Apparently Tom Lynch to Adelaide for Pick 37

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Who actually said he wanted out of StK???
St. Kilda did.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

Perhaps they're just being politic.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Tom Lynch should have been given more opportunity.

Does anyone know why he wasn't given more game time to develop at senior level? He made a few 'noob' mistakes this year which were understandable, needed more time to see how he'd perform with a bit more experience.

I feel he'll be a solid AFL player at another club. We'll see....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
BigMart wrote:Who actually said he wanted out of StK???
St. Kilda did.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

Perhaps they're just being politic.
Let's just accept that none of us really know the reasons behind these things.

It's like the Tommy Walsh thread where people are saying "if he doesn't want to play for us" etc. Do we know that? Or are we basing that on some reports that suggest he's considering a substantially better from the Swans? There's a big difference.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:Let's just accept that none of us really know the reasons behind these things.

It's like the Tommy Walsh thread where people are saying "if he doesn't want to play for us" etc. Do we know that? Or are we basing that on some reports that suggest he's considering a substantially better from the Swans? There's a big difference.
If Walsh had no interest why would he go through the bother of sitting a medical with Sydney?

Lynch did the same with Adelaide but admittedly that could have been at St. Kilda's behest. The exercise doesn't make sense in Walsh's case.

It's a pretty safe assumption that Walsh wants to chase a better opportunity. I hope for our and the club's sake he doesn't get it. That would be two first-round draft picks in a row wasted for nothing.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Funny that he tested well in the Draft Camp for Repeat Sprints for a slo-coach......especially for a 192cm.....he finished top ten overall and only behind watts for a 190+

Lynch even appeared slow at VFL level.....but always seemed to have time and space....bit like SJ at AFL level.....not quick over the ground, but reads the play well.....of course at AFL level that takes some time and it takes time to adapt to the speed of the game....

some players are just no bull-at-a-gate players.....like clinton jones (who appears faster than he actually is) and tend to cruise....they can be even more dangerous because they can go up a gear.....Raph Clarke is a loper....Rob Harvey, Darren Jarmen for instance...

some players run heavy......and look slow...like armitage

some run on very light....often called running ontop of the ground....Brent Harvey, Craig Bradley, Jason Gram cover the ground well

Lynch is a very heavy runner....but for his size moves OK

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Did I mention ross lyon is an asshole who could not develop a tadpole?
Hed end up killing the whole pond.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Winmar played 13 of 18 games last season....and missed 2 games due to being an emergency and unable to play at Sandy...

It was a relatively good year on the injury front for him

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Let's just accept that none of us really know the reasons behind these things.

If Walsh had no interest why would he go through the bother of sitting a medical with Sydney?

Lynch did the same with Adelaide but admittedly that could have been at St. Kilda's behest. The exercise doesn't make sense in Walsh's case.

It's a pretty safe assumption that Walsh wants to chase a better opportunity. I hope for our and the club's sake he doesn't get it. That would be two first-round draft picks in a row wasted for nothing.
You missed my point completely.

I was saying that just because he is exploring his options that does not mean he "doesn't want to play for St Kilda". 

There have been plenty of instances in the past where a player has walked and refused to return to a club. Is there any evidence that Tommy won't play for the Saints if we up our offer, he decides he doesn't want to move to Sydney or the Swans offer falls through?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:You missed my point completely.

I was saying that just because he is exploring his options that does not mean he "doesn't want to play for St Kilda". 

There have been plenty of instances in the past where a player has walked and refused to return to a club. Is there any evidence that Tommy won't play for the Saints if we up our offer, he decides he doesn't want to move to Sydney or the Swans offer falls through?
It may all be speculation but the balance of probabilities is:

Tommy wants to play wherever he gets the best coin and the most playing opportunities;

Sydney's is a genuine and serious bid;

The Saints have no idea yet how close they can come to matching Sydney's offer.

There is a clear risk that Walsh could walk to the national draft or PSD, and if he puts a price on his head that Sydney have already guaranteed him that the Saints can't match, it's academic where he ends up.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:

Tommy wants to play wherever he gets the best coin and the most playing opportunities;

There is a clear risk that Walsh could walk to the national draft or PSD, and if he puts a price on his head that Sydney have already guaranteed him that the Saints can't match, it's academic where he ends up.
Except there are heaps of cashed up clubs looking for KPP's this year, and he has no injury cloud?

Heaps of picks before Sydney even gets a look in isn't there?

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:Except there are heaps of cashed up clubs looking for KPP's this year, and he has no injury cloud?

Would he care who picks him up, if it means he's playing AFL footy and getting paid well?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:Except there are heaps of cashed up clubs looking for KPP's this year, and he has no injury cloud?

Would he care who picks him up, if it means he's playing AFL footy and getting paid well?
Well if that's the case, shouldn't be hard for our new coach to pick up the phone and convince him of exactly that 8-)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:

There have been plenty of instances in the past where a player has walked and refused to return to a club. Is there any evidence that Tommy won't play for the Saints if we up our offer, he decides he doesn't want to move to Sydney or the Swans offer falls through?

I'm not disagreeing with you Inker.

I'm simply saying that just like Lynch we haven't actually heard from Tommy. We know Sydney's making a big play for him and he's flying up there but I haven't heard him say what he wants to do. That Age story was their spin on it.

Walsh has got nothing to lose in meeting the Swans. But how do we know he's not going along with this in an attempt to push up the Saints offer? If I was his manager I'd tell him to jump on the plane.

Gwilt Edged
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:

Well if that's the case, shouldn't be hard for our new coach to pick up the phone and convince him of exactly that 8-)
It shouldn't, as long as we have the cash to convince him to stay... could be something of a problem as I understand it