a damn for a year or two.

Least he comes cheap though

johnnyrayflamingo
Club Player

Can people just calm down.

We are after a quality ruck x 2 to help Marshsll or replace him when injured or give him a week off. Ryder is a good fit. Same as whatever other ruck we recruit.

Where has the club or anyone said Ryder is going to become a permanent ruck/forward every week?

😎
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 10:51pm

They were talking about this on SEN today, if Essendope improves their offer to Ryder, he'll go to the Bombers.

Come on Essendope, offer him the kitchen sink as well, welcome him back and save us from stupidity.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

johnnyrayflamingo wrote: Tue 17 Sep 2019 12:05am Can people just calm down.

We are after a quality ruck x 2 to help Marshsll or replace him when injured or give him a week off. Ryder is a good fit. Same as whatever other ruck we recruit.

Where has the club or anyone said Ryder is going to become a permanent ruck/forward every week?
Where has the club commented that he is not going to play as a ruck/ forward?

It is widely reported Saints are chasing Ryder and that Bruce May go to the Bulldogs. IF both are true it is a very fair assumption that Ryder will play ruck / forward.

Do you think if Ryder is recruited he will be played at Sandy in case Marshall gets injured?

I can’t understand why we’d have any interest in an old, slow overweight version of a guy who was a very good athletic player in his day.

Go hard at Chol, Ratugolea or Alir as they can play KP and add value as a second ruck. Yes we have to give something up but they have upside.

If we trade Bruce and bring in Ryder I’ll spew like Terry Wallace.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Prefer to get the best Ruckman in the state leagues. A 25 year old who has been ripping it up.
Who was the best ruck in the VFL this year?

Nee!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 17 Sep 2019 6:17am

It is widely reported Saints are chasing Ryder and that Bruce May go to the Bulldogs. IF both are true it is a very fair assumption that Ryder will play ruck / forward.

Do you think if Ryder is recruited he will be played at Sandy in case Marshall gets injured?

I can’t understand why we’d have any interest in an old, slow overweight version of a guy who was a very good athletic player in his day.

Go hard at Chol, Ratugolea or Alir as they can play KP and add value as a second ruck. Yes we have to give something up but they have upside.

I hope he doesn't come too as I trust your judgment but will it be a projectile vomit or just a regular one?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
johnnyrayflamingo
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 17 Sep 2019 6:17am

Cool

😎