Interesting article re mid season draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting article re mid season draft

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 2:35pm
Munga I will go as far as saying Clavarino wont be on our list next year. He simply doesnt have the physical traits to make it at the top level. Its exactly why we are desparate to attract another key defender.
Interesting take. Have you seen him this year, is he a bigger unit? I don't know what he was like previously. Is it muscle, athleticism, height, speed, what worries you?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 3:30pm
Munga I will go as far as saying Clavarino wont be on our list next year. He simply doesnt have the physical traits to make it at the top level. Its exactly why we are desparate to attract another key defender.
Interesting take. Have you seen him this year, is he a bigger unit? I don't know what he was like previously. Is it muscle, athleticism, height, speed, what worries you?
I might be a bit harsh on him but he just looks like one of the long loose limbed players who never develop a strong physique. He reminds me of a slower version of Earl Spalding.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 4:09pm
Munga wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 3:30pm
I might be a bit harsh on him but he just looks like one of the long loose limbed players who never develop a strong physique. He reminds me of a slower version of Earl Spalding.
A bit harsh?? Are you kidding ?:roll: :roll:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

24 y/o Jack Hayes 193cm forward SANFL another mid season draft prospect. Is averaging 22.5 disposals, 7.3 marks, 1.5 goals and 7.3 tackles a game this year. Quoted as the most dominant and versatile player in the SANFL, plays forward, can ruck and play in defence.

seano1
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 22 Apr 2021 10:50am Yes, youth, but ...

The idea of " going for kids" sounds nice. I wonder if it is the optimal strategy a Melbourne club b for now? Teams like Hawthorn and Geelong have been successful over the last ten years by picking up talent other teams have paid in time, money, a precious space on their lists and whatever other resources to develop and nurture. Gold Coast and G Ws, with all their subsidies and support are nursery clubs and should be exploited for this. Look at Lynch at Richmond.Then opportunistic pickings aka Douglas Howard and Wilkie are other Hawatorn and Geelong trademarks.

On the other hand, Richmonds haw-than and Geelong are considered to be destination clubs so they get the cream. They get trained youth, experienced mid-careeras well as late career achievers- We get hannebery. I don't want St Kilda to become a nursery club by default.
True to some degree but hawks only had a go i think at one recycled player per trade period and played hard ball to a degree then drafted young ones which went to box hill to learn the craft , they have bottomed out to a point where this year the young ones are in trying to get that 50-100 game time into them . Cats will possibly fall in a heap with retirements this year and next but they do have a good bit of talent in their backyard which will help them once they get the 50-100 games into those guys .
We went after too many recycled guys too quickly and it will hurt us long term, watching sandy last week was evidence of this imo

B.M
Saintsational Legend

At 194 he is too small to even be a back up ruckman in the AFL

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 11:00am At 194 he is too small to even be a back up ruckman in the AFL
Are you joking? He is a key forward who has been playing as a backup ruck in the SANFL. If he can play the tall forward 2nd ruck role it would be a benefit to our list when Paddy retires.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s been playing in the ruck, in the SANFL

The Billings Method
Club Player

Two words. Paul Hunter.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 11:34pm He’s been playing in the ruck, in the SANFL
Rowan Marshall had been playing solely as a Forward when we drafted him - it means that they can play a number of positions which is a positive.

And I agree with Billings Method, Paul Hunter is the worst excuse of an AFL footballer ever to be given a game. Hunter even looks ordinary at VFL level, what the recruiters saw in him defies any reckoning. Then we still have Alabakis on our list, who makes Hunter look good and both are spuds. It just highlights the fools we have in our recruiting team.

older saint
SS Life Member

Remember also we took Claravino just before Petrucelli was drafted . Surely his pace and goal sense at Marvel would have been useful

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Draft a lucky charm and an MDS with uncanny before the incident diagnosis skills.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 29 Apr 2021 1:36pm Draft a lucky charm and an MDS with uncanny before the incident diagnosis skills.
Did you hear James Reyne singing and attempted to write down the lyrics.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting article re mid season deraft

Bowey Boy wrote: Sun 18 Apr 2021 11:07pm Don’t think he would want to leave Port Fairy to come to us.
He would certainly want more than a half season rookie contract.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 29 Apr 2021 11:55am
B.M wrote: Wed 28 Apr 2021 11:34pm He’s been playing in the ruck, in the SANFL
Rowan Marshall had been playing solely as a Forward when we drafted him - it means that they can play a number of positions which is a positive.

And I agree with Billings Method, Paul Hunter is the worst excuse of an AFL footballer ever to be given a game. Hunter even looks ordinary at VFL level, what the recruiters saw in him defies any reckoning. Then we still have Alabakis on our list, who makes Hunter look good and both are spuds. It just highlights the fools we have in our recruiting team.
I think you will find fools are actually far more talented.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 29 Apr 2021 1:25pm Remember also we took Claravino just before Petrucelli was drafted . Surely his pace and goal sense at Marvel would have been useful
We say we draft best available but thats BS, we have always done the opposite in looking to fill holes in the list with the wrong draft choices, year after year.

2007 #9 McEvoy because we needed a ruckman, only to trade him shortly after disaster.
2008 #13 Tom Lynch and Lyon didnt rate him disaster.
2009 traded out 1st round for Lovett disaster.
2010 #25 Jamie Cripps left as soon as he could disaster.
2011 traded out 1st round for Ahmed Saad & Terry Milera disaster.
2012 traded out 1st round for Tom Lee disaster.
2013 the year of the choir boys # 3 Billings, 18 Dunstan, 19 Acres 3 × 1st round choices disaster.
2014 #1 McCartin & # 21 Goddard because we needed a key forward & defender complete disaster.
2015 #18 Gresham ☆ started trading out 2nd round 2016 pick for Freeman disaster.
2016 traded out 1st round with Hawthorn. Traded 2nd round for Steele☆ Draft #25 Long.
2017 #7 Hunter ☆ & #8 Coffield ☆ #35 Clavarino as we still needed a key defender disaster.
2018 #4 King ☆ #41 Bytel ☆ Traded in Hannebrey disaster.
2019 traded out Acres #10, #58 plus 2nd & 4th rounds 2020 for Hill, absolute complete disaster.
Traded in Jones, Ryder, Howard, Butler ☆
2020 #26 McLeod-Allison (again filling a hole and lot of players have jumped in front of him). Crouch FA ☆

So there has been some sucess stories in recent times, but overall the disasters far out weigh the sucesses. Yet we members keep throwing our hard earned at these fools.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

How was 2017 a "disaster"??? I don't understand that.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://www.afl.com.au/news/603543/ex-p ... er-is-back

Some interesting changes to this years mid season draft. First time drafted players can nominate 6 months or 18 month terms, plus previously contracted players can put a $$$, above base line payments.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 29 Apr 2021 6:25pm How was 2017 a "disaster"??? I don't understand that.
Just Clavarino I have put a line through his name as to never play AFL (opinion only).

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

A great article on Nathan Freeman now playing at Frankston. I know he does some Player Agent/Manager work but the way he talks up his team mates as draft options shows he is a real quality bloke and a shame he didn't make it with the Saints.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/28/ ... -lifeline/