Guess who has a calf strain?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Guess who has a calf strain?

Ya canna Hanna manna (ova tha hilla) betta super
:D

too good

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 04 Feb 2021 10:32am
B.M wrote: Wed 03 Feb 2021 7:58pm Is a calf strain a huge deal, more than a month from the season?
I would not have thought so.
For the average player no, but for one with years of chronic leg injuries...

It would be like saying Paddy getting a head-knock in a preseason game is no big deal, players get concussed all the time!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

July 2018

Sydney coach John Longmire revealed in his post-match press conference that out of form midfielder Hannebery strained his calf in the opening quarter before spending the rest of the night in the forward line.

The midfielder is expected to miss the next three weeks with the strain

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/sydney ... 33d4eab125

Summary/conclusion: Increasing age and previous calf strain injury are the most predictive of future calf injury.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28259848/

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I was so happy for Dan and for his teammates and for all Saints supporters when Hannas recently came first in a time trial. He’s obviously worked hard to achieve that result and he’s obviously worked hard ALL his sporting life. I was also hoping that it would be the end of his repeat soft tissue injuries. I wish him the best and hope he has a speedy recovery.

I’d like to ask some general questions. These are general questions and they are not specific to any individual. I think they are important if St Kilda are in the business of recruiting Free Agents and senior players from other clubs.

Sorry the questions being asked appear in this thread and sorry to raise speculation again which could be linked to a player who has had inuuendo and rumours circulating here and in the mainstream media

When a player is being courted do we get access to medical files or incidences of self reporting from rival clubs?

When a player gets a medical from St Kilda doctors and conditioning staff, and prior to contracts being signed, do we also get access to the AFL’s files on players who have tested positive to recreational drugs or to players who have self reported?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 04 Feb 2021 11:59am
B.M wrote: Wed 03 Feb 2021 7:58pm Is a calf strain a huge deal, more than a month from the season?

It would be like saying Paddy getting a head-knock in a preseason game is no big deal, players get concussed all the time!

Bit like you saying that the covid virus was no worse than the common cold. Eh?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

or a bit like having a go at peoples opinion if they dont have a medical degree
When the weight of evidence both past and present would indicate that he has chronic damage and gets continual leg injuries.
And even in the face of this evidence your opinion has more weight because you have some sort of medical degree to back you up.

Seeya
asiu
Saintsational Legend

the self - reporting part of the question
is (officially) a no ... iirc

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 04 Feb 2021 10:36am You might be forgiven for thinking that some of the posters on here have the initials MD after their names.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Aren’t you the guy that had a crack at me saying that my advice based on 15 years of clinical experience and masters degree in mental health meant little compared to the knowledge you gained from your wife’s friend having depression?

Lol... it’s fun to twist logic when when it suits us

From now on nobody without a medical degree suggest any concerns about Hannebery’s soft tissue injuries and on that note... I don’t want to hear any concerns about Paddy McCartin potentially having difficulties with concussions

We don’t know

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 04 Feb 2021 3:39pm

Bit like you saying that the covid virus was no worse than the common cold. Eh?
For those of us born after television arrived in Australia, yep 👍

:D

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I think the club knew it was a risk when they recruited him and backed our medical staff to give him the best chance possible of playing . And there were multiple layers as to why he was recruited. I think many of us didn’t think we would get more than a perhaps 10-12 games a year from him. Seems like even that now appears optimistic.

Anyway, I’m personally more disappointed for Clav. Destined to be a player who never gets his body right. I hope I’m wrong as would love him to come good and reunite with his fellow U18 AA defenders Paton and Coffield

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Sanctorum
Club Player

I would have thought that with Hannebery's calf and hamstring problems in recent years the team's medical staff will be well practiced in getting him back into shape. The report said "tight calf" which does not mean necessarily that it was an actual injury, so there's no point in jumping to a worst scenario conclusion.

The season is still 6 weeks away - first game against GWS on March 21, so plenty of time for him to be fit by then.

I do agree that the club will be wise to manage his schedule, especially in the first half of the season, because his availability for finals will be crucial.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I agree a player having a calf strain in isolation is no issue.

However my favorite saying at work for years was "I don't look at isolated incidents and form an opinion, I look for patterns and repetition".

If anyone cannot see the pattern here I think they may require a new set of gogs (goggles or glasses for those under 50 YO).

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

fake news? Club describes AFL Preseason: "Fit, Firing, Smiling." Pictures available.

Meanwhile at other clubs recruits are dropping like flies: Brown, Knee; De Goey Chest strain and Zoom stress, Scully done - it goes on.

Dan has not had a recurrence of falling down stairs at Sis' fiance's reno syndrome which is a credit to someone.

Its nearly March! Can't wait.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone think we would have even bothered recruiting Dan in a fair open market....say if we could just keep our money...and didn’t have to report expenditure. It’s the byzantine ways that the cap and budget that forced our hand...lucky for Dan’s bank manager. Of course I hope he has a blinder of a season..but I cannot imagine that our medicos reports on the matter were much more than, “Is he breathing? “ “ Can he talk?” They need to include, “Can he walk up the stairs at his sisters house?”

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d be more worried if he was going to miss games?

No games in early Feb, so not too concerned

saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 04 Feb 2021 4:39pm or a bit like having a go at peoples opinion if they dont have a medical degree
When the weight of evidence both past and present would indicate that he has chronic damage and gets continual leg injuries.
And even in the face of this evidence your opinion has more weight because you have some sort of medical degree to back you up.
Yep. That is so f****** obvious. :wink:

ps. I don't have a medical degree and probably no one else commenting on this thread does either.

I will go with the club which isn't overly concerned at this point.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 04 Feb 2021 10:36am You might be forgiven for thinking that some of the posters on here have the initials MD after their names.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Worth bumping. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

The Billings Method
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 04 Feb 2021 7:00pm I would have thought that with Hannebery's calf and hamstring problems in recent years the team's medical staff will be well practiced in getting him back into shape. The report said "tight calf" which does not mean necessarily that it was an actual injury, so there's no point in jumping to a worst scenario conclusion.

The season is still 6 weeks away - first game against GWS on March 21, so plenty of time for him to be fit by then.

I do agree that the club will be wise to manage his schedule, especially in the first half of the season, because his availability for finals will be crucial.
Tight calf=serious concern. Just another football club euphemism to prevent panic amongst the supporters and keep the memberships rolling in.

Why did they keep it secret for a fortnight? In the end, it doesn't matter what the news is. If he plays, great. If he doesn't we're pretty much in the same situation as we have been for the last couple of years.

Enter, stage right, Brad Crouch, round 3. Time to shine, Brad. Hanner's? It's starting to sound a lot like "A. Hamill, knee, 2 weeks."

Any other footy euphemisms you fellow forumites can think of? My favourite is, " Hamstring awareness" which equals serious strain or tear. For any of us who've done a hammy, you certainly become aware if it pretty quickly.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Fri 05 Feb 2021 11:37am
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 04 Feb 2021 7:00pm I would have thought that with Hannebery's calf and hamstring problems in recent years the team's medical staff will be well practiced in getting him back into shape. The report said "tight calf" which does not mean necessarily that it was an actual injury, so there's no point in jumping to a worst scenario conclusion.

Tight calf=serious concern. Just another football club euphemism to prevent panic amongst the supporters and keep the memberships rolling in.

Why did they keep it secret for a fortnight? In the end, it doesn't matter what the news is. If he plays, great. If he doesn't we're pretty much in the same situation as we have been for the last couple of years.

Enter, stage right, Brad Crouch, round 3. Time to shine, Brad. Hanner's? It's starting to sound a lot like "A. Hamill, knee, 2 weeks."

Any other footy euphemisms you fellow forumites can think of? My favourite is, " Hamstring awareness" which equals serious strain or tear. For any of us who've done a hammy, you certainly become aware if it pretty quickly.
Sounds like witch talk to me

I prefer to be told what to think and the club assures us it’s just a strain. I look forward to and am confidant of 20+ games, at a level near/at his peak

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The club was confident he was going to play round 1 2019...

The Billings Method
Club Player

For one hundred and twenty years, clubs have been using the same skullduggery and for 120 years supporters have professed their faith. A.Hamill, knee - 2 weeks. Skeptic, I get the meaning of your post. The club never lies, does it?😀

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Fri 05 Feb 2021 1:04pm For one hundred and twenty years, clubs have been using the same skullduggery and for 120 years supporters have professed their faith. A.Hamill, knee - 2 weeks. Skeptic, I get the meaning of your post. The club never lies, does it?😀
How dare you sir!

The Billings Method
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 05 Feb 2021 1:40pm
The Billings Method wrote: Fri 05 Feb 2021 1:04pm For one hundred and twenty years, clubs have been using the same skullduggery and for 120 years supporters have professed their faith. A.Hamill, knee - 2 weeks. Skeptic, I get the meaning of your post. The club never lies, does it?😀
How dare you sir!

And nothing better to reinforce one's post than a classic Simpon's reference! Well played, skeptic. You win the interwebs for today.😂

Saintmike65
Club Player

I heard this morning Hanners will be back to full training Monday.