in defence of rats and our players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: in defence of rats and our players

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 11:15am 1pm timeslots are the graveyard shift. The "normal" match vibe isn't there, and wind seemed difficult. Hawthorn have a top coach and I understand about 6 or 7 premiership players were out there for them - including a Brownlow winner in the middle. They have pushed sides recently only to go down late so form is not so hopeless.Hawks certainly came to play and blitzed us early - Saints regrouped, reeled them in and won. A number of Hawks goals came from desperation kicks that just floated over a defender who was in the best space. A few brilliant efforts picked us up showing under pinning class. Cliche: you can only beat what is in front of you. 1 pm start must mean something like an 8am departure from Noosa - just an unfamiliar prep. How's that for a defence argument M'lud, if indeed any wrongdoing, aesthetics - wise occurred.
Rats said in his presser the players went down to the GC on Saturday evening because of the early start.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 12:40am
saynta wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 7:56pm
bangaulegend wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 7:48pm
saynta wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 7:40pm
bangaulegend wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 7:33pm
saynta wrote: Sun 06 Sep 2020 6:58pm AFL site had Seb as our best player

23 disposals..the most for the saints.

BEST
St Kilda: Ross, Hill, Marshall, Jones, Coffield, Long
He was ok stats can be flattering sometimes . I didn't give him a vote but he was far from our worst
Thats very f****** big of you to concede he was far from our worst. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Saynta you can have your opinion mate I don't care that you don't agree with me or anyone else on the forum . I'm not posting to be a every ones favourite I post what I think same as you :roll:
Yep. Just I think this week people's votes are based on prejudices rather than footy knowledge. Clear to me.

Just my opinion.🤔🤔🤔
Sebby had some possessions that didn't assist his team and the ball got stuck in congestion or he gets caught and his kick trickles off the end of his toes for about 3 metres. I wouldn't say that someone that gets the most possessions 'has to be' in the votes.

When a player does a dinky handball of half a metre to someone under heat and that player is forced to handball back and then Ross gets caught or has to rush a kick or a handball, then that is 2 possessions that are worthless (and it happened a couple of times during the match). Overall Seb was a good contributor but you have to reward players who impact. Players who set up several chains or players that win contested footy like Marshall deserve to be voted best on ground
He deserved a vote. imhfo.

Sanctorum
Club Player

He does not often talk up St Kilda, but I thought the following comments by Damian Barrett on alf.com.au are absolutely spot on, he is commenting on Clarkson criticising the Saints after yesterday's game:

""Especially in the second quarter, I think they took 42 marks and kicked one goal. They might be able to get away with that against us, but I don't think the method itself is going to lend itself to kicking a lot of goals."

If Clarkson could bring himself to be gracious in this unusually uncompetitive Hawthorn season, then he would've acknowledged Ratten had out-coached him with his tactics after a free-flowing first quarter, and that Ratten is more than capable of hitting "go" for his players, given only two clubs have scored more heavily than the Saints in 2020.
"

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that St Kilda has played some really aggressive, positive, football this year, with fast transition from defence to attack, and I don't doubt that Ratts will pull the trigger again in the next few rounds. Fact is that St Kilda's attack is as potent as any in the comp, greater accuracy early yesterday would have seen the ultimate outcome resolved much sooner.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Groovy Guru
Club Player

Oi Clarko,

Didn't get to say thanks for the practice match.

The team really needed to try out the plan when a team gets a run on.

There are a few things that need to be tinkered with but all up I am happy with the way it all went.

What better way than try out some new things and rest some players in the process, knowing that the 4 points was always going to be a lock.

Cheers Mate

Ratts

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Groovy Guru wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 4:20pm Oi Clarko,

Didn't get to say thanks for the practice match.

The team really needed to try out the plan when a team gets a run on.

There are a few things that need to be tinkered with but all up I am happy with the way it all went.

What better way than try out some new things and rest some players in the process, knowing that the 4 points was always going to be a lock.

Cheers Mate

Ratts
:D :D :) :) :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P