We have to win one more game....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: We have to win one more game....

Collingwood can miss if lose last2 vs suns and port

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

is everyone as prepared as I am of an making early exit if we make the finals ?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 9:48pm is everyone as prepared as I am of an making early exit if we make the finals ?
Absolutely, but would still love to get there!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 9:48pm is everyone as prepared as I am of an making early exit if we make the finals ?
Would just like to see us playing well, regardless of result.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I’m ok with that tbh
A pass for this season for mine is top 8 anything else a bonus
Don’t make the 8 and we’ve just tail spinner badly at the backend of the year and one could argue we got a bit lucky getting sides out of form eg Tigers and Dogs

Big list work still needed and we absolutely need some midfield class as we all know
I think we’ll just miss 8 after Dogs stood up tonight - can’t see us beating Eagles and if it comes to a crunch match against GWS ....I suspect we may fold under pressure plus we are saving our most shuttest footy for the worst tube of the year .....
Anyhoo let’s hope I’m absolutely wrong !

“Yeah….nah””
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 9:41pm Collingwood can miss if lose last2 vs suns and port
Exactly. The game this week against GCS shapes as one of the games of the year. Suns have the team to win

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 9:53pm
I’m ok with that tbh
Don’t make the 8 and we’ve just tail spinner badly at the backend of the year and one could argue we got a bit lucky getting sides out of form eg Tigers and Dogs

Big list work still needed and we absolutely need some midfield class as we all know
I think we’ll just miss 8 after Dogs stood up tonight - can’t see us beating Eagles and if it comes to a crunch match against GWS ....I suspect we may fold under pressure plus we are saving our most shuttest footy for the worst tube of the year .....
agreed Tef.

The club has made a move forward no doubt.
we are now competitive for the first time in about 8 yrs so yeah we should be happy about that.
Just hope this situation is managed properly while we have the cattle.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I can see no point in falling into the finals by default. If we cant turn around our form against WCE & GWS we might as well not make the finals IMO. Our form has gone backwards at a rate of knots following the Geelong flogging, when the Cats showed the competition how to starve us of the ball and open us up.

We havent had a real answer since then. I can understand Ratten wanting to stay true to his game plan, but things need to change when they are not working.

It's interesting Tony74 suggests there has been some upheaval with the coaching staff. I wonder if its Rath because he developed the game plan, which has been picked apart since the Geelong game.

Granted Gresham was a loss to our midfield and to a lesser extent Hannebrey, but our team output in recent weeks is looking more like a bottom 6 side than a finals side. Things need to change and change quickly if the club are to finish the season off on a reasonably positive note.

BadRossco
Club Player

The Bulldogs beating the Eagles has changed things, we must now go into the last two games with the strongest available team and hopefully win one game and be competitive in the other as the dogs will probably win their last two games and the pies have the handy extra two points and are likely to to win one more if not both leaving one spot for either us GWS or the Dee's.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Absolutely! 1000% yes. I want to make finals - especially when we’ve been in it up to our ears all season.

More importantly - I want to play finals to give our club credibility again. I want to play finals so that it gives credence to being a destination club that’s not far off the pace.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 10:07pm I can see no point in falling into the finals by default. If we cant turn around our form against WCE & GWS we might as well not make the finals IMO. Our form has gone backwards at a rate of knots following the Geelong flogging, when the Cats showed the competition how to starve us of the ball and open us up.

We havent had a real answer since then. I can understand Ratten wanting to stay true to his game plan, but things need to change when they are not working.

It's interesting Tony74 suggests there has been some upheaval with the coaching staff. I wonder if its Rath because he developed the game plan, which has been picked apart since the Geelong game.

Granted Gresham was a loss to our midfield and to a lesser extent Hannebrey, but our team output in recent weeks is looking more like a bottom 6 side than a finals side. Things need to change and change quickly if the club are to finish the season off on a reasonably positive note.
If we win 1 of our next 2 seal a finals spot for the first time in 8 years with a new coach and a team many thought added multiple recruits and would need a season to gel....then I’m pass marking this season.
We are struggling now but it’s a step forward and that’ll give them a shot in the arm

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 9:58pm
I’m ok with that tbh

agreed Tef.

The club has made a move forward no doubt.
we are now competitive for the first time in about 8 yrs so yeah we should be happy about that.
Just hope this situation is managed properly while we have the cattle.
Spot on Firey how we manage this group from here and the next few seasons is key
We have done young talent - Coffield very impressive for mine taken huge step forward
What we can’t have is struggle street next year if we do we go backwards at a rate of knots
If we can add a gun mid and a very solid support mid and manage this group....we’ll be heading in the right direction for mine
IF we beat Eagles that’d be huge for the club imo let’s not leave it to a final GWS game let’s demand our spot in the 8 this week

“Yeah….nah””
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 9:35pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 5:57pm
chook23 wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 5:55pm
SunnyErnest wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 5:37pm Only Melbourne can kick us out of the 8
So can bulldogs if we don't win another game
The 'Dogs won't win this evening.
really??

Pissed off they did though
Well played Sir!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 10:07pm I can see no point in falling into the finals by default. If we cant turn around our form against WCE & GWS we might as well not make the finals IMO. Our form has gone backwards at a rate of knots following the Geelong flogging, when the Cats showed the competition how to starve us of the ball and open us up.

The team we played today has way better players than those in the Eagles and the Giants. I mean, come on!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BadRossco wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 10:14pm The Bulldogs beating the Eagles has changed things, we must now go into the last two games with the strongest available team and hopefully win one game and be competitive in the other as the dogs will probably win their last two games and the pies have the handy extra two points and are likely to to win one more if not both leaving one spot for either us GWS or the Dee's.

Even without the Dogs winning against WCE we still needed to win at least one of our last two games to be sure of playing finals.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigred
Saintsational Legend

At least, most likely... If we make it we deserve to be there as we will have won more games by bigger margins than all those teams below us. Go figure. Dropping all those games by under a goal is our own fault.

The WCE game is winnable. We are not playing nearly at our best and neither are they.
We need to lift considerably and the next two games are against two of the top four teams over the past few years. If we want to be at that level, then here we go.

At best, we make it in fifth or sixth and pull off a Bulldogs type raid and win the whole fkn thing.

At worst, we finish ninth which was Richo's best effort.

If we miss out, we miss out. Will it be a wasted year? I don't think so.

There are more positives to take away out of 2020 for St.Kilda than any other side in the competition in my opinion. So many things worked and worked well. Better than expected. Many things to improve however.

Back em in I reckon.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
spert
Saintsational Legend

None of this resting players bulldust- w'ere not in that position and need to put the best team on the field at all costs. The club needs to make the finals.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SunnyErnest wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 5:37pm Only Melbourne can kick us out of the 8
:roll: :cry:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I’m ok with that tbh

And a bit unlucky losing 4 games by less than a goal.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 2:29pm
lucky I don't gamble.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 2:38pm
saynta wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 2:29pm
lucky I don't gamble.
:wink: