Players chatting after the game.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Players chatting after the game.

For a long time, VFL/AFL was one of the few sports where opponents did not talk to each other after the game - in the sight of the fans. There was usually an after match event where both teams mingled and drank. With players moving between clubs as a matter of course, the players are less tribal than in the old days -hence the chat on field. But not the supporters. Perhaps clubs could look at paying supporters to shift their allegiance. Moving to Collingwood would unfortunately require the removal of some teeth, but could still be lucrative.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 12:07pm Is it really that big of a deal? If a player wants to sook after a loss, he doesn't deserve to win. It's actually a very good look for the game in my opinion. In a "monkey see, monkey do" business that seeps all the way through to juniors, sportsmanship & being gracious in winning or losing can only be a good thing.
Tell that to Max Hudgton who I remember came off bawling after one loss......my admiration for him went through the roof
It’s a little thing and I get the jumper to players doesn’t mean as much....it’s business ....
To paying supporters it’s just nice occasionally to see a little care factor ...

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 3:58pm
Ghost Like wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 12:07pm Is it really that big of a deal? If a player wants to sook after a loss, he doesn't deserve to win. It's actually a very good look for the game in my opinion. In a "monkey see, monkey do" business that seeps all the way through to juniors, sportsmanship & being gracious in winning or losing can only be a good thing.
Tell that to Max Hudgton who I remember came off bawling after one loss......my admiration for him went through the roof
It’s a little thing and I get the jumper to players doesn’t mean as much....it’s business ....
To paying supporters it’s just nice occasionally to see a little care factor ...
I get that a player can be upset and care. Crying after a loss is fine. I'm sure he shook the hands of his opponents after that game. I'm also quite confident he'd chatted with an opposition player after a match, likely an ex team mate.
Means nothing to me. As does throwing a tantrum. What they do the next match is infinitely more important than their carry-on in the minutes after the siren.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

For the record, crying is different to sooking and throwing a tantrum. All by the way do not change the result. Crying is a genuine emotion, good on Max and any other player who has. Sooking and tantrums are flaws in a character.

older saint
SS Life Member

I have no issue them having a chat after the game, where both sides have gone out played their guts out and as usually happens in sport one team wins and one team loses. Sure if someone snipers or cheap shot someone you may fresh air them but no point ignoring the opposition because they were better.

Where it gets me is when a side rolls over with a piss poor performance and is then seen laughing on the ground with the opposition after the game, that raises an alarm bell to me. The opponent could well be a best mate and we have all played against someone like that smashed each other and then joked about it after a game.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I don't care if they have a chat after the game, it won't change the result, it's a different era now. No biggy. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The good sides do it

happy feet
Club Player

They have always done it. The players from different teams have socialized together for years. Read some of the old Just for Kicks boos for plenty of examples.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Today's generation of footballers are different to the old days, witness players choosing to skip games to be with family in times of need, so it doesn't bother me at all when they catch up for a brief chat and laugh with their buddies in the other teams.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 4:17pm For the record, crying is different to sooking and throwing a tantrum. All by the way do not change the result. Crying is a genuine emotion, good on Max and any other player who has. Sooking and tantrums are flaws in a character.
Was actually a tad tongue in cheek but carry on...

“Yeah….nah””
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Gershwin wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 8:24pm The game has just finished and there I am ready to throw the remote at the TV and our blokes are chatting away to their opposition mates !!

I have no problem with them shaking their hand with a mumbled 'good game' but this 'how's your 2 year old, is she walking yet' or whatever they talk about infuriates me. Get into the dressing room, knock over the drink table and show some anger.

Just can't imagine Plugger, Spud, Joffa etc. exchanging recipes or 'where did you get the lovely orange boots' with the opposition minutes after losing a must win game.
Plugger, Spud and Joffa were too busy running off the ground to avoid thousands of fans.
Who knows what they would have done if this wasn't the case.
Nothing wrong with a chat after the game FFS.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Gershwin
Club Player

Ok, so I don’t watch many other sports.

Do the players stay on the ground and chat after:
NRL
Soccer
Cricket
Rugby Union
NFL
Basketball

Or do they just shake hands and leave?

summertime and the living is easy ........
Freebird
Club Player

You sound like a bad sport Gershwin
Professionals don't like losing but there is nothing worse than behaving childishly when you lose...must be gracious in defeat

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I guess the issue is the way it looks as opposed to the actual chatting per’se

After that Port game, a reasonable take of the fan base was that collectively we were both disappointed in the result and the performance. It was a miserable game all round. The chats and giggles post game suggested that the players weren’t really that bothered... which I’m sure wasn’t the case at all, but that’s the way it comes across.

One really wants to see that the players care as much as we do... as a great forumite once said (I forget who... may have been Pav), if they’re not going to turn up, why should I?

It didn’t look like a team that realised they’d pbly squandered their last shot at the finals

It’s the passion that we’re asking for

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 8:24pm
Just can't imagine Plugger, Spud, Joffa etc. exchanging recipes or 'where did you get the lovely orange boots' with the opposition minutes after losing a must win game.

Well I remember back in that era when post game the players and umpires all came into the Social Club and was not at all unusual to see them not just talking with one another, but doing it over a beer. Plus to us SC Members too.

Then one day it all stopped.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

IluvHarvey wrote: Wed 21 Jul 2021 3:26pm
Gershwin wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 8:24pm The game has just finished and there I am ready to throw the remote at the TV and our blokes are chatting away to their opposition mates !!

I have no problem with them shaking their hand with a mumbled 'good game' but this 'how's your 2 year old, is she walking yet' or whatever they talk about infuriates me. Get into the dressing room, knock over the drink table and show some anger.

Plugger, Spud and Joffa were too busy running off the ground to avoid thousands of fans.
Who knows what they would have done if this wasn't the case.
Nothing wrong with a chat after the game FFS.
Good point

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights