Lyon Promises Exciting Footy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

As I thought, Lyon's idea of "exciting footy" is not what many where hoping for. And I for one, am most thankful of that.
Ross Lyon. The Age Sunday Dec 5 wrote:
Of course, it is all in your interpretation of excitement.

"To us exciting footy is really aggressive defence, really aggressive at the contest," he says.

" The fundamentals won't change. If anything, the cornerstone of the premiership team this year was their aggressive defence. And you score off aggressive defence"

The Age Sunday Dec 5 wrote:

Lyon want his Saints to score more, to win more contested ball, to improve their clearnce work. But their not suddenly about to morph intoa freewheeling bunch of downhill skiers, or as he puts it, to throw the bay out with the bathwater..
An interesting article and a good read (except for RF who know doubt will be gnashing his teeth, while crunching on his "cornflakes" for breakfast).

The last part is clear flag too that some new blood is likely to play in 2011..BUT only if they demand their place over the pre-season.
Ross Lyon. The Age Sunday Dec 5 wrote:
" The danger for me is getting too close to the g I'll know who is doing the workroup beacuse you know how much effort the've given. " he says. " But you can't fall in love. You've got to make some tough decisions, and we need to bring in some fresh players and some enthusiasm. In the end they will pick themselves. After pre-season, Ill know who is doing the work, and who's not by their actions, We won't have to talk."

" There's been no fracturing or witch hunts. We've got a really strong foundation, we're committed to improving, and well come again..

We'll just keep persisting and if we improve and continue to get the right peopleto the club, the premiership will be achieved. It's just a matter of when."

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What that article confirms to me is what I mentioned sometime ago.

"Exciting footy" will not mean a change in style. Anyone on here thinking Ross Lyons football philosophy is going to do a 360 degree change to all out attack will be disappointed on 2011.

see Lyon quote:

"To us, exciting football is really aggressive defence, really aggressive at the contest," he says. "The fundamentals won't change. If anything, the cornerstone of the premiership team this year was their aggressive defence."

We will hunt more, cause turn overs more and hopefully improved contested ball wins. Yes, IMO its a return to 09 and Im happy with that as it is exciting footy.

BUT - what I wouldve liked to see us improve is ball transition into fwd 50. Our build ups are at times laborious, grinding affairs.....when (especially with Roo and co up fwd) we should at times be break neck speed to get it in there quick. This is where line breakers are essential. I do hope young Cripps gets a game or 3 next year as I frankly dont rely on Peake/Gram to perform consistently enough to do this and certainly both can rush forward often....only to turn it straight over with poor disposal. Gilbert too.

Im probably actually mostly looking fwd to some midfield regeneration. Lets face it - quality wise we dont bat deep. Outside Hayes, Dal, Goddard, Joey..........the rest are parttime off-spinners....we DESPERATELY need at least another 2 quality rotations so Steven/Armitage are a must if we are gonna really challenge next year. No secret the Pies have so much talent rotating through their guts at times and now throw in Beams/Sidebottom who will only get better.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon: "If anything, the cornerstone of the premiership team this year was their aggressive defence."
There's no doubt Malthouse and Collingwood pinched many elements of our 2009 gameplan on their way to the premiership.

They defend nearly as well as us AND kick cricket scores.

That's where we must improve while maintaining our defensive excellence.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Ross Lyon: "If anything, the cornerstone of the premiership team this year was their aggressive defence."
There's no doubt Malthouse and Collingwood pinched many elements of our 2009 gameplan on their way to the premiership.

I think RL will be working on getting an extra 1 to 2 goals a game. There was never going to be a huge change in game plans.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I think RL will be working on getting an extra 1 to 2 goals a game. There was never going to be a huge change in game plans.
I wouldn't be surprised if the changes he is planning yield more than one or two goals a game.

It's not rocket science to work out where we need to improve and no doubt he is working on it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
It's not rocket science to work out where we need to improve and no doubt he is working on it.
Well in terms of the intent of the saying...it is.

99.99% of people could not be doing what Lyon is doing...and make no mistake there is "science" to his method.

Yes we need more goals. But that is the easy part.....you then have to do all the analysis, and then then develop strategies to improve....followed by implementation. given the limitations imposed by draft sytem, salary cap etc.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the changes he is planning yield more than one or two goals a game.

I am not sure if you realise but 1 to 2 goals a game puts us third in the for column. That is plenty high enough id defence stays the same. Anyone thinking we are going to play much different footy either must think we are getting a different coach or they live in fantasy land.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I am not sure if you realise but 1 to 2 goals a game puts us third in the for column. That is plenty high enough id defence stays the same. Anyone thinking we are going to play much different footy either must think we are getting a different coach or they live in fantasy land.
Third? I want us to be first.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Third? I want us to be first.
I want us to win the flag. I am not sure if you realise bu an extra point in the first GF wins us the GF.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I am not sure if you realise bu an extra point in the first GF wins us the GF.
We did extremely well to get back into that game. A more experienced grand-finals opponent would have put us away soon after half time.

Collingwood practically blew us away in the first half with their ability to score heavily and regularly.

I don't expect a revolution; only a commitment to fix our sole weakness ... scoreboard pressure. I expect that is what we will see.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I am not sure if you realise bu an extra point in the first GF wins us the GF.
We did extremely well to get back into that game. A more experienced grand-finals opponent would have put us away soon after half time.

Collingwood practically blew us away in the first half with their ability to score heavily and regularly.

I don't expect a revolution; only a commitment to fix our sole weakness ... scoreboard pressure. I expect that is what we will see.
So on average how many extra goals will we get per game?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Hopefully enough so we can blow a few teams away early, rather than have to win every game in an armwrestle.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Hopefully enough so we can blow a few teams away early, rather than have to win every game in an armwrestle.
But why does that matter if you make the GF. I doubt what ever improvements we make to our scoring that we will ever win a GF by a big margin so I dont see the issue. 2 goals a game is plenty.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Any reason we didn't do this last year?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Any reason we didn't do this last year?
I dont know. Ant reasons Geelong didnt win 4 in a row?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

You may have missed it as there was hardly any press on it...

But the Saints recruited a player called Andrew Lovett in an endeavour to score more goals per game. :idea:

Ice Wolf
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:

But the Saints recruited a player called Andrew Lovett in an endeavour to score more goals per game. :idea:
There was also that no-name forward in our team who tore a ligament pretty badly and was out for most of the season, im not sure if that guy was important to our scoring or structure though.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

There was also that no-name forward in our team who tore a ligament pretty badly and was out for most of the season, im not sure if that guy was important to our scoring or structure though.
Hardly worth a mention IW :wink:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Probably just unreasonable stubborness on the part of the coach.

He's such a 'grinch' when it comes to giving the fans what they want.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: He's such a 'grinch' when it comes to giving the fans what they want.
What, a flag?

This 'extra 2 goals' that we've suddenly realised we need would have had us 2 flags by now.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Yeah? How'd he go?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Ice Wolf wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Hardly worth a mention IW :wink:
I was positive he played in the GFs.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote: He's such a 'grinch' when it comes to giving the fans what they want.
What, a flag?

This 'extra 2 goals' that we've suddenly realised we need would have had us 2 flags by now.
Rodger, why don't you just give the trolling up.
Just about everybody on here knows your mo and frankly it's become quite boring.

Maybe time to try a new tack?

You know, act as if you're not going on with your boring old agenda.
Maybe don a sheep's clothing so we don't recognize the fox underneath?

And I now await your normal response of:-
Liar
read my post
what are you on about
moron supporters
my mates on the inside told me

did I miss any?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Did do it last year.

It was exciting to watch our defence make the opposition turnover the ball and us score on the rebound.

Exciting to see Roo kick goal after goal.

Our forward defence wasn't as good this year and Riewoldt being out for 4 months didn't really help the scoring.

Do you remember the game before Riewoldt went down?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
did I miss any?
Oh my stars....

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)