Petracca - do we still want him

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Petracca - do we still want him

minneapolis wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 3:54am
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 18 Jan 2020 7:39pm Nup
I agree with Trev and will quote him. I see your Nup and raise you one.

Nup Nup to the Nuff Nuff.
Been laid up in hospital the past fortnight researching pedigrees and performances for several yealings my cousin is checking out on the farms this week. She tells me that she has inspected 8 but only shortlisted 1!

Petracca, in racing parlance, has had his time in the rig and now it is time to walk to the bar!

Saint supporter since '62
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Who's questioning his talent?

Ben Cousins talent was never questioned, but his postion at a couple of clubs was.

Dusty in his first few years was not putting footy first and he and a couple of his teammates stretched the clubs patients shall we say to the point one teammate was given the arse and anothers eventually slipped outa the club. Dusty survived...just, and when he pulled the GWS stunt a few years later he was reminded that he might owe some members of the admin a few favours.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Dusty was a kid in his first few years. While the media played on every opportunity they could to question his commitment during a period where his team lacked polish and performance, he has become a superstar, a role model and a driving force in Richmond's success. The GWS stunt as you call it, would hardly have cost Dusty any sleep or money.
Petracca is a long way off comparison and a mumma's boy at that. I'm sure Melbourne will seek the upper hand in contract renewal negotiations and he will be paid accordingly. If he has flagged a pay rise and leadership roles from any interested parties, I'd be very surprised. His best bet is to stay where he is established and keep working on his output.

minneapolis
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 4:26pm
minneapolis wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 3:54am
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 18 Jan 2020 7:39pm Nup
I agree with Trev and will quote him. I see your Nup and raise you one.

Nup Nup to the Nuff Nuff.
Been laid up in hospital the past fortnight researching pedigrees and performances for several yealings my cousin is checking out on the farms this week. She tells me that she has inspected 8 but only shortlisted 1!

Petracca, in racing parlance, has had his time in the rig and now it is time to walk to the bar!
Trev,

two weeks is a long time in the white jail. Hope you are recovered fully enough to enjoy the 'bush' again.

If you cousin is pretty good at spotting quality horse potential perhaps you could steer her towards the club recruiting brigade? We have made some tragic mistakes in that area and could do with a informed eye in the flanks and withers department.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yes, he's a champ and not up himself.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 10:42pm Dusty was a kid in his first few years. While the media played on every opportunity they could to question his commitment during a period where his team lacked polish and performance, he has become a superstar, a role model and a driving force in Richmond's success. The GWS stunt as you call it, would hardly have cost Dusty any sleep or money.
Petracca is a long way off comparison and a mumma's boy at that. I'm sure Melbourne will seek the upper hand in contract renewal negotiations and he will be paid accordingly. If he has flagged a pay rise and leadership roles from any interested parties, I'd be very surprised. His best bet is to stay where he is established and keep working on his output.
Yeah Dusty pulled his head in and his finger out eventually and his team won a premiership off the back of his maturing.

That is my point about Petracca, he still could be that player that takes the next step and lifts his side to a flag by having a blinders of a season and kicking 5 goals in the GF and winning the Norm Smith. The parallels and comparison with Richnond circa 2017 say.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 21 Jan 2020 12:23pm No idea re: Melbourne. And none of the Dees supporters I know do either. i think it's acknowledged that putting 15 players in for surgery all at the same time was season-crucifying mistake but, they have so much talent on that list that they really should be aiming for top 4.
Do they have that much talent?
They have Gawn, Oliver, and Brayshaw.
No key forwards. And their small forwards aren't that good either.
Not sure about Tom McDonald as the target forward. Trading Hogan hurt them a lot.
May and Lever are OK but they're no Rance.
Jones used to be a good player.
Petracca, Harmes, and Viney are usefiul players but go missing too often.

2018 was a blip year for Melbourne in a flatline of underperforming years from 2007 onwards.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Far better small forward than Lonie, Kent, Long, Parker, Butler or Hind so yes I'd take him. Not a star but he's comfortably be in our best 18.

Furphy
Club Player

No