Team vs Hawks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Team vs Hawks

Do we have Foote and Stephen again.
They seemed to be rusted on to us!

One year will be our year
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 8:17pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 7:56pm Surprised Carlisle is not back - he must be recovering from an injury?

What up with Roberton surely one of them should be playing?
From all accounts he has had some back soreness this week and they probably thought he would find it hard to come up next match with a 4 day break.
Also we should be able to have sufficient defenders against Hawks, and keep him for West Coast match.
It’s likely we will need to win two matches to make finals so a fresh Carlisle and Membery would be good.

WCE have an abundance of tall forwards and we most likely will need 2 wins out of 3 games to make the 8.

I would rather have Carlisle in for WCE than for Hawks if he can only play one of them.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Barometer
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 7:57pm
Peanut Farm wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 7:49pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 7:44pm Really unimpressed with this

Looks to me like Ratten’s preoccupation with small forwards is going to cost us badly.

Cannot believe Carlisle misses again or that Kent survives.

We’re persevering with a structure that doesn’t work and gambling on the most inconsistent and limited players in the hardest role on the grade to produce against the odds.
No Carlisle too, when I see selections like this it makes me feel that I hope we lose & Ratten learns a lesson just like Richo. Of course I do hope we win but this weeks selection just baffles.
Jono Marsh is not up to AFL standard.
The thing is though... like Richo, Ratten appears not to be learning.

He seems more intent on playing to a particular structure design that works in his head but is not being replicated in performance.
Has a lack of options though. Our list balance is crap. The only uninjured midfielders are 1st years in Bytel/Byrnes. We have 10 defenders not getting a game though. 10!
Replace Kent/Lonie with Hannebery/Gresham and its a much better side.
Offseason we need more mids.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Jack Lonie again really !!! No Savage or Parker ? I just don't get why they keep picking him for a game doesn't perform gets dropped & gets picked again. IMO don't see why he gets a gig when we have a lot of other options that haven't been explored yet . I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't get it I mean I really don't get it

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 8:35pm
nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 8:03pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 7:57pm
Peanut Farm wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 7:49pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 7:44pm Really unimpressed with this

Looks to me like Ratten’s preoccupation with small forwards is going to cost us badly.

Cannot believe Carlisle misses again or that Kent survives.

We’re persevering with a structure that doesn’t work and gambling on the most inconsistent and limited players in the hardest role on the grade to produce against the odds.
No Carlisle too, when I see selections like this it makes me feel that I hope we lose & Ratten learns a lesson just like Richo. Of course I do hope we win but this weeks selection just baffles.
Jono Marsh is not up to AFL standard.
The thing is though... like Richo, Ratten appears not to be learning.

He seems more intent on playing to a particular structure design that works in his head but is not being replicated in performance.

By most measures we're over performing against expectations.

Not sure we should be second guessing anyone at the club at the moment. If we lose this weekend sure go for it but to date I wouldn't have thought so.
Respectfully can’t agree with that at all...

That’s the logic that saw us carry a plethora of underperforming players in 2010 right to the GF off the backs of Riewoldt, Hayes, Goddard etc.

It was fine because we were winning and the players that could have made the difference were underdeveloped

Nothing good comes from persevering with sustained bad form but more so, this structure is not an effective one.

We were beaten in the midfield last week and have not brought in midfielders
And we had limited flexibility when our structure down back and up forward was getting shown up.

Our response is not to address either problem...

Bit more so than that... this structure is a incredibly SH1##y one IMO. 4 players in the team that don’t get much ball, can’t play anywhere else, haven’t kicked a lot of goals (with the exception of one), haven’t been in great form... and generally can’t contribute unless they kick 2-3 goals off limited opportunities.

Even if they blitz it up vs a team that has nothing to play for... it’s a really bad strategy.

Could you imagine going in with this team against Geelong... they beat us by double than what they did
We beat Melbourne everywhere but in converting last week.

We won the centre clearances 11 to 2.

Granted our entries could have been better but it was our forward line which failed us. We've made two changes in that area.

Regarding structure it remains to be seen how effective it will be in the long run, plenty to like about it but does have its weaknesses.

The structure has also seen some evolution in an odd year multiple times. Two rucks vs one. Carlisle vs an extra small.

This all in Rattens first year as coach, with significant list changes and a very unusual year.

No worries if you disagree with the changes but a bit harsh to say the club and rats plan isn't evolving and they're not learning. Most think we lack top end talent so they system/game plan must be doing something right.

For what it's worth I wouldn't have brought in Marsh or Lonie but both have some good attributes and Marsh has potential.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 7:39pm Superman can play two positions at the same time.

L
E
G
E
N
D

Just ask Ted superman can do anything :wink:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Still a very experienced Hawks outfit out there tomorrow.
A bit like playing Geelong - full of 200 gamers every time you play them.
Any side with premiership players like Frawley, Shiels, Breust, and Gunston in it will provide a challenge. Not to be underestimated.

I think Lonie is a good choice as at least he will hunt the ball and is creative, and I've liked what I have seen of Marsh when he has played.

It's a young St. Kilda team, but Hawthorn have made seven changes so they'll be unsettled.

Obviously the selectors have gone with a side for a wet afternoon and left Max in to provide a contest at FF and bring the ball to ground.

Think it is a good idea to keep Carlisle fresh so long as Battle plays. We are going to need Carlisle desperately against the Eagles and the Giants. Important player for the finals.

We need to come out in the first quarter like we were doing until the past two weeks. In the rain you need to score quickly and be economical with your possessions.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
BadRossco
Club Player

Everyone assumes this game will be a cake walk but looking at the sides if the Hawks are having a crack they may have a few less passengers than us, we have a few fairly ordinary players in the side so let's hope the Hawks have put the cue in the rack and have their eyes set on draft pick three.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 8:46pm Ten goal win is par based on us playing
The Box Hill Hawks.

It’s a shame Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs isn’t playing.
I agree we should win, and hopefully win well, but It's not the Box Hill Hawks we'll be playing tomorrow. Scully, Wingard, Shiels, Frawley, Gunston, and Breust will provide a challenge. And their coach is very astute. That is 6 200 game players they're fielding tomorrow, including four who have played in multiple premierships.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Bottom line is no matter who in or who's out if we can't beat a second rate Hawthorn we definitely don't deserve a top 8 finish

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 10:30pm
saintspremiers wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 8:46pm Ten goal win is par based on us playing
The Box Hill Hawks.

I agree we should win, and hopefully win well, but It's not the Box Hill Hawks we'll be playing tomorrow. Scully, Wingard, Shiels, Frawley, Gunston, and Breust will provide a challenge. And their coach is very astute. That is 6 200 game players they're fielding tomorrow, including four who have played in multiple premierships.

Yep, I got heady seeing all their outs, especially Mr. Burgoyne, and think they are tanking and we'll be right. But no way Clarkson will want to bust our chops and put a rocket in the A of his 22 anyway.

Uninspiring choices in our team.
Keeping Kent..meh..Savage and Parker clearly not part of the future by the looks. Carlisle? Is there something we don't know? Family? Disciplinary breach? Very strange. And no Roberton...it's a waste but all we have is the North game, way before the great flood, to judge and it sounds like it wasn't a good memory.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
oboe
Club Player

The Hawthorn lineup is quite weak. I understand the concerns giving Lonie, and Marsh another go - but Membrey is injured. Who else is coming in for Membrey instead of Marsh?
Lonie coming in for Hind? Well Nick was good for a couple of weeks, but has done nothing since the Sydney game.
Whilst the midfielders are missing Gresham, and Hanneberry, the changes made are sensible, if we have a chance to make the eight.
My worst fear is losing. My second greatest fear is just getting over the line. My hope is to win by ten goals, with Many kicking four, and Clark getting back into some form.

oboe
Club Player

Not Many, Maxxy - I hate autocorrect.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 10:30pm Everyone assumes this game will be a cake walk but looking at the sides if the Hawks are having a crack they may have a few less passengers than us, we have a few fairly ordinary players in the side so let's hope the Hawks have put the cue in the rack and have their eyes set on draft pick three.
This game should be a cake walk, if not then I do not wish to follow St Kilda for the remainder of the season. If you wish to make the quote, please name the players. Otherwise I think you are a Hawk's supporter.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I must be losing it (probably am or have already) but picking Lonie makes sense to some people.

BadRossco
Club Player

I'm certainly not a Hawks supporter and I hope I'm proven wrong but I doubt Lonie, Marsh and Kent will be big contributors, that said I expect a win but it may not be that easy.

SunnyErnest
Club Player

Ratten has completely lost the plot. Why keep on bringing in Lonie? He has failed time and time again. Parker is taller, stronger and has X factor so give him a chance FFS. Marsh always fails as well. Why not give Roberton or Savage a go and move Battle to full forward? This is our weakest team in for the year and I fear that Ratts theory of sticking to structures will be his undoing and ultimately will cost us finals spot. I can honestly see us losing this game now. It's a 50 50 game right now at best.

Note - For years we bemoaned Richo's stubbornness and lack of a plan "B". From what I have seen of Ratts, he has the same problem. He is stubborn and has no plan "B".

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnest wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 11:40pm Ratten has completely lost the plot. Why keep on bringing in Lonie? He has failed time and time again. Parker is taller, stronger and has X factor so give him a chance FFS. Marsh always fails as well. Why not give Roberton or Savage a go and move Battle to full forward? This is our weakest team in for the year and I fear that Ratts theory of sticking to structures will be his undoing and ultimately will cost us finals spot. I can honestly see us losing this game now. It's a 50 50 game right now at best.

Note - For years we bemoaned Richo's stubbornness and lack of a plan "B". From what I have seen of Ratts, he has the same problem. He is stubborn and has no plan "B".
You are seriously taking the p1$$ aren't you? Is it really our weakest team? Tell me where Parker's stats beats Linie's, please? Mmm "X factor", the greatest bullsh!t phrase in footy forums. For every X factor game I'll give you 5 ZERO games...I call it the Devonport factor.

realdeal
Club Player

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 9:50pm Jack Lonie again really !!! No Savage or Parker ? I just don't get why they keep picking him for a game doesn't perform gets dropped & gets picked again. IMO don't see why he gets a gig when we have a lot of other options that haven't been explored yet . I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't get it I mean I really don't get it
11 goals in his last three games against Hawthorn is pretty good..

Remind us again what Parker has done? I hope he improves and i like some of his attack on the ball but he's really done nothing to deserve a spot in the side atm..

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 10:53pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 10:30pm
The Box Hill Hawks.

Yep, I got heady seeing all their outs, especially Mr. Burgoyne, and think they are tanking and we'll be right. But no way Clarkson will want to bust our chops and put a rocket in the A of his 22 anyway.

Uninspiring choices in our team.
Keeping Kent..meh..Savage and Parker clearly not part of the future by the looks. Carlisle? Is there something we don't know? Family? Disciplinary breach? Very strange. And no Roberton...it's a waste but all we have is the North game, way before the great flood, to judge and it sounds like it wasn't a good memory.
Carlisle had a major back operation last year and came back a bit early. I think he is being managed but could be wrong. Either way two weeks rest from playing will be a positive for Jake, I'd wager.

Same with Membrey really, Wondered why he was struggling a bit - and now we know - injury. So he recuperates from his procedure and takes a breather and they both come back for the Eagles match, when we will need them both.

Hawks aren't tanking, but they do need to start playing the yute! And when better than against us. 7 changes will make them unsettled against us but they'll have a go. Hopefully we can get back to playing the way we were and we can have a similar result to our wins against the Swans and the 'Dogs. We need % as well as the four points tomorrow.

がんばってるだぜ。

Peanut Farm
Club Player

Savage was in our best 5-6 last year - absolute joke that he cant get a game. Long has been disappointing the last 3 matches & really has played 1 decent game this year.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Lonie is a bit of an enigma.

His best is pretty darn good. If he gets a sniff early he can hold his pressure all day.

But then he could do four quarters of sweet f*** all and miss half a dozen tackles.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 11:51pm
SunnyErnest wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 11:40pm Ratten has completely lost the plot. Why keep on bringing in Lonie? He has failed time and time again. Parker is taller, stronger and has X factor so give him a chance FFS. Marsh always fails as well. Why not give Roberton or Savage a go and move Battle to full forward? This is our weakest team in for the year and I fear that Ratts theory of sticking to structures will be his undoing and ultimately will cost us finals spot. I can honestly see us losing this game now. It's a 50 50 game right now at best.

You are seriously taking the p1$$ aren't you? Is it really our weakest team? Tell me where Parker's stats beats Linie's, please? Mmm "X factor", the greatest bullsh!t phrase in footy forums. For every X factor game I'll give you 5 ZERO games...I call it the Devonport factor.
I have not seen enough games to make judgment...but I will lol..

Parker looks exciting and kicked quite few goals last year. I still think Lonie has the runs on the board, gets in can be a pest more consistently. I am bararcking for Parker to stay on the list if possible but that X factor thing isn't good enough when you want to build a team like a machine, one out of dependable units or components etc.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
ace
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Sat 05 Sep 2020 8:13pm Pretty sure Carlisle is having a kid or is about to???

Happy with the ins. We have a way better side than Hawthorn.
That's not possible. based on his behaviour Carlisle is still a kid.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I don’t see the Parker X factor other than Tatts

Sorry but I don’t think he’s going to make AFL grade tbh - more than happy to be wrong and I was once...

“Yeah….nah””