Hannebery pick really hurting us ATM

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hannebery pick really hurting us ATM

apples1403 wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 1:24pm Still think there is a chance Dan will come good
of course there is.
and the Easter Bunny will come in November due to Covid!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 8:53am If he played against the Lions, we win. Amoungst many attributes, he was recruited for his onfield leadership and with Billings demonstrating once again he has zero to offer in that space, right now I'd much rather be taking Hanners into a finals campaign, which is another reason he was recruited.

Is Richo to blame for Billings lack of onfield leadership, maybe it's time to completely rid ouselves of all players who were recruited while Richo was coach.
Or rid all players of Richo's coaching.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It is not so much the cost, nor is it the draft pick (which did not need to be added), what hurts us is his inability to get on the field. An inability that was flagged before he signed his retirement deal.

To be honest it is impossible to say with any certainty that the 2020 Hannebery is the difference in any games we've or any finals we might play.

His St Kilda record suggests that the chances are about even he'd get 20 possessions or break down before half time. No guarantees with the St Kilda version of a once exceptional footballer. We are only left with hope.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:01am Just what we really need. Another f****** thread bagging a saints player.
Also, don’t really think people are s***bagging Hannebery. I certainly don’t begrudge him signing a lucrative contract later in his career on the back of becoming injury prone.
My beef is with the club for signing him for four years at substantial dollars as a high end recruit. Looks like a bit of desperation to get of the Richo years funk and lack of due diligence to discover just how cooked he is after signing him up.

Bottom line is he was recruited to play footy and add class to our midfield. If he’s not on the park not much point in having him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From saints.com.au

"Another Saint who hasn’t given up hope of featuring in 2020 is Hannebery, who has stepped up his running sessions in the past week.

The experienced midfielder is hoping to re-join the Saints in Noosa at the start of September as he continues his recovery from a hamstring tendon injury.

A return date hasn’t yet been set by the club, but there is optimism that Hannebery could be available if the Saints were able to play finals."

The guy could still help win us a flag

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 5:53pm From saints.com.au

"Another Saint who hasn’t given up hope of featuring in 2020 is Hannebery, who has stepped up his running sessions in the past week.

The experienced midfielder is hoping to re-join the Saints in Noosa at the start of September as he continues his recovery from a hamstring tendon injury.

A return date hasn’t yet been set by the club, but there is optimism that Hannebery could be available if the Saints were able to play finals."

Hope you’re right. Am commenting based on history to this point. Hope he gets on the field and is influential.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 6:12pm
saynta wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 5:53pm From saints.com.au

Hope you’re right. Am commenting based on history to this point. Hope he gets on the field and is influential.
👍👨‍🦳

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Really? To be honest I don't think it is hurting us at all.
We traded bugger all for him and it's not like we chose him over someone else to come to the club.
NO-ONE WANTED TO COME!
We were a rabble and we couldn't get any decent player across at the time.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 6:41pm Really? To be honest I don't think it is hurting us at all.
We traded bugger all for him and it's not like we chose him over someone else to come to the club.
NO-ONE WANTED TO COME!
So true IluvH however the baying mob want a wretched dastardly scapegoat for our current dire 6th position and also for losing to a Top 2 95% full strength Brisbane by 2 points on their home deck where they have won 14 out of their last 16 games

So I please implore you to get with the programme and choose your scapegoat - Hanners or Billings?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 7:15pm
IluvHarvey wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 6:41pm Really? To be honest I don't think it is hurting us at all.
NO-ONE WANTED TO COME!
So true IluvH however the baying mob want a wretched dastardly scapegoat for our current dire 6th position and also for losing to a Top 2 95% full strength Brisbane by 2 points on their home deck where they have won 14 out of their last 16 games

So I please implore you to get with the programme and choose your scapegoat - Hanners or Billings?
😀😃😄😁😆😅🤣😂🙂🙃😉😊😇😛😜🤪😝🤗

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 7:15pm
NO-ONE WANTED TO COME!

Long bow. Don’t think anyone is blaming Hannebery for losing to Brisbane . It’s just a fact that he’s played ten games in two years which is way below what I and surely everyone else hoped for when he signed up. It’s disappointing, that’s all. Plenty of upside to our year so far, but Dan the Man ain’t one of them.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

NO-ONE WANTED TO COME!
Everyone to there own opinion obviously I don't share your view but hey mate this what a forum is for put things up for debate I think it's probably 50/50 some think it's not hurting us & some think it is .I don't blame Hanneberry it's not his fault but I do hold the club accountable

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 1:55pm
saynta wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:01am Just what we really need. Another f****** thread bagging a saints player.
Just what we need. More glossing over stupid decisions in the name of misplaced loyalty.
What absolute crap. I don't believe it was a stupid decision in the first place and I really f****** object to you saying my loyalty is misplaced .
AND

I'M GLOSSING OVER NOTHING.

It was a gamble well worth taking in my f****** opinion and the crap being posted on here about Hanners salary are just that crap.

Others can see that.

He cost us f****** nothing.

It is just the rules from preventing me from posting what I really think about you post and the personal attack therein. f****** offensive AFAIC.

Anyone would think it was your f****** money.

🖕🖕🖕
Last edited by saynta on Tue 25 Aug 2020 8:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 8:21pm
Just what we need. More glossing over stupid decisions in the name of misplaced loyalty.
What absolute crap. I don't believe it was a stupid decision in the first place and I really f****** object to you saying my loyalty is misplaced .
AND

It was a gamble well worth taking in my f****** opinion and the crap being posted on here about Hanners salary are just that crap.

Others can see that.

It is just the rules from preventing me from posting what I really think about you post and the personal attack therein. f****** offensive AFAIC.

🖕🖕🖕
Easy Tiger. No personal offence intended. Sorry if you’re insulted. Maybe would have been better to say that loyalty to the club is not a reason to not debate D.H’s value.
$500k a year for 5 games a year is not really good value.
Risk worth taking? Maybe. Disappointing outcome so far though. See what happens.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I agree. Let's see what happens and make a judgement at the end of Hanners career with the saints, not the start of it.🤐

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

AND

Others can see that.

🖕🖕🖕
Saynta no disrespect mate but that's your opinion & fair enough but everyone has an opinion just because it not how you see it doesn't mean you need to go on a rant . I don't agree with some of your posts but I don't go off the deep end about it. Have a nice day :)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 8:47pm
AND

Others can see that.

🖕🖕🖕
Saynta no disrespect mate but that's your opinion & fair enough but everyone has an opinion just because it not how you see it doesn't mean you need to go on a rant . I don't agree with some of your posts but I don't go off the deep end about it. Have a nice day :)
You too mate, but just think for a moment how Hanners must feel if he were silly enough to read any of the crap posted on this forum about him or the saints decision to sign him

We are all rightfully agast at the abuse hurled at Robbie Muir from both sides of the fence. The comments made about Hanners are not racist but hey are still a form of abuse and hurtful in their own right.

I will never apologise for defending any saints player where I feel it's unwarrented. You have never seen me really rant. 😷😷😷That wasn't one of them.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:01pm
bangaulegend wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 8:47pm
AND

Others can see that.

🖕🖕🖕
You too mate, but just think for a moment how Hanners must feel if he were silly enough to read any of the crap posted on this forum about him or the saints decision to sign him

We are all rightfully agast at the abuse hurled at Robbie Muirfrom both sides of the fence. The comments made about hanners are not racist but hey are still a form of abuse and hurtful in their own right.

I will never apologise for defending any saints player where I feel it's unwarrented. You have never seen me really rant. 😷😷😷That wasn't one of them.
As I have said mate I don't blame Dan I blame the Club & I know you don't agree but this is my opinion I don't want or expect you to, but I do think everyone should be able to say what they want without the over the top agro.This is a forum I thought that's what it designed for

saintkid
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 8:46pm I agree. Let's see what happens and make a judgement at the end of Hanners career with the saints, not the start of it.🤐
Hey why don't we keep on topic, without all the emotive baggage to this thread. There are some valid points made here.

You can't honestly call it the start of Hannebery's career at the saints anymore. The guy has virtually completed two years on the list already for minimal return.

Ryder is the one at the start of his career and his 'investment' return already has paid off after one season. He's been excellent and durable to date with his on-field performances for the club and a stark contrast to Hannebery.

Sanctorum
Club Player

It's far too soon to write off Dan Hannebery, there are many elite players who have come back after long injury layoffs to regain full form, and even at age 30 next year he could well help the team to play finals.

As for the cost, I expect his contract will provide for the eventuality of long term injury and early retirement, if that should eventuate.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:27pm It's far too soon to write off Dan Hannebery, there are many elite players who have come back after long injury layoffs to regain full form, and even at age 30 next year he could well help the team to play finals.

As for the cost, I expect his contract will provide for the eventuality of long term injury and early retirement, if that should eventuate.
Why would he retire when he can limp through 5 games a year for his $500k plus.
Sort of like the blokes who hurt themselves water skiing on Sunday dose themselves on pain killers on Monday enter the workplace, clock on and go "s*** I've done me back". Compo, rehab, rinse and repeat!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I hope he gets back for the finals because I think he will make a real difference to our midfield when we run out in our first final since 2011 in a month or so.

He will be a real asset then. Just get him right for that first final.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintDippa
Club Player

Is Hannebery teaching Bytel/Mids stoppage or inside skills? Or the Swans all for the team mentality? Experienced warrior, sure not on field but off field I'd suggest club getting great value.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintDippa wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 10:46am Is Hannebery teaching Bytel/Mids stoppage or inside skills? Or the Swans all for the team mentality? Experienced warrior, sure not on field but off field I'd suggest club getting great value.
He's definitely been teaching Bytel. Their bond is deep and close (as evidenced by Hanners announcement of Bytel's debut). Much like Worpel and MItchell - The Saints ppl I know in and around the club talk about Bytel hanging off every word and on-training ground action of Hanners.

There'll always be debate as to whether we got playing value from Hanners but, I don't think there's much doubt that he's doing an excellent job in bringing the group along to a more professional/level of excellence way of doing things.

Go you red, black & white warriors
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 11:04am
SaintDippa wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 10:46am Is Hannebery teaching Bytel/Mids stoppage or inside skills? Or the Swans all for the team mentality? Experienced warrior, sure not on field but off field I'd suggest club getting great value.
He's definitely been teaching Bytel. Their bond is deep and close (as evidenced by Hanners announcement of Bytel's debut). Much like Worpel and MItchell - The Saints ppl I know in and around the club talk about Bytel hanging off every word and on-training ground action of Hanners.

There'll always be debate as to whether we got playing value from Hanners but, I don't think there's much doubt that he's doing an excellent job in bringing the group along to a more professional/level of excellence way of doing things.
Well that really is quite encouraging.

Would be great to Hannebery back for finals. If he can get back to even close to his best, he would elevate us to a top 4 team