Our ruck situation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our ruck situation

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 3:35pm Image

Then watch how many frees we give away for tripping! :lol:

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Sat 17 Apr 2021 5:21pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 17 Apr 2021 1:22pm Alabakis!!!??

Seriously? Let’s pick the young project ruck that’s only played VFL and never remotely looked close to being selected

Geeez I’ve read some dumb stuff but this seriously takes the cake

While we’re at it... drop Howard for Joyce and redraft Paddy McCartin
yeah and you could argue that hes not even fit for VFL level
At this point he is 24 and looking like he will never make it - very surprised he remained on our list last year but there you go.
Hardwick raised an interesting point about the mid year draft - that players contracted at clubs not getting a chance could be made available in what I could only described as a loan situation.
However he highlighted a player on their list Ryan Sampson and said he is ready to go at AFL level
His bio states 206cm 100kg and highly skilled
I guess my post re Alabakis was a wee bit to subtle for some. All I was suggesting that he would be match fit after doing three pre-seasons with the saints, unlike Hunter who has done none....hence my comment that he is AFL fit....I never f****** suggested we play him FFS. :roll:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Lol right

Anyone else want to name players not to suggest?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 17 Apr 2021 5:20pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 17 Apr 2021 3:16pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 17 Apr 2021 2:35pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 17 Apr 2021 10:26am
SaintPav wrote: Fri 16 Apr 2021 9:32pmProblem?
I think he shrunk. Old age.
Are you still hammered?

Be honest.
Not funny. I'm a reformed bulls*** artist.
Well, you said it (about being pissed) so don't be so touchy.
im not touchy. I said what exactly?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 17 Apr 2021 9:03pm
Are you still hammered?

Be honest.
That you were pissed you posted after last week's game.

I'm just kidding.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 17 Apr 2021 9:04pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 17 Apr 2021 9:03pm
Are you still hammered?

Be honest.
That you were pissed you posted after last week's game.

I'm just kidding.
Oh yes. I did. Thats ok.

I thought the shrinking due to old age at 34 was funny. I thought we might have persisted with him too. Alabakis seems to have bed a bad call in comparison but obviously cheaper.
Your response was strange but that's all good.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Question

If Marlon Pickett lined up in the ruck against Paul Hunter and Jake Carlisle ... both whom are 200cm and 100kg

Why didn’t either of the run and jump straight through him at centre bounce???

The audacity of him lining up in the ruck, should have been met with a knee in the chest!!!

Weak as piss by our bigs

One bit of play perplexed me involving Hunter

The ball was coming out of D50 on the half back flank, and Hunter was on the wing. All the had to do was lead towards the boundary and be an option. Instead he ran away from the footy, the ball was kicked towards the boundary, it went out and was called deliberate.
WTF wouldn’t he call for the footy? It’s like he was trying to get away from where the ball was clearly going??

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Are you still hammered?

Be honest.
Wait a dang minute....if people are getting touched I'd like to put my name on the list, its been a while.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 18 Apr 2021 2:21am Question

If Marlon Pickett lined up in the ruck against Paul Hunter and Jake Carlisle ... both whom are 200cm and 100kg

The audacity of him lining up in the ruck, should have been met with a knee in the chest!!!

Weak as piss by our bigs

The ball was coming out of D50 on the half back flank, and Hunter was on the wing. All the had to do was lead towards the boundary and be an option. Instead he ran away from the footy, the ball was kicked towards the boundary, it went out and was called deliberate.
WTF wouldn’t he call for the footy? It’s like he was trying to get away from where the ball was clearly going??
Yeah should have absolutely smashed him.

On the second bit with Hunter..
We really dont know how good he is and in his defence, he really hasnt been in the system long enough.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Here are our ruck stocks as I see them

Ryder - Gun number one tap ruckman, capable of resting forward to moderate effect
Marshall - Outstanding ruck/forward with massive impact around the ground, okay in hitouts
Carlisle - Capable of pinch hitting in the ruck, excellent at dropping back in intercepting, decoy forward only

Hunter - Not AFL standard in any area but does try hard
McKernan - Potentially could provide support up forward in case of dire injury situation and occasionally pinch hit in ruck. Ideally will never play again. Definitely not a starting ruck
Alabakis - Not yet VFL standard therefore nowhere near being a senior option

Frankly I'm very surprised that we cut Bell and am disappointed that the best our recruiters could muster as backup is Hunter and McKernan. Just having a semi-competent backup like Tom Campbell, Archie Smith, Matt Flynn, Andrew Phillips etc would have helped us immensely with Ryder and Marshall out.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Weak as piss by our bigs

Totally BM. That was the waving of the white flag right there. A clear and unambiguous message to all that were watching that this side has concentration issues and are unable to read the context of a game and mindset of the opposition. Richmond might as well have started calling us soft to our faces but putting Pickett in the ruck was even more up in our grille than that.

Question BM, which premier ruckman is gettable from another club, clearly bringing in a readymade premiere ruckman has to be the sole focus of the recruiters as it stands.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 19 Apr 2021 11:44pm
Are you still hammered?

Be honest.
Wait a dang minute....if people are getting touched I'd like to put my name on the list, its been a while.
Where does the queue start???

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 9:02am

Weak as piss by our bigs

Totally BM. That was the waving of the white flag right there. A clear and unambiguous message to all that were watching that this side has concentration issues and are unable to read the context of a game and mindset of the opposition. Richmond might as well have started calling us soft to our faces but putting Pickett in the ruck was even more up in our grille than that.

Question BM, which premier ruckman is gettable from another club, clearly bringing in a readymade premiere ruckman has to be the sole focus of the recruiters as it stands.
My guess would be Goldstein, something we should have done two years ago when he was a F.A..

Agree with MSG about Hunter, McKernan & Alabakis, why release a kid like Bell and fill our list with those three. Fingers crossed we use a mid season pick on the most promising kid overlooked after no TAC / VFL last year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 10:26am
Vortex wrote: Tue 20 Apr 2021 9:02am

Weak as piss by our bigs

My guess would be Goldstein, something we should have done two years ago when he was a F.A..

Agree with MSG about Hunter, McKernan & Alabakis, why release a kid like Bell and fill our list with those three. Fingers crossed we use a mid season pick on the most promising kid overlooked after no TAC / VFL last year.
Agree and if they had kept Bell maybe he would have been more careful with his golf shot before smashing a golf ball into King's head.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Weak as piss by our bigs

Was thinking exactly the same thing.

Charge through this fucker and rattle his rib cage with a knee and see how he comes back after that, but no our big blokes treated him with respects as if he was Gawn or Grundy.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

We have two very good ruckmen

They just happened to be injured at the moment