Moorabbin's in our blood not the f****** JO.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Moorabbin's in our blood not the f****** JO.

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 08 Feb 2020 7:28pm JO, it is now the perfect permanent home for cricket. Anybody who thinks otherwise is on much stronger drugs that I had been prescribed. That is nigh on impossible if you are still alive.

It will never happen. 😁
There is also a place called, I've heard, the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
It was the Cain government if I recall, that saved footy and it's right to play the GFinal there. 1980s.

A lot can, and will, change.

The surface of the JO is now ready for the bounce. We will be looking carefully at it's usage through the winter months.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 10 Feb 2020 8:28am
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 08 Feb 2020 7:28pm JO, it is now the perfect permanent home for cricket. Anybody who thinks otherwise is on much stronger drugs that I had been prescribed. That is nigh on impossible if you are still alive.

It will never happen. 😁
There is also a place called, I've heard, the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
It was the Cain government if I recall, that saved footy and it's right to play the GFinal there. 1980s.

A lot can, and will, change.

The surface of the JO is now ready for the bounce. We will be looking carefully at it's usage through the winter months.
+1

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The Junction Oval will always be a massive part of our history. I was quite excited about the possibility of a move there.

But there's no doubt that Moorabbin represents the spirit of the club in a way that nowhere else has managed, before or after. It will always be our home.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 6:56pm The Junction Oval will always be a massive part of our history. I was quite excited about the possibility of a move there.

But there's no doubt that Moorabbin represents the spirit of the club in a way that nowhere else has managed, before or after. It will always be our home.
I used to live off Old Dandenong Road in South Oakleigh. When I was a Pre-teen/Teen I would go and stay at my Grandmother's house in Chelsea, catch the train to Moorabbin - sit in the nose bleed section of the stands - on the wing - right behind the Radio Commentator - and pound on the walls of the stadium - after the game (and particularly if we got close, or dare I say it won) I would jump on the bus and get dropped off right outside our front gate, rush inside and watch the Winners (?).

It was a more innocent time, and one that I truly remember fondly, even though I would never volunteer that I was a Sainter to my Tiger, Magpie or Blues supporting compatriots at school.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 3:33pm
evertonfc wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 6:56pm The Junction Oval will always be a massive part of our history. I was quite excited about the possibility of a move there.

I used to live off Old Dandenong Road in South Oakleigh. When I was a Pre-teen/Teen I would go and stay at my Grandmother's house in Chelsea, catch the train to Moorabbin - sit in the nose bleed section of the stands - on the wing - right behind the Radio Commentator - and pound on the walls of the stadium - after the game (and particularly if we got close, or dare I say it won) I would jump on the bus and get dropped off right outside our front gate, rush inside and watch the Winners (?).

It was a more innocent time, and one that I truly remember fondly, even though I would never volunteer that I was a Sainter to my Tiger, Magpie or Blues supporting compatriots at school
I love this.
Although I carry on about JO, and I genuinely believe we should play one boutique premiership game there a year, I recognize Moorabbin as "my St Kilda" simply due to my age.

It is a gritty place, though, smelly, cold, dangerous, and I don't believe they were innocent times. I nearly got involved in several fights there and I am not that type.

Nowadays, of course, it will be more mellow, but for it to have any character, it will be have to be a place where people can relax, bbq maybe. It won't get far if over regulated. JO has character just by don't of location.

I am guessing you lived near the market gardens, before they turned into dull estates. Pretty magical atmosphere.

...and yes, a lot of what is the St Kilda FC we know is drenched in Moorabbin, from the Saints disco, Yabby Jeans, the mud piles, showers, and our terrible years.
I do think the area has a distinct identity, or rather had, that means something to us, but is pretty invisible to the outside.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 14 Feb 2020 12:37pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 3:33pm

It was a more innocent time, and one that I truly remember fondly, even though I would never volunteer that I was a Sainter to my Tiger, Magpie or Blues supporting compatriots at school
I love this.
Although I carry on about JO, and I genuinely believe we should play one boutique premiership game there a year, I recognize Moorabbin as "my St Kilda" simply due to my age.

It is a gritty place, though, smelly, cold, dangerous, and I don't believe they were innocent times. I nearly got involved in several fights there and I am not that type.

Nowadays, of course, it will be more mellow, but for it to have any character, it will be have to be a place where people can relax, bbq maybe. It won't get far if over regulated. JO has character just by don't of location.

I am guessing you lived near the market gardens, before they turned into dull estates. Pretty magical atmosphere.

...and yes, a lot of what is the St Kilda FC we know is drenched in Moorabbin, from the Saints disco, Yabby Jeans, the mud piles, showers, and our terrible years.
I do think the area has a distinct identity, or rather had, that means something to us, but is pretty invisible to the outside.
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 14 Feb 2020 12:37pm I am guessing you lived near the market gardens, before they turned into dull estates. Pretty magical atmosphere.
Just off Old Dandenong Road opposite the back of the Commonwealth Golf Course - 4th house on the estate between the drive-in and Warrigal Rd - On a clear day you could see the drive in screen from our porch (1/2 a click away) - the trees had not even grown - so I am told
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 14 Feb 2020 12:37pm
It is a gritty place, though, smelly, cold, dangerous, and I don't believe they were innocent times.
Not so innocent at the football - but as a pre/teen I was entrusted to catch the bus by myself etc - things you would not do nowadays - and on the really hot days the local firey would turn up and just urn the hydrant on and flood the street!

Out riding your bike until the lights on the street came on - not being in constant contact with the parental units on Mobile etc - it was an innocent time that I remember fondly - lol

Now get me my Horlicks and the paper!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ahh...drive-ins.....now that does bring back some enjoyable memories. :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :roll: :wink: :oops:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Such a shame we couldn’t keep at least one part of the big grandstand. Be nice when the new 1,000 seat stand is built at Moorabbin if they could incorporate some history into it somehow.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 15 Feb 2020 10:56pm Such a shame we couldn’t keep at least one part of the big grandstand. Be nice when the new 1,000 seat stand is built at Moorabbin if they could incorporate some history into it somehow.
I have some of the seating (6 ft section) - autographed by the team [2008]!

― Aristophanes