Tony Lockett what a legend

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tony Lockett what a legend

Darrel Baldock said Plugger was the most skillful player he had ever seen. High praise in deed. Many of these skills went either unseen or unused. He could kick either foot, handball either hand, pick up a ball from the ground without the hint of a fumble and mark a ball over his head or over the pack. What we now know is that he was never "fit" for any of his games. This led to his main fault - a lack of long runs and the inability to give second and third efforts. Part of this was his asthma, which of course makes his record look even better.

His game against Geelong in the final of 1991 was the most dominant by a full forward in a final I have ever seen. The one blot on his game was his accuracy. Whilst he kicked 9 goals 5 behinds, he should have kicked 12 goals, with three shots missing by less than a metre. Alas, at the other end, Brownless played the game of his life (8 goals 3 behinds). And as others have said, we had both Nathan Burke Burke and David Grant knocked out in the first half, and other players injured as well. There were only 2 reserves back then and no medial subs. And both Burke and Grant were at the peak of their powers, with Grant receiving AA honours and Burke close to it. And the finals system was changed after it was "realised" that the loser of the 3 v 4 game was screwed. A bit like the rules of the scores after a siren malfunction were changed after we lost two games because of it. Or goals were reviewed between the signal and the bounce just to see if the ball hit the post. I could go on.

darylcowie
Club Player

George27 wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 9:39pm Once kicked 10.7 ( out of 13.18) on ( apparently ) the full back of the century. Lockett had one free that day and eight against him. Knowing Silvagni’s scragging tactics, if that game was umpired under today’s rules Plugger would have got the frees and kicked 20+ goals that day.

Best ever
I saw Plugger kick 12 out of 14 goals against the Dees at the G in the late 80s.
We lost by 8 goals.
I also remember a game in the early 90s where Ablett kicked 14 and I think Salmon kicked 12 at the other end.
My point is how good was Plugger in a losing team?

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
silverhalo
Club Player

Lockett is definitely the greatest player and match winner I've ver seen. How many times did he just take a game by the scruff of the neck and win it off his own boot!
Sensational one grab mark and the most accurate kick I think the game has ever seen......once in a century player IMO.