Saints v dogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v dogs

saintspremiers wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 10:16am
Dictator Dan has overreacted and is now tying to claw back some of the damage he’s done.
So true. Pity flights are cancelled otherwise he could have f*cked off to Hawaii like a real leader! :lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 10:54pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 9:42pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 8:40pm
StPeter wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 7:18pm None of the next 4 games on free to air TV.

Terrible time slots.

We have been shafted again!
Murdoch would have pulled rank and demanded the fixture be geared exclusively to help Fox from going broke. The Mickey Mouse cup will be corrupt to the core.
Pffft, Murdoch is small-fry, he’s just bowing to his masters.

Every free-thinker can see the Rothschild’s and Illuminati (big GWS fans) are pushing their night Grand Final agenda (It’s well documented GWS play better at night) by tanking the day football spectacle and pushing all the blockbusters and top teams to night games, softening up the football public to be more accepting of a move to the night GF in 2020 (done deal), and ushering in a GWS (AFL/Rothschild/Illuminati love child) era which opens the door to moving foundation Victorian clubs interstate, the AFL’s obvious endgame.

Look into it.

f****** bulls***., :roll:
He was taking the piss Saynta.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 10:33am
Dictator Dan has overreacted and is now tying to claw back some of the damage he’s done.
So true. Pity flights are cancelled otherwise he could have f*cked off to Hawaii like a real leader! :lol:
Pathetic post. Really scrapping the barrel there Chuk.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 10:44am
StPeter wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 7:18pm None of the next 4 games on free to air TV.

Terrible time slots.

Murdoch would have pulled rank and demanded the fixture be geared exclusively to help Fox from going broke. The Mickey Mouse cup will be corrupt to the core.

Every free-thinker can see the Rothschild’s and Illuminati (big GWS fans) are pushing their night Grand Final agenda (It’s well documented GWS play better at night) by tanking the day football spectacle and pushing all the blockbusters and top teams to night games, softening up the football public to be more accepting of a move to the night GF in 2020 (done deal), and ushering in a GWS (AFL/Rothschild/Illuminati love child) era which opens the door to moving foundation Victorian clubs interstate, the AFL’s obvious endgame.

Look into it.

Don't think so.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Nailed it re Cedar Meats.

But isn't that a bit contradictory?

The reason community transmissions are low, is surely attributed to the social controls that were put in place isn't it?

If the Cedar Meats workers and their families all went to the footy, to packed offices, went out to dinner, got on a plane etc. etc. then the outbreak would be far, far greater than the 100 or so it was limited to.

But they didn't. They basically all went home (presumably).

And that's the whole dilemma. We know the spread looks like with no restrictions. And we know what it looks like with heavy restrictions. But we don't know what it looks like somewhere in the middle.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Poor Dan is sitting on his hands as he hasn't been able to get hold of Ralph Edwards & Peter Marshall to tell him what action to take during this crisis. I hear he keeps checking his texts and refreshing his email every 2 minutes eagerly awaiting instruction.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 10:44am

Terrible time slots.

Look into it.

100% legit.

I’ve got YouTube videos and everything.

Wake up sheeple.

Look into it 👍

:D

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 10:50am
Pathetic post. Really scrapping the barrel there Chuk.
I personally wouldn’t scrap a barrel, I’d rather reuse it somewhere, maybe in the garden?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 9:04am

Terrible time slots.

The AFL would be driving a 'maximised' fixture harder than anyone.

The next TV rights deal will potentially determine the fate of the game.

We may never, ever be allowed to attend packed stadiums again. Footy may become a 'TV sport' like rugby league.

So the AFL need to prove to the potential buyers that people still watch it on TV when there are no crowds.

The AFL have clearly stacked it accordingly.
Absolutely the subtle point I make, integrity and fairness is being eroded even much further than it ever has in the pursuit of profit and COVID-19 will continue to be used as an excuse for crappy decision making long after the health crisis is over.

Media right's money has peaked and that realisation was known befoe COVID-19 and so as the games main revenue source, Gil and Co will resort to textbook executive management 101 to hit their financial KPIs with slash and burn.

It is very fertile ground for the second tier comps to do what the AFL cannot do and that is design a competition from the ground up that is based on traditional sporting values with fairness and integrity being core characteristics.

The AFL were very quick to dump the second tier comps when the going got tough and so there shouldn't be any concern they need to kowtow to remain on the financial teet. As someone with connections to a VFL side I am hearing there is a lot of discontent and anger at how quickly the AFL took on the "every man for himself" approach.

Now it's an uncomfortable truth but it's pretty clear the AFL will lose a club or more out of Victoria in the next 3 to 5 years and you don't have to think too hard about which clubs are vulnerable.

If our club doesn't get a flag out of this current list then I fear our club could be told to leave the house. Maybe winning a flag doesn't save us if our debt is still uncontrolled.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Cut the negative s*** for f***'s sake. You are ruining every thread.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

ace
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 10:31pm
Ghost Like wrote: Mon 25 May 2020 10:01pm

Terrible time slots.

Situation normal. Collingwood will play about 3 non free to air / non prime time games and we've copped one.
Another fact COVID-19 will be blamed for, a corrupt, compromised and shameless (shambolic) AFL. We'd crossed that bridge decades before bat soup was served at empty stadiums.

Fox is stuggling big time and was before COVID-19.
A regular guest on Sky Business channel told me that the channel had no-one selling advertising, they relied on advertisers approaching them.
Guess which business channel went under.
Murdoch management team brilliant.

Some of the people from the channel have now set up an online internet business channel ausbiz.com.au

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 9:50pm Yeah, nah...we're screwed...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/st- ... 54wnk.html
I don't think it's on the radar yet for the fans from the vulnerable clubs because they've been led to believe Gil told them he "intends" bringing 18 clubs out of the crisis. It's interesting to note the AFL invited Big Ed and Jeff Kennett and Andrew Basset onto the committee of the so-called COVID-19 war cabinet, now there is a cynical view in AFL circles that this was done to get known provocateurs on the inside to keep them on-side. But who is the odd one out in that trio and is it not surprising he's been voiceless.

I've been very critical of how we were rushed into an agreement that clearly puts the club in a weakened position to fight for survival when that day of reckoning comes. It's possible we could rack up another $10 million dollars worth of debt before years end and we will be at the mercy of banks and the new administration type management we are now operating under.

The AFL is signaling early what it thinks about our club's future by dealing us a crappy fixture in terms of revenue making opportunities.

So the big question is this: where will the revenue come from.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

What do we expect after 8 years of mediocrity and mostly unwatchable football?

Fix the on-field and the off-field will follow. We wasted the last 2 years (at least) with Richo which has only further damaged the St Kilda product.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 10:45pm ... and we will be at the mercy of banks and the new administration type management we are now operating under.
I don't know why you keep saying that.

We've been at the mercy of creditors (ie. Banks) and the AFL for the past 100 years pretty much.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Team I'm predicting we'll see

B: Geary, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Roberton, Carlisle, Long
C: Hill, Steele, Hannebery
HF: Butler, Membrey, Billings
F: Lonie, Marshall, King

Foll: Ryder, Gresham, Jones
Int: Clark, Dunstan, Ross, Kent

Team I'd like to see

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HF: Billings, Battle, Gresham
F: Parker, Membrey, King

Foll: Marshall, Jones, Ross
Int: Clark, Coffield, Hind, Marsh

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 11:43pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 10:45pm ... and we will be at the mercy of banks and the new administration type management we are now operating under.

We've been at the mercy of creditors (ie. Banks) and the AFL for the past 100 years pretty much.
A new paradigm now. We signed an agreement in March that was a game changer.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 11:43pm

The old paradigm started towards the end of the last recession we had and was ratified in 1990 with a new comp which was largely funded by favourable poker machine laws being introduced. Ironically the man that gave us life via poker machines is now telling us we have 3 years to prove we are sustainable. In the age of pokies and gambling money and record media rights deals we have enjoyed hedonistic times and drank from the teet of the cash cow. The teet runneth very dry now and it was running dry before COVID-19. The new agreement we signed in March signals a much different era. It's an era where we've been told there is no cash cow and that we need to sustain ourselves. Something we've never been able to do in the whole of the 100+ history of our club you refer to. So where does the revenue come from in this new paradigm.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 10:45pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 26 May 2020 9:50pm Yeah, nah...we're screwed...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/st- ... 54wnk.html
I don't think it's on the radar yet for the fans from the vulnerable clubs because they've been led to believe Gil told them he "intends" bringing 18 clubs out of the crisis. It's interesting to note the AFL invited Big Ed and Jeff Kennett and Andrew Basset onto the committee of the so-called COVID-19 war cabinet, now there is a cynical view in AFL circles that this was done to get known provocateurs on the inside to keep them on-side. But who is the odd one out in that trio and is it not surprising he's been voiceless.
I thought it was his brother, who is on the Commission, that was on this "war cabinet".

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 27 May 2020 8:39am
The old paradigm started towards the end of the last recession we had and was ratified in 1990 with a new comp which was largely funded by favourable poker machine laws being introduced. Ironically the man that gave us life via poker machines is now telling us we have 3 years to prove we are sustainable. In the age of pokies and gambling money and record media rights deals we have enjoyed hedonistic times and drank from the teet of the cash cow. The teet runneth very dry now and it was running dry before COVID-19. The new agreement we signed in March signals a much different era. It's an era where we've been told there is no cash cow and that we need to sustain ourselves. Something we've never been able to do in the whole of the 100+ history of our club you refer to. So where does the revenue come from in this new paradigm.
My view is, that we wouldn't even exist if not for the AFL's trickle down economic model.

We can't generate the revenue required to function as a modern day AFL club. We could barely do it the suburban VFL comp, where costs were a pittance compared to what they are in the AFL these days.

To be fair, I think only about 5 or 6 clubs could actually survive on their own in the AFL. But having said that, if there was only a 5 or 6 team comp then they'd all fall over anyway, as sponsors and broadcasters wouldn't be interested in such a tiny sport.

So it's a delicate balance of the small needing the big thriving to survive - but the big also needing the small to exist to survive themselves.

So I think we've always been at the mercy of banks, the AFL and even big clubs. But as per above, they've needed us too. So there wasn't really much to worry about (other than getting rheemed with fixturing and having nothing to offer free agents that big clubs can't).

The difference now obviously is that the banks, the AFL and the big clubs are in the s***. They still need us to maintain the current comp - but the question whether or not the current comp is actually even viable or possible any more.

If it is, we're fine.

If it's not - we're gone.

Unfortunately, in a comp where costs are much lower and clubs play at suburban grounds, we may actually be poised to do Ok on our own. We wouldn't need 70k at every game we play and the 100k members required just to pay the bills.

But it's unlikely the AFL will pursue that type of comp, as they're greedy fuckers.

And I suppose given we owe $12m, we don't really get much of a day in it.
Last edited by BarryGrogan on Wed 27 May 2020 9:46am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 27 May 2020 1:39am Team I'm predicting we'll see

Team I'd like to see

Certainly shows there's competition for certain spots.
I understand the desire to get Paton in, he is quality.

I want to see more of the Marshall / Ryder combo, I believe it has benefits, especially as King finds his feet.

I liked Butler's tackling and pace, I think he's part of the 22. Lonie deserves a shot, at this point. Parker & Hind are certainly next in line.

I do like the flexibility of Marsh and Battle but both may be horses for courses.

St Plugger
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 27 May 2020 1:39am
Team I'd like to see

I like this line up.A team for now and into the future.
Strong marking forwards who can kick with a degree of accuracy, a couple of playmakers around the packs and an unpredictable X factor player. The backline has some steel in it. [You'd probably have to have the skipper in atm though, but as an interchange.]

Sanctorum
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 27 May 2020 1:39am Team I'm predicting we'll see

Team I'd like to see

Like it or not Luke Dunstan is a certain starter, one of the Saints best against the Roos in Rd 1, scoring the highest points (100) in AFL Fantasy, 92 in Supercoach: he is one of a number of midfielders who are going to become guns under Ratten's coaching this year.

So the only changes from your predictive team is Paton in for Geary, but that won't happen even though he only had 15 disposals against North, (11 of which were handballs - not good enough for the skipper of the team who should lead by example), and select Coffield in place of Kent.

As for the Saints having a tough draw for the next 4 rounds, we will soon enough find out where the team is at in 2020, and given the extraordinary circumstances of the postponed and now shortened season, anything is possible.

Losing to North Melbourne in Rd 1 was probably not indicative as by the time they ran onto the ground the AFL had already announced cessation of the season, though that should in reality not be a valid excuse, Bradley Hill in particular was way below his best with only 12 disposals, 58 Supercoach points, which is probably his worst game ever and won't happen again!

Results In the last 5 games:

St Kilda 2 v Western Bulldogs 3
St Kilda 2 v Collingwood 3
St Kilda 1 v Richmond 4
St Kilda 4 v Carlton 1

The Saints have an infinitely better team (on paper) than in the past 5 of these encounters, so there's every chance they could win their fair share this year.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I couldn't give she ite who we play and when we play .
I just want the team to make the most of every opportunity and kick effing goals .
Skills by foot were shocking against North and cost us the game .
If we don't change this we aint going nowhere .

In red white and black from 73
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I just hope we step away from the too many small model.

IMO it’s a loser strategy unless the majority of those smells are elite
Gresh, Lonie, Butler, Kent = too many too limited, easily edged out under pressure players.

There’s room only for 2. One of them Gresh, the other is based on form and personally I like Lonie or even Parker