What players are we likely to get in the trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: What players are we likely to get in the trade

Gershwin wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 11:43am
saynta wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 10:15am
Gershwin wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 10:05am I want Crouch and Caldwell and will give up pick 15, Billings and future picks.
Crouch is a free agent, so you would give up pick 15, Billings and future picks for a kid who can't get a regular game with a side we beat?

Madness. :roll: :roll:
Crouch will cost us money/salary so I thought we could save ourselves some money by trading Billings. Caldwell was a pick 11 and is showing great promise and will require more than our pick 15. Hopefully a combination of trades could net us Crouch and Caldwell.
Don’t get me wrong I value Billings and predicted he would win our B&F in a competition with mates before the season started but the penny has dropped that he is not the player I thought/hoped he would be. Best to get value out of him in a trade.
Hard to get any of that wrong Gershwin. You lost a bet or you're embarrassed you got it so wrong with your mates. If you want to save money, remind Crouch he's suspended, he's a druggie from a bottom team. Absolutely nothing to do with Billings. Dunstan, McKenzie, Savage, Webster plus current delistings will only add to our supposed 'war chest'. If you truly believe we are better keeping Lonie, Sinclair, Marsh, Phillips, Parker, Hind then good luck. Trading Billings will haunt us like Acres' trade this year cost us...literally no need & for nothing. Acres, like Billings, wanted to play for the club.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 5:43pm
Gershwin wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 10:05am I want Crouch and Caldwell and will give up pick 15, Billings and future picks.
Crouch is a free agent, so you would give up pick 15, Billings and future picks for a kid who can't get a regular game with a side we beat?

Crouch will cost us money/salary so I thought we could save ourselves some money by trading Billings. Caldwell was a pick 11 and is showing great promise and will require more than our pick 15. Hopefully a combination of trades could net us Crouch and Caldwell.
Don’t get me wrong I value Billings and predicted he would win our B&F in a competition with mates before the season started but the penny has dropped that he is not the player I thought/hoped he would be. Best to get value out of him in a trade.
Hard to get any of that wrong Gershwin. You lost a bet or you're embarrassed you got it so wrong with your mates. If you want to save money, remind Crouch he's suspended, he's a druggie from a bottom team. Absolutely nothing to do with Billings. Dunstan, McKenzie, Savage, Webster plus current delistings will only add to our supposed 'war chest'. If you truly believe we are better keeping Lonie, Sinclair, Marsh, Phillips, Parker, Hind then good luck. Trading Billings will haunt us like Acres' trade this year cost us...literally no need & for nothing. Acres, like Billings, wanted to play for the club.
Thank god someone had the balls to say that. It's the f****** truth too.

Gershwin
Club Player

You got some of that right Ghost Like. One of my mates is an ITK at the club and he won the comp. by predicting Jack Steele. When I predicted Billings he laughed and said 'too soft'. No money involved. The others went for Rowan Marshall (3), Zac Jones and Jarryn Geary !

Interesting article from Jonathan Brown (who probably knows a thing or two about football):

Jonathan Brown names Victorian suitor for free agent Crow:
Brad Crouch looks set to depart the Adelaide Crows as a free agent during the upcoming trade period.
And Brisbane Lions great Jonathan Brown has named St Kilda as the perfect landing spot for the star midfielder just 12 months after they were linked to him.
The Saints are reportedly on the hunt for another midfielder to assist All Australian and best and fairest winner Jack Steele.
A hurdle interested teams will have to acknowledge, however, is the two-match ban at the start of next season after Crouch was discovered by police with an illicit substance in September.
Speaking on Fox Footy’s On The Couch, Brown believes that Crouch would be a handy pickup for the Saints.
“If Brad Crouch came in, he wouldn’t cost you anything, because he’s a free agent,” Brown said.
“He’s vying for your number one (midfield) spot, he’s up there with Jack Steele, and then Jade Gresham comes back into that midfield.

“All of a sudden that’s starting to look like a pretty handy midfield, if (Paddy) Ryder’s got another year or two left in him with (Rowan) Marshall.”

The Saints finished sixth this year, winning their first final in a decade at the Gabba against the Western Bulldogs by three points.

With picks 15, 58, 73 and 87 in this years draft, the Saints are looking to bring in more talent in hopes of another finals season.

Brown suggested that the Saints could move along some older players in order to excel their hand in the draft, even floating midfielder Jack Billings, who averaged 18.6 disposals and 4.1 marks per game this season.

“You’ve got to look at players with value, and clearly he (Billings) be one of the most valuable, because you don’t have draft picks,” he said.

“I’d have a look at Billings, he gets you a first-rounder. Seb Ross maybe an early second. Jimmy Webster is the other one. You’ve got to look at first and second-round value.

“I think teams would look at what Billings has done in the forward line and be interested in that.”

Personally I don't think trading Billings will come back and bite us.

summertime and the living is easy ........
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I’d trade Billings if the nett result was a significant upgrade to our midfield. Billings is still a bit of a “gunna”. Six years I’ve seen enough. He would have trade value and if part of a package or trade deal that landed a genuine class mid in the right age bracket, I’d do it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 6:50pm

You got some of that right Ghost Like. One of my mates is an ITK at the club and he won the comp. by predicting Jack Steele. When I predicted Billings he laughed and said 'too soft'. No money involved. The others went for Rowan Marshall (3), Zac Jones and Jarryn Geary !

Interesting article from Jonathan Brown (who probably knows a thing or two about football):

Brad Crouch looks set to depart the Adelaide Crows as a free agent during the upcoming trade period.
And Brisbane Lions great Jonathan Brown has named St Kilda as the perfect landing spot for the star midfielder just 12 months after they were linked to him.
The Saints are reportedly on the hunt for another midfielder to assist All Australian and best and fairest winner Jack Steele.
A hurdle interested teams will have to acknowledge, however, is the two-match ban at the start of next season after Crouch was discovered by police with an illicit substance in September.
Speaking on Fox Footy’s On The Couch, Brown believes that Crouch would be a handy pickup for the Saints.
“If Brad Crouch came in, he wouldn’t cost you anything, because he’s a free agent,” Brown said.
“He’s vying for your number one (midfield) spot, he’s up there with Jack Steele, and then Jade Gresham comes back into that midfield.

“All of a sudden that’s starting to look like a pretty handy midfield, if (Paddy) Ryder’s got another year or two left in him with (Rowan) Marshall.”

The Saints finished sixth this year, winning their first final in a decade at the Gabba against the Western Bulldogs by three points.

With picks 15, 58, 73 and 87 in this years draft, the Saints are looking to bring in more talent in hopes of another finals season.

Brown suggested that the Saints could move along some older players in order to excel their hand in the draft, even floating midfielder Jack Billings, who averaged 18.6 disposals and 4.1 marks per game this season.

“You’ve got to look at players with value, and clearly he (Billings) be one of the most valuable, because you don’t have draft picks,” he said.

“I’d have a look at Billings, he gets you a first-rounder. Seb Ross maybe an early second. Jimmy Webster is the other one. You’ve got to look at first and second-round value.

“I think teams would look at what Billings has done in the forward line and be interested in that.”

Trading Acres will one day.

Anyway I am not a fan of Brown. I think some species of monkeys
would have a higher IQ,

Also I have read similar stories from self professed experts saying De Goey would be a perfect fit for the saints.

Yeah maybe if he is on day release next year., 😈

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 6:55pm I’d trade Billings if the nett result was a significant upgrade to our midfield. Billings is still a bit of a “gunna”. Six years I’ve seen enough. He would have trade value and if part of a package or trade deal that landed a genuine class mid in the right age bracket, I’d do it.
Did enough in the season high lights package that they showed at the B & F to earn a spot in 2020.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 14 Oct 2020 7:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Given who you want, that would be overpaying.

Crouch is a RFA. So the right contract gets him at no trade cost.

Caldwell should cost us roughly our first pick, if not just our first pick. There might be some fine tuning with later picks back or lost.

No need to add Billings to get those deals done.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 14 Oct 2020 10:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 6:50pm

Mmm an ITK who won a comp., wow, a solid ITK that you'd no divulged at any stage. Enjoy your little group of betting mates. Perhaps ask Browny if he wants to join. Whilst there ask him why we should give up Billings for an RFA.

Seems like tripe to me but if Jonno believes we are better off with Kent & Lonie to play alongside Crouch instead of Billings, I'll stand corrected.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Oh, in terms of supporters who didn't think trading players of quality would come back to bite, say hello to Luke Ball, Dean Rice, Daryl Wakelin, Russell Greene and Val Perovic...the Saints have a rich history of coming out on the wrong side of these. Yet you want to offer him up for nothing like we did Acres???

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

GWS have a bunch of genuine class mids and they didn't even make the Finals

I can understand why people want them but there is no guarantee that they are going to make your team better - especially when you trade out other class players to get supposed other ones in

Someone like Taranto sounds great but I would ask the question why if he is so good why didn't GWS make Finals this year?

Carlton gave up the world for Judd ....... I think they won one final with him

Dangerfield has not won Geelong a Premiership

Did getting Kelly make West Coast a better side this year?

I am not saying all trades for gun mids don't work out but as the saying goes ....... be careful what you wish for!

There is no doubt that Billings has had an average end to the year (although no one was complaining about his first half) but all class players have form slumps during their careers and they usually find a way out.

Maybe Billings started to struggle being in the hub away from close family - maybe he is carrying a niggle we don't know about or is struggling with hard tags - there is no denying though that when he is on song he is one of the most damaging half forwards in the game and a game winner.

It seems the forum is split down the middle about Billings however I sit firmly in the pro-Billings camp and am willing to give the guy a chance to work through whatever form problems he is currently encountering.

As someone else pointed out he is cream not cake and what good is cake without the icing

Crouch is an interesting player and would fulfill a need as an extra hard body on the inside and at clearances which we desperately need - it is no secret that he has some off-field issues but it is whether club think they can iron these out and keep him injury free - of course being FA in terms of picks he will come for free and his age profile fits ...... much to ponder

Caldwell is a no brainer - class inside/outside mid who was a stand out junior - had a few injury issues early on and GWS made the decision to persevere with their under performing more experienced mid set up so he found himself in/out and was being played all over the place - just needs more senior game time but confident he will prove his worth down the line once he gets it - will cost probably our first (hopefully with a little something coming back)

Still need another KPF (to help King) / KPB (to cover loss of Brown) / another decent clearance mid (2nd one) - if Clark is that player (taken from backline) then a line breaking half back with good disposal would be handy - Witherden (Brisbane) has been mentioned as player that might be gettable.

We will also need back up for Ryder & Marshall at some stage

We may not fill all these needs this year but I am confident we finally have the right people in place to identify and get the right players in ........ at the right cost

No doubt some will disagree but that's what discussion forums are for :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 7:05pm
Given who you want, that would be overpaying.

Crouch is a RFA. So the right contact gets him at no trade cost.

Caldwell should cost us roughly our first pick, if not just our first pick. There might be some fine tuning with later picks back or lost.

No need to add Billings to get those deals done.
Wot I said.

Glad to see you think the same.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Obviously we are being strategic with whom we are targetting and not releasing any details yet. Perhaps having the player/s announce their club destination of choice at a later time gives us an edge in getting things done without being gazzumped by other clubs.

As far as us trading Billings, my opinion is it should only be considered in a trade for a player like Taranto of similiar. Otherwise we need to hang onto our talented kids.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 8:31pm Obviously we are being strategic with whom we are targetting and not releasing any details yet. Perhaps having the player/s announce their club destination of choice at a later time gives us an edge in getting things done without being gazzumped by other clubs.

As far as us trading Billings, my opinion is it should only be considered in a trade for a player like Taranto of similiar. Otherwise we need to hang onto our talented kids.
Something like that is what I’d be trading Billings for. He has class but IMO he’s a bit soft and inconsistent. Certainly a required player unless his value can be leveraged for a better one who fits our needs.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

If our first plus Billings plus steak knives gets you Taranto and Caldwell then you do it
Our midfield immediately improves and has enormous growth to continue improving
We can cover Billings
People who believe we get much for Dunstan and co are delusional as trading 3 of our best 22 last year proves if you want to get quality you’ll have to give up something when all u have is pick 15
It’s pretty obvious someone we don’t to trade in a perfect world will be traded

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

News on Footy Classified just said that Billings ain't going anywhere whereas Dunstan could be likely moved on

Just presenting the news

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 10:41pm If our first plus Billings plus steak knives gets you Taranto and Caldwell then you do it
How does Billings get us Taronto though? GWS have outside players like Whitfield. So why would GWS do that deal.

Trade Billings to another club you might say. But that also would not gain us enough.

Our first this year gets us Caldwell.

Taranto would be two good first round picks. I am not sure that Billings (to another club for a pick) and our next years first would cut the mustard.

I can see why some our indicating Billings as we have little that we can afford to lose that other clubs would pay reasonable for. I am not sure other clubs would trade well for Billings though.

Billings seems to be very well regarded at the Saints. In many ways he is the opposite of Bruce. Bruce was popular as a bloke, as a fun guy at the club. But he was deemed to be leading our players astray and was a bad influence professional. Billings is not the life of the party, but he is a very professional player and trainer.

OUR RECRUITERS DID EXCEPTIONALLY WELL LAST YEAR

And indeed the results have exceeded all my expectations when you look at them as a group. And in recruiting it is the totality that matters most. So yes while some have focused on Hill as having an underperforming year, are recruits as a whole were a huge out-perform.

Our recruiters will be aiming to do likewise.

Last year it was one big name in Hill, but the others were not quite right/ or yet there players.

Ryder, deemed to be past it - Though to be fair to Port Ladhams is quite rightly their future, but this provided us the opportunity to gain Ryder as steak knives.

Butler - On the outer and deemed to not be working hard enough. This meant we got him cheap, but it has only worked as he has also turned over a new leaf. Congrats to Ratts.

Jones - Probably a player who pretty much gave us what we thought we would get. ie a hard nut HB capabale of playing as a mid, but whose ball use can be suspect at times.

Howard - Was disgruntled at Port as he wanted to play FB and they wanted him to play forward. This provided the opportunity for us to pounce, and for Howard to thrive at the Saints.

THE BLUEPRINT

I think the recruiters will be attempting to rinse and repeat this again.

They will be looking for a gun player even if Hill did not quite work out in 2020 (In 2021 with better inside mids I think Hill will be better. Actually when I saw looking, if they actually have a chance of anyone, they would already have needed to have been in talks for some time. They may already have succeeded or failed. Either way our recruiters will already 90$ know if they have a chance or not.

Caldwell looks set to join us. A mid not quite getting the opportunity to play midfield at GWS. At the Saints he will have greater opportunity. Plus a childhood Saint living the dream. Caldwell is kind of our 2020 Jones.

Our recruiters will have looked at all the other clubs and will already have identified players who they believe can fill specific gaps at the Saints and who either are not be used in that position, or just are not getting the opportunity.

With the Saints allowing players on the outer to join and us and thrive in 2020 will make us attractive to some players.

As to who these players are. Well part from Caldwell I have not the foggiest idea. But as an example, if Crouch joins the Cats, then Constable could be a possibility.

PS Our handicap this years is our picks to trade are not as valuable. Like last year we may be able to trade out players, but I am not sure that we will get much in return. But that not much might be just enough to get some players that we believe will thrive at the Saints.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPelican66
Club Player

We should go all out and get Cameron and Crouch as Free Agents. Then we trade our FRDP for Caldwell. Now I realize our salary cap will be squeezed so we would need to trade out and or delist a few others......Top 4 in 2021 and premiers in 2022, 23, 24, 25, 26. First team ever to win 5 flags in a row. :idea: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lennylegs
Club Player

Talk of trading Billings is absurd. Would make the best 22 of every team in the comp. Was also in our best on ground performers in our wins against Richmond, The Dogs and Port.

Bad clubs trade quality players. If St Kilda supporters haven't learnt that yet, then there's no helping us. Those sorts of decisions have haunted us for years. Look at BJ Goddard and McEvoy. We've only just found a ruckman in Marshall - and that's five or so years since McEvoy was traded!

Always keep quality players who want to play for the club. Can't stress that enough.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Mids: Caldwell (If Cameron resigns with gws we have a chance, if Cam leaves I think he stays at gws) Crouch ( gettable)

Forwards: Brown ( decent value) , Cameron ( dreaming), Gunston? McCarthy ( no/ low cost long shot)

Ruck/Forward: Wright? Preuss ( we'd have to outbid GWS)

We need picks to secure players, I cant see it, but Bombers are sniffing around Paton and word on the street is they give us pick #6 for Paton and our #15.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 1:59am Mids: Caldwell (If Cameron resigns with gws we have a chance, if Cam leaves I think he stays at gws) Crouch ( gettable)

Forwards: Brown ( decent value) , Cameron ( dreaming), Gunston? McCarthy ( no/ low cost long shot)

We need picks to secure players, I cant see it, but Bombers are sniffing around Paton and word on the street is they give us pick #6 for Paton and our #15.
I really hope not, I'm very bullish about Paton. I can see a AA back pocket in the mould of Nick Smith. Besides it's Essendon. Never deal with Essendon!!!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 8:34am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 15 Oct 2020 1:59am Mids: Caldwell (If Cameron resigns with gws we have a chance, if Cam leaves I think he stays at gws) Crouch ( gettable)

I really hope not, I'm very bullish about Paton. I can see a AA back pocket in the mould of Nick Smith. Besides it's Essendon. Never deal with Essendon!!!
No way for that trade.
Paton is a 200 game player just starting to show his talent.
He is a known quantity....why give that up for anything less than an established gun?
I think the Coffield, Clark , Paton connection is too good to mess with.

Nee!
Crossy66
Club Player

sr85 wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 3:35pm Ross is garbage. Disgrace that he won last year's b and f ahead if marshall. Some people must just look at his stats and assume because he has 25 touches he's played well.
Never mind the fact that half of his touches either go to the opposition or put a team mate under pressure. People that continue to be impressed with garbage possessions only keep the saints happy with mediocre unskilled players. We need skill.
So Seb is a 2 times b&f winner now and club vice captain as voted by coaches and peers that play and train with him day in day out. It's impossible as a fan that doesnt get to many games or training to have any idea of the value a player brings to the group. If that all makes sense, then you might consider dialling back the adjectives.
All that said, for the saints to really challenge, Seb needs to not be one of our best three mids.

ace
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 14 Oct 2020 9:24am We have pick 15 in play? Not a strong hand, so trading out some players will have to be part of whatever we try to achieve. If we packaged up a couple of players to North Melbourne, would they bite (Savage, Dunstan, Webster, Mckenzie)? At best, we'd be looking at maybe a couple of second round picks back. Primarily, we need two midfielders and another ruck. An additional key position player might be on the wish list, too.

Bottom line is we have a worse hand than we had last year. Bruce and Steven gave us a useable pick and a throwaway pick. We'd definitely need to trade out some players this year to get even 3/5 of what we achieved last year. We have a smart team running the show at the moment, but, gee, they'll have to be very creative this year. It'll be fascinating.
Pick 15 now but with free agency compensations and being queue jumped by clubs grabbing father/son and NGA plyers we will be lucky if that becomes 18.
One of the hazards of playing finals football is you don't get much in the way of pick currency.

When you have pick currency you can spend that trading in players or go to the draft.
But when you have little pick currency you need to use the lure of finals opportunities to bring in star free agents.

When Hawthorn went after O'Meara they spend all their draft currency and even the AFL accepting cheating, then had the last few compulsory picks in the draft = would have been rookies.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

How about we trade Billings for Bontempeli.
And seeing Billings was drafted ahead of the Bont we get some steak knives as well.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
footynut
Club Player

If we dont put our hat in the rig for Cameron and Crouch we're stupid! Cameron would be amazing for Kings development and only cost cap space.
Caldwell great young talent, would be starting 22
Start there.

Then....
-So I'd be approching Adelaide offering Dunstan & someone maybe Mckenzie for their pick 20 and a swap of later picks.
-Telling the Bulldogs that if they want Lonie they need to find a pick in the 20's or workout a deal involving Lochie Hunter.
-Approaching North with offer for their pick 25 might involve Hind / Kent

All in an attempt to keep to best 18 together, improve our bottom six players, poach an A-Grader or two. While keeping our FRDP and not desimating future picks

Lets be honest I have no inside knowledge, I'm just going to cross my fingers and pray