Baffling selections costing us any chance

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Baffling selections costing us any chance

Misses by Hill Membrey and King in last 10 mins cost us the game

Nee!
SuperSaint66
Club Player

Agree entirely. Goal kickers seem to escape criticism from the coach & others. Their role/job is to lead, take a mark & kick a goal. No excuses for missing a set shot from right in front, IMO.

johnearljames
Club Player

As if we would know who is best to pick every week. We don't know who is really sore, injured, fatigued, not mentally right, have external issues, etc. I bet the coaches and med staff who deal with the players every day do know though. The selectors are picking their best side every week to try make finals.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Mon 14 Sep 2020 1:41pm As if we would know who is best to pick every week. We don't know who is really sore, injured, fatigued, not mentally right, have external issues, etc. I bet the coaches and med staff who deal with the players every day do know though. The selectors are picking their best side every week to try make finals.
Yeah. Good call. Let’s shut the forum down because the coaches know best and no one should question anything.

We have a $700k a year, 200cm key defender who we desperately courted 4 years ago. He hasn’t played for weeks now. There appears no obvious reason why this is the case but we should all sit tight and not question anything or anyone.

Let’s discuss the upcoming weather for our next game...

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 14 Sep 2020 3:36pm
johnearljames wrote: Mon 14 Sep 2020 1:41pm As if we would know who is best to pick every week. We don't know who is really sore, injured, fatigued, not mentally right, have external issues, etc. I bet the coaches and med staff who deal with the players every day do know though. The selectors are picking their best side every week to try make finals.
Yeah. Good call. Let’s shut the forum down because the coaches know best and no one should question anything.

We have a $700k a year, 200cm key defender who we desperately courted 4 years ago. He hasn’t played for weeks now. There appears no obvious reason why this is the case but we should all sit tight and not question anything or anyone.

Can't do that either, Mike Larkin is now in the stands with Carlisle.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Ratten is coaching like Richo lately, let's face it. Persists with losing forward strategy, persists with mediocrities , leaves good players in the stands.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 14 Sep 2020 5:41pm

Can't do that either, Mike Larkin is now in the stands with Carlisle.
If you read between the lines on Ben McGlynn’s report on the practise scratch match between Saints & Bombers, in relation to Carlisle he uses the word ‘attitude’ a couple of times. McGlynn sounded more positive about Carlisle in relation to ‘attitude’.

I can’t recall the exact words McGlynn used, but one statement went something like, “ Carlisle focusing more on his attitude”, the other statement something about, “ his attitude is responding ok seeing he hadn’t been in the side for 3 matches”.

So I assume his non selection has been due to his “attitude”.

IMO Carlisle is having to learn in his late stage as a footballer, there in no ‘I’ in team. It was obvious at Essendon, he played for himself & that modus operandi has continued at the Saints, so often.
Hope he realises before it’s too late, as he obviously is a talented player.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle was a key part of our back 6 when it looked and maintained a patch of seemingly invincible form.

Wish the attitude check didn’t come at the expense of a finals birth

johnearljames
Club Player

As I said, Ratts, coaches and selectors have their reasons which we aren't fully aware of. We are just speculating as to why he has missed selection which is fine but acknowledge it.

Weather will be 25 in Brisbane on Friday. 40% chance of rain.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Mon 14 Sep 2020 8:01pm
IMO Carlisle is having to learn in his late stage as a footballer, there in no ‘I’ in team. It was obvious at Essendon, he played for himself & that modus operandi has continued at the Saints, so often.

I don’t think he can change his instincts, and his instincts are what gives him the talent to read play.

So unless the coaches can let him play his game, a bit like Ablett snr., I suspect he he can still have value, but no where near his best. Compromise. Is it worth it?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 15 Sep 2020 12:55pm
loris wrote: Mon 14 Sep 2020 8:01pm

I don’t think he can change his instincts, and his instincts are what gives him the talent to read play.

So unless the coaches can let him play his game, a bit like Ablett snr., I suspect he he can still have value, but no where near his best. Compromise. Is it worth it?
Interesting comparison, Ablett Snr. My answer then would be no. Ablett Jnr, a big yes. If it's attitude and he's still suffering from that affliction 5 years in with us, then it's another tattoo he owns.

Like a girl who thinks they can change a particular man, St Kilda need to wake up if they still believe his attitude is the issue. If you can't fake it Jake, you are cooked.