Seb Ross role

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Seb Ross role

To the top wrote: Sat 04 Jul 2020 11:02pm In regards Ross, I would feel more confident if after Hannebery’s injury, Ross had taken on Hannebery’s responsibilities in the centre square and around the ground positioning himself to Marshall

To replicate Hannebery you need experience coupled with clean and quick hands and with kicking skills as and when they are required

Ross has experience

My observation is that Ross established as a lock down player on an opposition mid and that remains his value

This value has diminished due to Steele who is an improvement on Ross

The immediate conundrum of Steele, Ross and Dunstan is eased by Dunstan’s unfortunate and untimely injury

To see a couple of young mids bring another dimension in support of what Steele brings will only improve our side

In the same way Coffield, Clark, Long, Patton and Wilkie have improved our defence by adding another dimension

You can never have enough match winners
In an ideal world - Bytel will be the replacement for Hanneberry and Byrnes is the replacement for Jack Steven. Importantly - Hunter and Coff were both recruited as mids. Imagine when those two are good to go getting minutes in the middle too? That is when we will have developed the 8-10 players of requisite quality to run through as part of that rotation. All different shapes and sizes and skillsets.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Sanctorum
Club Player

Too true Saintmatt, that's precisely my issue with Seb Ross, he just doesn't punish the opposition enough when he gets the ball, which to me is the true mark of a good midfielder. It's all very well to be a "nice" player and rack up lots of disposals, but it's what impact they have in setting up shots at goal that really matters and wins games.

All of the gun midfielders out there today are hard, aggressive and attacking players, it's what I see in Zak Jones but we need more like that....

Still, I sense that Ratten is changing the way the Saints midfield performs, and if that changes Seb's role and makes him a more complete player then that's great!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Seb does just fine afaic and I'm sure he performs more than adequately the role the club sets for him each week. Been amongst our best players the last two games too.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't a coaching issue with the young Seb that he needed to be convinced/assured he was good enough to play first grade. A modest guy who has been a real asset for the club and possibly under appreciated. He has been through tough times since his debut: coaching circuses, player turn over, no Lenny or similar as a mentor, poor squad. And playing in the middle you are against the cream of the opposition every week. Seb's ok - in any role.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 11:02am Wasn't a coaching issue with the young Seb that he needed to be convinced/assured he was good enough to play first grade. A modest guy who has been a real asset for the club and possibly under appreciated. He has been through tough times since his debut: coaching circuses, player turn over, no Lenny or similar as a mentor, poor squad. And playing in the middle you are against the cream of the opposition every week. Seb's ok - in any role.
"possibly under appreciated." ?????

f*** , now that is an understatement. At least on here he is under appreciated. But only by those who failed to recognise his abilities in the first place. Can't admit that they were dead wrong and still trying to justify their lack of footballing nous.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Quoting Saynta: "possibly under appreciated." ?????

f*** , now that is an understatement. At least on here he is under appreciated. But only by those who failed to recognise his abilities in the first place. Can't admit that they were dead wrong and still trying to justify their lack of footballing nous. End quote

Forumites, none of those reading this of course, sometimes have the memory span of a goldfish. I find being able to opinionate on here without being at all balanced or even slightly correct one of its nicest features. Most therapeutic over the last few years.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 07 Jul 2020 11:56am Quoting Saynta: "possibly under appreciated." ?????

f*** , now that is an understatement. At least on here he is under appreciated. But only by those who failed to recognise his abilities in the first place. Can't admit that they were dead wrong and still trying to justify their lack of footballing nous. End quote

Forumites, none of those reading this of course, sometimes have the memory span of a goldfish. I find being able to opinionate on here without being at all balanced or even slightly correct one of its nicest features. Most therapeutic over the last few years.
:wink: I wasn't having a dig at you. :wink: