Hind

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Freebird
Club Player

Re: Hind

I'm glad you're no selector SK - why pigeon hole him as a forward, he won the Essendon reserves B&F playing half back

The list you've presented JB, I would only have Billings and Gresham ahead of him....On last years form, he is at least the equal to the others on your list

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I have him ahead of Sinclair, Parker, Kent.
Kent played one good game last year, against his old side.
Sinclair has been here for ages but never able to really deliver consistently.
Hind should be best 22 in front of those 3, they've had chances

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I thought he showed a fair bit towards the end of last season. Really quick and loves a goal. Hopefully he does enough this week - if he plays - to press his claims for Round 1.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

IMHO, i want Hind to play before
Sinclair, Parker, Kent.
If there's a choice between Savage n Hind- Hind plays.

Biased, I am, but his dash n dare are reminiscent of Milne

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Secret Kiel
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 12:39am IMHO, i want Hind to play before
Sinclair, Parker, Kent.
If there's a choice between Savage n Hind- Hind plays.

Biased, I am, but his dash n dare are reminiscent of Milne
He does look a bit like Milne in the way he moves doesn't he, but I think his challenge is similar to the one Milne had in the front half of his career and that is what he does when he hasn't got the ball. Was it the coaching of RL to help that side of Milne's game?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I didn't see either Hind or Milne play at school, although my cousin taught Milney at Primary School, but I don't think they're similar players at all.
Hind runs the lines and looks like he could all day. Milne was quick off the mark and very evasive and better skilled, but wouldn't burn players off running in a straight line.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Sat 22 Feb 2020 3:07pm I want him in the team.

I know he doesn't win a lot of the ball but he's one of the most creative skillful guys in the team and he is an offensive weapon when he gets the ball in hand.

I like his delivery into f50 as well, always lowers the eyes and usually hits a target. And he finishes in front of goal pretty well too
Me too. Absolutely. If Gresham and Billings push into the midfield - then Hind is absolutely their replacement as a small forward. He has exceptional football skills and also happens to have elite breakaway speed.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

A lot of love for Hind on here with plenty feeling he is behind only Gresham and Billings as a small forward.

Given Lonies pre-injury form last season (and albeit a pre-season game) but his start to the year has been good, I think it's fair to have him in front of Hind as well.

It is rare to recruit by attracting players to the club then not pick them, think Kent last year who IMO was very poor not only by output but tackling and pressure prior to the Melbourne game where he dominated, but he was picked week in week out.

Based on this I think Butler gets picked if fit and having a decent pre-season.

Looks like three talls are going to be played with certainty Membrey, King/ Battle & Ryder/Marshall the starters, maybe Marsh?. This leaves 3 smalls for me being Gresham, Billings, Lonie & Butler with the first two playing high & rotating through mid and wings. Then we have Sinclair, Hind & Parker as the alternatives.

The reason I have Gresham and Billings forward is the inclusion of Hill & Jones who I suspect will play wing & Hannebery in the middle.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 1:24pm A lot of love for Hind on here with plenty feeling he is behind only Gresham and Billings as a small forward.

Given Lonies pre-injury form last season (and albeit a pre-season game) but his start to the year has been good, I think it's fair to have him in front of Hind as well.

It is rare to recruit by attracting players to the club then not pick them, think Kent last year who IMO was very poor not only by output but tackling and pressure prior to the Melbourne game where he dominated, but he was picked week in week out.

Looks like three talls are going to be played with certainty Membrey, King/ Battle & Ryder/Marshall the starters, maybe Marsh?. This leaves 3 smalls for me being Gresham, Billings, Lonie & Butler with the first two playing high & rotating through mid and wings. Then we have Sinclair, Hind & Parker as the alternatives.

The reason I have Gresham and Billings forward is the inclusion of Hill & Jones who I suspect will play wing & Hannebery in the middle.
All very good points. FWIW - I actually thought Kent was very good on Thursday night - he seemed to have his pace back and was definitely a defensive presence up forward. My thoughts on Hind was that he's not specifically a small forward-only - more that he has the smarts, skills and awareness to play there. His pace is also a point-of-difference weapon that we've not been used to up forward. However, if in the team - I think he's also versatile enough to push up to a wing (he certainly played well in a couple of games at Marvel late last year there) meaning that he could relieve Gresh and Billings to push forward. Lonie is interesting - due to his height and weight - he can pretty much only play as a deep small forward (he certainly did so effectively before the Adelaide game last year) whereas Hind could play in a few different positions.

Go you red, black & white warriors
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 1:24pm A lot of love for Hind on here with plenty feeling he is behind only Gresham and Billings as a small forward.

Just a point of correction...
I don’t think anyone is saying that Hind is definitively better than the majority of the players on the list you posted. Rather, outside of Gresh, Billing’s and say Clarke... he is on level with them.

The implication by some is that Hind may not even deserve opportunity because he’s so far behind so many but that is simply not the case.
Many ppl like myself are hoping that we’re at the end of the free pass era where some players got seemingly limitless opportunity despite output.

Where Longer was preferred ahead of Marshall
Where Newnes played for 150 odd games in a row, had to drop himself and was delisted
Where Weller got 10 touches a game and was an automatic then delisted.

We gained NOTHING by persevering with players that were horribly out of form for extended periods. It is absolutely the biggest loser strategy in the AFL and has been for the 20 odd years that I’ve watched

The hope for me is that on form, guys like Hind will get opportunity to shine if guys from your list are dropped or promoted accordingly opposed to a guy like Kent being an automatic on last year’s form
Last edited by skeptic on Mon 24 Feb 2020 1:59pm, edited 2 times in total.

To the top
SS Life Member

A couple of eye catching plays at AFL level

But, as the old story goes, a rain event does not signal the end of a drought

Hind has a very long way to go and is a depth player at this juncture

The competition for spots in the areas where Hind is also competing appears to be fierce - until our first loss!!!

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Free passes work both ways. Newnes and Weller are gone...for a reason, when they were at the club the cupboard was very, very bare and so the choice was a very difficult one, keep playing an AFL capable player who's not performing in the hope he can perform to the required level, OR pick a player you know can't make it at the AFL grade, those players are mostly gone too.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 6:05pm Free passes work both ways. Newnes and Weller are gone...for a reason, when they were at the club the cupboard was very, very bare and so the choice was a very difficult one, keep playing an AFL capable player who's not performing in the hope he can perform to the required level, OR pick a player you know can't make it at the AFL grade, those players are mostly gone too.
See I don’t agree with this

It doesn’t have to be one extreme or the other... it’s simply farcical to suggest that there were no other choices. It’s a fabrication... exactly at what point did we run out of small forwards or HFF.
the reality is a number of fringe players that were behind Newnes remain on the list.

To not identify that as flawed is very bizarre to me

Newnes played more than Parker, Sinclair, Paton, Phillips, Long, Coffield, Langlands and Hind to name a few.

To see him dropped a few times so those could get opportunity when they earned is not a revolutionary or extreme idea

Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 6:10pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 6:05pm Free passes work both ways. Newnes and Weller are gone...for a reason, when they were at the club the cupboard was very, very bare and so the choice was a very difficult one, keep playing an AFL capable player who's not performing in the hope he can perform to the required level, OR pick a player you know can't make it at the AFL grade, those players are mostly gone too.

It doesn’t have to be one extreme or the other... it’s simply farcical to suggest that there were no other choices. It’s a fabrication... exactly at what point did we run out of small forwards or HFF.
the reality is a number of fringe players that were behind Newnes remain on the list.

Fringe players are just that aren't they? Hind is well in that category which is evident by the amount of time it took him to get his debut. It's not unheard of for a player who takes a very long time to make his debut to secure his career but unfortunately for Hind the club recruited Buttler. If Hind pushes past Buttler and the other long line of players fighting for maybe the HFF or FP positions then he will have earnt it. The challenge is his and if he gets selected I will be wrapped.

Just on Buttler, we may soon see why the Tiges released him, so I'm glad he's going to have some very stiff competition.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 6:30pm

Fringe players are just that aren't they? Hind is well in that category which is evident by the amount of time it took him to get his debut. It's not unheard of for a player who takes a very long time to make his debut to secure his career but unfortunately for Hind the club recruited Buttler. If Hind pushes past Buttler and the other long line of players fighting for maybe the HFF or FP positions then he will have earnt it. The challenge is his and if he gets selected I will be wrapped.

Just on Buttler, we may soon see why the Tiges released him, so I'm glad he's going to have some very stiff competition.
I'm not sure if this means anything but Terry Wallet said during the broadcast that In 2017 he rated Buttler as the best Richmond small.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure if this means anything but Terry Wallet said during the broadcast that In 2017 he rated Buttler as the best Richmond small.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 7:08pm

Yeah isn't Buttler just one of so many facinating subplots that will playout between now and the first 6 weeks of the season or until the side starts to settle under Ratts.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 7:46pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 7:08pm

Yeah isn't Buttler just one of so many facinating subplots that will playout between now and the first 6 weeks of the season or until the side starts to settle under Ratts.
The good thing about Dan B is that he is very clean and efficient. He really makes every possession count.

I'm personally excited to see how Jack Lonie goes and if he can go up another level. He has some neat tricks and has become a bit of a go to forward and target. People forget how bloody good he was last year before he got injured.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020 7:53pm

I'm personally excited to see how Jack Lonie goes and if he can go up another level. He has some neat tricks and has become a bit of a go to forward and target. People forget how bloody good he was last year before he got injured.
Lonie turned the corner last year. He also seems to have changed his body this year.

At present I think he is a lock for the first small forward spot, and the others are all then fighting over the other positions.

Up for grabs too is how many small forwards that Ratts decides to play in the 22.

Really good form may see Ratts playing more than two in the 22.
Butler looks like the second small forward picked, and in part as he also looks comfortable up the ground.

Gresh will play as a mid come small forward, and so would Ratts also then play a specialised small forward like Kent.

Hind can play forward or back. If Long plays back then Hind probably will not be in the 22.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
outside66
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 21 Feb 2020 7:12pm
outside66 wrote: Fri 21 Feb 2020 3:57pm
saynta wrote: Fri 21 Feb 2020 1:18pm Where is he at. Wasn't named in the 26 man side or amongst the 4 emergencies nor injured or managed players. Not heard hide nor hair of him actually.
We bumped into him at Moorabbin Safeway before the game yesterday. He said that he'll be playing next week against Hawthorn.
The Pies on March 8th, at 3:50 pm, at MRR whatever that is...
Morwell Rec Reserve maybe?
Nah, the bushfire game against Hawks this Friday

To the top
SS Life Member

Only scanned the Stats and saw the highlights reel

Lonie kicked 4

There was one kicked from a contested possession but one other was Membrey hand balling to Lonie on the goal line Another looked to be the result of a very soft free kick

So were the 4 goals earned goals and how was the defensive pressure?

There are times goals kicked do not tell the full story because they can be “gifted”

Secret Kiel
Club Player

To the top wrote: Tue 25 Feb 2020 10:10pm Only scanned the Stats and saw the highlights reel

Lonie kicked 4

There was one kicked from a contested possession but one other was Membrey hand balling to Lonie on the goal line Another looked to be the result of a very soft free kick

There are times goals kicked do not tell the full story because they can be “gifted”
The game you lose badly and only managed a very low score but one player kicked 4 goals might suggest "gifted goals" as the opposition didn't need to pay you much respect for a multitude of reasons.

In a game you win and score more than 100 points suggests the forward line setups might be working with a large number of scorers and a couple with multiple goals.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 26 Feb 2020 10:12am
To the top wrote: Tue 25 Feb 2020 10:10pm Only scanned the Stats and saw the highlights reel

Lonie kicked 4

The game you lose badly and only managed a very low score but one player kicked 4 goals might suggest "gifted goals" as the opposition didn't need to pay you much respect for a multitude of reasons.

In a game you win and score more than 100 points suggests the forward line setups might be working with a large number of scorers and a couple with multiple goals.
This article states Lonie covered 13K for the night which is deemed "elite" for his position (again, according to the article) and was the highest contested F50 ball winner for the night.

Seems the 4 goals even the one gifted by Membrey, was reward for hard running.

Lonie was very, very good before injury last year and I'm tipping will be at that level again this season.

If that game does not cement a starting spot for R1 I'd be shocked.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/567978/l ... inst-hawks

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 26 Feb 2020 10:35am
Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 26 Feb 2020 10:12am

Lonie kicked 4

This article states Lonie covered 13K for the night which is deemed "elite" for his position (again, according to the article) and was the highest contested F50 ball winner for the night.

Seems the 4 goals even the one gifted by Membrey, was reward for hard running.

Lonie was very, very good before injury last year and I'm tipping will be at that level again this season.

If that game does not cement a starting spot for R1 I'd be shocked.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/567978/l ... inst-hawks
Can you lock in a Rd1 spot after 1 pre season game?

That point aside do you remember the game he did his knee? we had the crows measure up until that point. Was it just me or was that the straw that broke the back with regards to built up momentum to that point in the season. Was it just the final knock down for the team after all of the setbacks with injuries and the like up to that point and Lones injury just ripped the last bit of jam outa the donut. It just looked like it took a few weeks after to replicate the same energy and intensity that was there in the first 4 weeks.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Hind is like too many of our players. Shoulda woulda coulda types. Now it's time for him, Kent Parker Lonie etc to actually step up. All have the ability to be really good but I am yet to be blown away by any of them