McKenzie on finding self belief.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: McKenzie on finding self belief.

McKenzie had a very good year under Richardson which led him to finish top 10 in the B&F despite missing several games

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If you had a nickname with one syllable and it sounded cool for Cho to use your nickname then you were a good chance to be playing seniors after a good game in the magoos

He loved to say…yeah nah, we had some strong performers for the Zebs. I think we’ll be strengthening our team with Sav, Lones, Mav, and Noons.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did none of those players ever play good footy at StK?

They all received top ten B&F results in the 2015-2017 period when we were pretty well performed

I think the role of HF is not well understood

All of those players + Acres and Sinclair spent time at HF and during this period were criticised for lack of output.

It’s a tough role, especially if you have a defensive job

Newnes, Sinclair and Acres generally performed well on the Wing but were less effective across HF - and people expected the same 20+ which is unrealistic

Mav had a really good season as a run with inside mid
But was then given a defensive role across FF

Which is what makes Billings underrated

He generally gets 20 and near a goal per game in that role, which in my mind is an A Grade HF
Very few in the league get those numbers unless they play HB or Midfield

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 2:45pm McKenzie had a very good year under Richardson which led him to finish top 10 in the B&F despite missing several games
Obviously Cho had a positive influence on some of his players, however the big picture stuff and the ability to get the team winning enough games on a consistent basis wasn’t there.

Ratts has taken a guy like DMac with little or zero confidence in 2020 and helped him focus on certain aspects and given him the confidence to shine. Cho was the absolute reverse on some of our players who had the skills and they went backwards or out the door

In 2018 DMac saved Cho’s bacon with the win up on the Gold Coast in Round 13. We were the laughing stock of the AFL that year and the only reason (the main reason) Cho wasn’t sacked before the Gold Coast game was because of the costly payout with his contract extension in late 2017.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 3:04pm
"…….Billings underrated

He generally gets 20 and near a goal per game in that role, which in my mind is an A Grade HF
Very few in the league get those numbers unless they play HB or Midfield
How many top ten finishes has JB had in the TBM?

Do you think JB has performed at a high level consistently and especially in the marquee games or the games where we need our best players to lead the way? As a number 3 pick has he lived up to that high expectation?

Lastly; Would Billings have been a better player if he was taken under the wing by a different footy club or another coach?

That last question is probably too hard to answer and too hypothetical so don’t worry about it

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 2:27pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 9:25am
saintsRrising wrote: Thu 15 Jul 2021 8:03pm The main improvement I have seen in DMac this year is his football judgement.

He in previous years always struck me more as a very athletic and quick player who was also fearless and very hard at the contest, but who at times seem to lack football good football judgment. Bad decisions were common, including poor use of the ball the ball.

This season he seems seems to have really improved his football judgement.

He more often is in the right place at the right time, and is using the ball better,
Is DMac keeping Battle out of the side?
You might be right Vortex, and while they're on a roll and winning Battle may struggle to break back into the team - he is listed as "injured" right now.

I had DMac's papers stamped ages ago, despite his contract to 2022, but he has lifted his form and seems to like the new role Ratten has given him. All of a sudden our footy team has a lot more depth than we thought it did, because Ben Long is also doing better. It wasn't all that long ago that Lonie would have got a game after kicking 5 in the 2nds, but not now, which is great.
I wonder if Ratts needs to find Battle a spot to settle into for a while and pause the plan to develop him into a utility player.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 3:20pm
saintsRrising wrote: Thu 15 Jul 2021 8:03pm The main improvement I have seen in DMac this year is his football judgement.

He in previous years always struck me more as a very athletic and quick player who was also fearless and very hard at the contest, but who at times seem to lack football good football judgment. Bad decisions were common, including poor use of the ball the ball.

He more often is in the right place at the right time, and is using the ball better,
You might be right Vortex, and while they're on a roll and winning Battle may struggle to break back into the team - he is listed as "injured" right now.

I had DMac's papers stamped ages ago, despite his contract to 2022, but he has lifted his form and seems to like the new role Ratten has given him. All of a sudden our footy team has a lot more depth than we thought it did, because Ben Long is also doing better. It wasn't all that long ago that Lonie would have got a game after kicking 5 in the 2nds, but not now, which is great.
I wonder if Ratts needs to find Battle a spot to settle into for a while and pause the plan to develop him into a utility player.
I reckon Battle might leave the Sainthood. I've ust got an eerie feeling he is going to be part of an Acres/Hill type deal.

The Barometer
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 12:43am Those have obviously ended up being good decisions

I don’t think I’m an expert, I’m not employed in the AFL, as you are not. We are just fans with an opinion.

I’d like to know any one post where I have claimed expertise?!

There’s just a few posters on here who don’t like the way I post- which is fine.

As long as it’s the POV being debated - do you think that’s always the case?
You called out the experts- when did anyone else claim expertise? Do you even realise that all I did was turn your post around?
I love a debate with people that can actually debate.

Anyway, back on topic as you ask.
I'm happy for McKenzie and had long ago written him off. Always brought effort but the way we are using him means that the effort is now being harnessed in a much more effective way.

Absolute credit to the coaching staff and McKenzie for turning it around.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 3:30pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 3:20pm

I reckon Battle might leave the Sainthood. I've ust got an eerie feeling he is going to be part of an Acres/Hill type deal.
I hope not but I can see how it's a possibility. The question for me is does that mean DMac and possibly Wood have been viewed as better options?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If I had to guess, I’d say Jack has finished top ten 4 or 5 times in the TBM

Top 5 a couple of times

Has he been a good player
Yes

Plays a tough position very well, very underrated

Sanctorum
Club Player

Now that it's been confirmed that Battle is out for the rest of the season with a crook ankle that will require surgery I doubt that he'll be traded to another club next year.

The best is yet to come from Josh and I'm quite sure that the coaches will resist any suggestion that he should be traded.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 5:07pm
Now that it's been confirmed that Battle is out for the rest of the season with a crook ankle that will require surgery I doubt that he'll be traded to another club next year.

The best is yet to come from Josh and I'm quite sure that the coaches will resist any suggestion that he should be traded.
Yes now we have a reason for him not being in the side, I'm releaved as I think he will be an important player to our structure.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 5:00pm If I had to guess, I’d say Jack has finished top ten 4 or 5 times in the TBM

Top 5 a couple of times

Yes

Jack?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Billings

He has finished

5th in 2017
9th in 2018
4th in 2019

Not bad results for a HFF/Wing

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 5:15pm
B.M wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 5:00pm If I had to guess, I’d say Jack has finished top ten 4 or 5 times in the TBM

Top 5 a couple of times

Yes

Jack?
HE SAID IT'S A TOUGH POSITION

He didn't say that Jack is tough :mrgreen:

In all seriousness though, he does get a few extra handball receives than most.

I believe our blokes look for Jack (and so they should) because he's a terrific field kick

His set shot kicking and his accuracy has improved immensely the last 3 years